Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• eastern conference and western conference have an equal amount of 20 win teams.

minnesota has less wins than a team that is admittedly tanking for the third straight year.

tell me more about how hard the west is?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think the West still has more contenders than the East.

OKC's weakness has lightened the boat.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    batmon said:
    I think the West still has more contenders than the East.

OKC's weakness has lightened the boat.

Sadly, OKC has continued to experience the same weaknesses over the years. They are weak in the paint and execute poorly in the half-court at times (e.g., Westbrook's poor decision making particularly). Actually, the addition of Waiters has only amplified this problem to some extent (man, he does some pretty bone-headed stuff offensively sometimes). I wonder if OKC will ever turn the corner and reach the elite level. I realize they made the finals, but their personnel make-up never gave them a legitimate chance to WIN the championship. Winning 7-game series against the top teams demands an attention to detail that the Thunder appear incapable of (or better said, unwilling to) performing. I think Kevin Durant is a magnificent player and person, and I would love to see him win a chip.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Clipshow is done. Blake out for (potentially) 6 weeks, coinciding with the roughest patch of their schedule.

Big_Stacks said:
    I think Kevin Durant is a magnificent player and person, and I would love to see him win a chip.

If I was him I'd bolt for Washington. If they can afford him w/out killing their future. They have a good mix of youth and vets.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    OKC reminds me of the 90s Blazers with Drexler. Great athletes, an elite team, but they were never going to win. I can't remember who it was from the Bulls team that beat them twice, but in one of those NBA docs on the championship someone from Chicago said you could always count on Portland beating itself. That's like OKC. Westbrook will go one on one for an extended time and freeze everyone else out. Obaka decides he wants to shoot threes and stays outside the paint, etc.

motown67 said:
    OKC reminds me of the 90s Blazers with Drexler. Great athletes, an elite team, but they were never going to win. I can't remember who it was from the Bulls team that beat them twice, but in one of those NBA docs on the championship someone from Chicago said you could always count on Portland beating itself. That's like OKC. Westbrook will go one on one for an extended time and freeze everyone else out. Obaka decides he wants to shoot threes and stays outside the paint, etc.

Those 2 time finalist Blazers were deeper than OKC.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

As I have said for YEARS, the Thunder will NEVER win a title with Russell Westbrook starting at PG. As for the Clippers, Blake Griffin is too under-skilled to be considered a bona fide 1st option, put-the-team-on-his-back type of player needed during the playoffs in the clutch. Plus, he and Paul are ball stoppers on offense, and the team executes very poorly at both ends at times. They are not legitimate contenders WITH Griffin in the lineup. His absence will hurt them, sure, but they were going to come up short anyway.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Think Griffin has actually regressed and in a game early in the season he showed his true colors. He regressed because he's fallen in love with his jumper too much instead of playing inside more. His true colors were shown in that game where Clippers collapsed against the Spurs in the last few minutes. Blake got the ball right in the key and could have either driven to the basket for a basket or a foul or at least shot a jumper. Instead he treated the ball like a hot potato and passed it and the Clippers lost.

batmon said:
    motown67 said:

Having a deeper team didn't stop the Blazers from defeating themselves. Same would be true with OKC. If they had a deeper team that wouldn't mean Westbrook would stop going one on one too much.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    In defense of the 90s Blazers, Chicago with Jordan was a pretty good team, as was Lakers with Magic and Pistons with Thomas.
    Blazers played against the best.

motown67 said:
    batmon said:
    motown67 said:

Having a deeper team didn't stop the Blazers from defeating themselves. Same would be true with OKC. If they had a deeper team that wouldn't mean Westbrook would stop going one on one too much.

Did the Blazers beat themselves against The Bulls? I dont recall it being an implosion on their part.
    They didnt seem to have trouble in the early rounds. I also dont recall them having a ballhog issue at all.

Josh Smith turned back the clock with 14 points, 10 rebounds, eight assists, one steal and one block in 33 minutes off the bench on Friday.
    Smith hit a career-high tying four triples (on five attempts) and the injury to Dwight Howard has jumpstarted his fantasy value once again. And because he has less freedom to take bad shots because James Harden isn't going to let it happen, his percentages won't be nearly as draining to his value. He's a must-own player for the next month or so until Howard returns.

