The Gaffler

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Damn. I only knew dude on here but he truly seemed like one of the Real Headz. Life is way too short, appreciate your peoples fully while you can.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Woah......Dude was one the most consistently funny poasters up in here. Never dull.
    Left a great example on how to contribute on SS.

Hope his family & folks land safely.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    just seeing this now.
    Rest in Peace and condolences to all his people on here
    not even a thing i would even want to consider happening to any of you. :(

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Enjoyed his mixes on the Strut and his general all-around goofiness. Loved reading all the stories about the dude. Condolences to his friends and family.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    lily_stacks said:
    vinylstalker said:
    I met Matt thru SoulStrut. We wandered around sipping and talking and the night culminated in him listening to
    me practice the eulogy sitting on a rock under the P street bridge. Just the best.
    So good. His Sweatshirt game was tight.
    This has hit me hard.
    Love you boy, rest in power.

He only had the best things to say about you - I remember before you came to DC that time for your dad, he told me so many stories about you and what a great guy you were. The love was reciprocal.

This is so much harder than I ever thought it would be, I have no words, but I am SO happy to see all of the love for Matt here. I know he was a big contributor to this site and looked up to so many of you. I have almost every mix he ever made since we met and started dating in 2009 - sometime soon I'll go through and try to get them up for people to hear, if they haven't been up here yet.

This is one of my favorite pictures of us - Matt being his usual goofy, doesn't-give-a-shit self, dancing at Westway in NYC to a live set by one of his favorite dudes Roctakon.

Lily

Very sorry for your loss, Lily. Matt seemed like a great dude.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I only knew Matt through the site, and here he was always a great person. As a part of the Strut family, and as a fellow cyclist, I send condolences and best wishes to everyone who knew and loved him. I'll miss him being around.

Dan

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    RIP horrible summer as far as fellow board members are concerned

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    pcmr said:
    RIP horrible summer as far as fellow board members are concerned

Did I miss any other news?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Damn...when I was in NYC recently, Matt made a point to PM me and let me know he'd be down to hang. Schedules conflicted and we were never able to get up. We texted back and forth a bit and I said we definitely need to get up next time I'm in NYC. I truly looked forward to getting an opportunity to meet him because I always respected his record selection, his work, his contributions to the board and the fact that he was a fellow DC dude.

I'm really kicking myself for not being able to hang with the dude when I had the chance last week.

My deepest condolences to his friends and family.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    JectWon said:

My deepest condolences to his friends and family.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Breaking my heart reading this.
    Vibes to all.
    Soulstrut is great.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    A service will be held for Matt this Saturday at 2:40 pm

At

Manassas Baptist Church
    8730 Sudley Rd.
    manassas, VA

• Here's a pic of Matt and DC crew at my wedding.

• is anyone going who could give me contact about sending flowers/tribute?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    is anyone going who could give me contact about sending flowers/tribute?

+1

pm if you want.

• I've called the church, and they don't normally have anyone to receive mail on Saturday,
    the day of Matt's service. If you get it there by 5 today that will receive it and have it at the service.

Hope that helps, I used FedEx.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    So sad. Rest in Peace

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    Very sad to hear this. Many happy memories talking ish on strut.
    Love to his family and friends.

Celebrating life,
    stein....

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    This is truly a sad time. I was lucky enough to have met, traded, hungout, & smoke with Matt in the real world. First time I met him he slid by my house and we realized one of his good friend lives around the corner from me. RIP to the him. God bless.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    Just got an email this morning about Matt's passing from a mutual friend of ours. I'd never met him personally but enjoyed following him on here and as YoungCoconutt. His posts and contributions always had a common theme: great sense of humor and free spirit. Two characteristics I admire and envy. Hearing of this saddens me.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Rest In Peace

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Wow. Rest in Power.

I didn't know Matt outside of the Strut, but just reading this thread is tough. Condolences and positive vibes to his friends and family. What a terrible loss.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I found a more detailed account of what happened:

http://www.streetsblog.org/2014/07/16/matthew-brenner-29-killed-earlier-this-month-on-sands-street/

His death is shrouded with mystery as to why he was cycling (the wrong way) on an on-ramp to the BQE!?

• it is really bizarre. I am not familiar with the location, but It seems the most plausible explanation based on that article and the map is that perhaps he hopped the barrier separating the Manhattan Bridge bike path and was making his way to the other bike path across Sands St.

He was an expert cyclist. Seems very unlikely that he was riding the wrong way on an on ramp from the BQE -- that suggests he was riding on the BQE against traffic.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    RAJ said:
    I found a more detailed account of what happened:

http://www.streetsblog.org/2014/07/16/matthew-brenner-29-killed-earlier-this-month-on-sands-street/

His death is shrouded with mystery as to why he was cycling (the wrong way) on an on-ramp to the BQE!?

That is just gutting to read. Tragic is the only word I can think of that comes close.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Was he still an active (graffiti) bomber??

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Goddamn that report is all sorts of heartbreaking.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    Herm said:
    Was he still an active (graffiti) bomber??

I think so, Herm. His tag was "GEEK" IIRC from the Instagram stuff I've seen.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP