Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    LaserWolf said:
    True that.

Yeah, I think Aldridge could be a great if he'd get meaner! Like Popovich said, "I want some nasty!" He could get on the line 20 times a game if he went strong inside and cut down on the 18-footers. Oh well, he's just too laid back as a big man, given his wealth of offensive talents and size.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

He averages 23pts, 11rbs, 2 asts. Not sure his shot % but I think it's closer to 50 than 40. So he is not stinking it up. But your point is good, if he went glass more it would make the outside even harder to defend. And he would get more free throws.

LaserWolf said:

My prediction is, the 2 teams who are the healthiest at play off time will be in the championship.
    SAS will have to start playing better than .500 ball if they want to be in the playoffs.

2 healthiest who can play D.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    LaserWolf said:
    True that.

Yeah, I think Aldridge could be a great if he'd get meaner! Like Popovich said, "I want some nasty!" He could get on the line 20 times a game if he went strong inside and cut down on the 18-footers. Oh well, he's just too laid back as a big man, given his wealth of offensive talents and size.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

He averages 23pts, 11rbs, 2 asts. Not sure his shot % but I think it's closer to 50 than 40. So he is not stinking it up. But your point is good, if he went glass more it would make the outside even harder to defend. And he would get more free throws.

Yes, LaserWolf, I didn't imply that Aldridge is stinking up the joint. In fact, he's one of my favorite players in the league. I just think he could be a virtually unstoppable force every night out with more aggression. He could average nearly 30 points a game with more trips to the line, if he was more inclined to go to the basket. He should be the premiere power forward in the league, hands down, given his immense skill set.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

No doubt.
    Defenders can defend the turn around jumper, or the drive, hard to defend both.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    No doubt.
    Defenders can defend the turn around jumper, or the drive, hard to defend both.

Aldridge has amazing footwork in the post too. Blake Griffin and Dwight Howard could take some notes.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

motown67 said:
    I'm still not convinced by Memphis. Teams have been able to break their defense in the playoffs in the past and they've proven not to be able to keep up on the offensive end when that happens.

Hey Motown,

Yes, they have shown defensive liabilities in the past. They made some nice moves to make them a little more athletic offensively and defensively. Some of their new additions (like their backup PG and C, for example) have shown the ability to get their own shots and pressure the ball on defense. It'll be interesting to see how they fare this year in the playoffs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• If you were picking 5 teams for your league pass, which would they be?

I'm thinking

GSW
    Wizards
    Houson or Dallas
    Portland
    Chicago?

• JonnyPaycheck said:
    If you were picking 5 teams for your league pass, which would they be?

I'm thinking

GSW
    Wizards
    Houson or Dallas
    Portland
    Chicago?

sub pelicans for the 'zards and you've basically got my bookmarked games.

• Simultaneous internet outage in Toronto and New Brunswick... Only way I can explain Vintage Infants' and Big Stacks' sudden and conspicuous absence in this thread

• i'm mad at my team.

• i love the team for beating the squads they're SUPPOSED to beat, but in the games against good opponents there have been match-up decisions that i cant even comprehend. against portland, james johnson was muscling over batum and backing down the undersized wesley matthews basically scoring and rebounding at will without giving up points at the defensive end. that's what built the lead, and then the subsequent disappearance of that match up in favor of terrence ross is what contributed to portland fighting their way back into the game.

secondly, last night against the dubs.....

it is league wide common knowledge that the warriors are probably the fastest, quickest, and most potent backcourt in the NBA, but with andrew bogut still out there was the opportunity for our skilled big men to exploit down low. coaching decision: go small ball and try to run a track meet with the best team in the league at doing that. valenciunas had 11 minutes last night. ELEVEN FUCKING MINUTES. against a team without a center.

now of course i give the winning teams all due respect, i just wish that the raps hadn't given them more opportunity to do so.

• Nah that is a fair assessment. Early I was like "oh shit they're gonna kill us inside" and then throughout, was like wait why are they rolling with three guards?"

