TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Difficult one.
    Shades of Spinal Tap with the early conversion from pop-psych candy to 12-bar Blues n denim head down no nonsense mindless boogie. Something of a joke band all through the late 70s to date: the sort of metallish Rock that your mother-in-law would hum to whilst cooking Sunday lunch.
    No doubt a few catchy tunes, they were a rock fest staple in my teens, and I will give credit for surviving the coke n booze years, and being generally down to earth normal blokes who didn't take themselves too seriously.
    Being honest, it would be mildly shocking if any Brit strutterrs rode for the Quo.
    DuderonomyketanJimster

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I was a bit on the fence with the 1970 live thing, which made me want to poast here. but i ride for that matchstick men thing!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    When I was a teenager, I had quite a bit of time for them. A few of the guys I went to school with were hardcore fans, so I know their stuff up until about '77 pretty well. The first two albums are the more psych-flavoured ones, but that was mainly in that kind of opportunistic, follow-the-prevailing-trends way that was common at the time. I doubt there were Roky Erickson/Syd Barrett levels of turning on taking place, y'know?

From the third album onwards, they followed a pattern of solid if unspectacular blue-collar hard rock, kind of a British equivalent of bands like Foghat or Grand Funk. By about 1976 they'd become fixated on "breaking America", as many British bands were back then. The hard edges began to come off their sound, and the covers of Hank Williams and John Fogerty anticipated the shift towards the country-pop-MOR sound that brought them their biggest commercial success during the nosebag years of the 80s. Personally, I think their early/mid-70s albums are better than they're usually given credit for, but it all depends on your tolerance for that kind of thing. 

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    How the fuck are you "Teh Creator"?

Now you've been demoted to Super OG, and so have I. "Classic". Not even "Classique".
    Yes, I must confess, this was me playing silly buggers with the features in Profile.  I actually broke it and got blocked from accessing the site so I guess there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Re: The Quo.

One of the worst things to ever happen to British music. My ears will never be able to undo the shitfest of "Whatever You Want" and "Rocking All Over The World" being blared out at discos, not to mention the fingers in belt loops spasm dancing that accompanied it.

Having said that. I have a very fond memory of me and my friend recording ourselves singing along to the epic "In the Army Now" on his dad's reel to reel and for that, and that alone, I offer them the olive branch of a truce.
    Duderonomyketan

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    thanks for all the insight.  sounds like they are a scar on the collective psyche of the nation! 

i got curious because i came across this infographic in a david mccandless book i have lying around and they were the only band i hadn't heard of. 

http://imgur.com/yvYMbSe
    (can't seem to get the image to embed, but you can czech it here ^^)

strutnip?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I've been to Quo gigs fairly recently which were really, really fun. It was all Dads and their lads fuelled up on lager, bonding and nostalgia -  the atmosphere was great and you'd be hard pushed to find a nicer crowd than Quo fans. The band are self-deprecating, down to earth blokes with bad hair and terrible jeans and that's really the appeal: it's unpretentious, inclusive and it never changes. Musically...? Just awful. Although I do like Matchstick Men...
    Junior

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Junior said:
    How the fuck are you "Teh Creator"?

Now you've been demoted to Super OG, and so have I. "Classic". Not even "Classique".
      fingers in belt loops spasm dancing that accompanied it.
    It's thumbs, actually.

Er...

...So I heard.

Er...

DIDN'T DUDER GO OUT WITH ONE OF THEIR DAUGHTERS OR SOME SUCH?

Perhaps, but I lived 8 doors down from Alan Lancaster's family in the 70s and his sister Lynn was super cute. 

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    congrats gunners but what a crushing last minute lapse in judgment i do hope the foxes can hold on

Lollers at Man Poo.
    JoMo nailed on now?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    please enjoy former Colombia great Tino Asprilla teaching his horse how to play soccer while wearing a giant pink dinosaur outfit:

I don't know how to embed that video but I would like to embed it in my brain
    DuderonomyJimsterJuniordiscos_alma

Somewhere there's a guy stressing about money, Zika, impending ww3 being triggered in Syria, an untouchable global elite, and the refugee crisis, and he's ready to snap, go batshit crazy, and none of the above will be responsible, it will be the knowledge that Asprilla spends his days doing that.

TL/DR version: wtf
    JimsterJunior

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yo citeh lost on purpose?
    that lineup was sketchy

in any case with man u upcoming schedule and hammers and southampton recent form

its going to be real hard to stay in europe

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

JuniorDuderonomydiscos_alma

“From day one, since Guus has come in, the atmosphere has changed,” Mikel said. “The players feel more relaxed, people know what their jobs are and people are getting on with their jobs in a more relaxed way. And in a way they can perform very well. He has given responsibility to people and expects them to thrive on it and make sure they do it in way where they feel comfortable. I think that is what the players are showing now.”

Mikel added: “You can see Diego. It takes a lot to get Diego in a good mood.”

“From day one, since Guus has come in, the atmosphere has changed,” Mikel said. “The players feel more relaxed, people know what their jobs are and people are getting on with their jobs in a more relaxed way. And in a way they can perform very well. He has given responsibility to people and expects them to thrive on it and make sure they do it in way where they feel comfortable. I think that is what the players are showing now.”

Mikel added: “You can see Diego. It takes a lot to get Diego in a good mood.”

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    DOR said:

Awkward moment's pause as Tommy realises that not only does the interviewer not know who he is but he also probably doesn't even know who Alan Ball is.

I miss Alan Ball.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    DOR said:

Yet another season where Arsenal done fucked up.

jeez.

With Chelski it's an aberration. With City it's self inflicted. With Poo it's about time. With Arsene it's congenital. 
    Liverpool been irrelevant since time.

City didn't have a shot on goal for the last hour against Norwich. 

Norwich.

Pep could arrive to no Champions League.

I wish Arsenal had taken a dive from the FA Cup a few rounds previous (to concentrate on the league)... winning it a third time would've been a bit "meh".
    Welbeck had a few great chances at the end, but the team as a whole looks uninspired. Missing players like Santi & Wilshire who add the unexpected. Fully expect an arse-raping at the Camp Nou just to rub it all in.

If Wenger leaves, not really sure who would be a good replacement. Although I read that Henry got his coaching certificate recently...

Most surprising stat of the weekend:

Costa's red card against Everton was the first of his Chelsea career. How the fuck has it taken so long?

Because he looks like dude Gain Maria Volonte from the Sergio Leoni trilogy?

Foxes are going to do it. I can feel it in my water.

Arsenal's season can be summed up by this gif which I present as performance art entitled "Drowning man, bottom-centre: Impotent Rage"

MOke, it's been 4 months. Where art, doe?

MOke, it's been 4 months. Where art, doe?
    Man will be doing some Wizzord bithnith.  Getting brooms to carry water and such.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Johan Cruyff RIP

can't we have one day without something shitty happening?

Shit, last I heard he said he was 2-0 up. Cancer came back with a late hat trick.

RIP Cruyff