bassie said:

I am in a humourless nit-picky mood

you've come to the right place.]

Haha! Totally.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    JustAlice said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Noble as the governing principles behind it are, the US Constitution can often be a very convincing argument in favour of the UK's piecemeal, duct-tape-and-string Heath Robinson job. We Brits may or may not like the government of the day but at least it doesn't have to justify everything it does according to what somebody thought in 1787.

Stealing is some how more acceptable now then it was then?

And you are right, the Brits don't have to justify what someone thought in 1787...
    They have to justify what somebody thought in 1077.

The Magna Carta is not the controlling document of present day British government.

What is the controlling document of present day UK?
    Some kind perverted version of its former self as is the case with the US Constitution?
    And that whole Monarchy thing...That is justifiable right?
    Just like stealing.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    What on earth are you talking about stealing for?

UK has no written constitution, something most outside can't understand.
    It's all about precedent and tradition.
    We vote in a govt, let them get on with it, and any time they do something we vehemently disagree with, we riot. And the monarch does have a veto over parliamentary affairs, but best believe there would be a heap of trouble if she used it.

It's ludicrous that some centuries old document can't be nay-sayed. In fact the only difference between that and strict adherence to the Koran (for example) is the number of intervening years.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    And the very handle 'affordable healthcare' implies the current, opposite version.
    It can't have escaped your attention that costs of similar medical procedures in US versus other developed nations is significantly higher. Because the spousal needs of health company execs liposuction n country club memberships gotta be paid for somehow, right?
    That's the stealing right there.
    My employer pays for private medical cover, and I have used it. It's better than the National Health Service for sure, but like the other Brits and Canadians here I pay for our version too.
    Sure, I pay in way more than I take out. And there are many more who pay in little and take out tons. But I'm real glad for the fact that, no matter what my kids' financial state in the future, they can get treated without bankrupting them. It's one of many marks of a civilised society.
    I hope you all manage to get on board and make it work.

• without having to wade through the 7 previous pages to sift them out, are there strutters on this board who are vehemently against health care reform? or is the just the usual arguing contest?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I don't think anyone is against health care reform but there are certainly disagreements on what the goals of reform are and what are effective methods of accomplishing those goals.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    skel said:

It's ludicrous that some centuries old precedent and tradition can't be nay-sayed. In fact the only difference between that and strict adherence to the Koran (for example) is... well... nothing.

vintageinfants said:
    without having to wade through the 7 previous pages to sift them out, are there strutters on this board who are vehemently against health care reform? or is the just the usual arguing contest?

If you skip all of LM&J and BV and my posts, you get one page of Guzzo asking what he needs to do to start getting coverage under the ACA, and a few responses.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    But a few good answers. Paren's seemed very helpful.

• http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/obamacare-working-even-republicans

Once this all shakes out the morons who tried to prevent this Act from taking effect are going to look like the delusional and evil motherfuckers that they are.

• rootlesscosmo said:

If she'd kicked him in the balls who could blame her?

b/w

Imagine my deep shock at where the douchebucket's district is.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Wow what? That the Honor Flight veterans ignored that silly stooge, pushed through the barricades, and visited the memorial as they had planned?

Park Rangers were threatening arrest...which was ludicrous and bogus. So yeah, that lady should be ashamed.

"Just doing my job" isn't good enough an excuse for blatant bullshit anymore. Sorry.

• HarveyCanal said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Wow what? That the Honor Flight veterans ignored that silly stooge, pushed through the barricades, and visited the memorial as they had planned?

Park Rangers were threatening arrest...which was ludicrous and bogus. So yeah, that lady should be ashamed.

"Just doing my job" isn't good enough an excuse for blatant bullshit anymore. Sorry.

Do we have to walk you through this? I'm not sure you really got it.

- This monument is operated by the federal gov't.
    - The Republicans shut down the federal gov't., including this monument.
    - A Republican shitbag then berates a federal employee of said monument for not keeping it open.

Any more color I can add for you?

• HarveyCanal said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

What's bullshit is you ignoring the FACT that the Ranger was there SPECIFICALLY to help the Honor Flight veterans get access to the memorial.

Of course facts mean absolutely nothing to you Alex Jones-loving RWNJs.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Congressman-Confronts-Park-Ranger-Over-Closed-WWII-Memorial-226209781.html

The Park Service has been allowing World War II vets who have traveled from all over the country to enter the memorial, even though it's closed during the government shutdown; the rangers say they are exercising their First Amendment rights as they let the veterans in.

But they are keeping the rest of the public out of the facility, which is officially closed. And that did not sit well with the congressman, reported News4's Mark Segraves, who witnessed the confrontation.

The Republicans are depending on the stupidity of the uninformed to carry off this shabby bit of political theater, Harvey, and you're the type they can always count on.

• rootlesscosmo said:

- A Republican shitbag then berates a federal employee of said monument for not keeping it open.

He's not just ANY Republican shitbag. He's an especially accomplished one.

According to a 2011 survey by the National Journal, Neugebauer is "the most conservative" member of the House.

Just an ulcerated colon of a human being.

rootlesscosmo said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Do we have to walk you through this? I'm not sure you really got it.

- This monument is operated by the federal gov't.
    - The Republicans shut down the federal gov't., including this monument.

Any more color I can add for you?

One, that was hardly a berating, especially not one to leave you shocked.

Two, the Republicans may have forced the shutdown but many are now saying that it was Obama himself who directly ordered barricades and Park Rangers to guard monument areas that even despite the government shutdown could very well stay open as the public places that don't normally have guards like that to begin with.

Three, those Honor Flight vets had people raise money for them to fly from far off places to visit their own memorial. What kind of loser could possibly tell them "no, you can't come in. And I'm not sorry, I'm just doing my job"? Eff that POS.

Four, any of you not looking at this issue as yet another collective Republican-Democrat shitstorm and are instead trying to pick one side or the other as the hero/villain are missing the boat completely.

Five, let's keep this bullshit government shut down indefinitely.

• HarveyCanal said:
    What kind of loser could possibly tell them "no, you can't come in. And I'm not sorry, I'm just doing my job"? Eff that POS.

the kind of loser who wants to keep her job.

you think this gov't shutdown was just a suggestion or something?

federal facilities were ORDERED closed; federal employees ORDERED to stay home.

that's what the GOP did.

This teabagger wanted to stage a disingenuous photo op with octogenarian veterans as stage props; he chose to do so at a monument he himself had helped shut down; he then yelled at the hapless park ranger who had been ORDERED BY HIM to keep it closed.

I love that you're even trying to defend this shit.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Two, the Republicans may have forced the shutdown but many are now saying that it was Obama himself who directly ordered barricades and Park Rangers to guard monument areas that even despite the government shutdown could very well stay open as the public places that don't normally have guards like that to begin with.

"Many are now saying"?

Jesus, this clown could not possibly be more of a living, breathing parody.

Anyone who thinks Obama "directly ordered" any of this is so far below average intelligence/rationality that it is a fucking wonder they don't drown in the damned shower.

So again, the Repubs order a shut down. But somehow these Park Rangers who don't normally work at the World War II Memorial are there standing in front of barricades telling people they can't get in. Since nobody named Obama or otherwise ordered this, they must have done it on their own...right?

Initial reports were the Honor Flight vets were denied access so they knocked down the barricades and went in anyway. Yet now the spin is that someone named Nobody ordered the Park Rangers to put up barricades just so Honor Flight vets could get in but nobody else. But then the next day they started turning vets away like everyone else.

To hell with all of these idiots, Republicans and Democrats alike. If y'all are going to stand here with straight faces championing Democrats who have passed as much bullshit legislation and granted cowardly support to any overt/covert war their leadership has led them into just because they are standing behind what could very well also be horrible legislation in ACA, y'all are the gullible ones for sure.

• StupidCanal said:
    So again, the Repubs order a shut down. But somehow these Park Rangers who don't normally work at the World War II Memorial are there standing in front of barricades telling people they can't get in. Since nobody named Obama or otherwise ordered this, they must have done it on their own...right?

Dear Stupid Person: Federal monuments/facilities all over the country are closed as a result of the shutdown. It's been in the news and everything. Your intense hatred of the black guy in the White House just leads you, as always, to a stupid conclusion because those are the kinds of conclusions stupid people tend to arrive at.

That Park Ranger was doing her job. Naturally she was told what to do, but trust me, stupid person, Obama didn't order it, directly or no. Just as Ray Kroc didn't personally order that human snot to be placed on your first Big Mac. We clear here, stupid person?

And your conclusion that Rep. Turdbucket wasn't "berating" that Ranger reveals you to be the sad bully of the day. If a prick got in your face like that you'd probably shoot him and plead a Zimmerman.

BAN this fool everyday until he finally gives up, please.

• HarveyCanal said:
    BAN this fool everyday until he finally gives up, please.

A simple, "Okay, maybe I was wrong," would have sufficed.

b/w

There is no significant difference between you and this guy:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/10/03/foxs-varney-on-furloughed-federal-employees-i-w/196261

I grew up in DC.
    We used to skip school and go down to the Mall to hang out. (Not a shopping center, a pedestrian blvd with museums and monuments.)
    Even in the 70s, when security levels were comparatively low, there was a large presence of park rangers, park police, DC police and other members of the federal government who worked to keep the Mall and it's attractions open to tourists.

Because of the Fed shut down, the presence of these people on the Mall has been reduced to the minimum needed to keep it closed.

Perhaps Obama could choose to furlough air traffic controllers, closing airports and keep the monuments open.
    Or furlough boarder patrol agents, opening both the border and the monuments.
    Or any number of other not so good choices.
    But the above are considered 'essential' and monuments are considered 'nonessential'. Deal.

Cosign on banning that fool everyday.

• LaserWolf said:
    Cosign on banning that fool everyday.

I see your new career as a headline writer is off to a great start:

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/cumming-man-has-close-encounter-3-bears/nZ29n/

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    [

The Republicans are depending on the stupidity of the uninformed to carry off this shabby bit of political theater, Harvey, and you're the type they can always count on.

Harvey is their go-to.

Doble.

[

Two, the Republicans may have forced the shutdown but many are now saying that it was Obama himself who directly ordered barricades and Park Rangers to guard monument areas that even despite the government shutdown could very well stay open as the public places that don't normally have guards like that to begin with. .

Bullshit. There is security for all the monuments, when they are open or closed. You know, to prevent vandalism. Who am I kidding? Of course you don't know that.

You'd be fine with WWII memorial being shit on, right?

Double.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm sorry I ever started this thread.