Bicycles

Comments

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    toby.d said:

The rules are the rules, if you don't like them you're doing it wrong or you may need to refer to rule 5.

LOL. This is almost verbatim what I was going to write.

Option 3: be damn sure you're faster than most.

As for analytics, I like to pre-route my longer rides using mapmyride. That tells me what I like to know about distance, elevation, gradients, etc. It helps to put things in perspective. For example, when you feel good about doing 5km at 6%, think about Mont Ventoux, which is 21km at about 8% avg.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Ventoux

Man who sits behind me at work has done Ventoux. He's middle-aged and very plain, doesn't look like a pro racer but he said it wasn't too bad. He's not a very expressive kind of bloke, perfect programmer material, probably thought about chunking code on the way up, whereas I would be contemplating what Tommy Simpson felt (he was a notable Brit pro rider who died on the Ventoux stage of Le Tour in 1968, after collapsing and getting the crowd to put him back on his bike).

For more character-building Ventoux anecdotes, google Eros Poli.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    My car was all packed, but I couldn't turn down some money to stay in town.

I need new sponsors.

I will do this bike adventure at the next nice weather window.

I'll let you know.

Strava has killed those Garmins in my crew. Even mountain biking (most of our rides are within cell range). Of course I got a low-end Garmin non-bike something-or-other right when this was apparent. It is my way.

J i m s t e r said:
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Ventoux

Man who sits behind me at work has done Ventoux. He's middle-aged and very plain, doesn't look like a pro racer but he said it wasn't too bad. He's not a very expressive kind of bloke, perfect programmer material, probably thought about chunking code on the way up, whereas I would be contemplating what Tommy Simpson felt (he was a notable Brit pro rider who died on the Ventoux stage of Le Tour in 1968, after collapsing and getting the crowd to put him back on his bike).

For more character-building Ventoux anecdotes, google Eros Poli.

Towards the end of the summer, when I'm in mountain bike shape, I scoff at road climbs. I swear: if I were only 140 pounds I'd change my name to something more Columbian and just smash follz left and right!

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    It just snowed like 20cm in Toronto yesterday. Itching to ride today.

Fuck you Winter.

That is all.

dukeofdelridge said:
    I'd change my name to something more Columbian

I have contemplated such a move myself, favouring "Tony Bananarama".

(It works better when you understand I will have this haircut:

)

So... I've invested almost as much in security as I have in bicycle. Please tell me this will keep me at peace whilst sipping my espresso and eating my organic brunch.

I figure, ulock through the rear wheel and frame. Chain on the front wheel and frame. Too much work to bother stealing, right?

I'm in Toronto, but I don't plan on leaving it out overnight. Oh bike gods please let Lucy be safe...

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    he cut the rack in that video. not much you can do about that.

Yeah the fancier the bike, the less I need a lock. If you got it, you either broke into my apartment or took it out from under me. I have a chunky lock for my city bike that keeps honest people honest, but I would not be surprised to walk out of the store and find it gone at any time, anywhere.

The post-MTB burger stop in the small town--there can be 50 grand of bike in the back of a couple trucks. Nerve wracking. Bikes are their own getaway vehicle, so you can take off pedals or turn the bars overnight or whatever...

My bikes live inside.

At work, one of these secures the two bikes I keep there:

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=73&CAT_ID=73&P_ID=128&btnProduct=More+Details

It weighs more than the bikes. No joke. It was about £200 but, to secure two bikes, it's not bad value.

Carbon manganese alloy steel enhanced with boron.

Once you have one of these, you start thinking like a thief; looking at how they would slice or dismantle the whole rack as it would be the easier option.

Yeah I just want to make sure I can confidently lock that baby up for an hour or two if I'm cruising around and decide to stop at a friends or get some food or something.

My shit don't have boron though. Damn.

Thoughts on this? http://lock8.myshopify.com

GPS Tracking, iPhone remote unlock, audible alarm, iPhone tamper alerts. For $250 though I better hear some reviews first lol...

