Rep Your Whiskey (Whiskey R)

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
For everyday drinking, I'm a Jameson's guy, but for special occasions, I love me some Basil Hayden's. So, generally speaking, I'm a bourbon guy with Irish whiskey in a close second, but I can't really fucks with cheap bourbon.Secondary question: Chaser or no?And yes, when it comes to my liver, I'm

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    cosign on the Jameson, esp. the 17 year old steez(rill nice)...but you know what surprised the shit outta me? Jim Beam Rye...I hate regular Jim Beam, and I always thought Rye whiskey was some hobo/old hick steez...rough and awful..but it isnt, it is AMAZINGLY smooth, great flavor...top fuckin' shelf, and cheap! Seriously, you could put a boutique/small batch label on it and sell it for $50 a fifth. I know it sounds hard to believe, but it is THAT good.

Hell no, no chaser...on the rocks in the spring/summer, and neat in the fall/winter...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    cosign on the Jameson, esp. the 17 year old steez(rill nice)...but you know what surprised the shit outta me? Jim Beam Rye...I hate regular Jim Beam, and I always thought Rye whiskey was some hobo/old hick steez...rough and awful..

Hell no, no chaser...on the rocks in the spring/summer, and neat in the fall/winter...

I hear you - I tried some type of Rye once and it was terrible, but it was also probably the cheapest (and only) shit available at the time. I'll have to give it a try. I do live two blocks from a liquor superstore, so I'm sure I can find it.

And yeah, rocks in warm weather, straight-up in cold. Although I do tend to order a beer and whiskey at the same time, at least for a first round, as I tend to finish the whiskey quickly and don't want to wait for the bartender to come back around.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    only the best know...

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts

I'm more into Scotch and beer.

I've always wanted to try Jameson's. I see it at the store every time I go but it's right next to the Scotch and Rum so I always end up passing.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    1.5 oz Wisers Canadian whiskey

+

1 oz disaronno amaretto

=

my fav drink of alltime, the Godfather, goes great with a smoke.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I always thought Rye whiskey was some hobo/old hick steez...rough and awful..but it isnt, it is AMAZINGLY smooth, great flavor...top fuckin' shelf, and cheap!

rye used to very popular in the states during the 50's, but it kinda fell out of fashion... however, go to Canada, and everyone still drinks Rye... rye and ginger is a nice drink... i just started drinking whiskey a few years ago and tend to play it conservative... Jameson's, Maker's, or if in a dive bar, Jack or Beam... usually neat, with a beer back...

Maker's, or if in a dive bar, Jack or Beam... usually neat, with a beer back...

If you like Maker's, you need to check some top-shelf bourbon. Same aesthetic, but it gets so much better with very little additional cost.

I'm on my third Jameson's right now, and we're creeping up on 2 p.m. on the East Coast. Delightful!

Oh, and here's Basil Hayden's:

only the best know...

Man, I just can't hang with the scotch. I know there's a whole method of drinking it, inhaling at certain times, exhaling at others to get a certain experience, but to me, that shit's straight

But not in a good way. Not that anything Federline related is really a good thing, but you know what I'm saying.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I like my whiskey from Scotland:

But like Chan said, Walker Red on the rocks is just fine in the right circumstances. I've also been introduced to a number of interesting Irish single malt whiskies, but I can't for the life of me remember their names right now.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

This stuff is pretty good.

I've also been introduced to a number of interesting Irish single malt whiskies, but I can't for the life of me remember their names right now.

I know the feeling. I worked at an Irish bar for a while that had a great top shelf, and every night after work I'd have a Harpoon IPA and try a different whiskey. I do remember enjoying them, but I couldn't name most of them if my life depended on it.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    dont know if this is small time but i enjoy dewars, i think its a blended scotch whiskey but i dig the flavour. also the korean in me gives props to crown royal, something about the purple velvet bag.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The Macallan. 12 year. its an exprt only vintage so you Yankees should be able to pick it up as well. (In Scotland they start at the 10 yr).

