New Music / Release Thread

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts

Cwipes!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ^ YES ^

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Arnold Dreyblatt & Megafaun's Appalachian Excitation. It's got four pieces--one dirgey thing, one droney thing, one groove-based thing, and one thing that sounds like country Television--and apart from the hippie dishwater liner notes from the ubiquitous Jim O' Rourke, I'm liking it all. It really seems to be in touch with something, if you know what I mean. Maaaaan.

I also really like the Darkside Psychic record. It's become fashionable to drop late-period Talk Talk as a reference, but a lot of the records tagged thusly--Shearwater, These New Puritans, whoever--mostly miss Talk Talk's commitment to a particularly modern pulse; those groups get caught up in the hush and the space and the stately piano chords, and end up spending long stretches rattling dully in their chambered preciousness. I feel like Psychic is a much more successful, compelling, and truer extension of that sound.

Not real-real new, but I like what I've heard from the Eric Copeland record. Sounds kinda like Arca for people who don't go out, which is a pretty good fit for my lifestyle. I haven't heard the whole thing yet, though. I probably oughta do that.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Another by FKA twigs & Arca with an interesting video.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Tuomo: Keep Looking Up

The Special Request full length is very good. So is this

Duderonomy said:
    The Special Request full length is very good. So is this

Very nice. I like that 80s saudade. Someone needs to tell the one batmon to check out dude's "Boot Hill." He'll either love it, hate it, or think it's just okay.

I'm pulling for Ducktails' Wish Hotel EP. I don't know what it's like where you are, but it's fall here.

Hidden under leaves
    no one will see
    so you might as well
    stay there

It's easy to lie down
    invisible
    to the neighbors outside

Watch the lawn get mowed
    by the old man
    who lives across the street

Kids wearing tie-dye
    shirts bicycle
    to the school track meet

If you know, you know. For anyone who ever asked her if she couldn't maybe come down a day earlier.

Duderonomy said:

One of my favourite Mos Def beats, I really like this, and he even gets rid of the race politics :wow:

Finally released - some other guys did an inferior version (perhaps they too were frustrated at waiting for Falty DL's to drop) that came out last week and I guess that release may have forced his hand.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Duderonomy said:

One of my favourite Mos Def beats, I really like this, and he even gets rid of the race politics :wow:

Finally released - some other guys did an inferior version (perhaps they too were frustrated at waiting for Falty DL's to drop) that came out last week and I guess that release may have forced his hand.

What is wrong with man's forearm? Koi tatt or like, some cryptic MJ shit?

J i m s t e r said:
    Duderonomy said:

What is wrong with man's forearm? Koi tatt or like, some cryptic MJ shit?

The virtual cow has been incredibly successful, and it???s now being used by four of the seven veterinary colleges in the United Kingdom. Baillie was recently named ???Most Innovative Teacher of the Year??? in the U.K. by the 2009 Times Higher Education Awards, and the organization called her project ???possibly the most significant innovation in veterinary education in the past 50 years.???

But Baillie???s not yet content??? in addition to trying to commercialize her cow for use in the United States and Canada, she???s also working on a Haptic Horse and a Haptic Cat.

???It???s particularly good for cats,??? she said, ???as they have a certain limit to their tolerance.???

• Headnodic | Junk Drawer Vol 1
    250 Units on hand drawn purple swirl. Pick it up here before it sells out!

A few months old now, but I just got it in a small parcel, so it's new to me: The Samps' Macrochips And Microdips.

I was worried this was gonna be more of that post-Dilla, Flying Lotus-type glitched-out shittiness that wants so badly to sound like the future of something, but am pleasantly surprised to find out that this instead sounds like one of those good Saturdays you used to spend record shopping, where your vague sense of where all the music comes from and your vague sense of what you might end up doing with it later kinda braid together to make the present moment nice and crisp. You can't keep it, but man, it's nice to have.

Plenty of slabbed West Coasty fat-fat (big chunks of Slave, those "Bounce, Rock, Skate Roll" hits, et al.), but here and there shot through with melancholy and genuinely affecting melodic throbs that sound like what you think you might feel like when you find out that Christine McVie has died.

It is dead-dog November here in Chicago, and is shaping up to be one of those days where I don't take my shoes off until bedtime. This record is working on that nicely.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Woolford stays killin' it. This is some pure fuckin' evil blaze-up-an-entire-can-of-Elnett-in-the-dance shit.

DocMcCoy said:
    Woolford stays killin' it. This is some pure fuckin' evil blaze-up-an-entire-can-of-Elnett-in-the-dance shit.

He takes piano stabs from rave, the drum programming from jungle, and the atmospheric sounds from DnB to make a great sound. I think he could remix Jason Donovan right now and I'd like it.

• Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

He takes piano stabs from rave, the drum programming from jungle, and the atmospheric sounds from DnB to make a great sound. I think he could remix Jason Donovan right now and I'd like it.

whoa fucking nelly.

i love this now that my brain caught up to what is happening here

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

nice

vintageinfants said:
    Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:

whoa fucking nelly.

i love this now that my brain caught up to what is happening here

This one is still my favourite Woolford production:

and the 2 minute drum assault on this album track (2:50 onwards)

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Disclaimer:
    I am the posterchild for (are we still using that term).....but I was turned onto this recently and I think its a pretty good listen.

TVOTR vocals meets something?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

Never heard of them til now - liking everything on their SC page. Thank You!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This chick from New Zealand is only 16 years old, and apparently doing pretty well. It's pretty poppy, but catchy as hell and I really like it.

• Fans of William Tyler and his electric contemporaries should dig this Ep from Phil Cook (Megafaun member and Durham, NC local). It sounds quite nice on vinyl. Favorite track is DL's Holler, but this track is on youtube:

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Broke open the new Lord Echo LP "Curiosities" that I got in the mail, and it's excellent.

Nice confluence of sounds that I believe would be strut-approved.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    new Burial

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Four Tet hit 100,000 followers on Twitter last night and dropped a load of unreleased shit as a thank you. Some good stuff too - an 8-bit style Gravediggaz remix, a Truimvirat edit, a few long free-form bits, some things that sound like out-takes from Rounds, a couple of UK garridgey sounding bits, etc.

The links should still be active, but they're via Sendspace, so be careful which links you click on. Alternately, wait for someone to zip it all up on a safer host.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Four Tet hit 100,000 followers on Twitter last night and dropped a load of unreleased shit as a thank you. Some good stuff too - an 8-bit style Gravediggaz remix, a Truimvirat edit, a few long free-form bits, some things that sound like out-takes from Rounds, a couple of UK garridgey sounding bits, etc.

The links should still be active, but they're via Sendspace, so be careful which links you click on. Alternately, wait for someone to zip it all up on a safer host.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6ofkkouocb4xa2b/sendspace.zip

Grandfather said:
    DocMcCoy said:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6ofkkouocb4xa2b/sendspace.zip

Thanks!

• was gonna start a new topic on this guy because i think he deserves it. "Never Dreamed" and "Special" were probably two of my most played songs from last year. looking forward to seeing what Andrew Ashong has got for 2014

This guy is great at beats, not so amazing with melody. First minute of this is just roughness.

• phono13 said:
    Fans of William Tyler and his electric contemporaries should dig this Ep from Phil Cook (Megafaun member and Durham, NC local). It sounds quite nice on vinyl. Favorite track is DL's Holler, but this track is on youtube:

i really enjoy his stuff but there's still those moments that are literally PLEADING for vocals.

my giardino privato mente would love to hear him team up with ben nichols of lucero