September 2013 Finds

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central
Some of these were acquired the tail end of last month and others were from today's fair.

This first picture were trades from Flashback and a couple of cheap finds at a local shop.

Toni Esposito - Incontro Con - A few fans of this LP on here, I remember Alan picking one up not that long ago. L'Eroe di Plastica is the track on here.

Lee Evans - Cinnamon & Cloves - Dodgy bossa material here. Cool covers of Cravo e Canela, Groovin', Canta de Ossanha, Reza, etc. Not as far as I'm aware the sweaty, hyper active comedian.

Scott Walker - Sings Songs from his TV Series - My ever expanding Scott Walker collection increases again.

Mongo Santamaria - Watermelon Man 12" - Jazz Funk version.

The next couple of pictures were all from the excellent Second Scene Records in Bushey. A very enjoyable day, his birthday coincidently, was spent chatting and buying.

Ben Sidran - I Lead a Life - I always pick up this LP when I see it for the title track.

Piano x4 - Compilation on Saba of tracks by Dieter Reith, Wolfgang Dauner, Elsie Bianchi, etc. The best track is Big P by The Modern Jazz Group Freiburg.

Asahi - The Rising Sun - Dutch promo LP made for Pentax with a couple of down tempo spacy tracks.

The Roy Young Band - Not seen this LP before. I assume it's the same Roy Young that released the Mr Funky LP. Great funky horn rock LP.

Parliament - Deep / Flashlight - Classic West Coast Funk!

Rogero's Brazilian Band - Musica da Noite - No idea who these guys were. Not an easy LP to turn up in my experience. Couple of cool instrumentals, originals I think.

Georges Jouvin - Hit Jouvin No2 - Mostly easy listening but with a couple of now sound funky instrumentals thrown into the mix. The best tracks seem to have been co written with Jo Moutet who has released a couple of sort after soundtracks. A bit of googling leads me back to this site and LDJB finding this LP at a boot in 2007!

Alice Coltrane - Transcendence - Not as good as some of her earlier LP's but still a worthy listen.

This next lot came from a variety of sources:

Boogaloo Joe Jones - Right On Brother - Flashback trade. Great funky old school Acid Jazz!

Preston Love - Omaha Bar-B-Q - From Second Scene - More groovy jazz with a food theme!

Skidoo Soundtrack - Found today at a local fair in the ??2 boxes. Never seen the film, no doubt a crazy 60's psychedelic experience!

The Pandora Orchestra - Top TV Themes - never seen this comp before. Some unusual funky themes that don't turn up on all the other compilations.

These were all from today's fair.

Sam Dees - The Show Must Go On - Very pleased to pick this up for cheap today. Child of the Streets is classic!

Shirley Scott - Mystical Lady - This and the Dadisi are both from an amazing collection that I went through an age ago. The dealer is gradually bringing out the bits I selected. So much good stuff in there to come! Listen to her Elton cover version!

Dadisi Komolafe - Hassan's Walk - Long Time want!

A couple of great 45's

Eddie Russ Trio - Natasha - Nice spiritual jazz 45

The Squires - Funky Bayswater - Great funky rock track that I've been looking for for a while!

Comments

• Craigslist finds from this morning...$20 for the pile in a dude's basement.

• Picked up a clean copy of this salsa heavy today from local waxidermian.

And I finally got myself a Truth pressing of this (courtesy of my mailbox).

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts

flea market finds from last weekend:
    Os T??pes - nice gaucho folk on Discos Marcus Pereira
    Jards Macal?? - Contrastes

and some stuff I found today:

Magnetic Sounds - instrumental covers of various film themes, there's a fuzzed out version of the theme from Lost in Space
    Ednardo - O Romance do Pav??o Mysterioso
    Antonio Adolfo - Feito em Casa
    Fellini - S?? Vive 2 Vezes - S??o Paulo n??o wave stuff

Skowa e a Mafia - Amigo do Amigo 12"
    Fernando Mendes - good cheesy stuff, but I like Jurema Jureminha
    Os Pumas - 3x6=18 - weird set of forr?? medleys with a crazy synth cover of The Silver Connection's Fly Robin Fly
    Joyce - Feminina

Maracatu Na????o Pernambuco
    Tulio Piva e Tempo Trio - Pandeiro de Prata 7" - nice samba track
    Golden Boys - 7" with Na Rua, Na Chuva, Na Fazenda and Malandragem Dela. The versions are nice but not as good as the originals.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    September is starting out quite good. First off are three records from what must be one of the crazeist recordstores i ve ever been to, called "deepend records" in bordeaux, france. i swear this place is dripping with raer. prices are ok, not crazy high but certainly not cheap as well. If you are in the area, check it out. all sorts of mad stuff but with an emphasis on Jazz and Progessive Rock. He had 3 original copies of "Malesch" etc..

next of some fleamarket stuff. didnt know the head machine, turns out my instinct was right to pick it up for 3 euros.

cheap finds from various thrifts and recordstores

part of a collection of a university professor i looked through. Dead mint.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Crazy finds inVrs! Congrats!

• damn invrs. i need that smoke, can i holleur?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    damn invrs. i need that smoke, can i holleur?

Thanks. Smoke was a longtime want for me as well, i have the reissue/boot though as well as a spare if you fancy that? not the same i know but till you find an OG it might be nice to have.

heres part of the wall of that store in bordeaux:

the bins were filled with shit like this as well. Aside from the Rare Groove/Jazz Disk Union in Shibuya i think i have never seen anything like this.. literally half of the store was wall material.. he had TONS of blue notes as well, and all the ones i checked were first or at least early microgroove pressings. If you got the cash i d say check it out!

• Nice look copping the Dadisi Komolafe Illmod! Great Lp. The Supreme Jubilees LP is simply distilled amazingness. The Akeeb Kareem was got for the min bid on ebay for 50$ with a beat cover and clean wax. I'm sure Frank picks them ripe off trees by the bushel in Nigeria, but it made my day.

and last but not least a NRR find: I picked up this little girl coming back home from Windsor ON last week. She is rocking our world. She an English Mastiff, she's gonna grow.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Congrats on the dog.

BIG DOG.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    Nice look copping the Dadisi Komolafe Illmod! Great Lp. The Supreme Jubilees LP is simply distilled amazingness. The Akeeb Kareem was got for the min bid on ebay for 50$ with a beat cover and clean wax. I'm sure Frank picks them ripe off trees by the bushel in Nigeria, but it made my day.

Hey i've always wondered about that Pride record - is it comparable to the classic axelrod solos or release of an oath?

• If u like Axeltod, u will like this record I think, though it's unique w/ a latin folk kinda twist. His son did it with him 3 wks before his son was killed I believe, kinda crazy.

• Some finds from very late August and September. Apologies in advance for the horrible photos!

Doubtless nothing new to you guys, the only ones I'd not heard before were
    Cheryl Ernst - Always Beginning
    Brethren - Brethren and
    Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Fool On The Hill.

I was pretty hyped today to find the Japanese He's Coming which had been marked down a few times before I copped it for a tenner!

Cristo Redemptor on Harvey Mandel is wonderful.
    Also a version with Mandel on guitar on a Charlie Musslewhite lp.

• Certainly is - I didn't even realise that song was a standard. Thanks for the heads up. I'm digging Snake off the Harvey Mandel LP too.

Yeah, Duke Pearson wrote the song.
    I think it is on an lp with a dark cover, can't remember the name but great album.

• A few more. Does anybody have OG matrix numbers for The Mad Lads so I can check it?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    toby.d said:

A few more. Does anybody have OG matrix numbers for The Mad Lads so I can check it?

not at home to check, but if its paste on back and brown cardboard inside its an OG

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey (Jamaican pressing)

Allright Family Band - Music Is Love (Maui)
    this one has Sky Saxon from The Seeds doing the vocals on one track

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Recent finds

Guzzo, all those covers in the top photo are great.

What's the peace and love, and the one next to it. Look familiar.

• What's particularly good on the Cosmic Brotherhood album? I remember thinking it was decent but that nothing touched Yentra II. Would love to have a copy of the Ronettes but have only ever seen it on sale for big bucks.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Flea market, thrift store etc finds (except the bollywood stuff) from about 3 months time.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Guzzo, all those covers in the top photo are great.

What's the peace and love, and the one next to it. Look familiar.

Thanks D*n,

The homie Asprin showed me that Makin Bacon years ago, I found it in a crate of country and scooped it up.

Peace & Love is a Latin (Mexican?) psych album from '71 on the cisne label. Several really great fuzzed out tracks and a fairly solid listen from beginning to end.

The red LP is another Latin LP from the El Paso based group Charlie & the Jives (later just "The Jives"). A lot of bolero style tracks but there is also a great brown eyed slow jam called "Sad Girl"and a funky rock track with thick drums and fuzz guitar called "One Fine Morning" that I think is a lighthouse cover

Sad Girl -

• I see some great great records coming through, love the variety of styles.
    Actually I'm new here and quite liking the topics.

Here are some of my September finds (nothing rare though)

(top left to bottom right)
    * Mexico Party. Nice mariachi music.
    * Errol Garner
    * Lobo - Soca Calypso!
    * Massada - Sajang ??

* The Edwin Hawkins Singers
    * This is Roberto Delgado
    * Euson - Life is on my side
    * Frank Valdor and the Gogo-Girls - Rhythmus A gogo

Favorite September finds:

* The Manhattans
    * Alf - Stuck on earth (single)
    * Doctor Hook and the medicine show
    * Joe Jackson - Big World

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Found this on craigslist. Woman had it listed as "Electric Piano" with a shitty picture of the corner. $100

I need a new fuse for it, so i haven't heard what it sounds like yet. anyone have any experience with one?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    picked up a few things yesterday:

Quinteto Violado - Berra-Boi - solid northeastern brazilian psych-folk with tunes like Abra??o ao Hermeto.
    Erasmo Carlos - Pelas Esquinas de Ipanema - nice late 70s album by him, songs like Eu e Maria and this nice version of A Terceira For??a.

plus 3 random 45s from Mozambique:
    Conjunto Revela????o - A Nsati Lw??/Nikuine
    Hortencio Langa - Nitsenzelekile/Minha Metade
    Conjunto Tete 74 - Mai Phatha Phaza/Rosita Wangu
    these are nice and chill, like most mozambican music I've heard (I haven't heard that much though). Hortencio Langa's Minha Metade has some bluesy electric guitar going on, I like it. Can't find it online though.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    mini said:
    Flea market, thrift store etc finds (except the bollywood stuff) from about 3 months time.

"The Quiller Memorandum" and "Rocky" (the Bollywood one) are two great films. The former is one of my top 5 British films of the 60s. A local dealer had the latter after his friend scooped one up from his trip to India, but someone beat me to the punch

• minimini 879 Posts
    Electrode said:
    mini said:

"The Quiller Memorandum" and "Rocky" (the Bollywood one) are two great films. The former is one of my top 5 British films of the 60s. A local dealer had the latter after his friend scooped one up from his trip to India, but someone beat me to the punch

Haven't seen neither one of the movies but would like to. Really like the Rocky soundtrack (haven't listened the Quiller Memorandum yet).

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Good day. Walked around a swap and dipped into a rather new record store, with plenty of good titles in great condition. The Herbie is a UA pressing.