Most overrated rap record ever?

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Over rated IMO
    I have long thought illmatic is over rated, I am not saying its not a great album, but I think people get blinded by the emotional attachment to the era it was released in.
    Marcberg, when this dropped the reaction from the people I know that usually hated on everything hip hop was like a bunch of teenage girls at a Beiber concert, so maybe I just went into it with out of proportion expectations.
    Black Sunday, this was one of my first major disappointments in albums and I have never grown to lie it, despite trying to re listen on numerous occasions.

not over rated IMO
    Fear of a Black Planet, really, over rated??? I mean how do you follow up something like A Nation of Millions. I would argue that with the exception of 911 and pollywannacracka this album has aged very well, plus it has the best album intro ever!
    Saying the entire Roots discography is over rated is a pretty senseless blanket statement, if you dont like the Roots that's cool, but I have never seen any one really jock any of their albums as the be all and end all of hip hop.
    Also why are people posting youtube links to tracks, I'm pretty sure we are all familiar with these albums??

• I didn't think Funcrusher Plus was all that overrated at the time. As others have mentioned Mos Def and Kweli got plenty hype in the late 90's.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Funcrusher Plus was definitely, massively overrated when it dropped, but subsequently hatted on because of it. now it's probably at it's level. I still like it, think it's held up well and spin it once a year or so. 'Silence' is an absolute belter

• I regularly played Vital Nerve when out. I meant less hyped in comparison to the likes of Black on Both Sides and Black Star.

• Any album by or involving

Common
    Twarib Kweri
    Mos Def
    Jurassic 5

that is rated in any way is highly overrated as they are the corniest artist's in rap music.

I would add the Roots but Black Thought is a talented MC. I just wish he had a DJ instead of the shitty Jam band.

Add Quasimoto to the list. Annoying in the extreme.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Stay on topic. Overrated ALBUM....not who i HATT and their catalogs.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    batmon said:
    Stay on topic. Overrated ALBUM....not who i HATT and their catalogs.
    Think you

• the_dL said:

Saying the entire Roots discography is over rated is a pretty senseless blanket statement, if you dont like the Roots that's cool, but I have never seen any one really jock any of their albums as the be all and end all of hip hop.

YOU HAVE CLEARLY NEVER VISITED THE FRIGHTENING NETHERWORLD OF OKAYPLAYER.COM

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    phongone said:

If it hasn't been said before, anything Tupac/Too Short/E-40 related is overrated.

It hasn't been said because it isn't true. I know people worshiping 2Pac makes you uncomfortable, but I'm pretty sure 2Pac devotees know more about rap than you do.

4YearGraduate said:
    DISCUSS

Have never listened to this. No, wait, anytime I've gone on a boat on Lake Travis the past few years, I'm sure I've heard multiple tracks from this. Hmm, it's do-able I guess, but ultimately annoying to me. Here's my letter to J-5:

The early 80's were great when it comes to style. It's cool that you want to always remind us of back then. But the early 80's weren't perpetually a wink and a smile, with dudes harmonizing and dancing in synch with each other. Grrrrr a little why don't ya? Thank you.

batmon said:

Overrated

Used to love her, but ain't been with her in quite some time. Seems like last time I threw it on, I was vastly underwhelmed.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Not sure if the Board's demographic has changed or enough time has passed to show what has persevered and what hasn't (or both), but I am surprised to see some of the candidates named and seconded, thirded. Just as an example, a few years ago when I said how terrible I thought The Roots were, I got way more opposition than support.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    bassie said:
    Not sure if the Board's demographic has changed or enough time has passed to show what has persevered and what hasn't (or both), but I am surprised to see some of the candidates named and seconded, thirded. Just as an example, a few years ago when I said how terrible I thought The Roots were, I got way more opposition than support.

I've lurked for a long while and only recently started posting and I dislike them if that helps?

But I'd have to disagree with whoever said Too $hort/E-40 are overrated. If anything they don't get enough shine.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    gareth said:
    batmon said:

Overrated

I love this album, and agree.

Disagree. On the whole, I think it's properly rated, especially nowadays as the initial hype around it (and "I Used to Love h.e.r.") has died down. Great beats, great scratching (I'm a DJ--I care about that, dammit!), great lyricism delivered in a rapping style that walks the line between original and annoying.

• Yeah, I wouldn't look down upon Resurrection compared to some of his subsequent releases.

• One Day It Will All Make Sense is way more overrated IMO. Spotty record, some great shit but some zzzz moments as well. And the basis for Com3.0 under the full spell of Baduizm.

Man, who's got the "don't stare directly at the ass" graemlin? Dollar_Bin??

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    gareth said:
    batmon said:

Overrated

I love this album, and agree.

Disagree. On the whole, I think it's properly rated, especially nowadays as the initial hype around it (and "I Used to Love h.e.r.") has died down. Great beats, great scratching (I'm a DJ--I care about that, dammit!), great lyricism delivered in a rapping style that walks the line between original and annoying.

its the only common sense record i go back to. its well put together and is solid. no fillers imo. even pops rap is something i dont skip pastz i dig his dads voice ;)

• after some thought here is my choice

also contains the most overrated beat ever (shook ones 2)

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Resurrection is a great record and I still play that bitch out all the time. Yeah, perhaps I skip "H.E.R." just cuz i've played it to death, but the album is really good. Great work from NOID and Mr Sinista (i think) did great job on the cuts.

just was playing this earlier today....."Nothin to do" and "Communism" are absolute jams

• Jonny_Paycheck said:

Man, who's got the "don't stare directly at the ass" graemlin? Dollar_Bin??

That was me that made that. I'm in Hawaii, away from any of those files. I told a coworker about badu's hypnotizing powers on rappers and the devastating after effects. He was both surprised and amused.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    bassie said:
    The Roots
    all of it

Agree. All their albums started to sound the same. I can't tell one from the other.

I also agree with Nas 'Illmatic'. I'll take 'It was written' over 'Illmatic' any day.

Oh, and J-Dilla 'Donuts'.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    when has too short ever been overrated? name one album of his that was ever put on a list next to illmatic,linx,etc.

i agree with everybody who says that the score is the answer to this question.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    shook ones is a classic. period.

• SIRUS said:
    when has too short ever been overrated?

seriously tho.
    never, ever heard anybody say he's one the greats or anything close.
    not a huge fan, but he probably gets much less cred than he deserves.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    he's been called great, but outside of real life and maybe here on the strut, i've never read any publication put a album of his on any list.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I'm calling any record by Marshall Mathers.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    A little inside baseball as far as its bigger-picture classic status. I like this record well enough but I never really had that moment with it - there was never a song, let along a group of them or the whole damn thing - that made me return to it over and over like so many other records in this thread. I tried many times and still revisit. I do like chicken and gravy....

white_tea said:
    A little inside baseball as far as its bigger-picture classic status. I like this record well enough but I never really had that moment with it - there was never a song, let along a group of them or the whole damn thing - that made me return to it over and over like so many other records in this thread. I tried many times and still revisit. I do like chicken and gravy....

Not as bad as Mobb Deep dude up above, but still...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the_dL said:

Marcberg

Good one.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    white_tea said:

Not as bad as Mobb Deep dude up above, but still...

srsly wtf????

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's flame-worthy, I freely admit.