Obamacare (Starts Oct 1)

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Same "people" caught staging shootings, bombings, and chemical attacks want to give you a fair shot at health care.

TROLL.SHARK.BITE.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Same "people" caught staging shootings, bombings, and chemical attacks want to give you a fair shot at health care.

You forgot they also have a tornado machine.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

The rules, regulations and laws around ObamaCare will change over the years, just as they have for Social Security and Medicare.
    It is conceivable that in the future, when only the most reactionary anti-social Americans don't have healthy insurance, penalties for being uninsured may increase.

It's already set to increase over time, but only from a financial standpoint.

The idea that it will morph into a federal crime is absurd, though.

Two houses of Congress, a President, and a Supreme Court would all have to countenance what effectively would be a federal debtor's prison, which have already been barred by federal law.

Not going to happen.

HarveyCanal said:

TROLL.SHARK.BITE.

The Syrians want to give us health insurance?

Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:

TROLL.SHARK.BITE.

The Syrians want to give us health insurance?

Syria aside, how is dropping hundreds of tons of depleted uranium on Iraq not considered a chemical attack?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:

Two houses of Congress, a President, and a Supreme Court would all have to countenance what effectively would be a federal debtor's prison, which have already been barred by federal law.

Your lack of understanding of history and law is... not surprising.

When, and if, penalties for not carrying insurance are increased it will have nothing to do with debt.
    It will be about avoiding a required payment.
    Same as avoiding paying taxes or social security.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    If anyone thinks that the penalty fee won't go up after the Affordable part in the act's name doesn't exactly pan out (yeah brah insurance and medical bros really have an incentive to reduce costs now that they have an even larger sticky customer base) then they're completely delusional.

[

A required payment is called a debt, moron.

debt
    /det/
    noun
    noun: debt;???plural noun: debts
    something, typically money, that is owed or due.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    LMJ, are you really labeling 18-25 year olds who have much lower medical needs than others, have a MUCH higher unemployment rate, and therefore might decide that they have better things to do with their money than subsidize healthcare for others while receiving nothing in return, "anti-social"?

• PatrickCrazy said:
    LMJ, are you really labeling 18-25 year olds who have much lower medical needs than others, have a MUCH higher unemployment rate, and therefore might decide that they have better things to do with their money than subsidize healthcare for others while receiving nothing in return, "anti-social"?

Most of those people can be covered under their parents insurance, Crazy. It's one of the more popular features of the law.

I'm sure lots of those juniors would rather not pay auto insurance, either.

If they're unemployed or underemployed they can actually get free coverage, anyway, so what exactly is your/their complaint again?

Not that I expect a serious answer from you, since that would be a first.

PatrickCrazy said:

How would they be recieving nothing in return?

18-25 year olds get sick, sometimes terminally or chronically, they get pregnant (at least females do), they get injured. etc.

Also, with health insurance, you get perks, like the flu shot I got yesterday that cost me no additional money.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    [

debt
    /det/
    noun

Excellent.
    I guess we are just a couple of morons who are in agreement that there will be, and in fact already are, debtors prisons.

[

debt
    /det/
    noun

Excellent.
    I guess we are just a couple of morons who are in agreement that there will be, and in fact already are, debtors prisons.

But there aren't. What we have here is one moron that thinks people go to jail because they can't pay their taxes. That's you.

PatrickCrazy said:

I believe it was LazerWolf that called those not getting insurance in the future as anti-social.

This dude got a flu shot...smh.

• HarveyCanal said:

What, you feel left out?

Don't.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/06/30/mental-health-care-benefits-under-affordable-care-act-obamacare/41052.html

HarveyCanal said:

Yep, and now I can hear all the little voices in my head a lot clearer, thank you very much.

• [

debt
    /det/
    noun

Excellent.

But there aren't. What we have here is one moron that thinks people go to jail because they can't pay their taxes. That's you.

They do, of course, but not over the piddling amount of money the Act assesses in fines.

• Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Yep, and now I can hear all the little voices in my head a lot clearer, thank you very much.

Do they sound like Jenny McCarthy?

LazarusOblong said:

They do, of course, but not over the piddling amount of money the Act assesses in fines.

Not because you can't pay. There has to be more to incarcerate, like filing a false return (fraud), i.e. tax evasion.

Not paying because you simply can not pay from a financial standpoint will result in a fine, which the person probably can't pay, and their wages will be garnished, presuming they have a job.

