Artistes everyone likes but you don't?

Comments

• I think a lot of people in this thread don't know their ass from their elbow, but that could just be me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Every artist mentioned here has at least one/two songs that I can get w/.

One group Ill say I respect/Have 1 - 3 songs i like, but Just cant get w/ is....

So derivative IMO.

I really cant say I totally HATE any one artist. But there's a list of 30 or so muthafuckas that muthafuckas suck on too much.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think people have a lot of picky personal associations with certain artistes that has little or nothing to do with simply how their records sound. I don't listen to the radio or hang with stupid people with average mainstream taste (yeah, go ahead...snob). If I'm in bar, either I'm DJing or someone I know is.

That said, U2 is one of the best bands of my generation. They have six great albums that can be taken in threes. Steve Lillywhite productions: Boy, October and War. Daniel Lanois/Eno Productions: Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby. I've had War in my car for this week and that's great fucking record. Sorry.

I was so feeling the snob angle of this post... but you totally ruined it with your U2 love...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yuck...

• once you realize that its bernard purdie on the drums and not ringo and its george martin that really made them who they are..you get past the four faces and realize its just good music (the later part of their career anyways)..

Purdie's claim to have overdubbed drums on 21 early Beatles tracks has long since been proven false. He claimed he did overdubs for the Capitol releases of two records that had already appeared on Vee-Jay. But these records sound exactly the same.

• I really cant say I totally HATE any one artist.

Who actually does? the thread title is "Artistes everyone likes but you don't?".

i.e. I don??t like Tupac, Jay Z, Snoop Dog aso, but that does not mean that I disresepct them or that I hate their music. I simply don't like thug rap and especially commercial thug rap. AND I just saw to many weird 11 year old kids in XXXXXXXXXL shirts with Tupac print and a Tupac goldchain (insert Jay Z, insert Snoop, insert 50 cent...).

I really cant say I totally HATE any one artist.

Who actually does?

I do. I hate Sting. I would actually murder him if I thought I could get away with it.

• I really cant say I totally HATE any one artist.

Who actually does?

I do. I hate Sting. I would actually murder him if I thought I could get away with it.

Yes sting is

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    There's a lot of going on here.

BAN BAN BAN
    needs to be restated

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I think people have a lot of picky personal associations with certain artistes that has little or nothing to do with simply how their records sound.

I think that might be me and my association with the beatles. It goes back to the 4th grade when I decided that it was the Beatles that killed Elvis. By 5th grade I had decided that I HATED the beatles because those mopheads had turned rock and roll into some soft shit. Rockabilly and Doo Wop had died and I had blamed it on them. In retrospect, I suppose they would have died anyways after a while, but who knows. It was only after the soulstrut worship of the beatles that I thought "maybe I was being a bit to harsh" and I begrudgingly admit that they made good songs. But its pretty hard to shake almost 20 years of an anti beatlist mentality that was formed at such a young age.

And still, to this day I'll take The King over the Beatles when it comes to personal entertainment. In fact, I still rank Heartbreak Hotel as greater than anything the beatles have ever done, which I'm sure will sound ridiculous to most people.

And being a child of the 70s who grew up in the 80s I am sick to death of most 80s music (except for hip hop). I never really liked it that much the first time around. I don't like synth pop. I can't help it. I'm not guitarist, because I never listened to metal or punk or anything rock like that. I just don't like synthesizers. Don't like the way most of them sound. So when I first heard Run DMC I immediately stopped listening to anything that wasn't hip hop.

By 1996 I begrudglingly gave grunge a chance even though I way behind the times, and then started listening to everything from tejano, mambo, cowboy songs, spy music, classical music, jazz, bossa... anything I could get my hands on. Well, except for Rock, which I still couldn't really get into with the exception of a few songs here and there.

After a while I gave up on almost all new music. But then just last week I discovered this nice little album which I've really been enjoying:

Yellow House by Grizzly Bear. Really really cool shit. Perfect to zone out to while I'm a work.

Perhaps if it weren't for the beatles, music like this wouldn't exist. Who knows.

Oh- and then there is this group Nouvelle Vague which does kinda bossa-like covers of 80s tunes. As corny as it sounds, it works. And it doesn't have any lame ass synths, so I can finally enjoy some of these songs. hooray for me!

• timbaland

I somehow find it impossible that a person could find NOTHING to like from the this man's expansive body of work.
    If you can't get to Timbaland, you simply don't like hip-hop.
    I said it.

timbaland

I somehow find it impossible that a person could find NOTHING to like from the this man's expansive body of work.
    I said it.

I like Timbo but to say he's Hip Hop like THAT is an overstatement IMO. There a many production styles in the game that someone could easily ignore his style or lets say not prefer.

If you can't get to Timbaland, you simply don't like frenetic club music that typically distances itself from hip-hop disguised as hip-hop.

