Bicycles

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    From the relared vids:

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    and here's that Strava article I lanqued in the other bike thread the_DL started (srslybrowtf this is a :five_pager: comeon)

I dont get where you are going with this, you hatt strava because over 5 years it has contributed to 2 documented deaths, one of a guy who was trying to ride too fast and another douche was was too self absorbed to care about others?

Each to their own but I find it to be a useful training and motivational tool, I have never let it get in the way of my or any one else's safety.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    yeah I think it's a great mileage and training logger, but there's just something off about it. There's this weird vibe it attracts and enhances, where I think the Overall Happiness Of People On Bikes is negatively affected. Dudes that think they're actually in a race, knownots inventing new segments (by fiddling with start/stop points), assholes going for Strava gold on the heavily-traveled two-way 200-yard slick wood plank bridge to the parking lot at the local mountain bike park, and yeah--newjacks blowing stop signs and ramming into the sides of trucks.
    My main gripe is with the personalized medals Timmy can win in his driveway, though. I will cop to that. Can't stand that shit. That shit doesn't count, that shit shouldn't count. There are bike races already: you show up and race other people. You try not to notice their calf muscles, you pretend you're not tripping, you hear them upshift behind you at the bottom of the hill. You can't win a race alone!

I just wish you had to get home to check it. There are trails around here that have definitely been moved down my list because of Strava jerks. I guess they're just jerk jerks, but they do all love Strava. If you're able to keep it in your pocket and check it out later, I applaud you.

• Duderonomy said:
    From the relared vids:

pardon my ignorance, but is there anyone else on or even close to his level? is he on some rodney mullen/killian martin type shit? or is this just what all of you guys do on weekends.

btw: picking music for your footy is a lost art, but he really knocked it out of the park with this one.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I don't know a lot but I think he's in a league of his own. I remember a friend of mine who was really into trials telling me that when his first video came out it blew riders' minds.

If we have to smash it into a skateboarding analogy, I think he's like when Jason Lee started 360 flipping little dirt gaps in the street, as opposed to THE_MUTT. Mullen invented all those tricks, so maybe he's like the Hans Rey, and now this Danny Mac here is building on it. The trials guys that hop around on picnic tables can't brap a whirlybird 720 like this motherfucker, that's for sure.
    And all the mountain bike tricks are way behind BMX.
    It doesn't really shake out exactly analogous to anything else.
    EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING MANNNNNNNN

but as for how far above this is from the average kid, I have no idea. I just ride my bike around on swoopy trails, sometimes hitting corny mountain bike gappers. I can barely ride a bmx bike to the store, especially without brakes.

I take my friends' words for it that this guy's whiplash to g-turn is on some mullen virtual reality rolling way too fast:

Waldemar Fatkin Flat.Street.Whatever Autum Bikes from Waldemar Fatkin on Vimeo.

but I can't tell what's going on really. All I know is it's weird and cool and I love it.

vintageinfants said:
    picking music for your footy is a lost art, but he really knocked it out of the park with this one.

agree and UNFOLLOWED.
    That song almost erases all my desire to ever visit the Isle of Men.

dukeofdelridge said:
    yeah I think it's a great mileage and training logger, but there's just something off about it. There's this weird vibe it attracts and enhances, where I think the Overall Happiness Of People On Bikes is negatively affected. Dudes that think they're actually in a race, knownots inventing new segments (by fiddling with start/stop points), assholes going for Strava gold on the heavily-traveled two-way 200-yard slick wood plank bridge to the parking lot at the local mountain bike park, and yeah--newjacks blowing stop signs and ramming into the sides of trucks.
    My main gripe is with the personalized medals Timmy can win in his driveway, though. I will cop to that. Can't stand that shit. That shit doesn't count, that shit shouldn't count. There are bike races already: you show up and race other people. You try not to notice their calf muscles, you pretend you're not tripping, you hear them upshift behind you at the bottom of the hill. You can't win a race alone!

I just wish you had to get home to check it. There are trails around here that have definitely been moved down my list because of Strava jerks. I guess they're just jerk jerks, but they do all love Strava. If you're able to keep it in your pocket and check it out later, I applaud you.

ok, i kind of get what youre saying, thgere is a certain level of douchness that goes along with the strava addicts, people obsess about challenges and KOM's etc, i suppose I am lucky in the group of guys I ride with we tend to compete against ourselves (ie I compare my times to my times) but have a friendly rivalry for kilometers ridden/ elevation gain that keeps us all motivated to get out and ride.

has closed other thread, so imported this here. After close to 8 years off the bikes thanks to a knee injury I have over the past 12 months been starting to regain my fitness and have been really enjoying being back out on the bike. I started back out on a cheapish second hand road bike to make sure I wasn't just wasting my time/money but after close to 12 months and a little over 12,000 kilometres I figured it was time to upgrade.