JonnyPaycheck said:
    Simultaneous internet outage in Toronto and New Brunswick... Only way I can explain Vintage Infants' and Big Stacks' sudden and conspicuous absence in this thread

Hey Jonny,

I hear you mane!!! I didn't see the games, but it sounds like the Warriors exploited the 'small ball' of the Raptors. Better teams (like the three I picked) would not have made such a poor choice of attack. The Spurs, Warriors, and Bulls have great upsides in the painted area (especially sans Bogut). I remain unconvinced, Jonny, until your Dubs play 'big-boy' ball at playoff time. I don't believe in splashin' during the playoffs when teams start locking it down on defense. Championships are won in the paint. It's gonna be fun to see if the Dubs mature into true contenders.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    that GSW/TOR game was nuts.
    coach pulled valenciunas because he couldn't keep up with the track meet. kerr went pretty small (because he had to with both centers injured) and that strategy paid off.
    That 21-5 run that the raptors had in the last of the 2nd quarter was pretty impressive. They can definitely rattle off quick baskets with most every team.
    Draymond Green defending every player on the floor and going for a triple double (+2 big blocks). Awesome.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm feeling pretty good about the Mavs. They have the best starting 5 in the NBA. Rondo is settling in and bar any major injuries a Top 3 finish in the West is looking better after 35 games than at the beginning of the season.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    I'm feeling pretty good about the Mavs. They have the best starting 5 in the NBA. Rondo is settling in and bar any major injuries a Top 3 finish in the West is looking better after 35 games than at the beginning of the season.

Will that hold up w/ no depth in the second half of the season?

b/w

Can I get a GSW vs Mavs Playoff series w/ Dallas being the revenge-underdog!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:

Will that hold up w/ no depth in the second half of the season?

b/w

Can I get a GSW vs Mavs Playoff series w/ Dallas being the revenge-underdog!

Mavs are deeper than you think....only place they are sorely lacking is a big in the middle......check out these ppg #'s for the first five off the bench if extrapulated out to 30 minutes a game
    JJ Barea 13ppg
    Devin Harris 11ppg
    Al Faroq Amino 10ppg
    Richard Jefferson 11ppg
    Charlie Villenueva 21ppg

I would love a Mav/Warrior Playoff series.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    JR Smith going to the Cavs? Really? With their current problems they want JR Smith???

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    motown67 said:
    JR Smith going to the Cavs? Really? With their current problems they want JR Smith???

Ordinarily, this would be a sign of giving up on a season. But how the fuck can you tank with Lebron, Love, and Irving?

On another note, perhaps I'm just being a hatin'-ass hater, but I see the Warriors winning a lot of games this season, then getting an early playoff exit. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm just not convinced that they're legit contenders. (Meanwhile, my Spurs are looking mediocre as fuck. Yeah, injuries and all that, but still.)

The Cavs are where they should be.

A new team of mostly inexperienced dudes who need more than 2 months to gel.

Smith gets his money off of NYs cap ,and can return to the bench for Cleveland to help fortify their second unit. Sixth Man steez.

Iman Slumpert is another one of these overhyped NY role players that didnt pan out.

DJ_Enki said:
    motown67 said:

Ordinarily, this would be a sign of giving up on a season. But how the fuck can you tank with Lebron, Love, and Irving?

On another note, perhaps I'm just being a hatin'-ass hater, but I see the Warriors winning a lot of games this season, then getting an early playoff exit. I can't put my finger on it, but I'm just not convinced that they're legit contenders. (Meanwhile, my Spurs are looking mediocre as fuck. Yeah, injuries and all that, but still.)

Hey DJ_Enki,

I agree with you about the Warriors. I don't see them executing well against a strongly defensive-minded team with solid offensive and defensive execution. I say this because the Warriors (a) turn the ball over on offensive inexplicably, at times, (b) they rely too heavily on perimeter shooting (which is a no-no to get a ring), (c) they are soft in the paint (especially with Bogut out), and relatedly, (d) they give up easy buckets on defense. Bear in mind, I think they're a very good team, but my comments are about their chances of winning a championship. If they fix these issues, then they have a legitimate title shot. Then again, these problems (or a subset of them) describe a lot of teams being talked about as potential title contenders (e.g., OKC, Portland, LAC, Toronto, Houston, etc.), so the Warriors are not alone.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

batmon said:

