Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Guys,

I roll with this:

...smooth as silk.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I have endless respect for you, but I have to say this stuff represents uniquely shitty value. It's shamelessly average scotch. You buy this to consume conspicuously, not because you want to enjoy a superior dram. There's endless malts out there that are vastly better value for the price.

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Guys,

I also ride for this:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

This would be one of those better malts. Good shit. Still too expensive.

Come Strutters, where's the raer? Where is the digging spirit? This is dollar bin drinking here. I want the private press, the wall pieces. Let's start things off easy with a stateside selection:

(actually Canadian juice)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    danno is back for some real talk

i agree about jwalker blue its a scam gold and green are alright and black is a litmus but the rest is doo-doo

also evan williams is crazy (but more like 60$ in mtl) the 1999 is incredible so floral

i need to try those raer

buffolo trace is a great go to bourbon and perfect to initate peeps

i want to taste the yamakasi so bad

pcmr said:
    danno is back for some real talk

i agree about jwalker blue its a scam gold and green are alright and black is a litmus but the rest is doo-doo

also evan williams is crazy (but more like 60$ in mtl) the 1999 is incredible so floral

i need to try those raer

buffolo trace is a great go to bourbon and perfect to initate peeps

Anytime you're in Toronto, you give me a shout and we'll drink some whisky! I've got a bunch of interesting Japanese malts, too.

The SAQ has an interesting selection, but it's as brutal as the LCBO for pricing. I buy my spirits in the states. Digging for whisk(e)y is the record digging of 2013! Or something like that.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    Come Strutters, where's the raer?

My local had a dozen of these in, but they cost ??90 a bottle. He assured me the demand would be low. I went back a couple of weeks later and they sold out. Maybe a good thing for my wallet, but really wanted to try these. Next time I'm in Kentucky I guess.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    A while ago picked up Talisker 57 North and Distillers edition (part of those mini bottle collections). Haven't tried them yet (can't wait!), waiting for a special occasion. LCBO prices affect your consumption frequency. My faves would be Talisker, Laphroaig quarter cask and Lagavullin 16. Out of all the expressions of Ardbeg, what would you recommend?

Any opinions on Lagavullin 12? Heard it's more beastly. It seems odd that a younger version would cost more, but I guess its more raer.

Opinions on international whiskys? Amrut Fusion is glorious, I heavily recommend it (Quality Indian whisky---whaaa? Interesting how the climate causes for a greedier "angel's share" where an 8 yr has the properties of a 12 yr in a cooler climate).

A while ago picked up Talisker 57 North and Distillers edition (part of those mini bottle collections). Haven't tried them yet (can't wait!), waiting for a special occasion. LCBO prices affect your consumption frequency. My faves would be Talisker, Laphroaig quarter cask and Lagavullin 16. Out of all the expressions of Ardbeg, what would you recommend?

Any opinions on Lagavullin 12? Heard it's more beastly. It seems odd that a younger version would cost more, but I guess its more raer.

Opinions on international whiskys? Amrut Fusion is glorious, I heavily recommend it (Quality Indian whisky---whaaa? Interesting how the climate causes for a greedier "angel's share" where an 8 yr has the properties of a 12 yr in a cooler climate).

]

The big difference between the Lagavullin 16 and 12 is that the latter is bottled at cask strength. That makes a significance difference in flavour, but, as you mentioned, it costs more. The 16 is deservedly classic, but not at LCBO prices. You can usually find it for $60-70 in the States.

I think the standard Ardbeg 10 is fantastic, and probably my favourite of the easily available Islay malts (though again, at $50-60 in the states rather than $100 here). I've never had the older Corryvreckens and Uigeadails that Jim Murray rated really highly and people seem to think are brilliant. I have had the more recent ones, and both are killer. The Uigeadail is really nice with the sherry cask influence. A lot of the pleasure in these more expensive expressions is that they're cask strength.

I tried the Amrut Fusion at the last big whisky tasting event, I think it was called something dumb like spirit of toronto. I don't remember being blown away, but it was also late in the evening and I was drunk and everything just tasted like burn to me by that point.

American whiskey shows the real difference between aging in colder and warmer climates. There are bourbons that taste grand after four or five years, but scotch isn't happening, generally speaking, till ten.

Forgot about the international whisky question. The LCBO has the Nikka Pure Malt blended malts now, and while expensive, they're really good. The red in particular. Highly recommended. It appears that Nikka will have a table at the Whisky Live show this Friday, which means the opportunity to taste the whole line.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/searchResults.do?ITEM_NAME=NIKKA+PURE+MALT+RED&ITEM;_NUMBER=&language=EN

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Guys,

I also ride for this:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Thats a top drop. Ill be doing a tasting of their new release unaged expressions Ruby, Amber and Sierra - they say they have changed their focus from specific ages to specific barrel types so Im keen to see how the new ones taste.

