Obamacare (Starts Oct 1)

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This has been showing up in my email.

Please go to the link at the end and sign the petition to designate the Republican Party as a Terrorist Organization
    for the constant economic warfare against the good ole US of A.

While hope of avoiding a government shutdown fizzles on Capitol Hill, critics of the GOP have taken to the White House's online petition platform to blast the Republican approach to what is expected to be the next congressional standoff over Obamacare and government spending.
    In a petition submitted to the White House's "We the People" platform over the weekend, J.D. of North Wales, Pa. offered a response to recent reports that House Republicans may not be willing to support an increase in the debt limit unless Democrats agree to a one-year delay of President Barack Obama's health care law, as well as other highly divisive demands.
    "Designate the Republican party a terrorist organization for repeatedly threatening the full faith & credit of the U.S.A. ... since repeatedly threatening to default on the full faith and credit of the United States over and over again every time you don't get what you want is essentially economic terrorism," the petition reads, forecasting what is likely to be a mid-October showdown./quote]

Simply put the American Dream is being able to own your own home and some day retire.

The I-learned-it-from-John-Wayne American Dream is to live completely free and independent from society and government, while never missing a televised football game.

• [TROLL] why has your country been flying around the world dropping bombs on mud huts in the name of freedom & democracy while simultaneously shitting all over it where you live? [/TROLL]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Simply put the American Dream is being able to own your own home and some day retire.

having a place/piece of land to call your own and not having to work one's fingers to the bone until you drop dead is a pretty universal goal.

bassie said:
    LaserWolf said:

having a place/piece of land to call your own and not having to work one's fingers to the bone until you drop dead is a pretty universal goal.

Yes. But when we dream it is special. Why? We are special.

• But so far, nothing I've read about the government shutdown has been nearly as gut-wrenching as this tidbit from The Wall Street Journal:

At the National Institutes of Health, nearly three-quarters of the staff was furloughed. One result: director Francis Collins said about 200 patients who otherwise would be admitted to the NIH Clinical Center into clinical trials each week will be turned away. This includes about 30 children, most of them cancer patients, he said.

House Republicans have failed to stop Obamacare from going into effect so far, but sadly and ironically, their actions have prevented hundreds of people from getting healthcare from just one clinic.

Time to end the shutdown.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/10/the-saddest-paragraph-youll-read-about-the-government-shutdown-today/280174/

Tea Party morons want kids dead. That is not an exaggeration.

I don't see the irony.
    The closing of the NHI clinics is exactly what the Rs wanted and there is nothing funny about it.

• LaserWolf said:
    I don't see the irony.
    The closing of the NHI clinics is exactly what the Rs wanted and there is nothing funny about it.

Being able to detect irony requires higher level intellectual abilities than you possess.

b/w

"Funny" is not a necessary component of irony.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    We have elected an ungovernable collection of snake-handlers, Bible-bangers, ignorami, bagmen and outright frauds, a collection so ungovernable that it insists the nation be ungovernable, too. We have elected people to govern us who do not believe in government.

We have elected a national legislature in which Louie Gohmert and Michele Bachmann have more power than does the Speaker of the House of Representatives, who has been made a piteous spectacle in the eyes of the country and doesn't seem to mind that at all. We have elected a national legislature in which the true power resides in a cabal of vandals, a nihilistic brigade that believes that its opposition to a bill directing millions of new customers to the nation's insurance companies is the equivalent of standing up the the Nazis in 1938, to the bravery of the passengers on Flight 93 on September 11, 2001, and to Mel Gibson's account of the Scottish Wars of Independence in the 13th Century. We have elected a national legislature that looks into the mirror and sees itself already cast in marble.

We did this. We looked at our great legacy of self-government and we handed ourselves over to the reign of morons.

This is what they came to Washington to do -- to break the government of the United States. It doesn't matter any more whether they're doing it out of pure crackpot ideology, or at the behest of the various sugar daddies that back their campaigns, or at the instigation of their party's mouthbreathing base. It may be any one of those reasons. It may be all of them. The government of the United States, in the first three words of its founding charter, belongs to all of us, and these people have broken it deliberately. The true hell of it, though, is that you could see this coming down through the years, all the way from Ronald Reagan's First Inaugural Address in which government "was" the problem, through Bill Clinton's ameliorative nonsense about the era of big government being "over," through the attempts to make a charlatan like Newt Gingrich into a scholar and an ambitious hack like Paul Ryan into a budget genius, and through all the endless attempts to find "common ground" and a "Third Way." Ultimately, as we all wrapped ourselves in good intentions, a prion disease was eating away at the country's higher functions. One of the ways you can acquire a prion disease is to eat right out of its skull the brains of an infected monkey. We are now seeing the country reeling and jabbering from the effects of the prion disease, but it was during the time of Reagan that the country ate the monkey brains.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/Shutdown_Blues

#webuiltthis

• [removed][removed]

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    With all this government shut down news. This made me laugh.

• DOR said:
    With all this government shut down news. This made me laugh.