Damn, Shaggy P can't fucking shoot! I cringe every time he touches the ball. He needs to use his head more on the court. Geez!!! Batmon, about Houston, they have absolutely no shot at the chip. I don't believe in James Harden as the consistent scorer being a championship formula. I can't even imagine who on that team could be considered a legit, consistent second option. Ariza? Certainly, it's not Dwight Howard's underachieving ass.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HI GUYZ!

• beating the Spurs with all their starters in: SIGNIFICANT

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    One page of unreadable-ness with the sword fight of Big_stacks and Batmon.

How about talking about something positive eh?

Or rather, Stacks, why not choose a team? (out-moded fan style says Faux_Danielle).

Really makes for better dialogue.

vintageinfants said:
    beating the Spurs with all their starters in: SIGNIFICANT

As some intelligent minds have figured out, Spurs don't really play in the regular.

batmon said:
    Josh Smith turned back the clock with 14 points, 10 rebounds, eight assists, one steal and one block in 33 minutes off the bench on Friday.
    Smith hit a career-high tying four triples (on five attempts) and the injury to Dwight Howard has jumpstarted his fantasy value once again. And because he has less freedom to take bad shots because James Harden isn't going to let it happen, his percentages won't be nearly as draining to his value. He's a must-own player for the next month or so until Howard returns.

• yuichi said:
    vintageinfants said:

As some intelligent minds have figured out, Spurs don't really play in the regular.

not questioning your reading ability here, but i think the intelligent minds around here can tell the difference between sitting 4 of your starters and "not trying".

vintageinfants said:
    yuichi said:
    vintageinfants said:

not questioning your reading ability here, but i think the intelligent minds around here can tell the difference between sitting 4 of your starters and "not trying".

Wasn't really dissing your team, cuz I like Kyle Lowry. But Spurs are really not about the regular season. Good morale booster for the Raptors.

yuichi said:
    One page of unreadable-ness with the sword fight of Big_stacks and Batmon.

How about talking about something positive eh?

Or rather, Stacks, why not choose a team? (out-moded fan style says Faux_Danielle).

Really makes for better dialogue.

Reading is fundamental.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Yuichi,

Actually, I like the Grizzlies, that's the style of play I prefer. Regarding commenting on basketball, that's a laughable comment. I've been watching basketball for nearly 40 years. Did you play organized basketball? I was as 3-year starting high school varsity point guard, so yes, I'm critical of offensive execution given that fact. The level of NBA play has devolved over the years as more and more guys now treat college ball like the 5th year of high school. So, I wasn't exactly compelled to speak on NBA play on the regular. I used to, but as always, things have changed.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Grizzlies fan since last year? or maybe two years ago?

That is like the equivalent of saying "You know...don't have a team. I like the Patriots because they play the game right. You know. They have a great offensive line. And their locker room culture is professional."

• yuichi said:

That is like the equivalent of saying "You know...don't have a team. I like the Patriots because they play the game right. You know. They have a great offensive line. And their locker room culture is professional."

I think about it myself often, Fakers. More appropriate for the past few years. At this point though, I think Mitch Kupchack is already setting up for next season. We'll probably still suck, but probably not as bad as this year obviously.

I definitely think cities like Toronto, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minnesota, and Cleveland (pre-Lebron James) have a distinct disadvantage getting the top players though.

yuichi said:

As Redman said, " Whateva, man."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Being a fan of a team in 2015 is like marriage....some folks stick it out 40-50 years...some get divorced 6-7 times.

Rockadelic said:
    Being a fan of a team in 2015 is like marriage....some folks stick it out 40-50 years...some get divorced 6-7 times.

I almost arbitrarily chose an NFL team to root for. Wanted to pick a relatively blue-collar town/underdog. Chose Detroit and bought a hoodie. I chose Detroit (not Green Bay or Indy) knowing that Stafford is not all that, but whatever. Sure made, watching the playoffs against the Cowboys that much more exciting. Fuck the Cowboys and Niners while we're at it.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Rockadelic said:

I almost arbitrarily chose an NFL team to root for. Wanted to pick a relatively blue-collar town/underdog. Chose Detroit and bought a hoodie. I chose Detroit (not Green Bay or Indy) knowing that Stafford is not all that, but whatever. Sure made, watching the playoffs against the Cowboys that much more exciting. Fuck the Cowboys and Niners while we're at it.

I divorced the Cleveland Browns and became a fan of the team I hated the most, the Cowboys, when I came home from work one day to find out my wife was now employed by them.