Seems lots of distillers are going for no age statement releases these days. I tried the Talisker Storm the other day and it was banging despite no age statement.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    pcmr said:

Yamazaki is the schitt and my go-to whenever it's available.

I brought a bottle of this back from Japan and will finally be cracking it open tonight. Never had it before, but Suntory has never done me wrong.

LokoOne said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Guys,

I also ride for this:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Thats a top drop. Ill be doing a tasting of their new release unaged expressions Ruby, Amber and Sierra - they say they have changed their focus from specific ages to specific barrel types so Im keen to see how the new ones taste.

Seems lots of distillers are going for no age statement releases these days. I tried the Talisker Storm the other day and it was banging despite no age statement.

I think it's a really cynical move to increase production and, in the case of Macallen, to position itself as a prestige brand that competes with Johnny Walker. No age statements means younger malt. I've tasted a number of the new Macallens, and wasn't at all impressed. Discontinuing the Maccallen cask strength while starting this line is pretty sad.

Danno3000 said:
    LokoOne said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Guys,

I also ride for this:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I think it's a really cynical move to increase production and, in the case of Macallen, to position itself as a prestige brand that competes with Johnny Walker. No age statements means younger malt. I've tasted a number of the new Macallens, and wasn't at all impressed. Discontinuing the Maccallen cask strength while starting this line is pretty sad.

Thats the single malt category's big problem - predicting demand years in advance, storage etc - all the distillers Ive spoken with are trying to find ways around it. Havent tried the new Macallans yet but a few other no age statement drams ive tried arent too bad, essentially they are single malt blends. The other big issue connected with aged single malts is how many fills a cask has had in it. An 18yr old whisky aged in a 4 or 5 fill cask isnt going to be as good as say a 10yr old aged in a first fill cask. Lots of debate atm around that in my circles.

Btw Danno you asked for raer whiskies. I got to brag that I was lucky enough to try the Glenfiddich 125th year anniversary special - only 256 bottles worldwide - single cask bottling. Beautiful stuff, almost like an aged rum, but its around $1400 a bottle. They released a peated Glenfiddich anniversary expression as well that is $150 and readily available which I really recommend trying.

LokoOne said:
    Danno3000 said:
    LokoOne said:

Thats the single malt category's big problem - predicting demand years in advance, storage etc - all the distillers Ive spoken with are trying to find ways around it. Havent tried the new Macallans yet but a few other no age statement drams ive tried arent too bad, essentially they are single malt blends. The other big issue connected with aged single malts is how many fills a cask has had in it. An 18yr old whisky aged in a 4 or 5 fill cask isnt going to be as good as say a 10yr old aged in a first fill cask. Lots of debate atm around that in my circles.

Btw Danno you asked for raer whiskies. I got to brag that I was lucky enough to try the Glenfiddich 125th year anniversary special - only 256 bottles worldwide - single cask bottling. Beautiful stuff, almost like an aged rum, but its around $1400 a bottle. They released a peated Glenfiddich anniversary expression as well that is $150 and readily available which I really recommend trying.

I don't have a problem with no age statement drams in principle, it's just when the motivation is to disguise a likely loss of quality (I also have no problem with vatted malts--I've been really into the Nikka blends of late, and the Compass Box series is mostly solid). I get that a younger dram can add life to an older one, which I think Adrbeg demosntrated well the Uigeadail, and by removing an age statement, the distiller can avoid labeling it six years old (or whatever) when it's mostly 18 years old.

Glad to hear that the Glenfiddich was beautiful! I'm pretty sceptical when it comes to extremely raer and old bottlings. Those bottlings are to me often more about the size of your ego than the quality of the dram. I've also never tried the peated Glenfiddich--it's an airport only thing in these parts, so no dice. I'll look out for it next time I'm travelling.

I love the Nikka From The Barrel.... can drink that for days on end

The limited edition 125th anniversary Glenfiddich came from one cask put aside 25 years ago. I think its more of an investor thing, as many of the limited edition/release whiskies are getting snapped up by those types these days.

Speaking of No Age Statements...

http://www.drinkspirits.com/scotch-whisky/end-age-scotch-laphroaig-focuses-wood/

BTW - Danno, as you seem to be a man who appreciates his whisky, have you tried any of the Tasmanian single malts - Lark, Overeem, Sullivan's Cove, Nant's etc.? I did a whisky distillery tour of Tasmania last year... one of the best experiences ever.... sitting in a bonded warehouse drinking whisky straight out the cask The Tassie whiskies are aged for a short period of time but in 100lt casks... the result is some pretty complex and tasty young single malts.

• GOT THAT PAPPY 4 CHEAP

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Bought myself a bottle of Oban 14 the other day...I'm digging it so far. Definitely strikes me as a fall/winter single malt, if that makes any sense.

The-gaffler said:
    GOT THAT PAPPY 4 CHEAP

Only interested if its OG Stitze-Weller. Otherwise it's a second pressing.

LokoOne said:
    I love the Nikka From The Barrel.... can drink that for days on end

The limited edition 125th anniversary Glenfiddich came from one cask put aside 25 years ago. I think its more of an investor thing, as many of the limited edition/release whiskies are getting snapped up by those types these days.

Speaking of No Age Statements...

http://www.drinkspirits.com/scotch-whisky/end-age-scotch-laphroaig-focuses-wood/

BTW - Danno, as you seem to be a man who appreciates his whisky, have you tried any of the Tasmanian single malts - Lark, Overeem, Sullivan's Cove, Nant's etc.? I did a whisky distillery tour of Tasmania last year... one of the best experiences ever.... sitting in a bonded warehouse drinking whisky straight out the cask The Tassie whiskies are aged for a short period of time but in 100lt casks... the result is some pretty complex and tasty young single malts.

I've never tried anything from Tasmania! I've read some reviews, but none of them are available in Ontario, and I rarely, if ever, see them when I do shopping runs to the states. What in particular should I look out for?

Laphroiag 10 is one of my favourite whiskies, especially if I can buy it in the $40 range. As long Laphroiag keeps bottling it, they can do whatever they want with fancy and possibly dubious no age statement expressions.

Lark Distillery, Overeem, Sullivans Cove, Nant, Heartwood and Bakery Hill have all had lots of accolades and good ratings by Jim Murray and co. The thing with these single malts is they do vary (and the distillers do this on purpose) cask by cask. So one cask release might be awesome, the next a little less good... They are all small batch, hand crafted whiskies. Overeem literally has his stills in a garage on his property!

Maybe we can do some trades ;)

Also, thought you (and fellow SS whisky lovers) would enjoy this little edutainment clip made by a local bartender training duo. They play these clips before a training session.

That was a fun watch! Much preferable to working.

I'm down for a trade. What are you after? I'm doing a liquor run to Buffalo this weekend, and then I'm in Tennessee and Kentucky in December. Also, there's always the LCBO: http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/ProductSearchNonVintages.jsp?language=EN

• was just in Louisville, KY this weekend, and got to try a few bourbons i usually don't see around. these were my 2 favorites: Angel's Envy & Four Roses.

So I have a bottle of this (mine's batch 46 @ 60.4%) for when I've finished my intensive 5 -week teaching course

but for tonight I'm back on the auld faithful Glenrothes, sipping & reciting:

Robert Burns said:

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
    Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!
    Aboon them a' yet tak your place,
    Painch, tripe, or thairm:
    Weel are ye wordy o'a grace
    As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
    Your hurdies like a distant hill,
    Your pin was help to mend a mill
    In time o'need,
    While thro' your pores the dews distil
    Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
    An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,
    Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
    Like ony ditch;
    And then, O what a glorious sight,
    Warm-reekin', rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an' strive:
    Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,
    Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
    Are bent like drums;
    Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
    Bethankit! hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout
    Or olio that wad staw a sow,
    Or fricassee wad make her spew
    Wi' perfect sconner,
    Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
    On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
    As feckles as wither'd rash,
    His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash;
    His nieve a nit;
    Thro' blody flood or field to dash,
    O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
    The trembling earth resounds his tread.
    Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
    He'll mak it whissle;
    An' legs an' arms, an' hands will sned,
    Like taps o' trissle.

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
    And dish them out their bill o' fare,
    Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
    That jaups in luggies;
    But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer
    Gie her a haggis!

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Come Strutters, where's the raer?]

Big Kid shid....and now quite raer from what I hear:

Come Strutters, where's the raer?]

Big Kid shid....and now quite raer from what I hear:

Only if it's OG Stitzel-Weller juice. Confirm, or it's just a second pressing/reissue.

• greatest name for a whiskey ever?

This is good shit:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

I had this Chicago based Bourbon recently. I liked it.

:lush:

• I will cosign on that Aberlour 12!! My housemate brought it home from a work trip a few months ago and it's quickly become one of my favourites in the house. I find it has a really interesting fruity note.

• my favorite bottle at the moment and very reasonably priced if you can find it.

I also picked up a couple of bottles of Mezcal in Mexico DF a few weeks ago. If you can find them, I highly recommend these: