Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    yuichi said:
    All I ever require is that people (or teams) show and prove, and then respect is rightly given.

ATTENTION NBA PLAYERS, FRANCHISE OWNERS, AND STAFF: RESPECT WILL BE GIVEN OUT ONLY AT THE DISCRETION OF BIG STACKS FROM CAKALACK. EXCESSIVE MEDIA EXPOSURE AND FAN APPROVAL PRIOR TO RESPECT GIVEN BY BIG_STACKS FROM CAKALACK WILL BE DEEMED A VIOLATION OF CONTRACT TERMS. FURTHER, ANY AFOREMENTIONED PERSONS SHALL BE SUBJECTED TO PENALTIES INCLUDING BUT NOT EXCLUSIVE TO PUBLIC SHAME OF NOT LIVING UP TO "HYPE".

It's my standard and no one has to like it. I don't like rushing to judgment, seen it fail too many times, from graduate admits to Heisman trophy winners. For example, the grad faculty at my alma mater prejudged me as a dud admit. Yet, I'm the only grad from my graduating class that is a Full Professor and honored as a Fellow (based on my scholarly accomplishments) in my field. Time always tells the story and prejudments can be woefully inaccurate. Real talk, my man.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    If they don't come correct, then I admit it (like the Grizzlies)

You weren't wrong in your assessment of the Grizz, and if Conley and Allen were healthy, GS would have had their
    backs to the wall. That would have been the ONE team besides the Cavs that could have beaten them in a series.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    Houston was right there in Game 1.
    And also right there in Game 2.

Outta 6 games GS beat Houston convincingly for 2 games.

So despite the 4-2 ending dont make it like GS ran thru Houston.

Giving up 128 points in the Playoffs is crazy.

you mad doggie?

HARDON FOR HARDEN. JOSH SMITH.

Better team won.

Hey Y,
    I have found your analysis to be the most accurate around here.
    When you are calm and making sense.

But Bamon's comments above are accurate (except he gave Houston and extra W).
    Houston was close in 2 games and won one.
    Personally I thought it was a good series.

In other news, I already have given GSW the edge based on coaching.
    I am giving them the edge again based on comparative lack of injuries.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Everyone hated that first-year team. Again, media-driven and fan outrage. Real simple formula for the media outlets eh? [em]It was a revolutionary move in ways.[/em] [strong]Dont' think anyone expected them to win two titles.[/strong] And they did it in DOMINANT fashion.

Dude if you dont recall the coverage on tv, blogs, forums, newspapers, and barbershop talk w/ Miami, then you should just give up trying to fathom what Hype is.

And how revolutionary was it when The Celtics done merged Allen, Garnett and Pierce?
    Or the HYPE behind Jamal Mashburn, Jason Kidd, and Jimmy Jackson in Dallas?

It is what it is, but dont play dumb like folks arent quick to anoint folks before they prove something.

Exactly. It's your average sports fan that interprets media as they like.

I don't recall one credible analyst saying the Heat were gonna win multiple titles straight out the gate.

"Didn't live up to the hype", "overrated", "underrated". These are words thrown around quite often by most, but it's all a result of how you interpret media coverage. More coverage = more expectation, I guess.

You bought into and fanned the flames of the Jeremy Lin Hype.

Whatever you wanna call it. I just call it like I see it. Jeremy Lin in that instance, without Melo did wonders for that team. As soon as Melo came back, chemistry was destroyed. No more Linsanity. Jeremy Lin cashes in.

I am on the next level when it comes to seeing the big picture though.

And without Melo what did Lin do in the bigger picture?

And without Melo what did Lin do in the bigger picture?

Melo returned, messed up chemistry. and Lin took his mediocre talents to Houston where he cashed in big time.

Big_Stacks said:
    yuichi said:
    All I ever require is that people (or teams) show and prove, and then respect is rightly given.

