Innercity Griots

Boxcar Sessions

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    rap records that are not overrated:

Innercity Griots

Boxcar Sessions

Amen.

Although, you now have me scrambling to come up with valid reasons why I still rate Bizarre Ride so high, despite hardly listening to it the past 15 years.

• honest question.

I've listened to it umpteen million times. It's cool. I just don't get the fucking HEFT of it that makes people rate it so highly.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    does anyone still rate 93 til?

• PatrickCrazy said:

Yeah I rate that shit.

I fell out of love with it for a number of years, came back to it, and loved it so much it made me love their subsequent two records more.

"They" like that it's cutesy rap and thus a major step up from its obviously inferior step-cousin Stone Cold Rhymin'. Plus there's Passin' Me By on there.

PatrickCrazy said:

Yeah, I've been listening to that a bit the past few months. It's still great.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    drbrownscelray said:
    Everything the Roots ever put out post-"Do You Want More" was shit

I dunno...Illadelph/Halflife is the only one that has anything still worth listening to, I think. Not that I'm doing much of that. If you just lump the entire Roots discography into one record, it'd be in serious contention for the Most Overrated crown.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    no seriously, explain to me how BIZARRE RIDE is a masterpiece.

I don't think Paul's Boutique is overrated.

I ride for the production and the verses on Bizarreride. I ride kinda hard. I hold the songs up against anything from that era. hatt me.

And my point re: Paul's Boutique is not that it's overrated. It's that it's "Album That Dudes With Only A Passing Attachment To Rap Claim Is A Masterpiece" applies to it. And yet it's still dope.

what I was saying was that "Album That Dudes With Only A Passing Attachment To Rap Claim Is A Masterpiece" (drbrownscellray's formulation) does not really describe what we're trying to get at here, because it can (and does) capture albums that are actually great, like Paul's Boutique.

PatrickCrazy said:

hell yes.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    rap records that are not overrated:

Innercity Griots

Boxcar Sessions

different thread.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

I've listened to it umpteen million times. It's cool. I just don't get the fucking HEFT of it that makes people rate it so highly.

I think the high ratings are because it has good beats, it's "accessible" (i.e. non-threatening, non-militant, non-rappity-rap, non-whatever else scares people away from rap), and the overall vibe is silly and kinda fun.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Million times yes to Eminem and The Roots.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    no seriously, explain to me how BIZARRE RIDE is a masterpiece.

I don't think Paul's Boutique is overrated.

I ride for the production and the verses on Bizarreride. I ride kinda hard. I hold the songs up against anything from that era. hatt me.

And my point re: Paul's Boutique is not that it's overrated. It's that it's "Album That Dudes With Only A Passing Attachment To Rap Claim Is A Masterpiece" applies to it. And yet it's still dope.

what I was saying was that "Album That Dudes With Only A Passing Attachment To Rap Claim Is A Masterpiece" does not capture what we're trying to get at here, because it can (and does) capture albums that are actually great.

right but I think what the homie was saying is that it doesn't live up to the hype, where as Paul's Boutique does.

I'll revisit on your recommendation and will flame u bro if I don't agree (re Bizarre Ride)

I think Illmatic is really great but its rating has reached mythical levels over time and it hurts its reputation.

I stil ride for Illmatic but yeah, people gotta chill out on it.

"Album That Dudes With Only A Passing Attachment To Rap Claim Is A Masterpiece" (drbrownscellray's formulation) does not really describe what we're trying to get at here, because it can (and does) capture albums that are actually great, like Paul's Boutique.

alls I'm saying.

• Oh and we have not even discussed the peculiar sub-species of college dudes who think "Stakes Is High" is a masterpiece. That shit makes me want to tear my ears off. It should be called "Brilliant Poets Choose Complaining Over Poetry" and it should be illegal to like it more than the first 3 albums.

Oh, here's one: That Slum Village album.

drbrownscelray said:
    Oh and we have not even discussed the peculiar sub-species of college dudes who think "Stakes Is High" is a masterpiece. That shit makes me want to tear my ears off. It should be called "Brilliant Poets Choose Complaining Over Poetry" and it should be illegal to like it more than the first 3 albums.

I daresay you're among the minority of De La Fans who have not come around to at least a grudging respect for Stakes is High (following the requisite 1-5 yrs of hatt after it first dropped).

drbrownscelray said:
    "Stakes Is High"

Another yep.

• I'm confused about what "most over rated rap cover" means.... .but Midnight Marauders doesn't fit this category nor does Fear of a Black Planet. The Score , yes.

The winner is: Snoop Dogg (1st album especially)

the fuck?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    countmacula said:
    I'm confused about what "most over rated rap cover" means.... .but Midnight Marauders doesn't fit this category nor does Fear of a Black Planet. The Score , yes.

Is this a typo? We're not talking about album covers.

Doggystyle > Australia.

HarveyCanal said:
    Doggystyle > Australia.

Slow down son you killin' 'em.

DJ_Enki said:
    Oh, here's one: That Slum Village album.

I thought that album was rated correctly: terrible rappers and some great beats

• countmacula said:
    I'm confused about what "most over rated rap cover" means.... .but Midnight Marauders doesn't fit this category nor does Fear of a Black Planet. The Score , yes.

I feel strong Euroman vibes coming from your post. Doggystyle is classic by almost any conceivable metric.

Doggystyle > Australia + Austria.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    This thread could stray into dangerous territory

I'll cosign on the Roots.

I'll throw Straight Outta' Compton into the ring. The first three songs are certified classics but there's a bunch of filler on there imo. Do three songs make a classic album?