So if we rolled the board back 10 years... where is everyone?

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    It's ironic that a number of people went on to create other sites or switched to Facebook. People acted like the internet would bring everyone together but instead it's separated people even more in a lot of ways. Everyone wants a sub-genre web site when a lot of us are into all kinds of different music and would prefer 1 good site. I've always felt bad about not contributing rips as much as I should but I still stick to the Strut. I like being able to talk about almost anything, I don't have time to maintain posts on 10 discussion boards every day.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I love Soul Strut in 2014. The pace is perfect for me as I don't have the time to be checking every 30mins for new posts. Once a day is perfect. Still heaps of great info posted here. Thank you everyone

I find all this "longing for the old strut" talk really boring. The old posters you miss so much don't post here cause they don't want to. More power to them. Move on.

• this thread feels like that point in the party where a whole bunch of randoms came, ruined the party, eventually left, and then it's just the last 5-10 souls sticking it out for one last beer.

and yet, here I am.

• There was a thread a while back in response to some shit-talk on waxidermy that really brought some old folks out of the woodwork.

The general sentiment was the same...old heads, still checking in periodically but for the most part have other shit going on in their lives, but still appreciate the strut for what it was and is and how it's connected a pretty unique community.

• I would like to point out that I think this place could still be a cool spot for new users. There is a ton of content in the form of reviews and mixes. I know the general consensus is that most people are sticking to social media based communities... but I think there will always be people who enjoy this messageboard format.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    I'm still around just the name done changed (formally know as b-boy parkz)
    I wish forums were still like they used to be, my life is busy but I still find time to sit and spend an hour or so on the internet whilst listening to records, working odd hours gives me some free time I guess. Its 0500 now, and my wife and kids are alseep upstairs and I wish I was but shiftwork pays the bills.

Im still into records, my habit has got worse if anythings, I don't go drinking/clubbing anymore so thats a lot of money to saved to spend on other things.

who was that guy who used to come on here years ago and speak in some weird lingo? I-Dox or something like that?

right i'm off for a run before the family wakes up.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    For years I've been working on another compilation, but the game, as they say, has changed. Everyone and their nephew has a compilation. My passion for curating may have waned enough that I can't be bothered to add another drop to an ocean of releases.

I shit you not, I was checking waxing deep last night and listened to the episode where you were on higher ground talking about si para usted. Last night dude. It's a bit crazy hearing the passion in your voice just last night, juxtaposed with your "I'm over it" text as above.

You are probably the biggest reason that I went from occassional lurker on soulstrut back in '01 or '02, to lurking daily on account of you posting ako's "1969" and "untitled" on waxing deep (before it was released on MPM).

Anyway, lots of interesting dudes have come through this place. I think the rise of mp3s, the lack of mixes posted here, dudes rarely posting beats, and dudes having babies is as much to blame as social media for the waning traffic on here. Oddly, this is my go to place for current affairs and a good chuckle. I still collect, but very selectively.

Where is Thes? That dude has single-handedly lifted this place a couple times in the last few years.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    this thread feels like that point in the party where a whole bunch of randoms came, ruined the party, eventually left, and then it's just the last 5-10 souls sticking it out for one last beer.

and yet, here I am.

All gravy.

To answer Graftwritah's question, 10 years ago, I was getting my palms sweaty engaging in some real hardcroe keyboard styles with Jonny_Paycheck and Motown67, and Faux_rillz, and....

Batmon came way later, he like soy latte pass for sure. Real soft sparkle run stylez for days.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Aaack, I set my time machine too far back and ended up here:

http://members.accessus.net/~xombi/crates.html

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    still here

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Mid life crisis strut: alive and well in 2014.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    Aaack, I set my time machine too far back and ended up here:

http://members.accessus.net/~xombi/crates.html

Kind of unfortunate how he kind of piloted that concept and now there are sites that seem to do a decent job monetizing that info. And a lot more visually appealing, I might at.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'ma stay saying stupid shit on Soulstrut. And my Facebook experience is heavily Soulstrut-centric as well.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i dont have anyone from soulstrut on facebook

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    10 years?

I would hate going back 10 year. Way less money. Completely unhappy relationtionship. The only upside would be knowing I'd have another 10 years with my gramps.

As far as the strut goes... While it's not crazy busy. It's outlasted probably 85% of the sites I use to check out on the regular. The interwebs is a wasteland of dead links and sites.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I was (and still am) mourning the death of Real Hip-Hop.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I'ma stay saying stupid shit on Soulstrut.

This x 200 million

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    As a long time lurker, I figure there are a lot of unregistered readers around here too.

• scratching and surviving

• skel said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    I'ma stay saying stupid shit on Soulstrut.

This x 200 million

check, and raise.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    What is a vintage infant, anyway? Makes me think of a mummified baby corpse or something.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Grafwritah said:
    What is a vintage infant, anyway? Makes me think of a mummified baby corpse or something.

I always thought 'vintage infant' was a description of his penis, which kind of makes it an inappropriate handle imo, being that this is primarily a music site...Different strokes, I guess...

(J/K, J***)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Grafwritah said:

• batmon said:
    Grafwritah said:

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Vintage infant?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hey - Nice to hear from you and see you posting. I never did get the title of your book.

I left because Soul Strut is not a place for me anymore. I put four people on ignore within a week after years of not feeling like I ever needed to and it occurred to me that was the door showing itself. It was bound to happen, just took me a lot longer than other folks. I come by to pick up PMs now and then and check a thread or two.

I recently left FB, too - for different reasons - though I had very few Soul Strut friends on there. I'm still emailing with the general population though ha ha

Hope all is well with everyone!

PS. Sorry I'm missing the Montreal get-together but I need to be home this weekend. Have some drinks and epic dance moves for me.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    bassie said:
    Hey - Nice to hear from you and see you posting. I never did get the title of your book.

I left because Soul Strut is not a place for me anymore. I put four people on ignore within a week after years of not feeling like I ever needed to and it occurred to me that was the door showing itself. It was bound to happen, just took me a lot longer than other folks. I come by to pick up PMs now and then and check a thread or two.

I recently left FB, too - for different reasons - though I had very few Soul Strut friends on there. I'm still emailing with the general population though ha ha

PS. Sorry I'm missing the Montreal get-together but I need to be home this weekend. Have some drinks and epic dance moves for me.

Hey Bassie,

Personally, I am saddened to hear that the 'frat boys' have offended and pushed away one of our most prized members. You have made invaluable contributions to making this place what it is. I hope that those who read your words will think a little deeper about what they type in discourse with fellow Strut members. This is a community and we should display common courtesy in our exchanges with one another. I thank you for dropping in and, as usual, dropping some knowledge on us.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Living, loving, and lurking...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Does Bassie's more or less making it official that she's peace'd (and rightly so) mean that Soul Strut is now 100 percent bereft of a woman's touch? That's real sad. I had to close down my Facebook, too (well, deactivated six months or so ago) and am still looking for some discussions on topics of interest - it's a losing battle! I wish there was somewhere to read, say, several lengthy posts about that Moodyman LP that came out this year. I almost wish Pitchfork had comments - their offshoot site for film, The Dissolve, actually has surprisingly decent discourse with lots of informed, funny commenters - something this place once had in spades.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    bassie said:

I personally think you should stick it out til you at least hit 12,000 posts. It's all about setting goals...

Glad you're still checking messages here. Thought I was gonna have to roam the streets to come find you when you dropped fb.