Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    OKC made the best trade day moves by far. Bad news for the Warriors as well as it looks like OKC is heading for the 8th spot as Phoenix might have lost out after their trades.

At the same time, OKC is last in assists in the NBA. They are the definition of one on 5 offense. This year's Warriors should be able to handle them in the playoffs, but it'll still be harder than before.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Here's the nightmare scenario for the Warriors.

1. OKC moves into the 8th spot and is the first round opponent

2. Spurs move up and they're the Warriors 2nd opponent

3. Memphis stays in 2nd place and is Western Conference final match up

Dont' think GS can make it through that

• dinos feasted on fowl tonight.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Here's the nightmare scenario for the Warriors.

1. OKC moves into the 8th spot and is the first round opponent

2. Spurs move up and they're the Warriors 2nd opponent

3. Memphis stays in 2nd place and is Western Conference final match up

Dont' think GS can make it through that

Possible solution: Get best record in the league. Secure home-court advantage in every round. Play consistent defense we saw at beginning of the season. Pretty sure Steve Kerr is well aware of these two big factors.

vintageinfants said:
    dinos feasted on fowl tonight.

Browsing the web, I found out Raptors have only made the playoffs 6 times. Vancouver/Memphis only 7 times. It will be an interesting playoffs no doubt.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yuichi said:
    vintageinfants said:

Browsing the web, I found out Raptors have only made the playoffs 6 times. Vancouver/Memphis only 7 times. It will be an interesting playoffs no doubt.

You have to take into account they're both expansion teams.

• yuichi said:
    vintageinfants said:

they had a really bad team for a while, I can admit that. but also, it's 6 playoff appearances in 19 tries, which makes it sound a LITTLE better.

plus, they had their requisite heartbreaking first round run up last year and got it out of the way. (also made it exactly as deep into the playoffs as GSW while doing so)

• with regards to the warriors, only two teams have won a chip when their 1 and 2 guards were the two leading scorers on the team; chauncey and rip on the 03 pistons and isaiah and dumars on the 89 pistons. i was thinking about what the x-factor might have been there..... dennis rodman in 89 and ben wallace in 03.... 15+ rebound guys for when the jumper stops dropping. who will that person be on GSW? draymond green?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Chris Bosh is done for the year due to blood clots in his lungs. "Blood clots in lungs" sounds pretty damn scary to me.

• DJ_Enki said:
    Chris Bosh is done for the year due to blood clots in his lungs. "Blood clots in lungs" sounds pretty damn scary to me.

identical ailment as mirza teletovic about a month ago. how long until we discover some dark secret about jump shooting 7 footers?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    with regards to the warriors, only two teams have won a chip when their 1 and 2 guards were the two leading scorers on the team; chauncey and rip on the 03 pistons and isaiah and dumars on the 89 pistons. i was thinking about what the x-factor might have been there..... dennis rodman in 89 and ben wallace in 03.... 15+ rebound guys for when the jumper stops dropping. who will that person be on GSW? draymond green?

Good observation, VintageInfants. I can't wait to see how the young guns respond to playoff pressure. I'm excited to see which guys emerge as playoff studs. With all the newly-improved teams, it's bound to happen.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Interesting read: Tyson Chandler on Elite Bigs 101. Dude has really great insights on the finer points of the game.

DJ_Enki said:
    Interesting read: Tyson Chandler on Elite Bigs 101. Dude has really great insights on the finer points of the game.

Ain't nothing new.

vintageinfants said:
    with regards to the warriors, only two teams have won a chip when their 1 and 2 guards were the two leading scorers on the team; chauncey and rip on the 03 pistons and isaiah and dumars on the 89 pistons. i was thinking about what the x-factor might have been there..... dennis rodman in 89 and ben wallace in 03.... 15+ rebound guys for when the jumper stops dropping. who will that person be on GSW? draymond green?

I think today's Guard-friendly NBA would benefit a dominant backcourt.

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:

keep in mind i say this while MY team is the second highest scoring backcourt to GSW.... so it's something that I'm worried about too

vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:

keep in mind i say this while MY team is the second highest scoring backcourt to GSW.... so it's something that I'm worried about too

I guess the only real Frontcourt threat in the East would be Atlanta & Washington.

Who can Toronto lean on in slowed down halfcourt offense?
    Is Jonas Valanciunas growing?

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:

I guess the only real Frontcourt threat in the East would be Atlanta & Washington.