ATTENTION NBA PLAYERS, FRANCHISE OWNERS, AND STAFF: RESPECT WILL BE GIVEN OUT ONLY AT THE DISCRETION OF BIG STACKS FROM CAKALACK. EXCESSIVE MEDIA EXPOSURE AND FAN APPROVAL PRIOR TO RESPECT GIVEN BY BIG_STACKS FROM CAKALACK WILL BE DEEMED A VIOLATION OF CONTRACT TERMS. FURTHER, ANY AFOREMENTIONED PERSONS SHALL BE SUBJECTED TO PENALTIES INCLUDING BUT NOT EXCLUSIVE TO PUBLIC SHAME OF NOT LIVING UP TO "HYPE".

It's my standard and no one has to like it. I don't like rushing to judgment, seen it fail too many times, from graduate admits to Heisman trophy winners. For example, the grad faculty at my alma prejudged me as a dud admit. Yet, I'm the only grad from my graduating class that is a Full Professor and honored as a Fellow (based on my scholarly accomplishments) in my field. Time always tells the story and prejudments can be woefully inaccurate. Real talk, my man.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I respect that and your accomplishments.

Also, I do agree with you about prejudgements. We live in such a society! lol
    It's funny now that I think about it because I have similar values as yours, but I come at it from a different angle perhaps (maybe a little
    more objective).

I remember when my hardcore basketball/shoe designer friend was bashing Vince Carter for not being a true competitor or winner. Nobody said he was gonna be MJ. He was a dunk champion with unreal expectations. When all is said, he was a big part coming off the Dallas bench and has a ring. Played a long time too. Not bad.

Now CP3....Don't get me started on him. Ultimate competitor but not a good fit for most teams.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    yuichi said:

It's my standard and no one has to like it. I don't like rushing to judgment, seen it fail too many times, from graduate admits to Heisman trophy winners. For example, the grad faculty at my alma prejudged me as a dud admit. Yet, I'm the only grad from my graduating class that is a Full Professor and honored as a Fellow (based on my scholarly accomplishments) in my field. Time always tells the story and prejudments can be woefully inaccurate. Real talk, my man.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I respect that and your accomplishments.

Also, I do agree with you about prejudgements. We live in such a society! lol
    It's funny now that I think about it because I have similar values as yours, but I come at it from a different angle perhaps (maybe a little
    more objective).

I remember when my hardcore basketball/shoe designer friend was bashing Vince Carter for not being a true competitor or winner. Nobody said he was gonna be MJ. He was a dunk champion with unreal expectations. When all is said, he was a big part coming off the Dallas bench and has a ring. Played a long time too. Not bad.

Now CP3....Don't get me started on him. Ultimate competitor but not a good fit for most teams.

Hey Yuichi,

Thanks, man! It's probable that my tendency follows from my experience of being prejudged (and underestimated) all through life. The reverse has been true as a sports follower, as I've witnessed quick coronations and ultimate disappointments (from Art Schlichter to Kwame Brown). Add to that I'm a researcher whichbleads me to await evidence before endorsing a squad or sports figure. So, it's refreshing to see GSW actually live up to their billing (and Cleveland exceed my expectations). About CP3, I have never thought of him as an amazing PG (with his ball-stoppin' ass). Vince Carter has had a decent career, but I never considered him (or his cousin McGrady) as natural first options (or Batmen). Carter has found his true role as a more complementary player and has done well at it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• OK so this has nothing do with the finals, but I have a question for the more knowledgeable heads.

My team, Nola, fired their coach and the hunt is on for a replacement. I don't know much about any of these guys, so I'm asking for the s.s. Baintrust to weigh in here.

Media says these are the top three guys, and all but Thibodeaux have been interviewed.

Vinny DelNegro - don't know shit about dude, cept for he coached cp3 and did OK.
    Fired Bulls Coach what's his name, Thibodeaux - Skeptical. He just lost his job.
    Jeff VanGundy - wtf? My girl is excited because she is a big Ewing fan and thinks the magic can be replicated with A.Davis.

What yall say?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Del Negro I thought was a horrible coach for the Clippers. Pass

Thibodeaux and Van Gundy are defense first coaches. That's also part of their problem because their offensive play calling got questioned a lot.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    batmon said:
    Houston was right there in Game 1.
    And also right there in Game 2.

Outta 6 games GS beat Houston convincingly for 2 games.

