syria

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Ah, so Kerry is furious,furious that he's got egg on his face and now wants revenge.

Excellent ulterior motive behind the ugly noise dude is making.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    im done with all of this constantly reframing or coming up with completely new questions in order to claim INTERNET VICTORY
    skel and I both quoted a single statement, you asked what we meant, and I have answered several times.
    You win, you're the king of the internet, congrats.

Wow, need a tissue?
    Nah but thanks for the reminder to not waste time with you.

You just can't help yourself, though.

I asked why, who and how we are being lied to about this, and you can't answer, can't even attempt an answer.

Hilarious.

skel said:
    Ah, so Kerry is furious,furious that he's got egg on his face and now wants revenge.

Yes! The dead and injured from chemical weapons are just pawns in Kerry's face saving game.

Good grief.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    im done with all of this constantly reframing or coming up with completely new questions in order to claim INTERNET VICTORY
    skel and I both quoted a single statement, you asked what we meant, and I have answered several times.
    You win, you're the king of the internet, congrats.

Wow, need a tissue?
    Nah but thanks for the reminder to not waste time with you.

You just can't help yourself, though.

I asked why, who and how we are being lied to about this, and you can't answer, can't even attempt an answer.

Hilarious.
    k

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    skel said:

Yes! The dead and injured from chemical weapons are just pawns in Kerry's face saving game.

Good grief.

Yes! He must be the biggest cunt in the world!

PatrickCrazy said:
    k
    Like I said, you can't help yourself.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    k

Like I said, you can't help yourself.k

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:

Then why is almost no one in this thread talking about how batshitcrazy Assad is? .

In 2009, the Obama administration was instrumental in facilitating a free-trade deal that would have seen billions of dollars in commerce flow between the European Union and Syria,

U.S. opposition was a main factor in the deal being delayed, since it was drawn up as a draft pact in 2004. The deal is worth an estimated $7 billion a year for the Syrian economy. The Bush administration was particularly opposed to Syria???s interference in Lebanese affairs and Damascus??? military alliance with Iran.

According to the Egyptian and Palestinian diplomatic sources, the Obama administration dropped American opposition to the deal without first extracting a concession from Syria to end its alliance with Iran.

The Obama national security team that wants to go to war with Syria and demonizes President Bashar Assad is the same group that, as senators, urged reaching out to the dictator.

As a bloc on the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, President Obama, Secretary of State John F. Kerry, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Vice President Joseph R. Biden all opposed the George W. Bush administration???s playing tough with Mr. Assad.

None grew closer to Mr. Assad and promoted him in Washington more than Mr. Kerry.

???President Assad has been very generous with me in terms of the discussions we have had,??? Mr. Kerry, as a senator from Massachusetts, told an audience at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in March 2011. He predicted that Mr. Assad would change for the better.

Now people are complaining that a peaceful, diplomatic resolution to this issue was vigorously attempted.

Amazing.

I don't see any complaints there, just facts.

And I have to wonder, is it remotely possible, that if we had been "tough with Mr. Assad", which the current players opposed, could we have nipped any chemical attacks and mass killings in the bud??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Pepper spray is only banned for use in war under the CWC.

Even though it is banned for use in war, we use it on our own people.

There's a difference between enforcing our laws/crowd dispersal and warfare.

Yes there is a difference.
    I will put you down as being in favor of pepper spraying peaceful protests.

Rockadelic said:

I don't see any complaints there, just facts.

And I have to wonder, is it remotely possible, that if we had been "tough with Mr. Assad", which the current players opposed, could we have nipped any chemical attacks and mass killings in the bud??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The tone of the article is negative, IMO.

We've imposed severe sanctions on Syria since 2004. http://damascus.usembassy.gov/sanctions-syr.html

9 years of sanctions, a warning to not use chemical weapons, and they still go ahead and use them. Twice.

LaserWolf said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Pepper spray is only banned for use in war under the CWC.

Even though it is banned for use in war, we use it on our own people.

There's a difference between enforcing our laws/crowd dispersal and warfare.

Yes there is a difference.
    I will put you down as being in favor of pepper spraying peaceful protests.

If they are orderd to vacate, and are there unlawfully, I'd prefer pepper spray be used to disperse them over physical removal and arrest. Put me down in the yes column, sure.

• Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Then why is almost no one in this thread talking about how batshitcrazy Assad is?

Because he isn't. He's evil, not crazy, and there's a big difference between the two.

Assad can be counted on to act rationally and protect his interests, as vile as they are at this point. Gaddafi might have done anything at anytime and there was no predicting one way or the other.

I think what you really don't get is that until Russia and China agree to act against Assad, nothing we do will matter. Any help we give the 'rebels' (and I'm not at all convinced you can speak of them as a unified group) will be matched or exceeded by Putin aiding Assad.

Until we get that little matter ironed out, there isn't a hell of a lot of effective actions to be taken.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Absolutely nothing will be accomplished by our milquetoast "intervention" and we will project an even more powerless image than already exists, which is really saying something when it comes to U.S. of fuckin' A. !!!!!11!!!11ONE

I agree the USA is looking less and less powerful these days. But is this a bad thing? And if it is, and we want to reverse the trend

We cannot reverse that trend here.

I'm unconcerned if it is a good thing or a bad thing. I think that our nation needs lots of work, and we are in dire straights. That seems to me to be the foremost priority.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Absolutely nothing will be accomplished by our milquetoast "intervention" and we will project an even more powerless image than already exists, which is really saying something when it comes to U.S. of fuckin' A. !!!!!11!!!11ONE

I agree the USA is looking less and less powerful these days. But is this a bad thing? And if it is, and we want to reverse the trend

We cannot reverse that trend here.

I'm unconcerned if it is a good thing or a bad thing. I think that our nation needs lots of work, and we are in dire straights. That seems to me to be the foremost priority.

Agreed.

We can't rally unity to help our nation, and we can't rally unity in the face of atrocity.

America, fuck yeah.

• I am as susceptible to "Sultans Of Swing"'s charms as the next man

• and the sultans play CREOLE....

• "Dire Straights" is way better than "Dire Gays", let me tell you

"As members of Congress consider President Obama???s request to authorize military force in Syria, following evidence that President Bashar Assad???s use of chemical weapons killed over 1,400 people, a ThinkProgress analysis of the public statements of 400 Representatives found that 200 lawmakers have either decisively ruled out supporting the measure or say they are unlikely to back it. Just 49 of the 400 members of the House of Representatives said they will definitely or likely vote in favor or the resolution"

Rockadelic said:
    "As members of Congress consider President Obama???s request to authorize military force in Syria, following evidence that President Bashar Assad???s use of chemical weapons killed over 1,400 people, a ThinkProgress analysis of the public statements of 400 Representatives found that 200 lawmakers have either decisively ruled out supporting the measure or say they are unlikely to back it. Just 49 of the 400 members of the House of Representatives said they will definitely or likely vote in favor or the resolution"

How many of them had been briefed on this at the time of the straw poll?

Bon Vivant said:
    Rockadelic said:

How many of them had been briefed on this at the time of the straw poll?

Couldn't tell you....but here is an update as of an hour ago.

Yes - 26
    Likely Yes - 20
    Undecided - 153
    Unknown - 29
    Likely No - 125
    No - 80

And to complicate things further.....

Russia says it has compiled a 100-page report detailing what it says is evidence that Syrian rebels, not forces loyal to President Bashar Assad, were behind a deadly sarin gas attack in an Aleppo suburb earlier this year.
    In a statement posted on the Russian Foreign Ministry???s website late Wednesday. Russia said the report had been delivered to the United Nations in July and includes detailed scientific analysis of samples that Russian technicians collected at the site of the alleged attack, Khan al Asal.
    Russia said its investigation of the March 19 incident was conducted under strict protocols established by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, the international agency that governs adherence to treaties prohibiting the use of chemical weapons. It said samples that Russian technicians had collected had been sent to OPCW-certified laboratories in Russia.

Rockadelic said:

Don't take your numbers from some one who can't count how many Reps are in the House.

LaserWolf said:
    Rockadelic said:

Don't take your numbers from some one who can't count how many Reps are in the House.

Damn Progressives!

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/09/02/2561371/congress-support-military-action-syria-thinkprogress-whip-count/

• Grayson said it might not even make it out of committee in the House.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I am as susceptible to "Sultans Of Swing"'s charms as the next man

DB_Cooper said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I am as susceptible to "Sultans Of Swing"'s charms as the next man

LOL!
    That .gif is so funny.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Electrode said:

Last time I checked the U.S. is not discussing a full scale invasion of another country right now, so no, I don't think it's 2003 and Iraq all over again.

It's August 1998 all over again.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Want to see what's going on in the Syrian civil war watch this video