Bicycles

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    At my worst I was up to 5...

We have a small garage and things were getting ridiculous. There are kids bikes and scooters of differing sizes all over the place too. Plus a chest freezer, beer fridge, enough camping gear for a military campaign and enough drills, saws, paint and spare tiles to build a second Taj Mahal. Ladders x 3. Jetwasher. Car service stuff. Boxes of usb cables and adaptors. A treadmill that's been folded up for 5 years. 10 pairs of wellies. Golf clubs. Sledges. Bodyboards. Roofracks. Bass cabs. Wine. It's like a cross between Jenga and Tetris. We need a TARDIS.

This made me laugh, sounds like my place!

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I ride the same Kona i bought in 96'. It's in very rough shape.
    I haven't been able to let go, but i will by season's end. Most people wouldn't ride it, i'm guessing.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I've been bike commuting since last summer on a $150 CL Trek hybrid. I'm guessing it's about 10 years old. In that time, I've learned a lot of general bike knowledge (as is common with cheap-o bikes, I've broken and replaced the BB, pedals, a spoke, the 7-sp freewheel, chain, derailleur and hanger, brake pads, rebuilt the hubs-- twice on the rear due to a severely bent axle, which I also replaced and approx 10 flats.)
    I'm sticking with the bike commuting, as I've had to revisit MUNI a few times over the last year, and fuck all that.

Long story short, I'm starting to put aside some cash for a brand new commuter. I'm pretty much over the hybrid setup, and I'm looking for something both faster and more bulletproof. I'm currently rolling on 35c's and wouldn't mind going more narrow (not too narrow-- SF roads are garbage, and I'm 6'1" and over 200lb w/ backpack full of lunch/coffee/work clothes) say, 28c. All signs point to a road bike, either steel or aluminum frame, geared. Not looking top of the line as this is SF, and I've yet to earn my cut-u-lock badge of honor, so I don't want that to be too financially demoralizing-- but I'm not looking to continue to replace crappy composite framed derailleurs because I mashed on it too hard, know what I mean?
    What I'm currently faced with is an overwhelming amount of choice in the new-bike realm. I don't really know where to begin. I figured I'd turn to this thread rather than bike forums, because bike-snobbery isn't really my M.O. So, Strut bicyclers: any suggestions of brands/builds (or stores, in SF) are welcome and appreciated.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Good stuff Jimbo.

If I've learned anything from my commuting it's that you don't want to be stopping to fix shit.
    You could get an unobtainium frame with wheels made from eigenvectored synthetic spider webs, which cost 10K and are only good for one wind direction, and you'd save 30 seconds on the whole trip. When nothing broke.

If I were you, I'd go with an ally frame and Shimano Deore components. Fit and forget.
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres should be damn near unburstable.

Cheap. Strong. Light. Pick any two.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I just went through the same process for a long time. What's your budget and what size frame do you normally ride? I'd be happy to make some suggestions or check bay area CL for you.

The Surly Cross-Check is great, can be set-up pretty much any way you like, and they can be found for $500ish used. They do run a little large. I normally ride a 56-57cm and would get a 54-55 cross-check.

I love my Salsa Casseroll and would recommend it in a heartbeat, but they can be hard to find. I was patient and found one on eBay in new condition with Dura-Ace and Ultegra components and hand built wheels for $800.

I like both of these bikes because of their versatility. You can run small or large tires. They can be run single speed, fixed, or geared. You can run mountain or road gearing. They can be set up as mild touring, commuter, gravel, or fast road bikes. They have lots of rack and fender mounts. So if you change the way you want to ride, you don't have to buy a new bike. They are both steel frames and will take a beating.

Others here might chime in with some other suggestions.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Yeah there are a lot of good commuter bikes now, for sure. Around here, my Crosscheck seems to be worth more than it should be. It's just a decent steel frame made in Taiwan. Like oh so many other bikes. But I do dig it. I have an Ultegra 12-28t cassette on the back still. That gearing is low enough that if I'm in decent shape I can get it up Seattle's hills in my 39t chainring. 8 speed so I grabbed an early SRAM MTB derailler and used that--definitely more diesel than a road RD. The thing shifts so well still, love it!

Crosscheck's fork is so wack though, I swear. If I were forced to put drop bars back on that bike I'd get a new fork. One that didn't weigh five pounds and flex like a wet noodle. But then, that frame wouldn't probably be what I was looking for either.

REI's store brand Novarra has been kept alive by their great flat bar bike the Buzz. They were kinda the first to do it, and it's still a great city bike.
    Surly Crosscheck's geometry really allows for so many different setups it's hard to argue against: any hub/wheel/tire and chainring you want to run.
    If I were in the market right now I'd get a Fairdale. Same Taiwan factories as all the big boys, but it's run by a BMX pro in Austin and their style is cool. I have their skateboard rack and I handfan every time I see it!

I'm done with drop bars though, so I'm only going to talk about more upright city coffee creeperbikes.

Schwinn even has some cool looking ones!

But yeah: cyclocross geometry is more relaxed and I guess better for commuting. Clearances for fenders, all that. Beefy, beefy.

Although the SF bike theft scene is probably heavy enough that I'd just go buy another streeted-out rigid MTB and see how long it lasts...

add Continental Gatorskins and Vittoria Randonneurs to the list of good puncture-resistant tYres too.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    CBear said:
    I just went through the same process for a long time. What's your budget and what size frame do you normally ride? I'd be happy to make some suggestions or check bay area CL for you.

The Surly Cross-Check is great, can be set-up pretty much any way you like, and they can be found for $500ish used. They do run a little large. I normally ride a 56-57cm and would get a 54-55 cross-check.

I love my Salsa Casseroll and would recommend it in a heartbeat, but they can be hard to find. I was patient and found one on eBay in new condition with Dura-Ace and Ultegra components and hand built wheels for $800.

I like both of these bikes because of their versatility. You can run small or large tires. They can be run single speed, fixed, or geared. You can run mountain or road gearing. They can be set up as mild touring, commuter, gravel, or fast road bikes. They have lots of rack and fender mounts. So if you change the way you want to ride, you don't have to buy a new bike. They are both steel frames and will take a beating.

Others here might chime in with some other suggestions.

Well, after looking at too many sites, it seems like the class of components I'm looking at typically comes on frames that push the bike out of the reasonable-for-my-use price range. I'd say that I'm in the ballpark of around $1000 total, and the more I research, the more I realize I'll likely be building a bike (which I rather like) rather than buying a complete kit.
    I'm not actually sure what size I should be riding on. My current ride-it-for-a-year to make sure you'll keep doing it bike is this one http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2007&brand=Trek&model=7100 and I'm on the 20" size-- but it definitely feels too small, so a 54cm/56cm should be about right. I had actually glanced at this on the Soma website http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/es
    I hadn't looked at the cross frames in detail-- I'm unsure how different the geometry will be from the road frames and how it will effect my ride position. I'm definitely looking to lean into a more aggressive stance than on my current Mary Poppins department store setup, as I'm finding that I currently have a tendency to hunch (likely also due to the too small frame) while riding.
    I understand how the cross frames allow for more tire options and the addition of fenders, etc. Do you think there's a significant difference in durability of the frame or the rims that it allows? I can't really visualize how much "wider" the cross frames are over the road, although they do have a longer wheelbase, what's that do to ride stance?
    I'm not too much of a curb hopper, but I frequently ride through massive unavoidable potholes.
    Also, is there a significant difference in the components these two frame types are compatible with?

I guess the first step is to head over to a shop and sit on a few of these frames to determine proper sizing, right?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    These are really just road frames with a little more relaxed geometry than a race bike. You can always start with a complete bike and make changes as you see them fit by buying and selling used to keep it cheap.

Visiting a bike shop to sit on some bikes is a great idea. Some shops will even let you take them out for a ride.

I custom built myself a Raleigh Record Ace with really nice components and tiny tires, and ultimately didn't like it very much. It was too aggressive and I cringed every time I hit a pothole. I've been much happier with a slightly relaxed riding position and bigger tires. I rode my Salsa Casseroll for 27 miles this morning like it was nothing and even made some top 5 strava scores out of hundreds of people recording their rides. I only say that to let you know you don't need a race bike to go fast.

Your current bike seems a little small for you. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and ride a 55-57cm frame. I have a 20" mountain bike and it's fine for me, but a hair small.

These are some bikes I found in sizes close to yours. They are what I'm currently about, and it's just one man's opinion. I like steel frames and options for larger tires.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4500352790.html
    It's got bar end shifters. I prefer shifters integrated into the brakes as I don't moving my hands to shift.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4509763369.html
    Might be too big for you.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/4509607466.html

that crosscheck is dialed take a trip to sacto and trade some meth for it

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    cove said:
    I ride the same Kona i bought in 96'. It's in very rough shape.
    I haven't been able to let go, but i will by season's end. Most people wouldn't ride it, i'm guessing.