So despite the 4-2 ending dont make it like GS ran thru Houston.

Giving up 128 points in the Playoffs is crazy.

I agree. It felt like that could have been a 7 game series with a coin toss result for the winner of the final game; but, that ALL hinged on the Rockets stealing a game 1 win....or, any road win in the first 2 games.

I would really enjoy seeing what the outcome would have been in this series if Howard's knee didn't get jacked up early in game 1....felt like that game would have been a W for the Rockets if he could've finished it.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    the most astute basketball observation in this thread has been joao dinheiro talmbout some hoe ass ball from the rockets.....

.... cause that's all i seent.

Vinny DelNegro - don't know shit about dude, cept for he coached cp3 and did OK.
    Fired Bulls Coach what's his name, Thibodeaux - Skeptical. He just lost his job.
    Jeff VanGundy - wtf? My girl is excited because she is a big Ewing fan and thinks the magic can be replicated with A.Davis.

Vinny DelNegro is not an NBA level coach. One of his favorite plays for the Clippers was being fidgety on the sideline and saying "Go! Go! Go!".

I agree with Motown on that Thibodeaux and Van Gundy are both defensive-minded coaches. They are proven winners. You could do a lot worse than choosing one of these guys.

Well you got Alvin Gentry from the Warriors to coach. Excellent offensive coach. Helped get the Clippers and Warriors to be at the top in that category.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Well you got Alvin Gentry from the Warriors to coach. Excellent offensive coach. Helped get the Clippers and Warriors to be at the top in that category.

Uh oh

• Who Dat

• does any one franchise's fans deserve this year's chip more?

How To Annoy a Fan Base in 60 Easy Steps - by BILL SIMMONS ON MARCH 21, 2012

oh wait...... [em]maybe cleveland.....[/em]

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    This is good to see: Chris Bosh back on the basketball court.

Oracle are you ready? It's about to go down.

Lebron James. Top 3 low block game in the league. Where's the double?

what more could you ask for in a finals game

Hard fought victory. Damn impressed by the Warriors, who are STILL playing so unselfishly and without blaming each other when they were down.

Andre Iguodala was hard as fuck. Mo Speights did his thing too.

Hey,

The Cavs can't beat GSW with 'high field goal attempts' LeBron. They perform better with 'facilitator' LeBron which provides them better offensive balance. Plus, GSW's 2nd unit straight owned the Cavs' 2nd unit. If Kyrie Irving is down, then the Cavs are toast. Also, JR Smith needs to provide better scoring help. Great Game 1, although the defense was rather doo doo.

Peace,

Big Stacks ftom Kakalak

Great Game 1, although the defense was rather doo doo.

I thought Cleveland's perimeter D was excellent, putting the Warriors in scramble-mode throughout. Warriors still the better "team" though. And I agree, if Kyrie is hurt, these series is a wrap.

They perform better with 'facilitator' LeBron which provides them better offensive balance.

Only problem being, he doesn't have D Wade or Bosh or Chalmers or Norris Cole or Ray Allen or Mike Miller to pass to. This Cavs team is not nearly as good as those championship Heat teams.

Just checked the box score. Every player on the Warriors who played, scored and had an assist.

Also impressed by Steve Kerr. Dude is obviously not phased at all under pressure.

Big_Stacks said:
    Great Game 1, although the defense was rather doo doo.

Peace,

Big Stacks ftom Kakalak

I only caught the 4th quarter and overtime.
    I assume you are talking about the first 3 quarters.
    D on both sides was great in the 4th and GSW absolutely shut Cavs down in OT.

Dan

• yuichi said:

let lebron go for 35+, force someone else on the cavs to beat you.

genius.

LaserWolf said:

Predictions... the thing to look at is the coaches.
    I'll give the coaching edge to GSW. Write it down.

No doubt.
    Cavs were out coached.

It's fun to blame single players.
    Where the game was truely lost was free throws. Full Stop.

vintageinfants said:
    yuichi said:

let lebron go for 35+, force someone else on the cavs to beat you.

genius.

I'm saying.

whats it like to be a cavs player if you're not lebron or irving and barely get to put up a shot during an entire game????