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    HOLLAFAME said:

Start with the basic Rules and adapt as necessary: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

these are astoundingly lame & stupid. makes me embarrassed for all my fellow regular bike riders.

i thought they were hilarious, (and mostly right), but each to their own

BeatChemist said:

Bolt-cropped in seconds, gps will find it lying right next to the empty bike rack.

that seems like eBay--if everyone was cool, it'd be sick! I'd consider pimping a couple city bikes out for money.

My MTB fork died last week. Just seized up. Pretty old, and hasn't been rebuilt ever. I went into one of the weirdo mtb shops that will work on suspension and gave them a hundred bucks to see if I can nurse it along for another few months. I hope to avoid jumping into the 27.5 pool as long as possible, but it's looking like a fork will be my first part in that wheel size.

This is rad:

Fairdale R+D from Fairdale Bikes on Vimeo.

HOLLAFAME said:
    That video is absolutely bananers. Bunnyhopping over a tennis net = :face_melt:

Shitty news about Ashton, though...he suffered a pretty serious spine injury and may be partially paralyzed!

http://www.justgiving.com/martynashton

Dude seems mentally strong though.

Rode some mountain bikes in Hood River over the weekend. It is pretty scenic there:

My bike is just limping along. I hope to create a new mountain bike by the time this one disintegrates.

dukeofdelridge said:

Scenery-as-pr0n.

I would ride that from both directions with a smile on my face.

:ayo:

Amazing place. Just pay attention to the trail because there's poison oak everywhere!

BeatChemist said:
    Yeah I just want to make sure I can confidently lock that baby up for an hour or two if I'm cruising around and decide to stop at a friends or get some food or something.

GPS Tracking, iPhone remote unlock, audible alarm, iPhone tamper alerts. For $250 though I better hear some reviews first lol...

dude you should get this crazy thing:

Hahah and here I am thinking of selling my huge heavy ass Krypto New York for something lighter I can slip in my belt!!

I've been biking to work 2-3 times a week, mostly due to rain. I said fuck it and decided to ride up to meet a friend for dinner tonight, even though there was a chance of rain. I got caught and rode home in a downpour. It was awesome.

Bikes. Fuck yeah!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    BeatChemist said:

dude you should get this crazy thing:

Not sure that bike thieves even bother picking locks, do they? It's all smash and grab round here...

Back alley Lucy:

Playing with some Iphone mount videos:

I just sold my mountain bike.

Best CL transaction in years. Communication, financially acceptable for both parties, good guy, but I'm tripping. I have a headache and I'm shaking a little.

It's really weird.

Stay up.

:necessary: but

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    My grocery-getter. It's a symphony of squeaks and everyone hears me coming. I pulled it out of a dumpster about 8 years ago, put air in the tires, and have been riding it since.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    My Commuter. A Salsa Casseroll steel frame with 35c tires and 32 spoke wheels. The roads are pretty bad around here, and I can ride this like a mountain bike without worrying about the rims. I'm doing about 40 miles per week, nothing crazy, but I am getting out.

That Salsa is nice, good choice on tyres. You can't practically commute on TdF-spec rubber here either, unless you are commuting across a replica of the Hubble telescope mirror.

I sold my commuter last month, simply because I have run out of space. Between the 4 of us we have 8 bikes of differing sizes to accommodate. Garage is like Jenga/Tetris. Personally down to two, a Merida 29" hardtail which lives at work at the moment for rustic blats, and a Bontrager Privateer with rigid forks, which now wears the commuter hat.

A few pics from lunchtimes on the 29"... (urls from Instagram, so let me know if they don't show for you)

The business-end of the Bonty...

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Those pictures are inspiring and make me miss my old days of mountain biking. I still have the 1992 Stumpjumper I bought new when it came out. I rode that like crazy back in high school.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Loving that Salsa, CBear

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts