syria

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Here's the real facts:

Indentikit Middle East country, WMD, we must do something.
    Oh, it turned out to be bullshit.
    The People: b...b...b... Our gummint lied to us?!?!

Fast forward X years, rinse, repeat.

Meanwhile... Untold despots in Africa, North Korea et cetera routinely wreak havoc on their own people.
    No-one does a thing about that.
    Don't want to step to china? That's cowardice. Africa an unknown theatre? Dont fret, Mugabe will be gone soon. Cowardice.

So what's the underlying principle of these moral outrage episodes?
    It can't be that gassing your people is inherently worse than starvation or the machete or the bomb.

No, the real driver is much more pragmatic. The ME is a saleable venue for the regular recalibration of the war machine, a convenient location for testing the newest generation of hardware and tactics, all under the latter day moral crusade of teaching the un-democratic infidel their place in an economically strategic part of the world. And then everyone gets Haliburton rich in the aftermath clean-up.

Anyone who sees it differently needs to have a serious word with themselves, IMO.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^ real speak

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Skel

In case you missed it the War on Terror has allowed huge increases in defense spending. There are regular drone strikes, covert ops, etc. all around the world as part of it. You don't need the Syrian war for the U.S. military to use its equipment, it already is.

Second, the Syria war has been going on for a couple years now. If you missed it, the Obama administration has tried to steer clear because it doesn't want to get involved in another Middle Eastern war after Iraq. If the U.S. is so much into war mongering as you claim why has it taken it so long to even contemplate an attack?

Third, Obama could have launched a strike already. Instead he's delaying things for a congressional debate and vote on it, which may not go his way. Again, if the urgency is to get involved in the Middle East and use our military might, why the wait?

Fourth, Halliburton's main business is to service oil companies and oil producing governments. They do things like drill oil wells, construct oil pipelines, build docking points, etc. In Syria if the U.S. and some of its allies do anything they're going to be blowing up government and military targets, not any of Syria's oil facilities. Therefore Halliburton will not get any work out of this, especially because Assad will still be in power. He prefers Russian and Iranian companies, and before the civil war French and German ones as well.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    So running a (not so) covert war means "steering clear" now? Cool, memo received.

• Once again, I'm calling out all you hypocrite little fuckers here on Soul Strut that thought it was OK for NATO to bomb Libya, but now all of a sudden think it's somehow not OK to bomb Syria, even though Assad has killed about 100000 more people than Gaddafi.

Lest we forget: http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/68853/P20/

The Syrian regime started to utilize weapons that not even someone as crazy as Gaddafi dared to use. For example, so far Assad has used cluster bombs, napalm, white phosphorus, thermobaric weapons, TNT barrels thrown from helicopters and SCUD missiles to turn whole civilian neighbourhoods to dust. To top it all off now, he even used chemical weapons on a mass scale in Damascus. No dictator in history has ever massively used chemical weapons on his own capital city!

Where is the outrage you hypocrites had back in 2011 during the Libyan war?

Shut up already.

• I'm not liking the US vs. Russia thing brewing....

• So we'll use drones to kill Al Qaeda people in some countries and then arm them and fight along side them in other countries?

Yeah, not too awkward.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    skel said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Why wouldn't confirmation by our government be enough? Other governments?

Dude.
    can't make this shit up haha

Yeah, that "Bush lied, therefore everything the government says forever and ever must be a lie, too" concept is too stupid to believe.

Yet, here you are.

PatrickCrazy said:
    skel said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Dude.

Yeah, that "Bush lied, therefore everything the government says forever and ever must be a lie, too" concept is too stupid to believe.

Yet, here you are.

skel said:

Fast forward X years, rinse, repeat.

Meanwhile... Untold despots in Africa, North Korea et cetera routinely wreak havoc on their own people.
    No-one does a thing about that.
    Don't want to step to china? That's cowardice. Africa an unknown theatre? Dont fret, Mugabe will be gone soon. Cowardice.

Which of those countries are gassing their own people in violation of intenational law?

And, you're dead wrong saying no one does a thing.

Zimbabwe sanctions (part of your "untold" figure)
    http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/pages/zimb.aspx

North Korea sanctions
    http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/pages/nkorea.aspx

Dos.

HarveyCanal said:
    So running a (not so) covert war means "steering clear" now? Cool, memo received.

^^^^^^ Received Infowars memo.

Yes, Infowars ran all those "rebels" and arms into Syria.

And please do keep strumming the war guitar when strumming a guitar from thousands of miles away will be the most you will actually ever do to fight that war.

"Liberal" hawks...you gotta love 'em.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    skel said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Dude.

Yet, here you are.
    Pretty sure there are numerous incidents over tens of centuries of government that make your "government confirmation = credibility" laughable.

HarveyCanal said:

And please do keep strumming the war guitar when strumming a guitar from thousands of miles away will be the most you will actually ever do to fight that war.

What wars have you fought in, tough guy?

The great Bear War of Idaho?

HarveyCanal said:

What wars have you fought in, tough guy?

The great Bear War of Idaho?

PatrickCrazy said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    skel said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Dude.

Yet, here you are.
    Pretty sure there are numerous incidents over tens of centuries of government that make your "government confirmation = credibility" laughable.

LOL! "tens of centuries"!

Yeah, run with that.

"People have been lying for tens of centuries, therefore I don't believe anything no matter how much direct evidence is presented".

So intelligent.

doble

Bot Vivant: Will follow Obama in any direction no matter how contradictory and evil that direction may be.

HarveyCanal said:
    Bot Vivant: Will follow Obama in any direction no matter how contradictory and evil that direction may be.

Harvey Canal will believe any crackpot theory Alex Jones and Ronnie Paul tell him, no matter how contradictory to reality it is.

You're not the only one that can play that game, tough guy.

Oh no, you called me a coward. Now I want to bomb any ole nation reportedly doing wrong to its own citizens. First stop, USA. Whoa, see what I did there?

HarveyCanal said:
    Oh no, you called me a coward. Now I want to bomb any ole nation reportedly doing wrong to its own citizens. First stop, USA. Whoa, see what I did there?

LOL! @ "reportedly".

Dead bodies don't lie, pal.

Millions of refugees don't lie.

But hey, why should you care?

Like you care about anything but thinking you are being right and superior on the internet.

You ain't about shit, son.

HarveyCanal said:
    Like you care about anything but thinking you are being right and superior on the internet.

You ain't about shit, son.

I'm much more than you'll every be, loser.

And I know that makes you mad.

DeadgarHoover said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:

LOL! @ "reportedly".

Dead bodies don't lie, pal.

Millions of refugees don't lie.

But hey, why should you care?

Harvey cares about Harvey.

If there's any indication that he cares about anything or anyone else I've missed it.

That's the reason people become glibertarians in the first place.

Does Harvey even care about himself, though?

I'm not convinced. I sense a lot of self-loathing from him.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:

"People have been lying for tens of centuries, therefore I don't believe anything no matter how much direct evidence is presented".

So intelligent.

I don't think I said anything like that. I said your statement that "government = creditability" is laughable and nothing on the evidence at hand.

PatrickCrazy said:
    Bon Vivant said:

So intelligent.

I don't think I said anything like that. I said your statement that "government = creditability" is laughable and nothing on the evidence at hand.

The fact is that government can = credibilty.

I agree that we have been lied to in the past. I'm not seeing it on this issue, though.

Perhaps you could shed some light as to the why's and how's (more interested in this, TBH) of how we are being lied to on this issue?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:

I agree that we have been lied to in the past. I'm not seeing it on this issue, though.

Because this set of politicos is honest, where all others have been proved otherwise? Even in the face of all experiences to the contrary?

Jeebus. Are those dudes hypnotising you?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    Bon Vivant said:

So intelligent.

The fact is that government can = credibilty.

Perhaps you could shed some light as to the why's and how's (more interested in this, TBH) of how we are being lied to on this issue?

I don't think you're getting it. skel and I quoted that specific statement and nothing else for a reason.