Rep Your Whiskey (Whiskey R)

1235

  Comments


  • Duderonomy said:

    This is good shit:


    Thoughts on the 10yr old?

    I recently polished off this bad boy, which was quite tasty:

    Duderonomy

  • pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    10 is a good entry level scotch..best one to get someone into tasting

    the 16 is quite nice as well..but not on same depth as other 16s

  • Got a bottle of this for xmas, won the best single malt at WWA this year.


  • kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    just finished this



    and have a bottle of this ready for a special occasion


  • ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I rarely drink whiskey, but when I do, it's J&B, the same stuff mustachioed henchmen in 70s Mafia flicks enjoy.


  • CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I have a Lagavulin Double Matured that I'm liking quite a bit.

    Does anyone fusks with the Costco Kirklands?
    I have an 18 year sherry cask from them that's pretty darn good for the price.

  • CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Also, does anyone have any experience selling bottles of wine online? I need to sell a couple magnums that skyrocketed in price and don't know if there is a good site to do that on.

  • dayday 9,611 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    just finished this



    Update: This was way too dry/peaty for me. I need to give the Hibiki a try.

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Scotch is for people who like what other people tell them they should like and/or like the taste of rotted bog dirt.

    Go drink some bourbon, some rye, or some Irish. Real talk.

  • dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah, I'm coming to the conclusion that's more palatable for me than rotted bog dirt. Most likely an acquired taste, too. I need to get some fellow drinking folks together and have a tasting partay.

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    day said:
    Yeah, I'm coming to the conclusion that's more palatable for me than rotted bog dirt. Most likely an acquired taste, too. I need to get some fellow drinking folks together and have a tasting partay.

    A tasting party is a fantastic idea, and legitimizes getting hammered. And while I was intentionally throwing stones there to get some folks riled up (because there's just not enough of that these days on the Strut), I simply cannot wrap my head around the idea of putting peat in whiskey. It's like aging your carefully distilled product inside a hobo's ass for 16 years. "I can really taste the colon sweat! With subtle notes of Taco Bell and Nighttrain."

  • pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    in concept i agree with you i have plenty of bottles but am not super down for peat (blasephemy)
    in reality its the subtle tones of the sea salt minerals from islands..and also local manure

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    pcmr said:
    in concept i agree with you i have plenty of bottles but am not super down for peat (blasephemy)
    in reality its the subtle tones of the sea salt minerals from islands..and also local manure

    My scotch has iller poop nuances than yours

  • billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    I read this article last month on "The 10 Best Bourbons not from Kentucky".

    http://gearpatrol.com/2014/11/25/10-best-bourbons-not-from-kentucky/?read_single=1

    Last night I picked up the Tin Cup and thought it was pretty good. Not too spicy or sweet. Really nice balance of flavors and goes down smooth. It was priced nice at $25 a bottle also.



    The raer bottles of the Pappy and others are so sought after now that they never hit the shelves. There are long waiting lists all over and/or lottery drawings with 150 people all trying to by the same bottle.

  • I'd given up on bourbon/rye with all the grip sweats of late, and just cruised on Bulleit Rye, as it's always available. But was picking up champagne last night, and found a bottle of Willett 6-Year Rye, and was very happy to cop.

    Willett was my go-to for solid, interesting rye and bourbon at a decent price point for years- it is now way much more expensive, but I haven't had it in two years, so looking forward to cracking that.

  • Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    So I have a bottle of this (mine's batch 46 @ 60.4%) for when I've finished my intensive 5 -week teaching course



    but for tonight I'm back on the auld faithful Glenrothes, sipping & reciting:

    Robert Burns said:

    Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
    Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!
    Aboon them a' yet tak your place,
    Painch, tripe, or thairm:
    Weel are ye wordy o'a grace
    As lang's my arm.

    The groaning trencher there ye fill,
    Your hurdies like a distant hill,
    Your pin was help to mend a mill
    In time o'need,
    While thro' your pores the dews distil
    Like amber bead.

    His knife see rustic Labour dight,
    An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,
    Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
    Like ony ditch;
    And then, O what a glorious sight,
    Warm-reekin', rich!

    Then, horn for horn, they stretch an' strive:
    Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,
    Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
    Are bent like drums;
    Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
    Bethankit! hums.

    Is there that owre his French ragout
    Or olio that wad staw a sow,
    Or fricassee wad make her spew
    Wi' perfect sconner,
    Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
    On sic a dinner?

    Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
    As feckles as wither'd rash,
    His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash;
    His nieve a nit;
    Thro' blody flood or field to dash,
    O how unfit!

    But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
    The trembling earth resounds his tread.
    Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
    He'll mak it whissle;
    An' legs an' arms, an' hands will sned,
    Like taps o' trissle.

    Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
    And dish them out their bill o' fare,
    Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
    That jaups in luggies;
    But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer
    Gie her a haggis!


    Nice! One of the best reasonably-priced sherry-heave whiskies, though personally prefer Glendronach Revival over Abunadh or Glenfarclas 105.

  • Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Did a little booze shopping while driving through Kentucky to Tennessee.



    The highlight is the Col. Taylor, a "dusty"--storestock from the late 80s, a real find. The Amblers are some some of the best deals in American whiskey right now. The private selection Four Roses is a little dissapointing. The independent Mortlach bottling is a little bit of a gamble, but it was a good price. Craig Barrel Proof was a nice bit of luck. Love a little Mellow Corn now and then.

    The real highlight this season was this:



    I'm annoyed to find that it justifies the hype. Remarkably good bourbon. Visit me in Toronto for a taste (while it lasts)!

  • billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    2015 bourbon release calendar
    http://www.breakingbourbon.com/release-list.html

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,103 Posts
    that 12 year hibiki is nice. we polished it off with the quickness after it opened.

    i've always liked the caol ila for a nice peaty bottle.

    question: i need to pick something to bring to an aunt overseas who is a discerning single malt drinker. i'm getting her a single malt, but i also want to get her some other bourbon or rye that's epic and majestic. any recommendations for something that would be available in Canada?

  • kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    day said:
    kicks79 said:
    just finished this



    Update: This was way too dry/peaty for me. I need to give the Hibiki a try.

    I found it too green/young at first until i found out that hakushu is meant to taste like or make you think of a pine forest.
    After that i understood the taste a bit better.
    I know what you are saying though. I tend to like the hibki, nikka and yamazaki over most scottish drops because Im not too big on the peat,bog flavours.

  • pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Dannois slaying the game
    that farclas 105 we polished at the show is indeed great the 20 year is 400$ though
    i have everything they released in canda so far (10,12,17,25) but now i see 21 is available

    ketan said:
    that 12 year hibiki is nice. we polished it off with the quickness after it opened.

    i've always liked the caol ila for a nice peaty bottle.

    question: i need to pick something to bring to an aunt overseas who is a discerning single malt drinker. i'm getting her a single malt, but i also want to get her some other bourbon or rye that's epic and majestic. any recommendations for something that would be available in Canada?

    I would definintly go for blanton..its the total package

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,103 Posts
    pcmr said:

    ketan said:

    question: i need to pick something to bring to an aunt overseas who is a discerning single malt drinker. i'm getting her a single malt, but i also want to get her some other bourbon or rye that's epic and majestic. any recommendations for something that would be available in Canada?

    I would definintly go for blanton..its the total package

    the bottle is amazing! i'm gonna pick one up later today and give it a spin. thanks, man.

  • Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    ketan said:
    pcmr said:

    ketan said:

    question: i need to pick something to bring to an aunt overseas who is a discerning single malt drinker. i'm getting her a single malt, but i also want to get her some other bourbon or rye that's epic and majestic. any recommendations for something that would be available in Canada?

    I would definintly go for blanton..its the total package

    the bottle is amazing! i'm gonna pick one up later today and give it a spin. thanks, man.

    You're in Ontario, right?

    I agree, the Blantons gold is a good way to go. There's no better bourbon available in Ontario right now, but no discerning bourbon drinker would describe Blantons as epic or majestic.

    An alternative would be Mastersons Rye, which I think is the more interesting whiskey, and a personal favourite. The 40 Creek special releases are also worthy as an alternative to Scotch, but aren't bourbon or rye.


  • pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    blanton is not epic at all just best available in canada as i suspected
    ive been very disapointed with others in the price range

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,103 Posts
    pcmr said:
    blanton is not epic at all just best available in canada as i suspected

    and hard to find, at that! i failed on my mission to la LCBO. picked up some of the nickelbrook cuvee instead, which is really nice... but that's for another thraed.

  • pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    so the glenfarclas completist in me just got the 21 year (will report back)
    i was only missing the baller 40 year and 20y cask strength

    then i see family cast


    entire discography going to cost me

  • Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    pcmr said:
    so the glenfarclas completist in me just got the 21 year (will report back)
    i was only missing the baller 40 year and 20y cask strength

    then i see family cast


    entire discography going to cost me



    :beerbang:

  • ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,103 Posts
    Not for nothing I picked up one of these in Schiphol the other day - nearly 40% cheaper in Netherlands for some reason.


  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,787 Posts
    Nom nom nom:


  • DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Been on this one for the summertime whiskey tip. Really dig it.

Sign In or Register to comment.