Obamacare (Starts Oct 1)

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    JustAlice said:

And just to keep in line with this thread, Fuck Obamacare. Compulsory anything is wicked.

That include school/education for children?

• Duderonomy said:
    JustAlice said:

And just to keep in line with this thread, Fuck Obamacare. Compulsory anything is wicked.

Yes and seatbelt laws too.

• JustAlice said:
    Duderonomy said:
    JustAlice said:

How about vaccinations for schoolchildren?

The road to crackpottery is wide, so try to stay off of it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DOR said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    Where are the Canadian Strutteurs in this conversation? I heard you guys have single payer health care?

Not much to say. I love our system. It's not perfect (No system is) and can always be better. But no way would I want to switch with the system American has right at this moment. I have zero issue paying my taxes and knowing that not only is it there for me, my family and friends. But all Canadians.

Yes. Could not have said it better.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    bassie said:
    DOR said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    Where are the Canadian Strutteurs in this conversation? I heard you guys have single payer health care?

Not much to say. I love our system. It's not perfect (No system is) and can always be better. But no way would I want to switch with the system American has right at this moment. I have zero issue paying my taxes and knowing that not only is it there for me, my family and friends. But all Canadians.

Yes. Could not have said it better.

Hey DOR and Bassie,

It's apparent that your country places the well-being of the people in front of politics. We in the US have a lot to learn.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Again and again, chemotherapy and extracting tissue aren't real treatment. They don't even address the source of the cancer. Such methods have prolonged the life of many, yes. But they've also driven far too many into greater pains/inconveniences and closer to death. Of course, eating an alkaline diet is a preventative measure rather than a reactionary one after the fact. And I do currently know an older man who has fairly advanced cancer in his body who has forgone chemotherapy for daily full-body applications of hash oil and it's literally doing wonders for him, miraculously allowing him to continue playing as drummer at his weekly gig. The overall point being, traditional Western medicine techniques aren't for everyone and thus not all of us need to automatically be financing them for society at large.

soulmarcosa said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Doctors won't tell us something simple such as cancer can't live in an alkaline environment.

Probably because you can't change the acidity of your body without getting sick or dying.

Yes, the stomach is a magic bag where no matter what you put in it, it has the exact same effect. That's what your oversimplified, one-guy debunking of something that should be common sense for everyone is basically saying.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Again and again, chemotherapy and extracting tissue aren't real treatment. They don't even address the source of the cancer. Such methods have prolonged the life of many, yes. But they've also driven far too many into greater pains/inconveniences and closer to death. Of course, eating an alkaline diet is a preventative measure rather than a reactionary one after the fact. And I do currently know an older man who has fairly advanced cancer in his body who has forgone chemotherapy for daily full-body applications of hash oil and it's literally doing wonders for him, miraculously allowing him to continue playing as drummer at his weekly gig. The overall point being, traditional Western medicine techniques aren't for everyone and thus not all of us need to automatically be financing them for society at large.

Cancer is essentially an old age disease meaning we are living long enough these days to actually realize it. That is not to say that young people don't get cancer, my mom is only 58 and while that isn't exactly young, she knew 15 years ago that she was susceptible to it and didn't get proper screening and follow up to the original diagnosis. We are finding it earlier and earlier which means survival rates are going up not down. Chemo wasn't even an option for her but radiation and corrective spine surgery for the bone cancer was and she ignored it. I do recognize that healthy choices and diet are essential to living well but too much of anything is not good and that includes copious amounts of hash oil. Sure, my mom was "happy" and able to do some of her normal activities while taking the oil, I am not denying the benefits of medical marijuana, but there is a much to be said against self medicating and denial of objective truth.

I am telling you- hash oil does not stop cancer from progressing. I wish I could say there is no harm in thinking natural "cures" are doing something metabolically but unfortunately it can do a great amount of damage in the long run if the patient can't find a balance between what you describe as western medicine and what ever the alternative is. Anyhow, I hope your friend continues to do well.

My sister, who is young, has/had breast cancer and she went through chemo and extractions...and she survived, thank God, because it could've been much worse. But having gone through it, even with the success she found, she advises people against said treatments in any possible way they can be avoided.

Yes, there is a balance to be found there. I never thought hash oil could actually cure cancer. But it doesn't cause the extra complications of Western maedicine practices...and once again my whole point is that we shouldn't be forced to put all of our eggs/funding in the Western medicine basket.

• HarveyCanal said:
    My sister, who is young, has/had breast cancer and she went through chemo and extractions...and she survived, thank God, because it could've been much worse. But having gone through it, even with the success she found, she advises people against said treatments in any possible way they can be avoided.

"Die as I say, not as I do."

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    JustAlice said:
    Duderonomy said:
    JustAlice said:

What, against a law compelling a parent to put the seatbelt on a year old kid?
    And compulsory safe storage of firearms where children live?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Not trying to box anyone in here, but come on now

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Yes, the stomach is a magic bag where no matter what you put in it, it has the exact same effect. That's what your oversimplified, one-guy debunking of something that should be common sense for everyone is basically saying.

Here are the qualifications of this "one-guy": Dr. Mirkin, who practices medicine in Kensington, Maryland, is board-certified in four specialties: allergy and immunology; sports medicine; pediatrics; and pediatric immunology. He has served as a teaching fellow at Johns Hopkins Medical School, Assistant Professor at the University of Maryland, and Associate Clinical Professor in Pediatrics at the Georgetown University School of Medicine. He has written 16 books on sportsmedicine, weight control, and low-fat eating. His Web site offers broadcasts and reports on thousands of topics. He also offers a free weekly e-mail newsletter.

On one hand we have Dr. Mirkin and his experience in the medical field.

On the other, we have Harvey and his knowledge of DJ Screw.. Hmmmm....I wonder who we should listen to on this issue?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I"M SO READY FOR THIS. This Obamacare might be exactly what I need to fill the gaping hole in my soul left by my father not hugging me enough. I think I'm just going to call Obama "dad" going forward.

• DB_Cooper said:
    I"M SO READY FOR THIS. This Obamacare might be exactly what I need to fill the gaping hole in my soul left by my father not hugging me enough. I think I'm just going to call Obama "dad" going forward.

If Obama had a son, would he look like you?

LazarusOblong said:
    DB_Cooper said:

If Obama had a son, would he look like you?

If by "like me" you mean "gloriously bemaned", then yes.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    skel said:
    JustAlice said:
    Duderonomy said:
    JustAlice said:

I am not against safeguarding children. I am pretty sure it is already illegal to hurt or endanger another human. Do we really need to double down on already existing laws that make illegal activity EXTRA illegal?

JustAlice said:
    skel said:
    JustAlice said:
    Duderonomy said:
    JustAlice said:

I am not against safeguarding children. I am pretty sure it is already illegal to hurt or endanger another human. Do we really need to double down on already existing laws that make illegal activity EXTRA illegal?

Hells yeah. That's like, the double-dog dare of lawmaking.

• JustAlice said:
    skel said:
    JustAlice said:
    Duderonomy said:
    JustAlice said:

Hells yeah. That's like, the double-dog dare of lawmaking.
    Obamacare is getting frighteningly close to TRIPLE-DOG-DARE territory (the most sinister of dare protocols)

Grandfather said:
    Obamacare is getting frighteningly close to TRIPLE-DOG-DARE territory (the most sinister of dare protocols)

AKA The Nuclear Option

• Where The Nutbuckets Live:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Watching from the outside, this is all very mindblowing interesting. The Bill passed. The President signed it (He also ran on it and won) and the Supreme Court upheld it. Can someone explain what else needs to be done?

If this was the other way around on a different issue, Republicans would slam dunk this and it would be over.

DOR said:
    Watching from the outside, this is all very mindblowing interesting. The Bill passed. The President signed it (He also ran on it and won) and the Supreme Court upheld it. Can someone explain what else needs to be done?

If this was the other way around on a different issue, Republicans would slam dunk this and it would be over.

Simply put, the Republicans are refusing to approve the federal budget unless funding for Obamacare is removed from it. They're trying to take their ball and go home, and the rest of us can all go fuck ourselves as far as they're concerned.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Whoever came up with this should be commended for creating a graphic that captures almost every aspect of this fiasco.

• But, but, but, both sides do it.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    DOR said:
    Can someone explain what else needs to be done?

Obama needs to not be black

Here's the website for still funded Obamacare.

https://www.healthcare.gov/

Today is a great day for health insurance equality.

• We have elected an ungovernable collection of snake-handlers, Bible-bangers, ignorami, bagmen and outright frauds, a collection so ungovernable that it insists the nation be ungovernable, too. We have elected people to govern us who do not believe in government.

We have elected a national legislature in which Louie Gohmert and Michele Bachmann have more power than does the Speaker of the House of Representatives, who has been made a piteous spectacle in the eyes of the country and doesn't seem to mind that at all. We have elected a national legislature in which the true power resides in a cabal of vandals, a nihilistic brigade that believes that its opposition to a bill directing millions of new customers to the nation's insurance companies is the equivalent of standing up the the Nazis in 1938, to the bravery of the passengers on Flight 93 on September 11, 2001, and to Mel Gibson's account of the Scottish Wars of Independence in the 13th Century. We have elected a national legislature that looks into the mirror and sees itself already cast in marble.

We did this. We looked at our great legacy of self-government and we handed ourselves over to the reign of morons.

This is what they came to Washington to do -- to break the government of the United States. It doesn't matter any more whether they're doing it out of pure crackpot ideology, or at the behest of the various sugar daddies that back their campaigns, or at the instigation of their party's mouthbreathing base. It may be any one of those reasons. It may be all of them. The government of the United States, in the first three words of its founding charter, belongs to all of us, and these people have broken it deliberately. The true hell of it, though, is that you could see this coming down through the years, all the way from Ronald Reagan's First Inaugural Address in which government "was" the problem, through Bill Clinton's ameliorative nonsense about the era of big government being "over," through the attempts to make a charlatan like Newt Gingrich into a scholar and an ambitious hack like Paul Ryan into a budget genius, and through all the endless attempts to find "common ground" and a "Third Way." Ultimately, as we all wrapped ourselves in good intentions, a prion disease was eating away at the country's higher functions. One of the ways you can acquire a prion disease is to eat right out of its skull the brains of an infected monkey. We are now seeing the country reeling and jabbering from the effects of the prion disease, but it was during the time of Reagan that the country ate the monkey brains.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/Shutdown_Blues

• i feel like the act of going to such great lengths to oust the potential for a state run health care system runs completely contrary to "the american dream ??".

to my knowledge, the basis of "the american dream ??" is ostensibly capitalist hedonism with a splash of white guilt where applicable. a single payer health care platform would only work to bolster this ethos.

if i was a guy who wanted to accumulate as much {x} as possible while feeling as {y} as possible while doing so, wouldn't some form of safety net to prevent me from losing it all in a freak occurrence be welcomed?

and as a canadian, this kind of decision DOES affect me. despite our country's loathe to say so, many if not all of the decisions made by the USA at a federal level have an immediate affect on the way WE as a country run. our countries are inextricably linked, and despite your power in numbers, you've been kinda holding us back the last decade.

• DB_Cooper said:
    Grandfather said:

AKA The Nuclear Option