Bianchi Sempre
    Campagnolo Super Record/Record mix
    Campagnolo Zonda wheel set
    Itm carbon post and stem (100mm stem gets swapped tomorrow for a 90mm)
    I'm sure I'm not the only cyclist on here, what are you guys riding, want to ride?
    Ps post your strava profile or you're soft
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/dlatte

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    And...

Boom. 29er acquired. Why? Because I am owed a new bike by accident woman and I already have a 26" bike which you can have when you prise it from my cold, dead hands.

Took it straight out of the shop this lunchtime and got it sh1tted to f*ck in the mud, which was what it was built for. It's going to be muddy and clay-y and a couple of damp degress around here for a few months now - at best. And to use james' analogy, who wants to floss an unused condom?

It maybe rolls a little faster when freewheeling, but the powestrokes are not noticeably different. Nice looking bike when it's clean. I don't like the flat bars or round grips, but they'll be swapped pronto. Marginally less hammer from minor root systems, but at the expense of a little steering twitch, which I have grown accustomed to.

Who else is 29ing?

someone should write a BOT that just plonks these down here in this thread:

that XTR wheel is sitting in my trunk now. I may have ruined it. XT replacement is the same crazy spoke setup, but has some red bits on it. We'll see.

Mega dry cold snap had me riding mountain bikes in 21degrees last weekend. I doubled up on all clothing items and just dealt with it. A couple stream crossings into the ride and we all had froze drops on metal parts. Kinda rad. No idea how anyone was out on a road bike in that cold, but they were.

carry on

• That video is absolutely bananers. Bunnyhopping over a tennis net = :face_melt:

Shitty news about Ashton, though...he suffered a pretty serious spine injury and may be partially paralyzed!

dukeofdelridge said:
    someone should write a BOT that just plonks these down here in this thread:

that XTR wheel is sitting in my trunk now. I may have ruined it. XT replacement is the same crazy spoke setup, but has some red bits on it. We'll see.

Mega dry cold snap had me riding mountain bikes in 21degrees last weekend. I doubled up on all clothing items and just dealt with it. A couple stream crossings into the ride and we all had froze drops on metal parts. Kinda rad. No idea how anyone was out on a road bike in that cold, but they were.

carry on

think i have watched it 5 or six times over the last few days, unbelievable

I'm planning a good bike adventure this week.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I'm gonna need more details.

cove said:
    I'm gonna need more details.

Okay well give me a day to commit.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

I just bought a single gear road bike! Pretty excited about it. I haven't owned a bike in over 10 years. Want to start commuting to work instead of riding the TTC. Toronto's pretty flat, so I figure I can get away without gears. My ride to work should end up being about 30-45 minutes comfortably. I'm riding freewheel right now, but I'll probably end up switching over to fixed gear once I get used to the bike and work up some leg strength.

You dudes climbing mountains and shit... you really make me feel out of shape for being winded after a few blocks of solid peddling. Ha!

I just bought a single gear road bike! Pretty excited about it. I haven't owned a bike in over 10 years.

Your knees will be the first to complain! :D

If you find the experience to be less than fun, don't give up, just get some gears or zig-zag the hills. Single-speeds are hard work uphill.

Good luck.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    BeatChemist said:

I just bought a single gear road bike! I'm riding freewheel right now, but I'll probably end up switching over to fixed gear once I get used to the bike and work up some leg strength.

Nice! I reckon you'll enjoy your single speed, it's a really nice way to ride - the bike won't be changing so you need to push a bit hard to go fast or go up. I'd recommend you try it fixed. You don't need to be much stronger if you keep the brakes, it's just a different way of riding it you'll need to learn. There are thousands of painfully embarrassing accounts of why fixed gears are soooo zen and radical out there but all you need to know is that it's fun.

This was my fixed bike back at the peak of my skidding days. I miss that wheel.

J i m s t e r said:

Your knees will be the first to complain! :D

If you find the experience to be less than fun, don't give up, just get some gears or zig-zag the hills. Single-speeds are hard work uphill.

Good luck.

