syria

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Jean-ClaudeBanDamned said:
    Horseleech said:
    I'll be surprised if this thread goes where you think it will.

Dunno about Coop, but this thread went exactly where I thought it would go.

I disagree. I think it's been a fairly decent discussion.

Of course you're the Pope and I'm not so we see things differently.

Thank You.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    We should bomb the military assets of both sides to promote the stalemate.

• Rockadelic said:
    The idiots on the Right who have or will threaten to Impeach the current President if he goes to War without Congressional approval will be just as full of shit.....I'm able to recognize this...you are not.....at least your Left wing buddy bot can admit Biden was just full of shit....you can't. And your transparency of being a Demobot is especially comical when you accuse Harvey of being the same for Ron Paul...your cursing of him is the cherry on top.

It's funny being called a Left wing bot by a guy who can't even admit he's right of center, and WAY right of center on (for example) the death penalty, where he's to the right of our current Supreme Court, but okay, he's pro-pot, so nothing else matters.

And if he's ever, ever called out a right-wing pol or pundit the way he routinely does Democrats, I haven't seen it. So who is the bot? I'll also note that he never goes after the right-wingers who post here the way he goes after BV and I - ever. But then he's the same guy who once listed pundits he hated and named Olbermann and Maddow but no right-wing mouthos. You know, because Maddow is the exact left-wing equivalent of Limbaugh and Hannity.

Or something. Maybe us bots just can't understand his supremely balanced perspective because he only expresses half of it.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Like Biden, you're absolutely full of shit....where did I say anything that would suggest I don't know the Impeachment process.....I didn't, you are either imagining it in your secret mind garden or purposefully putting words in my mouth that never existed...typical Lawyer bullshit.

If Biden knows what you have read his mind and purport that he knows he is just as full of shit as any other politician on either side of the fence....it's just that you are either blind to it or blindly defend one side as if they are above contempt.

The idiots on the Right who have or will threaten to Impeach the current President if he goes to War without Congressional approval will be just as full of shit.....I'm able to recognize this...you are not.....at least your Left wing buddy bot can admit Biden was just full of shit....you can't. And your transparency of being a Demobot is especially comical when you accuse Harvey of being the same for Ron Paul...your cursing of him is the cherry on top.

As far as Biden's exact words, if you were really interested you could find them yourself but since you want to play some lame courtroom game where you feel you are in the right as long as you put the burden of proof on your opponent...here you go.

" And I want to make it clear, I want it on the record, and I want to make it clear, if he does, as chairman of the foreign relations committee and former chair of the judiciary committee, I will move to impeach him."

You will also find a Chris Mattews interview where he stands behind this statement and repeats....

So I got together and brought a group of constitutional scholars together to write a piece that I'm going to deliver to the whole United State Senate pointing out the President has no constitutional authority...to take this nation to war against a county of 70 million people unless we're attacked or unless there is proof we are about to be attacked. And if he does, if he does, I would move to impeach him.

So if he knows, as you claim, that he had no authority to start Impeachment proceedings, he's just full of shit....but hey, he's YOUR liar that's full of shit, so that's OK.

LOL! Now I have to find support for the bullshit you post? No.

I'm also seeing Biden's statement is crafted with a particular word in it. That word is "if". "And if he does, if he does,"

You should look up what that word means after you look up the impeachment process.

Liar? LOL! He could have asked the House (hint: that's what "move" means in this context) to impeach him. Where's the lie? He never said he would or could start impeachment proceedings. At least it's not in any quote you've provided.

I'll say it again, get at me when we actually DO attack Syria without Congressional authority,

Until then, this is just more hot air and false equivalences from you. Par for the course, really.

As far as knowing he was full of shit; I know he was on this. You're the one who brought him up, not me. You're the one that's getting asshurt, not me.

Or something. Maybe us bots just can't understand his supremely balanced perspective because he only expresses half of it.

Bleep, blorp, bleep.

• Horseleech said:
    Horseleech said:

Thank You.

Es exspectata Pater sancte.

• Bon Vivant said:

Bleep, blorp, bleep.

Do both sides blorp?

Hey, Texas has just passed a clearly racist voter suppression law... what's the left wing equivalent of THAT?

Free school lunches? Both sides do it! He's right!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

It's funny being called a Left wing bot by a guy who can't even admit he's right of center, and WAY right of center on (for example) the death penalty, where he's to the right of our current Supreme Court, but okay, he's pro-pot, so nothing else matters.

And if he's ever, ever called out a right-wing pol or pundit the way he routinely does Democrats, I haven't seen it. So who is the bot? I'll also note that he never goes after the right-wingers who post here the way he goes after BV and I - ever. But then he's the same guy who once listed pundits he hated and named Olbermann and Maddow but no right-wing mouthos. You know, because Maddow is the exact left-wing equivalent of Limbaugh and Hannity.

I've done it many times here and I'll do it again...I'm very right of center on some issues and I'm very left of center on others.

I think all politicians are self serving bullshit artists and I wouldn't be affiliated with either of the two major parties as I don't agree with either one enough to support them

Write this down, memorize it and never bring it up again.

Thank You

• Reynaldo said:
    We should bomb the military assets of both sides to promote the stalemate.

You own Raytheon stock?

Bon Vivant said:

Bleep, blorp, bleep.

Do both sides blorp?

Hey, Texas has just passed a clearly racist voter suppression law... what's the left wing equivalent of THAT?

Maybe Rock can answer that question, since he's bot-free?

[q

I'll say it again, get at me when we actually DO attack Syria without Congressional authority,

It's the EXACT equivalence...Biden spewed his bullshit BEFORE anyone went to war without congressional support.

You are so intellectually superior to anyone here I can't imagine why you waste your time posting.

• Rockadelic said:
    Rockadelic said:

I've done it many times here and I'll do it again...I'm very right of center on some issues and I'm very left of center on others.

I think all politicians are self serving bullshit artists and I wouldn't be affiliated with either of the two major parties as I don't agree with either one enough to support them

Thank You

You've gone after right-wingers here?

Sorry, I don't believe you. You may have disagreed with one here or there, but you reserve your contempt for left-wing viewpoints.

That's my observation. Feel free to provide any evidence to the contrary.

Bon Vivant said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Bleep, blorp, bleep.

Do both sides blorp?

I live in Texas...I am not the State or the politicians of Texas and I did not pass this law.

Of course being a Texan I am somehow guilty of passing AND supporting this law(which I do not)

Do you support the recent Supreme Court ruling on Voter ID....after all you are an American and you support EVERYTHING America does just like I am a Texan and support everything the state of Texas does.

Both of you are masters of deflection....projecting false accusations as if they were fact...is that what they taught you in Law School?

Rockadelic said:
    Rockadelic said:

Thank You

Sorry, I don't believe you. You may have disagreed with one here or there, but you reserve your contempt for left-wing viewpoints.

There is only one Right Winger here and he gets more than his fair share of shit.

I don't believe in pile-on gang bangs.

But for the record, and to once again prove you are full of it, I have been very vocal about how stupid the war on drugs is and I vocally oppose the Pro-Life movement....both very right wing stances. You know this is fact.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    rape_donkeys said:
    right, well democracy and freedom are cool ideals, bro. until you realize that the only things holding the middle east together are arbitrary territorial boundaries and autocratic power alliances that keep the citizenry immobilized. the ethnic majority of many countries in the region is controlled by a fractious minority with money, international support, and political knowhow. look at iraq! or egypt. it's absolutely insane to think democracy can flourish in these places by just imagining or hoping for it. everything ain't for everybody. /lito

Iraq and Egypt are examples of a fractious minority ruling over an ethnic majority???? Iraq is 60% Shiite Arab, and around 80% Arab overall. The prime minister and speaker of parliament are both Arabs. The premier being Shiite. What ethnic majority is being ruled over by a minority in Egypt???? You have an Arab military running an Arab country.

All I have to say is that American TV and radio are doing a big fail in explaining and especially analyzing Syria. I have not heard one person who knows about the country, being interviewed. It is a sorry ass example of providing information to the public.

The stated goal of striking Syria is to send a message to Assad and other countries around the world that they cannot use WMD against their population or other countries.

I have no problem with this argument.

I think the U.S. and perhaps some of its NATO allies are going to do one or maybe two strikes and that's basically it. The U.S. is suffering from an Iraq syndrome and does not want to get any more involved in Syria than sending a message. Blowing stuff up for a day or two does not mean that American is going to get any more involved, and I don't see anything coming out of the White House saying that they want to.

If you want a basic run down of Syria here's the deal. You have three main groups in the country controlling different parts of the country. There's the Assad government that controls mostly the western part of the country. It is receiving weapons and support from Iran and Russia. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard, Lebanon's Hezbollah, and Shiite militiamen from Iraq have all gone to fight for the government. The Kurds have carved out their own areas in northeastern Syria. The main group is the PYD who is an offshoot of the PKK party in Turkey. There's a smaller group that is backed by Iraq's Kurdistan as well. The recent flow of thousands of Syrian Kurds into Iraq recently was because Iraqi Kurdistan shuts down the border to punish the PYD, and decided to open the border points so all these people who had been stuck there waiting suddenly flooded into Iraq. The third group are the rebels, which are really two distinct groups as well. They are getting support from the Gulf States and a few others. There's the Free Syrian Army, which was the main rebel group mainly made up of Sunnis. It was never a real unified army, but rather made up of different commanders. That groups has fallen into disarray. The main fighting against the government is now being done by Islamist groups. One of the most effective and organized ones is the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, aka Al Qaeda in Iraq. It moved into Syria from Iraq when the civil war broke out and has connections to Al Qaeda central in Pakistan/Afghanistan. Al Nusra Front is another Islamist group that is homegrown Syrians. Al Qaeda in Iraq tried to take it over, and got the majority of its fighters, but Nusra's leader wanted to stay independent and rejected the merger. There are other smaller Islamist parties as well. They are mostly based in the northern and central section of the country. From what I can tell the war is stalemated and each group is looking to solidify control over their specific region. There are occasional offensives to retake specific villages and towns, but the country is now de facto partitioned by the armed groups.

P.S. - I'm ambivalent about the U.S. striking Syria. Washington wants to send a message but I'm not sure they can do that effectively. That's because they don't want to weaken Assad and open the door to the Islamist rebels gaining any more ground.

• Rockadelic said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Bleep, blorp, bleep.

Do both sides blorp?

I live in Texas...I am not the State or the politicians of Texas and I did not pass this law.

Of course being a Texan I am somehow guilty of passing AND supporting this law(which I do not)

Do you support the recent Supreme Court ruling on Voter ID....after all you are an American and you support EVERYTHING America does just like I am a Texan and support everything the state of Texas does.

Both of you are masters of deflection....projecting false accusations as if they were fact...is that what they taught you in Law School?

I didn't assume you supported the law at all. That wasn't even the question.

The question is what the left-wing equivalent of that law is, since "both sides do it" is your basic formula.

• Rockadelic said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Rockadelic said:

Thank You

There is only one Right Winger here and he gets more than his fair share of shit.

So you've "done it many times here" and you'll do it again but you've never done it here because there's only one right-winger here.

Wait, what?

• Rockadelic said:
    But for the record, and to once again prove you are full of it, I have been very vocal about how stupid the war on drugs is and I vocally oppose the Pro-Life movement....both very right wing stances. You know this is fact.

Being against the War On Drugs isn't a left-wing position. William F. Buckley devoted an entire issue of the National Review to legalization decades ago. Having one or two (fairly mainstream) points of agreement doesn't mean you're not basically right-of-center.

Jeezus, the funny thing is that you're so insulted by it. You're a climate change denier who wants to execute 15 year old kids, and you think protesters should stop whining and you (stop me if I'm wrong) oppose raising the minimum wage and you want a flat tax - but you think you're a centrist.

Okey-dokey. But I'm a bot.

So you've "done it many times here" and you'll do it again but you've never done it here because there's only one right-winger here.

Wait, what?

I've stated anti-right wing stances here YES....I have not attacked right wingers as you specifically stated...NO....I'll leave the latter to you and everyone else here.

Rockadelic said:

Being against the War On Drugs isn't a left-wing position. William F. Buckley devoted an entire issue of the National Review to legalization decades ago. Having one or two (fairly mainstream) points of agreement doesn't mean you're not basically right-of-center.

Jeezus, the funny thing is that you're so insulted by it. You're a climate change denier who wants to execute 15 year old kids, and you think protesters should stop whining and you (stop me if I'm wrong) oppose raising the minimum wage and you want a flat tax - but you think you're a centrist.

If you can find a post here where I said I was a "Centrist" I will send you a $1,000 and never post on the Internet again.

Your half-assed interpretations won't count.

I'll say it one last time...I have views that are considered BOTH left and right of center.....you can stereotype me anyway your biased mind wants to.

Your problem is you're one of those "You're either with us or you're against us" kind of guys and I'm not "with" any of your "sides". DEAL

Here is a perfect example on how your mind works....you can take even the simplest statement and interpret it in a way that you think/hope/wish/project it might mean.....and you are usually wrong.

When Rock said "mind our own business" it can be taken both ways. War IS a major business of the US and has been and will continue to be.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Horseleech said:

Thank You.

• Rockadelic said:
    Rockadelic said:

If you can find a post here where I said I was a "Centrist" I will send you a $1,000 and never post on the Internet again.

Your half-assed interpretations won't count.

I'll say it one last time...I have views that are considered BOTH left and right of center.....you can stereotype me anyway your biased mind wants to.

Your problem is you're one of those "You're either with us or you're against us" kind of guys and I'm not "with" any of your "sides". DEAL

You DEAL. I'm telling a right-of-center dude who calls me a left-wing bot a right-of-center dude. Again, it's not exactly a ripping insult.

What's good for the right-wing goose is good for the left-wing gander.

• Rockadelic said:
    Here is a perfect example on how your mind works....you can take even the simplest statement and interpret it in a way that you think/hope/wish/project it might mean.....and you are usually wrong.

When Rock said "mind our own business" it can be taken both ways. War IS a major business of the US and has been and will continue to be.

Wait, what am I wrong about there? I'm not attributing that conclusion to you. It's just an observational riff based on your post.

What "our business" is is not a matter of universal agreement.

• DB_Cooper said:
    Horseleech said:
    Horseleech said:

Thank You.

Your trenchant, non-trolling comment about the thread subject is duly noted.

Thanks for preying.

Rockadelic said:

Wait, what am I wrong about there? I'm not attributing that conclusion to you. It's just an observational riff based on your post.

The phrase "Mind (y)our own business" has a universally accepted meaning.

"Mind your own business" is a common English saying which asks for a respect of other people's privacy. It can mean that a person should stop meddling in what does not concern that person"

What you did/do is take two words of the phrase(our business) and try to twist it to mean something else.....it's called manipulation.

What I said was plain and simple and not open to any perverted interpretation.

• Rockadelic said:
    Rockadelic said:

"Mind your own business" is a common English saying which asks for a respect of other people's privacy. It can mean that a person should stop meddling in what does not concern that person"

What you did/do is take two words of the phrase(our business) and try to twist it to mean something else.....it's called manipulation.

Bullshit. In this context you're talking about what the national interest is. As a longtime worker in the petrochemical industry you can't possibly be suggesting that the national interest can't even arguably involve what happens in the Middle East. Syria, in case you don't have a map handy, is in the Middle East.

But then you've left the bounds of reality and you're now only concerned with winning the current argument... or something.

And since you've now insisted that you (and you alone) can't be placed anywhere on the established political spectrum, can you let me know which other ordinary classifications you might object to? I'd hate to refer to you as a mammal and have you go off again.

Rockadelic said:
    Rockadelic said:

Bullshit. In this context you're talking about what the national interest is. As a longtime worker in the petrochemical industry you can't possibly be suggesting that the national interest can't even arguably involve what happens in the Middle East. Syria, in case you don't have a map handy, is in the Middle East.

But then you've left the bounds of reality and you're now only concerned with winning the current argument... or something.

And since you've now insisted that you (and you alone) can't be placed anywhere on the established political spectrum, can you let me know which other ordinary classifications you might object to? I'd hate to refer to you as a mammal and have you go off again.

You're right