THIS!!! I gave this warning during the summer about not over-hyping the Cavs. It takes time for losers (Irving, Love, and some of their teammates) to learn how to win, or how to do the intangibles that improve a ball club. These include things like playing your role, fighting for loose balls, executing offensive and defensive sets effectively, understanding teammates' and their strengths/weaknesses, etc. Learning about and buying into a system extend beyond physical talents, but includes one's mental and emotional makeup. Too many players in the league are too immature and selfish to play like a winner (or play for winning organizations). The lore of basketball (and other sports) is littered with insanely-talented players who were too small character-wise to become winners.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:

THIS!!! I gave this warning during the summer about not over-hyping the Cavs. It takes time for losers (Irving, Love, and some of their teammates) to learn how to win, or how to do the intangibles that improve a ball club. These include things like playing your role, fighting for loose balls, executing offensive and defensive sets effectively, understanding teammates' and their strengths/weaknesses, etc. Learning about and buying into a system extend beyond physical talents, but includes one's mental and emotional makeup. Too many players in the league are too immature and selfish to play like a winner (or play for winning organizations). The lore of basketball (and other sports) is littered with insanely-talented players who were too small character-wise to become winners.

Im baffled that anyone would think the Cavs would be a top 3 team in the East before the All-Star break.
    You had some media dudes saying they were gonna dominate out the gate. I dont get it.

To me the real story is they hired that Coach before LeBron decided to leave Miami.
    This dude is learning while on the job. Im not convinced he's gonna be like Mark Jackson and turn a weak team into a Playoff threat.
    Maybe he gets through this sacrificial building season, but down the line I dont think he's the answer once theyve shaken off the cocoon.

Big_Stacks said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    motown67 said:

Hey DJ_Enki,

I agree with you about the Warriors. I don't see them executing well against a strongly defensive-minded team with solid offensive and defensive execution. I say this because the Warriors (a) turn the ball over on offensive inexplicably, at times, (b) they rely too heavily on perimeter shooting (which is a no-no to get a ring), (c) they are soft in the paint (especially with Bogut out), and relatedly, (d) they give up easy buckets on defense. Bear in mind, I think they're a very good team, but my comments are about their chances of winning a championship. If they fix these issues, then they have a legitimate title shot. Then again, these problems (or a subset of them) describe a lot of teams being talked about as potential title contenders (e.g., OKC, Portland, LAC, Toronto, Houston, etc.), so the Warriors are not alone.

At least LAC, Portland, and Houston have "Low Post threats.
    Griffin & Aldridge are no Hakeem but can play Low in a halfcourt set. Howard is still offensively suspect after all these years.

Can Draymond Green, Lee, and Bogut contribute in a halfcourt slowdown Playoff series?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Warriors are legit. They have one of the smoothest offenses, outside of SAS. Everyone can contribute. Their team defense is very good too.

Think about how Miami won their titles. They didn't really have a dominant low post threat. It's easier to score from 5 feet rather than 15 feet, but you can win titles playing efficiently, taking mid-range shots. Warriors take plenty of these. Most assists and Best FG% in the league should tell you something too.

Went to Oracle over the weekend, and gotta say what they lack in Staples Center flash, they make up for with their awesome crowd. The fans know when see great basketball, and every play is cheered on. Really refreshing to see.

Portland, LAC ain't going no where though. Big Stacks, you shouldn't even compare them to the Warriors.

Aldridge needs to get better post position, not start from 10feet.

Lillard reminds me of a young Dwyane Wade.

Kyle Lowry reminds me of Chauncey Billups. Dude is legit. terrific shooter. He could use some help though.

yuichi said:
    Warriors are legit. They have one of the smoothest offenses, outside of SAS. Everyone can contribute. Their team defense is very good too.

Think about how Miami won their titles. They didn't really have a dominant low post threat. It's easier to score from 5 feet rather than 15 feet, but you can win titles playing efficiently, taking mid-range shots. Warriors take plenty of these. Most assists and Best FG% in the league should tell you something too.

Went to Oracle over the weekend, and gotta say what they lack in Staples Center flash, they make up for with their awesome crowd. The fans know when see great basketball, and every play is cheered on. Really refreshing to see.