Haha thanks! I really don't plan on climbing hills much at all. My bike to work, or really anywhere in downtown Toronto, avoids most of the hills in the city. It's only really bad if you head further north uptown.

toby.d said:

Nice! I reckon you'll enjoy your single speed, it's a really nice way to ride - the bike won't be changing so you need to push a bit hard to go fast or go up. I'd recommend you try it fixed. You don't need to be much stronger if you keep the brakes, it's just a different way of riding it you'll need to learn. There are thousands of painfully embarrassing accounts of why fixed gears are soooo zen and radical out there but all you need to know is that it's fun.

This was my fixed bike back at the peak of my skidding days. I miss that wheel.

I will definitely be riding fixed eventually. "More in tune with the road" and all that blah blah blah... is about 50-60% of my interest. I am certainly not kidding myself - I bought this bike for the aesthetics of riding it. And I love the clean, stripped down look/ethos of a fixie. Pair that with the trick aspect - skids, wheelies, etc and I'm hooked. No doubt, as Jimster poited out, I have sacrificed some enjoyment/pleasure for this. Long term, I see myself having two bikes. A sick fixie that I ride around on days off, leisure cruises, going for brunch, etc. And then a geared road bike for my work commute and longer rides. I could really see myself getting into longer day rides.

What kind of mileage are you guys doing on the regular??
    Also, can you recommend a good bike computer for tracking distance/speed? Or do you iPhone it? Looking to get into pushing myself with times, avg speed, etc.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    My advice would be to not get too into computers, stats, etc. or Strava. Keep it simple. If you must, a very simple Cateye with distance and speed will tell you everything you ever need to know unless you start racing.

Start with the basic Rules and adapt as necessary: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Welcome to the fold.

HOLLAFAME said:
    My advice would be to not get too into computers, stats, etc. or Strava. Keep it simple. If you must, a very simple Cateye with distance and speed will tell you everything you ever need to know unless you start racing.

Start with the basic Rules and adapt as necessary: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Welcome to the fold.

Solid set of rules.

I just installed Strava on my phone... So I guess I'm gonna try it out hahaha. I'm not gonna get all fucking lame with it. But auto tracking my distance and speed and having a history is appealing. Plus no extra accessories on the bike. Cuz it's all about the bike, right? :D

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:

these are astoundingly lame & stupid. makes me embarrassed for all my fellow regular bike riders.

BeatChemist said:
    What kind of mileage are you guys doing on the regular??

I ride about 10 miles every lunchtime offroad. In decent months, when it's light early and late, I'll do the commute 8 miles each way too.

See, my goal is to stay in shape, not to win Le Tour, so despite challenging my own fitness on some routes, I am not a competitive rider. There are some mega-motivated riders where I work; I see them cycling in during snow and rain. I dunno, that could be you, but not me. F*ck that for a game of soldiers.

I like what Holla says, don't sweat the details. I used to clock the miles, but then, I realised my kind of riding was like going surfing; just enjoying being out there on two wheels and taking whatever route came my way. The numbers are irrelevant.

Once you start riding against the numbers, you adopt a competitive attitude. For me, it stops being fun then. Once I stop enjoying it, I lose motivation.

The pleasure is to play,
    Don't make no difference what you say.
    - Lemmy

I do like reeling-in lycra warriors when I am in jeans on an MTB though :D

Oh yeah I'm not gonna be swapping lap times with buddies or facebook or anything like that. I just want to have some way to measure my own limitations so I can push them. Right not I can go for a ride full out for about 3-4km before I really need to slow down and rest. Want to push my distance limits and also kinda fun to track average speed.

But I definitely understand your surfing analogy. I want to be more about the ride itself than the results I see at the end. I think the personal stats just helps me stay motivated to push myself.

J i m s t e r said:

I do like reeling-in lycra warriors when I am in jeans on an MTB though :D

Everyone's a racer when they can win!

Those rules are great, by the way.

And yeah usually I ride until I run out of water or am back at the car. All miles are not equal.

dukeofdelridge said:
    And yeah usually I ride until I run out of water or am back at the car. All miles are not equal.

I like this approach.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I like having my Stava app but don't use it very often. It can be fun to check basic stats like average and top speed, where you went, how long it took and the elevation. Fun to scroll through after the ride, good to motivate you to do another 5 miles but not essential in any way. If I got a bike computer it would be one of those Garmin jobs so I could download ride routes onto it and follow them, I really wish I could do that but they're not cheap.

The rules are the rules, if you don't like them you're doing it wrong or you may need to refer to rule 5.