You would think a monarch and one of the world's wealthiest women could afford a dress that didn't look like it came out of a Goodwill box.

• One of the rarest animals in America is a conservative who understands or appreciates the history of immigration to this country:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/10/01/dana_perino_translators_says_obamacare_should_be_english_only.html

Dana Perino is just another brainless Fox News blonde who knows nothing and likes it that way.

• vintageinfants said:
    i feel like the act of going to such great lengths to oust the potential for a state run health care system runs completely contrary to "the american dream ??".

to my knowledge, the basis of "the american dream ??" is ostensibly capitalist hedonism with a splash of white guilt where applicable. a single payer health care platform would only work to bolster this ethos.

if i was a guy who wanted to accumulate as much {x} as possible while feeling as {y} as possible while doing so, wouldn't some form of safety net to prevent me from losing it all in a freak occurrence be welcomed?

He ones that fail
    and as a canadian, this kind of decision DOES affect me. despite our country's loathe to say so, many if not all of the decisions made by the USA at a federal level have an immediate affect on the way WE as a country run. our countries are inextricably linked, and despite your power in numbers, you've been kinda holding us back the last decade.

In what ways have we been holding you back? Maybe you mean the recent demise of Blackberry, yeah, that was our fault. You couldn't compete. In capitalism the market adjusts to the demand of the consumers.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Noble as the governing principles behind it are, the US Constitution can often be a very convincing argument in favour of the UK's piecemeal, duct-tape-and-string Heath Robinson job. We Brits may or may not like the government of the day but at least it doesn't have to justify everything it does according to what somebody thought in 1787.

• Soul Zilla said:

In what ways have we been holding you back? Maybe you mean the recent demise of Blackberry, yeah, that was our fault. You couldn't compete. In capitalism the market adjusts to the demand of the consumers.

did a lightbulb not go off when you wrote that last sentence? because of it's inability to adjust to the demand of the consumer, an already floundering tech firm folded. because of it's inability to adjust to the demand of the consumer, the entire US government has been shut down. both of these happened in front of the whole world btw.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Noble as the governing principles behind it are, the US Constitution can often be a very convincing argument in favour of the UK's piecemeal, duct-tape-and-string Heath Robinson job. We Brits may or may not like the government of the day but at least it doesn't have to justify everything it does according to what somebody thought in 1787.

Wow, that shows a spectacular ignorance of the way things actually work here. Tally ho.

• bassie said:
    LaserWolf said:

It's the American Dream, not the Americans' Dream. It is a universal desire and so many people have come here for so many years because they believed they have a better chance accomplishing it here than in their own nations. Whether or not that is true is a whole other topic, but we're talking about dreams here.

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Stealing is some how more acceptable now then it was then?

And you are right, the Brits don't have to justify what someone thought in 1787...
    They have to justify what somebody thought in 1077.

LazarusOblong said:
    One of the rarest animals in America is a conservative who understands or appreciates the history of immigration to this country:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/10/01/dana_perino_translators_says_obamacare_should_be_english_only.html

Dana Perino is just another brainless Fox News blonde who knows nothing and likes it that way.

Good grief, she's dumb.

JustAlice said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Stealing is some how more acceptable now then it was then?

And you are right, the Brits don't have to justify what someone thought in 1787...
    They have to justify what somebody thought in 1077.

The Magna Carta is not the controlling document of present day British government.

Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    bassie said:
    LaserWolf said:

It's the American Dream, not the Americans' Dream. It is a universal desire and so many people have come here for so many years because they believed they have a better chance accomplishing it here than in their own nations.

Yup, same way they have come to Canada or any other of the hundreds of countries in the world which are destinations for immigrants seeking a better life for themselves and/or their children.

I am in a humourless nit-picky mood as I have spent the past hour reading about the "conscience clause" amendment.

Call it what you want, you guys can keep your nightmare.

• bassie said:

I am in a humourless nit-picky mood

you've come to the right place.

It's true

bassie
    Total Posts: 11176
    Joined Feb '04

• bassie said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    bassie said:
    LaserWolf said:

It's the American Dream, not the Americans' Dream. It is a universal desire and so many people have come here for so many years because they believed they have a better chance accomplishing it here than in their own nations.

Yup, same way they have come to Canada or any other of the hundreds of countries in the world which are destinations for immigrants seeking a better life for themselves and/or their children.

I am in a humourless nit-picky mood as I have spent the past hour reading about the "conscience clause" amendment.

Call it what you want, you guys can keep your nightmare.

I like my own state but I could not possibly live in many places in this country without going crazy. The rumpswab neo-Confederates are getting worse, not better. Any chance Canada could add a new province called "New England"?

• we're actually talking about building a wall.

• vintageinfants said:
    we're actually talking about building a wall.

I hope you'll still let the occasional actor through.

• When they come to write the book on late-era SoulStrut, I will skip straight ahead to the chapter on the insightful comedy of Vintage Infants.

Edit: Not joking, this was intended entirely meant as a compliment.