Most overrated rap record ever?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rishan said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Rishan said:

i don't think anyone said it yet: Ready to Die is extremely overrated.

I'm not a Biggie dude at all, but....NO WAY.

Some of y'all really missed the boat on how crucial some of these albums were at the time that they dropped. Ready to Die, Straight Outta Compton, Doggystyle...they aren't just collections of songs on records/cd's/tapes to be quantified, but prime cultural moments that put everyone (that mattered) on the same page of wonder and awe. And time doesn't just wipe that shit away.

Doggystyle and Compton, I'm with you all the way. Ready to Die is like the slightly dirtier, but still too polished Reasonable Doubt. it tries way too hard and doesn't deliver

While Reasonable Doubt was underground at best, Ready to Die was ubiquitous...and for good reason, as it did deliver time and time again at public outings with people in the know freaking over it left and right. Never saw Reasonable Doubt do anything of the sort.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Overratedness = Hype / Actual Worth

I missed this post. This is the perfect formula for figuring this out

• Fuck the "golden era" lets talk about shit people lose their panties over now.

my personal choice from my era?

&

and who could forget Pitchforks highest rated album of all time

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    I agree with you on Goblin. A plodding, nihilistic mess. It has it's charms but is a chore to listen to. The follow up is way better.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Liquid Swords is a great album. As a stand-alone album I don't think it's overrated.

But the fact that dude leans on that album (and very nearly solely on that album) as the basis for his entire superscientifical genius MC persona means the album is overweighted.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

my personal choice from my era?

Awwww man. That's my favorite Wu solo record. I know I'm supposed to say it's the Purple Tape, but I go back to Liquid Swords way more often.

A hearty on MBDTF, though.

• I really wanted to like that album and it has two good cuts in my opinion but a quick google search showed that it TOO is also in Pitchforks top 20 highest rated albums, of all genres, of all time. Thats fricking crazy IMO. #16.

How in the actual fuck does that happen?

b/w if it wasnt for red bull, scion and rock the bells that album could have rested in peace

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    it TOO is also in Pitchforks top 20 highest rated albums, of all genres, of all time. Thats fricking crazy IMO. #16.

Oh, I can't agree with that at all. And yeah, the RedScionBelling of it is way out of control. But I still dig it on its own merits. RZA was really in the zone with the beats on that joint.

• From last year, Good Kid Maad City.

• SP 1200 said:
    From last year, Good Kid Maad City.

DJ_Enki said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    it TOO is also in Pitchforks top 20 highest rated albums, of all genres, of all time. Thats fricking crazy IMO. #16.

Oh, I can't agree with that at all. And yeah, the RedScionBelling of it is way out of control. But I still dig it on its own merits. RZA was really in the zone with the beats on that joint.

dude tours the world performing the album "in its entirety."

definition of a one-trick pony; kinda sad.

great album, but no one warrants such an outsized rep/aura on the basis of one album.

(and yes I am aware that he also had verses on the group tapes, a couple guest shots, and that one farm animal song. but c'mon.)

• rootlesscosmo said:
    that one farm animal song

That was Project Blowed

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    The_Non said:
    PAUL'S BOUTIQUE

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    that one farm animal song

That was Project Blowed

lol. srsly anytime I ever mention how dude only has one album someone brings up "Animal Planet." great.

now if you could kindly upload the Kraken + Animal Farm joint, that would be fresh.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I have that Kraken somewheres.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i have to agree about liquid swords
    it gets higher praise than many wu records that are fa superior imo

speakerboxx is just a mess

2pac all eyez and life after def could have been skimmed down into a classic but they arent overhyped imo

we should do this for every music genre

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Herm said:
    I have that Kraken somewheres.

"Some don't even have a rewind, so I be fucking up their fast forward and eject buttons at the same time."

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Huge co-sign on Goblin. Most annoying shit I have heard in a minute. Good thing it was only $3 from the used bin

• overrated yes
    Jeru...premier made it good, but back then he almost got put in nas lyrical catergory, which is looneytunes
    Fear of a Black Planet...not even in the same conversation as Nation of millions
    Ready to Die....seems like the best shit didnt even make the album
    Tupac...all his shit. people act like we lost a prophet...mmm,not quite
    93 til...dope beats, rhymes were good. voices can get reeeeeeal irritating. "good feelin" is one of their dopest cuts anyway
    Tical...wassthat shit? didnt hold a candle to cubalinx. nowhere remotely close
    freestyle fellowship..innercity griots. dunno if it was ever actually well rated. but that shit was a lemon. video version of hot potato please
    the score...sum was greater than its parts. still very listenable if you pretend you dont know Wycleff is douchy. hardly a masterpiece.
    eminem...everything he did was pretty much in the soulsof mischief, good rhymes/annoying voice category. em is unlistenable for me

ok, ill contribute something that will get me tarred and feathered:
    Mecca and the Soul Brother. ...yes shit is niiiiice. looops are top choice. but i always had trouble listening to the whole thing. sowwweee

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    tripledouble said:

Mecca and the Soul Brother. ...yes shit is niiiiice. looops are top choice. but i always had trouble listening to the whole thing. sowwweee

Its not overrated though. Its a Classic.

• definitely not most overrated rap record ever, and its definitely classic, but i have heard it thrown around as best ever and a masterpiece. more my opinion than anything else, but that shit never got me that hyped (besides three or four tracks and the interludes)

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    tripledouble said:

This one took a while to grow on me. I think it was the overuse of Long Red. I feel like it's on every track. I mean he's got to have a million drums to choose from. I can only speak for myself though but for some reason his use of high hats are really prominent in the mix on some songs. But as a whole I don't think it's overrated at all. I feel he really came into his own though on INI, Deda, Soul Survivor, etc. I'd spin those way more often.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Gibbo said:
    tripledouble said:

This one took a while to grow on me. I think it was the overuse of Long Red. I feel like it's on every track. I mean he's got to have a million drums to choose from. I can only speak for myself though but for some reason his use of high hats are really prominent in the mix on some songs. But as a whole I don't think it's overrated at all. I feel he really came into his own though on INI, Deda, Soul Survivor, etc. I'd spin those way more often.

BAN

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    pretty obvious the only reason you guys are hating on THE SCORE is cause you got caught and called out for trying to front like you're down with Mount Zion.

• On the Straight Outta Compton tip, I've gone back and listened to efil4zaggiN a couple times in the last year, and holy shit... The production on that album blows my mind like I'm hearing it for the first time.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    All the Master P shit.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This entire thread hurts my widdle feewings aka tender berries.

• Grandfather said:
    Million times yes to Eminem and The Roots.

Add anything by J Dilla to that.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    batmon said:

BAN

I sort of knew when I was typing that I'd be hanging myself out to dry. I remember reading those World of Beats webpages years ago and how Phil rated Mecca as one of his favourite hip hop albums of all time and being bummed that I didn't like it more. That guy had pretty impeccable taste. I would still regard Mecca as a classic but I find myself playing his other productions more.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    gareth said:
    On the Straight Outta Compton tip, I've gone back and listened to efil4zaggiN a couple times in the last year, and holy shit... The production on that album blows my mind like I'm hearing it for the first time.

I'd agree. Production wise it's hard to beat. It's a pity they lost Cube and his writing at this point as there's less of a message on this one and it's filled with much more vitriol. But then again Death Certificate is a good counterpoint and it's production is stellar too. The West coast seemed to be churning them out at this point... Livin' Like Hustlas, O.G., Quik Is The Name, Straight Checkn 'Em, etc.