Certainly not over the small amount involved here. But hey, LaserWolf is the tax law guru of the Strut. I'm sure he can cite the provision of the tax code that states that inability to pay results in incarceration.

Right?

• Where are the Canadian Strutteurs in this conversation? I heard you guys have single payer health care?

LazarusOblong said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Do they sound like Jenny McCarthy?

No, like Alex Jones.

• Bon Vivant said:
    Certainly not over the small amount involved here. But hey, LaserWolf is the tax law guru of the Strut. I'm sure he can cite the provision of the tax code that states that inability to pay results in incarceration.

Right?

You know how it goes. The sister of the guy who cuts his hair knew a guy who knew a guy that went to jail in the 90s because...

• HarveyCanal said:
    Doctors won't tell us something simple such as cancer can't live in an alkaline environment.

Probably because you can't change the acidity of your body without getting sick or dying.

• soulmarcosa said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Doctors won't tell us something simple such as cancer can't live in an alkaline environment.

Probably because you can't change the acidity of your body without getting sick or dying.

More high-falutin' book larnin'! Careful, you'll be called a Yankee next...

• canada has had very well-functioning health care for decades on decades....

... mind you, im currently posting this from jail with a gangrenous arm and $4mil of debtz

• we've also got all our oil rigs headed underground to your side of the border, straight drinkin' yo' milkshake.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Where are the Canadian Strutteurs in this conversation? I heard you guys have single payer health care?

Not much to say. I love our system. It's not perfect (No system is) and can always be better. But no way would I want to switch with the system American has right at this moment. I have zero issue paying my taxes and knowing that not only is it there for me, my family and friends. But all Canadians.

My best friend has been fighting Cancer on and off for 7 years now. In that time he's got married, had 2 kids and just moved into his new home that he and his wife bought. The whole time not stressing about money and going bankrupt from medical bills. Compared to when I lived in Arizona and my 28 year old co-workers went bankrupt and then died from her cancer. And I'm pretty sure they went after her family for some $$$ after she passed. Tho, I might be mistaken on that because it was told to me from another co-worker, and not first hand from the family.

• DOR said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    Where are the Canadian Strutteurs in this conversation? I heard you guys have single payer health care?

Not much to say. I love our system. It's not perfect (No system is) and can always be better. But no way would I want to switch with the system American has right at this moment. I have zero issue paying my taxes and knowing that not only is it there for me, my family and friends. But all Canadians.

My best friend has been fighting Cancer on and off for 7 years now. In that time he's got married, had 2 kids and just moved into his new home that he and his wife bought. The whole time not stressing about money and going bankrupt from medical bills. Compared to when I lived in Arizona and my 28 year old co-workers went bankrupt and then died from her cancer. And I'm pretty sure they went after her family for some $$$ after she passed. Tho, I might be mistaken on that because it was told to me from another co-worker, and not first hand from the family.

You're probably not mistaken.

The US has a problem with a dumb rump which is mostly concentrated in the usual suspect states. The rest of us are trying to drag the country into (at least) the 20th century, let alone the 21st, but huge hordes of unlettered goobers think there's something romantic about letting people die due to a lack of health care.

This pisses off those of us who are not malignant sphincters, but so it goes. You live in a more sane society than we do and I envy you for it.

• soulmarcosa said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Thank You!

Seriously, I had a hard time reading anything else in this thread after Harvey posted this.

I can tell you from personal experience i.e. the last year of my life that watching a parent or family member slowly die from cancer is one of the worst things to go through. I can also tell you that it is only exacerbated by a parent or person thinking that snake oil is going to make it all go away. Please see: Alkaline, Gerson, Rick Simpson - fucking nonsense. My mom has been avoiding reality for well over a year and she ended up nearly paralyzed and needing emergency surgery in August to correct what they had suggested she do back in Nov. of 2012. After all that ...she is still dying. I personally believe in science and actual evidence not crack pot conspiracies for which I have nothing tangible to draw from ( the internet doesn't count ) This the last year I can draw from- and I am telling you now all the alkaline - juicing - weed crap is just gumdrops and lollipops.

I mean no offense Harvey, but please if you don't have some personal magical mystery tour to tell us about then save it because sadly cancer effects far too many people to have false hope literally getting in the way of real treatment and avoidable pain and suffering.

And just to keep in line with this thread, Fuck Obamacare. Compulsory anything is wicked.