• timbaland

I said it.

The pop-tartish attempts at one up man ship in this thread are so weak.

I don't like the beatles
    oh, yeah I don't like the stones,
    oh, yeah well I don't like_________

We get it you are too cool for school, or you have just never heard anything by these artists beyond the stuff on the radio, or both. When I was a cocky little teenager and someone would ask me about a band I knew little or nothing about I would automatically say they suck. Sometimes I would actually listen to something by said band and find out it was good.

once you realize that its bernard purdie on the drums and not ringo and its george martin that really made them who they are..you get past the four faces and realize its just good music (the later part of their career anyways)..

this is def in the top 5 of retarded shit I've read here. jesus.

• Hey - let it be said that Dante knows his BBQ and has in fact told me the name of the girl down the road.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I love these threads where people flaunt their bad taste in music.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

There is nothing out there thats generally regarded as "classic" that you don't like?? nothing????? Not even Mozart (gets the ballsac)????

Hey - let it be said that Dante knows his BBQ and has in fact told me the name of the girl down the road.

Let it also be said that I like Timbaland just fine, but I'm not sure that he deserves any sort of ride-or-die allegiance from anyone not named Missy.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    timbaland

I said it.

I like Timbo but to say he's Hip Hop like THAT is an overstatement IMO. There a many production styles in the game that someone could easily ignore his style or lets say not prefer.

He's only the most important producer of the past decade--if that doesn't make him "Hip-Hop like THAT," I don't know what would.

• I love these threads where people flaunt their bad taste in music.

There is nothing out there thats generally regarded as "classic" that you don't like?? nothing????? Not even Mozart (gets the ballsac)????

Isn't there a difference between music you don't like -Phil Collins, say- and music whose idiom you're so unfamiliar with you simply cannot "get" it -like Mozart? Seems to me meaningless for a person who owns no classical music and has never listened to it to say he doesn't like Mozart. That's like my grandmother saying she doesn't like Anal Cunt.

Big-L. Never understood why people liked Big-L. I could never understand what the hell he was saying.

Ah check it out, yo
    Ayo everywhere i go, brothers know my fucking name
    I'm flooring niggas and i only weight a buck and change
    I gave a lot of black eyes in my extorting days
    Fucking with me, a lotta niggas was sporting shades
    I grab the microphone and scar jerks
    Niggas running up (put me on!) what the fuck, is this star search?
    I'm relieving rappers like sudafed
    And if the microphone was smoke then big l would be a buddha head
    Ayo my crew's real smooth like lopez
    I was rocking mics since niggas was wearing pro keds
    I only roll with originators
    Chicks stick to my dick like magnets on refridgerators
    I'm a crazy mean lyracist
    Many are in fear of this, yeah, so they stand clear of this
    And those that refuse the order, big l bruise and slaughter
    Niggas hear me and take notes like a news reporter
    I'll bend a rapper like a fender, i'm slender, but far from tender
    Killing niggas like a klan member
    You can't touch this, your rhyme's to darn weak, front
    And i'm a introduce your brains to the concrete
    I keep hoes satisfied, i'm pushing the fattest ride
    To take me out, troop, even the baddest try
    But they fell cause my techniques are liver
    I'm so deaf i need a hearing aid with an equalizer

• Hey - let it be said that Dante knows his BBQ and has in fact told me the name of the girl down the road.

Let it also be said that I like Timbaland just fine, but I'm not sure that he deserves any sort of ride-or-die allegiance from anyone not named Missy.

Are you so sure that neither I nor Dante were at some point named Missy?

timbaland

I said it.

He's only the most important producer of the past decade--if that doesn't make him "Hip-Hop like THAT," I don't know what would.

alot of reasons people are giving imply they don't like particular music for 'sociological' reasons.

'this isn't real hip hop'

'jocks listen to this'

& other such

---

Isn't there a difference between music you don't like -Phil Collins, say- and music whose idiom you're so unfamiliar with you simply cannot "get" it -like Mozart? Seems to me meaningless for a person who owns no classical music and has never listened to it to say he doesn't like Mozart. That's like my grandmother saying she doesn't like Anal Cunt.

have we done you so wrong M*rk that you've chosen soulstrut???

Ralph misses you!!!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    timbaland

I said it.

And? Does DJ Premier working with Christina Aguilera somehow erase his body of rap productions? What about Dre working with Burt Bacharach or Gwen Stefani?

timbaland

I said it.

Most important???

I'd say that based on the criteria that you are seemingly using that Lil Jon has surpased Timbo as the most important producer of the last decade by leaps and bounds.

have we done you so wrong M*rk that you've chosen soulstrut???

Ralph misses you!!!

Most important HipHOP producer since '95..? This is another POST.

Where's the JDILLA fans up in here?