Portland, LAC ain't going no where though. Big Stacks, you shouldn't even compare them to the Warriors.

Aldridge needs to get better post position, not start from 10feet.

Lillard reminds me of a young Dwyane Wade.

Kyle Lowry reminds me of Chauncey Billups. Dude is legit. terrific shooter. He could use some help though.

The Spurs exposed Miami's gimmicky regular season dumb fan small ball last year. That was a joke Finals.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Gimmicky doesn't win you two titles. Just saying, there are teams that do not have a dominant big man and have won. '04 Pistons as well. The Warriors are a nice team. Very nice.

Wouldn't have said that last year.

yuichi said:
    Gimmicky doesn't win you two titles. Just saying, there are teams that do not have a dominant big man and have won. '04 Pistons as well. The Warriors are a nice team. Very nice.

Wouldn't have said that last year.

Rasheed Wallace And Ben Wallace are legit big men.

• I know they're my squad and all, but not for nothing most of these comments sound like they're based on previous years, or y'all have not watched a lot of Warriors games.

Turnovers? still kind of an issue, but down from prior years. Defense vastly improved, they are one of the best in the entire league now (look it up). Despite the marketing, they are not a gimmick squad, they are using Fundamentals (the same shit everyone says wins titles and whatever), moving the ball, getting stops and turnovers on D, making the extra pass to find open men or bad mismatches. Ball movement is fluid and constant, there is very little iso going on. People are talking Curry for MVP but I don't even feel like that's appropriate considering all the help he gets. I see very few teams playing like this right now.

Yes they lack a post presence (even Bogut is more of a "passing center" than a bang-around on the block guy) but they are not suffering on the glass too badly and, as we saw with both Chicago and Toronto, they can compete with better-equipped teams in that department.

Yes they rely on the jumper - they have the best shooting backcourt in a generation. Why should they not? And while they do lack interior size, neither Thompson nor Curry have problems getting to the rim.

The Warriors just absolutely SMOKED an OKC squad with both Russ and Durant on the floor. It was not close. Meanwhile, the Spurs just lost to Detroit. Regular season don't mean shit, but right now they are the best team in the NBA.

JonnyPaycheck said:
    I know they're my squad and all, but not for nothing most of these comments sound like they're based on previous years, or y'all have not watched a lot of Warriors games.

Turnovers? still kind of an issue, but down from prior years. Defense vastly improved, they are one of the best in the entire league now (look it up). Despite the marketing, they are not a gimmick squad, they are using Fundamentals (the same shit everyone says wins titles and whatever), moving the ball, getting stops and turnovers on D, making the extra pass to find open men or bad mismatches. Ball movement is fluid and constant, there is very little iso going on. People are talking Curry for MVP but I don't even feel like that's appropriate considering all the help he gets. I see very few teams playing like this right now.

Yes they lack a post presence (even Bogut is more of a "passing center" than a bang-around on the block guy) but they are not suffering on the glass too badly and, as we saw with both Chicago and Toronto, they can compete with better-equipped teams in that department.

Yes they rely on the jumper - they have the best shooting backcourt in a generation. Why should they not? And while they do lack interior size, neither Thompson nor Curry have problems getting to the rim.

The Warriors just absolutely SMOKED an OKC squad with both Russ and Durant on the floor. It was not close. Meanwhile, the Spurs just lost to Detroit. Regular season don't mean shit, but right now they are the best team in the NBA.

Hey Jonny,

I agree, the Warriors are a top (if not the top) team in the league. I'm speaking more about things they need to improve on to get a championship. Every possession is precious at playoff time, and the Warriors have lapses at times. It's not a big issue now in playing a broad variety of teams, a mix of good, average, and horrible. Deep in the playoffs, the little mistakes they make could matter big. Yet, the main concerns will be their shooting (it's a little harder to hit on the perimeter with the pressure on) and inside play. The West has some good bigs who could punish them on the block if Bogut does not come back healthy. These comments take nothing away from their immense talent, but to say they have to be even better to get the ring. More importantly, the issues I raise are going to pose problems for most of the so-called contending teams that folks are high on right now.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak