Most overrated rap record ever?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    SP 1200 said:
    Ridin Dirty. Nice loops but I can't get with the beats at all.

NOT BOOM BAP ENOUGH

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    SP 1200 said:
    Ridin Dirty. Nice loops but I can't get with the beats at all.

You sound Australian.

• It'd be hard for me to be much further away from the place. Had a chuckle at the AUS videos on the other thread regardless.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:

I put this in the same boat as Fear of a Black Planet......Ive heard too many folks claim this is better than Low End Theory.

Truthfully, Ive never overdosed on this, but its a Classic. I cant make the overrated call.

But The Chase Pt.2, Lyrics To Go and God Lives Through is one the greatest dismounts of a Rapp album

• Illmatic, as good as it is, is considered the best rap record of all time. Overrated by nature.

Fear Of A Black Planet was a letdown compared to Nation Of Millions

The Score has a lot of mediocre rapping and styles that didn't age well.

I want R* to elaborate on his pick of The Fix.

PatrickCrazy said:
    top 25?

Rap has more than 25 Great albums. So if its ..lets say #86, The Score's status/impact shouldnt be diminished despite its overration.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Hard Knock Life

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:
    bassie said:

I put this in the same boat as Fear of a Black Planet......Ive heard too many folks claim this is better than Low End Theory.

Truthfully, Ive never overdosed on this, but its a Classic. I cant make the overrated call.

But The Chase Pt.2, Lyrics To Go and God Lives Through is one the greatest dismounts of a Rapp album

It was underwhelming when it first came out and I have tried it a few times over the years (I've definitely changed my mind about things I didn't first like after letting some time and hype pass) but it is still a resounding meh in my books.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Illmatic, as good as it is, is considered the best rap record of all time. Overrated by nature.

this is what I've always said about this tape. it may be my favorite rap album ever (it's not, but for the sake of argument), and it would nonetheless be overrated.

and yeah, the years have not been kind to the Score. even at the time, I never considered those guys to be lyrically all that tight (and yes that includes Lauryn), but I'll be cotdamned if those verses don't sound downright embarrassing in 2013.

I cant agree w/ Reasonable Doubt.
    Its Classic but not like some shoved down your throat type shit.

Production by Kanye West and The Neptunes. Features by Jay-Z, Beanie Segal, Nas, Faith Evans, and Kelly Price.

And it wasn't until Face put all those non-Southern folks on his album before the NYC contingent really rode for him.

Granted, some cut for The Diary when that came out, but as I remember it, The Source gave The Fix a ridonkulous 5 mic rating.

It simply wasn't/isn't that good an album, no matter how you slice it.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    All Eminem records ever.

• This all started because we were playing an old Red Alert tape in the shop and "Fu-Gee-La" was dropped. Everybody on that track was fail

Edit: Lauryn kinda brought it. But then again not really

JectWon said:
    All Eminem records ever.

Oh yeah, thank you. I just changed my answer to jibe with yours. Gawd, I hate Eminem so much I wasn't even considering him. Too gimmicky, including his voice.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Roots
    all of it

rootlesscosmo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Illmatic, as good as it is, is considered the best rap record of all time. Overrated by nature.

this is what I've always said about this tape. it may be my favorite rap album ever (it's not, but for the sake of argument), and it would nonetheless be overrated.

and yeah, the years have not been kind to the Score. even at the time, I never considered those guys to be lyrically all that tight (and yes that includes Lauryn), but I'll be cotdamned if those verses don't sound downright embarrassing in 2013.

All the parties I heard this at (at least the hits/b-level hits), no one really cared about no lyrics from them.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    This all started because we were playing an old Red Alert tape in the shop and "Fu-Gee-La" was dropped. Everybody on that track was fail

Edit: Lauryn kinda brought it. But then again not really

Sounds like you don't want Lauryn to play Nina Simone and defecate on your microphone

bassie said:
    The Roots
    all of it

Who?

• bassie said:
    The Roots
    all of it

this * thirtythousandhunnidmillion

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Fear Of A Black Planet was a letdown compared to Nation Of Millions

The Score has a lot of mediocre rapping and styles that didn't age well.

I want R* to elaborate on his pick of The Fix.
    according to r*, fix wasn't Houston enough

• batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

All the parties I heard this at (at least the hits/b-level hits), no one really cared about no lyrics from them.

I disagree. bitd cats were all like Lauryn is top 10. I think dudes were just sweet on her, and plus, like, singing. Nobody really claimed Wyclef or Pras could rap, but then, Pras doesn't deserve to have even a modest recording career. That dude is BOTB. And Clef shoulda stuck to producing. That jibaro hillside rasta shit is for the birds.

Pras belongs in any discussion of the worst well-known rappers ever.

• The Score def wins the prize for Album That Dudes With Only A Passing Attachment To Rap Claim Is A Masterpiece. It caused my early exit from many dorm rooms and house parties. Everything the Roots ever put out post-"Do You Want More" was shit and I've never seen a group so impressed with their own music and convinced of their own importance. The grand prize still goes to Mos Def's "Black On Both Sides" though. It's some pure unadulterated donkey ass. Bad beats and so much posturing but not a single classic song or memorable verse.

drbrownscelray said:
    The Score def wins the prize for Album That Dudes With Only A Passing Attachment To Rap Claim Is A Masterpiece.

See but the problem with how you've framed this is that sometimes they get it wrong, meaning sometimes they get it right (however accidentally).

"Album That Dudes With Only A Passing Attachment To Rap Claim Is A Masterpiece" could just as easily apply to Pauls Boutique or Bizarreride, both of which, in spite of their being championed by those with no rapp knowledge, are actually masterpieces.

*ducks and runs*

• drbrownscelray said:
    Album That Dudes With Only A Passing Attachment To Rap Claim Is A Masterpiece

even though I ride for it

"Blowout Comb"

PAUL'S BOUTIQUE

The_Non said:
    PAUL'S BOUTIQUE

this thread was bound from the jump to yield Illmatic and Pauls Boutique, in that order.

• BIZARRE RIDE TO THE PHARCYDE

• no seriously, explain to me how BIZARRE RIDE is a masterpiece.

I don't think Paul's Boutique is overrated.

rootlesscosmo said:
    The_Non said:
    PAUL'S BOUTIQUE

this thread was bound from the jump to yield Illmatic and Pauls Boutique, in that order.
    AND I DISLIKE DAVE DRAVECKY

jk
    Hugz