Who can Toronto lean on in slowed down halfcourt offense?
    Is Jonas Valanciunas growing?

jonas valenciunas is actually progressing at an incredible rate. he shows flashes of being unstoppable, but his footwork is still a little bit questionable.... something about being a 22-year old 7 foot lithuanian that you dont exactly get the dance steps right. the problem has been his usage.... the hot topic in toronto has been coach casey's unwillingness to recognize matchups down the stretch (going small ball against GSW? not playing JV in the fourth?), all very questionable calls if you ask me. for everyone that is referring to this as a guard-centric league, every game i've seen where a team comes out and pounds the ball down low usually gives themselves a 10-15 point cushion to work with.

also, james johnson has been found money for this team when he's not battling hamstring injuries. against the rockets he simultaneously shut down harden while going off for 18 in the first half (banging down low, natch) and then coach decided he was going to give Terrence Ross a run in the second half and we turned into a stand around jump shooting squad. that paired with 50+ combined turnovers between the two teams made for one of the most frustrating games to watch all year.

i think in a league that is chasing down 3 point shooters and stretch forwards, the first team to develop pure big men will enjoy a long reign (i see you, detroit)

For a quick moment, it seemed like Roy Hibbert was going to be a legit Old School, Shot blocking, Rebounding + Putback, Elbow jumper and In the Post throwback.

No dice.

• i'm by no means a metrics guy, but trying to find stats that are adjusted for a usage requires some mathematical wizardry:

comparing his against guys who are arguably the best at his position (and roy hibbert, just for yuks), you can see how all of his numbers across the board match up with the leagues undeniable first options. the only thing that doesn't match these heavyweights is usage ie. MPG.

i've personally pioneered the #freeJV hashtag across all forms of social media.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Mavs have not played well.....still working Rondo into the mix....Amare got 14 in 11 minutes in his debut last night.....all that being said they are only 1/2 game out of Batmon's blonde wig

Rockadelic said:
    Mavs have not played well.....still working Rondo into the mix....Amare got 14 in 11 minutes in his debut last night.....all that being said they are only 1/2 game out of Batmon's blonde wig

Do u still really think they are are a top 3 team?

Houston, Portland, and The Clippers are going to have 5 game losing streaks?
    With OKC entering the mix, alongside the Undead Spurs?

I know you have to stay w/ your prediction out of honor, but do you think Dallas is going to really become that much better?

They are 1/2 game out of 3rd as of today.....I think they can play better than they have thus far....what's with 5 game losing streaks??

Rockadelic said:
    They are 1/2 game out of 3rd as of today.....I think they can play better than they have thus far....what's with 5 game losing streaks??

Looking beyond the numbers, do u really think Dallas can sit at the same table as Golden State and Memphis?

1/2 games and all that shit is what happens every year in the West.

Does your eye test think after all this time they are going to put on some afterburners in the second half and become an elite team?

No....I don't think they are as good as GS and Memphis....I do think they can hang with the 4-5 teams in that next level down and the addition of Rondo and Amare coming off the bench might allow them to rise to the top of that group.....do you think that is unfathomable?

Rockadelic said:
    No....I don't think they are as good as GS and Memphis....I do think they can hang with the 4-5 teams in that next level down and the addition of Rondo and Amare coming off the bench might allow them to rise to the top of that group.....do you think that is unfathomable?

At this point, Yes.

Theres Top 4 then there's the Bottom 4.

Going from 6 to 3 and staying, is hoping LAC, Portland, Houston will give up alot of ground or severe injuries will occur.

If you havent been playing elite how does one become elite, with 30 games left?

That doesn't make any sense........who below Memphis and GS have been playing elite? Somebody has to take that 3 spot and I do think Dallas is better than Houston who is #3 right now.

And how is 1/2 game separating 4 teams "a lot of ground"?

You do realize that they are tied with Portland and have more wins that Houston and LAC?

If Dallas is better why are they at 6 and Houston is 3?

batmon said:
    If Dallas is better why are they at 6 and Houston is 3?

Mainly because they have added Rondo and Amare since the beginning of the year and we handled Houston easily Friday night.

Bottom line is I have my Batman photo ready to go.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Portland might be fading.

I hope not.

OKC, Houston, Mavericks any of them could finish a head of Portland.

Today my prediction is Cleveland Warriors final.
    I do not think this SAS's or the Hawk's year.

LaserWolf said:
    Today my prediction is Cleveland Warriors final.

Yuck...

At least GSW has been together, but I'd ABSOLUTELY dont wanna see Cleveland leapfrog Atlanta or even Washington.