The Gaffler

124»

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Very sad. Poor family. I hope something good comes of the fund they're setting up in his name.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    29 years. God damn, man. "Too soon" is a gross understatement. Rest in peace.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Matt lived on Tillary right between flatbush and the entrnace ramp to the BQE (Which goes East/West technically. The report says "Northbound")
    If Matt had a headcold, the closest 24 hour Duane Reade is in DUMBO. To get from Matt's place to the Duane Reade would require going under the BQE and traveling the wrong way up Sands St. My guess is that he was just making a quick run for some Tylenol PM or something.

Apparently someone took Matt's phone from the scene and used it several times. This bothers me to no end. Someone could have looked for "Mom" or anyone in his contacts to let them know, but instead Matt's body lay alone in a morgue unidentified for another 48 hours. Infact the death certificate states he was not dead until 5am the next morning. It's so heartbreaking to know that someone could have been with him when he passed.

I spent the last week getting to know his family and help everyone put together loose ends. I went to his apartment and got all of Matt's records and DJ gear. It looks like Matt sold off a lot of his collection, because i remember it being much larger when he lived in DC. However, he still had the quintessential Matt records. Goofy Private press covers, and the deepest collection of go-go i've ever seen. It's really hard looking through this stuff because it truly is a window into his private mind garden. The copies of 'Land of 1000 Chances' and 'Morgan' were also pretty gut wrenching to unearth.

I am pretty confident that Matt's life could have been saved had he been wearing a helmet. I survived a horrible wreck myself due to a helmet and strongly advocate wearing them whenever on a bicycle. Be safe everyone!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Damn. Just.... no words. fucking NYPD.

I hope during those hours between the accident and his death, he was somewhere else. Hospitals are fucking hell.

Thank You for stepping up for the family, being a friend and helping hand... I know how much that means in times like that. They are lucky to have you as was Matt.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    02:22 here.

Damn, feel so angry it passed like this. When you hear of what Matt did for strutteurs.

And I never met Matt. But we had such a craic over the interwebs.

Helmets. Or, as bikesnobnyc says, helments.

I took a broken bone last year and a fair amount of concussion off some dumb broad. Helmet did the job. Wear one.

• Very sad!

RIP.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I didn't want to speculate earlier, but my graf question was 'cause I was thinking maybe he'd been out on a quick bombing mission. (Mostly because of the "no ID" thing.)

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    wow, I come onto soulstrut first time in a year, I see this gut-wrenching news. He was one of my favorite dudes on here. He reminded me of my friends around my own town. Fun guy filled with life and laughter. Man, I'm sorry for his loss. What a tragic loss of a great human being.

• every time this thread gets bumped back up i almost cry.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This is so sad. RIP to a funny cool dude.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    every time this thread gets bumped back up i almost cry.

Every time it comes up I play one of his mixes.

Set Sail by Count Stackswell on Mixcloud

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I've been going through a Migraine cycle the past 2 weeks and every time I try to get into this thread my head starts throbbing and I gotta pull out. It is so sad. WTF wrt bikes, so many close calls over the years. Not to mention skating... It always seems like a role of the dice when shit goes down. I've broken, torn and banged shit around. But death is way too harsh a price. And the way it went down..... shit

Just saw this on IG. (Sorry, posting from my phone. Can't embed pic.)

• Herm said:

Here's the embed. Anyone know where this is? Would love to see it sometime.

Me too. I'll be in NY for exactly one day next week. Hopefully I can swing by and catch my own flick.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    We just put up a memorial site for matt here:
    ripmattstackswell.com

If anyone would like to contribute photos, or memories to the site, it would have meant a lot to our friend.
    please have a look around and feel free to give us feedback if you notice anything amiss.

also we will be celebrating matt's birthday this sunday. i encourage any and all soulstrutters that can make it to come.

I thought about Matt this week when I walked past the Christmas Biscuits in Sainsbury's that I used to send over.

If I'd known about the event earlier, I would have sent some across for make benefit hors d'ouvres etc.

I don't think they'll get to NYC in time now.

Let me know if you run it in 2015, and have a blast.

I will pour one on the kerb for homie.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    meistromoco said:
    Herm said:

Here's the embed. Anyone know where this is? Would love to see it sometime.

The piece is on the corner of Boerum St. and White St. in Bushwick, Brooklyn. An address you can put in is 295 Boerum St., though I'm not completely sure that's the building address. The nearest train is the L to Morgan, 6 stops into Brooklyn from Manhattan. There's a record store - The Crate Record Store - adjacent to that building. I live nearby if anyone would like to meet up for a drink. Peace.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    T**, I'ma try to pass through on Sunday. Thanks for posting this up.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I uploaded my favorite mix that Matt did, the Latin Promo: https://www.sendspace.com/file/x3z0lk

Miss that dude.

2 years.  Damn thun.
    RAJDOR

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Still miss that guy.  He added such a good mix of humor and knowledge to the site.  

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Still miss that guy.  He added such a good mix of humor and knowledge to the site.  

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Gone too soon. 

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Imagine what the record digging scene would be like if we still had Matt, Matthew Africa, and Aaron Breakself Anderson back.

s

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Just awful.