I really wont drink anything else. I worked in bars for 13 years and pretty much had all the time to sample what i wanted, i settled on The Macallan.

Give it to me straight, no ice.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I like my whiskey from Scotland:

amen amen.....

I regret not buying a bottle at shanghai airport's duty free. It was really really cheap for a lagavulin 16 yr.

ps: if you're ever in Toronto, this bar is a worthy stop.

What up Hommie! MAJOR co-sign on the Macallan.

My kitchen counter..............

nice counter

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

yes, nerding ooot.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Alright, I'm on a crazy budget right now. So this is where we're at:

BUT, I gotta say that normally I am a single-Malt kinda guy...and this is some GOOD shit.

I gotta cosizzle the Macallan but don't like the extreme smoke of the LaPhroaig unless it's on some serious ice. Normally I drink it all straight and neat.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    don't like the extreme smoke of the LaPhroaig unless it's on some serious ice. Normally I drink it all straight and neat.

it definitely is an acquired taste, along w/ Lagavulin (also Islay) as both are extremely peaty.

I'm neat all the way for single malts.

chan - you know you're more than welcome.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i gotta admit. i do love laphroaig. hey aser! hows that quarter cask? too rich for my blood and ive yet to see it any of the dive bars i frequent. im sure its tasty. i do love the lagavulin and glenmorangie 12 as wel.

but for me, i really really love me some jim and/or jack. its like comfort food. the cheap shits i'll take with some ice unless im having a beer in which case its the only thing i like tidy.

Alright, I'm on a crazy budget right now. So this is where we're at:

I caught the worst drunk of my life off a handle of Wild Turkey. The lights were on but nobody was home for about 7 hours. It's interesting to hear your friends recap the highlights of your retardedness. Apparently, at one point I went outside to piss in the snow, fell over halfway through, but continued to piss in the same posture I was in while standing.

I believe it.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i drink Macallan outta the bottle.

arrg.
    Beatducer

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

but for me, i really really love me some jim and/or jack. its like comfort food. the cheap shits
    When I drink whiskey (which is raer), I only drink Jack. I like to chase it with cheap beer (budweisers plaese). Too bad after about two or three of 'em, I'm puking my guts out.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

but for me, i really really love me some jim and/or jack. its like comfort food. the cheap shits
    When I drink whiskey (which is raer), I only drink Jack. I like to chase it with cheap beer (budweisers plaese). Too bad after about two or three of 'em, I'm puking my guts out.
    light weight.

I'm actually a little disturbed by my tolerance these days. I can put away four to five healthy shots of whiskey, each with a beer back and still remember everything. No puking either. Time to slow down, me thinks.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

neat, or with a splash, it's all good.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

This one was a pleasant surprise. Any of the scotch realheadz have any thoughts/reviews on the Trader Joe's single malt collection? There's another 18 year old one that apparently is made by Macallan I might have to try.

If I'm spending a fair amount, I like a modest scotch, Lagavulin 16, or Glenmorange Sherry Wood 12 year are a couple of favorites that are not ridiculous but luxurious. Lots of really good tequilas in approximately the same price range as well. For more budget friendly whiskey, I move over to bourbon, $20 bourbon (Knob Creek, Maker's Mark) is a lot more tolerable than $20 scotch.

• yes, nerding ooot.

What up foll? I'm coming to your place for drinks!!!!!!!!!!

looking good...down with the scottish steez...highland park like what? dallwhinne to the DOME!

I love that peety, smokey taste...wife hates it. she asks me to brush my lungs. but, on our wedding she gave me a bottle of scapa, as it is from Orkney, where sirgareth the kitchen knight came from (so is Highland park.)

ahh, whiskey.

Ahhh the Glenlivet... If there is no macallan, it is a worthy 2nd choice.

As for the Peatier Scotches: I am not that partial as i drink mine neat, the smokey saltiness can be amazing especially when accompianed by a rich meal.

Big Chan, that 18 yr Talisker looks noice.

Check the Macallan website for some knowledge