Well it sorta died the following day. End of an era.
    Working on a tour bike now, it's quite different and fun.

bikes!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    fully
    those who never bike mustn't know what they're missing

Lunchtime today

T 3 H B I E K Z.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Doooood your bike scenery pics are :face_melt:

Also... I just bought this...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I plan on taking a bunch of cycling photos at the Harlem Cycling Classic this Sunday.

Hey Jimster....i hope to snake you a shirt....were going through some administrative changes this year.

• cove said:
    fully
    those who never bike mustn't know what they're missing

:(

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    What are you trying to say?!

I know Tdot's mayor hates cyclists, but...

• cove said:
    What are you trying to say?!

I know Tdot's mayor hates cyclists, but...

i think I've read every page of this thread, and I DO keep up with it's goings ons, but 99% of the time i have absolutely zero clue of what is being said.... it's like reading finnegans wake; perplexing and wonderful.

so ":(", i DONT know what im missing, but ive read the empire's hieroglyphics and it looks like a hell of a good time.

• someone tell me what bike to get for a neophyte with 40% muscle in one leg and 15% in the other and ill go buy it tomorrow.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

i think I've read every page of this thread, and I DO keep up with it's goings ons

yeah, that was the next thing. You clearly want one, or are curious enough to consider it.
    Someone help(!), cuz i'm not really a bike guy (I just ride one for 8-9 months a year).

So much fun, releases much stronger feelings of freedom than owning a firearm.

Hope you get one!

vintageinfants said:
    someone tell me what bike to get for a neophyte with 40% muscle in one leg and 15% in the other and ill go buy it tomorrow.

I know you are coming off a nasty tendon snap - How strong is that new tissue? Srs brah let it knit. Get a used mtb offa ebay because their gearing will be able to accommodate and not punish your weaker leg like a brakeless fixie would. Just stick to the flat for now, lapping the park or somesuch. I don't know what you are doing for aerobic, but just build it gradually.

You know this already.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

You're getting me all nostalgic for teh sceptred isle. Lovley pix.

Cheers!

Post pics of local latin ladies that all look like Cindy Crawford's prettier sisters, or your (sic) soft.

No-one in this thread will object.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    someone tell me what bike to get for a neophyte with 40% muscle in one leg and 15% in the other and ill go buy it tomorrow.

It's not terribly stylish, but the Electra Townie is the easiest bike I've ever ridden. My mom has about as much lung power as you do leg power, and she rides one. They make mens and womens versions. Just a thought if you're serious about needing an easy to use bicycle.

vintageinfants said:

Nicolas Vouilloz is Back - Overvolt Lapierre from Echeverri Mathieu on Vimeo.

staying brand-loyal with lapierre overvolt. It'll only be like 6 G's but I can help you get a demo probably. 4, 5 thousand. HOLLARRRRR

J i m s t e r said:
    Cheers!

Post pics of local latin ladies that all look like Cindy Crawford's prettier sisters, or your (sic) soft.

I 3 bikes yo. But if this thread has to be sacrificed to the booty gods, so be it.

Vintage. J**l... (can I call you J**l?) Bro. Homie. Duuuude. You should get a bike. I'd listen to Mr Idilic-Lunchtime-Rides and go with a mountain bike so you have the gears to accommodate your situation. I assume that you're missing your previous level of activeness / mobility, and a bike is not only going to help you build back muscle and strength, but it will feel amazing to zip along on the bike instead of semi-hobbling along on foot. It is definitely a mixture of freedom and adrenaline that I hadn't experienced since I was a teenager. Just taking a rip to the corner store is fun. You explore your neighbourhood and city in a completely new way.

I don't think you're anywhere near Leslieville... but you've got an open invitation to join our bike gang, the Leslie Villains. We're a proud outfit. 5 Strong. Ride or Die. :D

• BeatChemist said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    Cheers!

I 3 bikes yo. But if this thread has to be sacrificed to the booty gods, so be it.

Vintage. J**l... (can I call you J**l?) Bro. Homie. Duuuude. You should get a bike.

I don't think you're anywhere near Leslieville... but you've got an open invitation to join our bike gang, the Leslie Villains. We're a proud outfit. 5 Strong. Ride or Die. :D

you may, and you should.

and once i get a little wheely-popper, ill chuck it in the back of the 2500 and bring it down to your end and split lanes until the wheels come off, or a taxicab door cleans me out. #hiwayne

Sweet. Now I can say we got 6 in the gang. :D

I will hold you to this.

Now where's the latinabootypics??!?!?!