Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    pcmr said:
    thibodeau fired
    thoughts?

Dude was thrown under the bus by that organization.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    gonna be a great series. Kerr's got his work cut out for him trying to stop Lebron.

Love being out is crucial. Lebron + Kyrie is still only 60-70 pts a game. They need more than that.

someone on the Warriors staff needs to arrange for a parade strippers to continuously approach JR Smith around the clock

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    JonnyPaycheck said:
    gonna be a great series. Kerr's got his work cut out for him trying to stop Lebron.

Love being out is crucial. Lebron + Kyrie is still only 60-70 pts a game. They need more than that.

someone on the Warriors staff needs to arrange for a parade strippers to continuously approach JR Smith around the clock

As I said elsewhere, I refuse to accept a world in which clown-ass JR Smith has a championship ring.

Fortunately, Warriors are gonna snuff 'em in 6.

character and mettle was tested, blah blah blah, I told u so vs. always believed...

fuck that, I'll say it. Houston played some hoe ass ball and I'm glad they lost. fuck that team man

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    As I said elsewhere, I refuse to accept a world in which clown-ass JR Smith has a championship ring.

sup blood. Laker great, Adam Morrison got one too.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    LeBron gets Cleveland their first NBA Chip.

I wouldn't be mad at Livingston, Lee, Barbosa, and Iggy getting rings.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    JonnyPaycheck said:
    character and mettle was tested, blah blah blah, I told u so vs. always believed...

fuck that, I'll say it. Houston played some hoe ass ball and I'm glad they lost. fuck that team man

Hey Jonny,

Your GSW squad had never advanced very deep into the playoffs, so I think my questions were warranted. I would (and did as in the case of Atlanta, for example) ask the same questions of any squad that was relatively inexperienced in the playoffs (or untested boxing prospects as another example). I tend to be cynical toward newbies given how many times teams (or individuals in the case of boxing) have been hyped up but ultimately failed to rise to the occasion (too many examples here). Either way, I always give just due to folks (or teams) who have earned their props. Now, let's see how they deal with the Cavaliers who do have a fighting chance at earning the chip this year (based on their playoff performance). It's a pick-em finals though, as either squad has a real chance of winning it all.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yo my bad P I wasn't trying to call u out. Was just moving the convo over to the hoe ass Rockists lol

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    JonnyPaycheck said:
    Yo my bad P I wasn't trying to call u out. Was just moving the convo over to the hoe ass Rockists lol

Thanks, man!!! Yeah, I'm man enough to give it up when it's earned. GSW are legit and the evidence is clear, questions at this point are ludicrous. I'm just hyped about an exciting NBA finals. Now, I have to sit down, analyze the matchup, and come with some predictions.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    pcmr said:
    thibodeau fired
    thoughts?

Dude was thrown under the bus by that organization.

He never got along with management so expected. Chicago needs to find someone like Kerr with the Warriors this year. Kept the defense and improved the offense.

I tend to be cynical toward newbies given how many times teams (or individuals in the case of boxing) have been hyped up but ultimately failed to rise to the occasion (too many examples here).

Not all hype is created equal.

GS Warriors were looking legit at the halfway mark already. Legit meaning, team chemistry, good team defense, and the best shooting duo in history.

I Remember Lebron James in that St. Vincent St. Mary uni highlight, being replayed over and over and over on ESPN.

Name a few "hyped-like-crazy" dudes/teams that didn't pan out. I think most discerning fans can see when there is substance behind hype. Gimme some fairly recent ones, as I'm not keen on the old-timers.

Most of the time media-created "hype" doesn't bother me, because I don't pay too much attention to it.

yuichi said:
    I tend to be cynical toward newbies given how many times teams (or individuals in the case of boxing) have been hyped up but ultimately failed to rise to the occasion (too many examples here).

Name a few "hyped-like-crazy" dudes/teams that didn't pan out. I think most discerning fans can see when there is substance behind hype. Gimme some fairly recent ones, as I'm not keen on the old-timers.

Most of the time media-created "hype" doesn't bother me, because I don't pay too much attention to it.

Hey Yuichi,

History is a great teacher, so it shouldn't be ignored. Ignorance of history does not undermine its importance. Either way, here are a few off top:

-this year's Atlanta Hawks
    -J'Leon Love (barely tested title contender knocked out cold by journeyman boxer Rogelio Medina)
    -Badou Jack (nearly ditto but conscious by journeyman Derek Edwards)
    -Cristobal Arreriola (knocked out 3 times)
    -Fernando Guerrero (knocked out multiple times)
    -Amir Khan (ditto)
    -Victor Ortiz (ditto, thrice)
    -Shawn Porter (totally sonned by Kell Brook)
    -2013 Indiana Pacers
    -2014 Denver Broncos
    -2004 Phoenix Suns
    -2007 Dallas Mavericks
    -1994 Seattle Supersonics
    -Davey Moore (underachieving boxing contender)
    -Tommy Morrison (ditto)
    -Alex Garcia (ditto)
    -Jorge Luis Gonzalez (ditto)
    -Jaidon Codrington (ditto)
    -Eliecer Castillo (ditto)
    -Howard Davis (ditto, Olympic gold medalist)
    -Ricardo Williams (same as above)
    -John Tate (same as above)

Are those enough examples?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    JonnyPaycheck said:

A-FUCKING-MEN!

Houston was right there in Game 1.
    And also right there in Game 2.

Outta 6 games GS beat Houston convincingly for 2 games.

So despite the 4-2 ending dont make it like GS ran thru Houston.

Giving up 128 points in the Playoffs is crazy.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Now, I have to sit down, analyze the matchup, and come with some predictions.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Predictions, I think, will be hard.
    Players and styles don't match up.

Perhaps the thing to look at is the coaches.
    I'll give the coaching edge to GSW. Write it down.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    batmon said:

Point taken, but I think it was 4-1.

Stacks,

-2004 Phoenix Suns
    -2007 Dallas Mavericks

Those Nash-led Suns were notorious for their lack of D. I don't think anyone was hyping them up as title favorites.

For that Mavs elimination by the Warriors. Don Nelson knew his former team inside and out. Clearly a unique and rare advantage. Any other team, and that Mavs team would have gotten to the Finals.

this year's Atlanta Hawks

Who was saying they were gonna win it all? They were good in the regular season and media covers good teams. Also, Kyle Korver opens up the floor, leading to higher quality shots by the Hawks as a whole. I think his presence would have made the conference Finals a little more competitive.

Again, I never understood this "He/They didn't live up to the hype" nonsense by your ordinary sports fan. What the hell is "Hype"? Plaese to define.

-Victor Ortiz (ditto, thrice)
    I know very little boxing but I don't think anyone was touting him as the next De la Hoya were they?

I'm beginning to sense this as just "Oh shit, I don't like his style from the beginning, he didn't live up to the hype!" Just some haterade shit.

yuichi said:
    What the hell is "Hype"? Plaese to define.

Remember LeBron's first run in the Finals?
    And the Big Three's first appearance in the Finals?

Everyone hated that first-year team. Again, media-driven and fan outrage. Real simple formula for the media outlets eh? It was a revolutionary move in ways. Dont' think anyone expected them to win two titles. And they did it in DOMINANT fashion.

Exchange "hype" for "hate" and I'm good.

batmon said:

you mad doggie?

HARDON FOR HARDEN. JOSH SMITH.

Better team won.

Everyone hated that first-year team. Again, media-driven and fan outrage. Real simple formula for the media outlets eh? [em]It was a revolutionary move in ways.[/em] [strong]Dont' think anyone expected them to win two titles.[/strong] And they did it in DOMINANT fashion.

Dude if you dont recall the coverage on tv, blogs, forums, newspapers, and barbershop talk w/ Miami, then you should just give up trying to fathom what Hype is.

And how revolutionary was it when The Celtics done merged Allen, Garnett and Pierce?
    Or the HYPE behind Jamal Mashburn, Jason Kidd, and Jimmy Jackson in Dallas?

It is what it is, but dont play dumb like folks arent quick to anoint folks before they prove something.

Everyone hated that first-year team. Again, media-driven and fan outrage. Real simple formula for the media outlets eh? [em]It was a revolutionary move in ways.[/em] [strong]Dont' think anyone expected them to win two titles.[/strong] And they did it in DOMINANT fashion.

Dude if you dont recall the coverage on tv, blogs, forums, newspapers, and barbershop talk w/ Miami, then you should just give up trying to fathom what Hype is.

And how revolutionary was it when The Celtics done merged Allen, Garnett and Pierce?

It is what it is, but dont play dumb like folks arent quick to anoint folks before they prove something.

Exactly. It's your average sports fan that interprets media as they like.

I don't recall one credible analyst saying the Heat were gonna win multiple titles straight out the gate.

"Didn't live up to the hype", "overrated", "underrated". These are words thrown around quite often by most, but it's all a result of how you interpret media coverage. More coverage = more expectation, I guess.

I don't recall one credible analyst saying the Heat were gonna win multiple titles straight out the gate.

"Didn't live up to the hype", "overrated", "underrated". These are words thrown around quite often by most, but it's all a result of how you interpret media coverage. More coverage = more expectation, I guess.

You bought into and fanned the flames of the Jeremy Lin Hype.

Nicely said, sir. All I ever require is that people (or teams) show and prove, and then respect is rightly given. All the examples I named received all kinds of premature hype.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Great example. Toss in a side of Ricky Rubio and Deron Williams to round out the dish.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Whatever you wanna call it. I just call it like I see it. Jeremy Lin in that instance, without Melo did wonders for that team. As soon as Melo came back, chemistry was destroyed. No more Linsanity. Jeremy Lin cashes in.

I am on the next level when it comes to seeing the big picture though.

Whatever you wanna call it. I just call it like I see it. Jeremy Lin in that instance, without Melo did wonders for that team. As soon as Melo came back, chemistry was destroyed. No more Linsanity. Jeremy Lin cashes in.

I am on the next level when it comes to seeing the big picture though.

Hey Yuichi,

I see hate as the unwillingness to acknowledge accomplishments despite the evidence. Rightfully, I gave GSW their due because they earned it. Now, if only Pacquiao fans would do the same to Floyd Mayweather. It's not about liking but about giving respect when it is earned. I don't engage in blind fandom with teams and/or sports figures I follow. If they don't come correct, then I admit it (like the Grizzlies, Ray Leonard in his 2nd fight with Tommy Hearns, Muhammad Ali vs Jimmy Young, etc.).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

All I ever require is that people (or teams) show and prove, and then respect is rightly given.

ATTENTION NBA PLAYERS, FRANCHISE OWNERS, AND STAFF: RESPECT WILL BE GIVEN OUT ONLY AT THE DISCRETION OF BIG STACKS FROM CAKALACK. EXCESSIVE MEDIA EXPOSURE AND FAN APPROVAL PRIOR TO RESPECT GIVEN BY BIG_STACKS FROM CAKALACK WILL BE DEEMED A VIOLATION OF CONTRACT TERMS. FURTHER, ANY AFOREMENTIONED PERSONS SHALL BE SUBJECTED TO PENALTIES INCLUDING BUT NOT EXCLUSIVE TO PUBLIC SHAME OF NOT LIVING UP TO "HYPE".