Most overrated rap record ever?

Comments

• Don't agree with Liquid Swords, it was one of my most played records by anyone around that time let alone Wu. 36 Chambers and Cuban Linx seemed to be held in slightly higher regard at the time.

Tical definitely. It was a league below all of the above for me and another example of how a having a big personality and distinctive voice can carry a rapper a bit further than they maybe deserve.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    SP 1200 said:

Tical definitely. It was a league below all of the above for me and another example of how a having a big personality and distinctive voice can carry a rapper a bit further than they maybe deserve.

Busta would fall into this category for me. I had big expectations for his first solo album based on the L.O.N.S. stuff and was pretty disappointed when I heard it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    SP 1200 said:

Method Man is actually the most talented rapper of the whole crew (with the possible exception of Ghostface) -- and always has been. The idea that his dopeness lies solely in his voice and persona is a very commonly-held misconception. But dead wrong.

As for Tical, I absolutely agree it's a 2nd tier Wu solo joint. That said, I seldom hear it held aloft as a classic *album* despite how dope the singles may have been, so I wouldn't say it's overrated. (I more often hear ODB's solo debut championed as an album.)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    No album that has this song on it could ever be overrated...

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I love Tical, it's aged really well I think. I never hear anyone talk about it or read anything about its supposed classic status. I don't think it's overrated.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I thought Tical was kind of underrated when it first came out but I think it had to do with how soon after 36 chambers it was released

The album is great but I've never regarded it as a classic. The best song on it are dam good

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When Tical came out, Method Man was one the hottest MCs out there. Bring The Pain was huge.
    And I recall debating w/ cats who owned it, that it wasnt as good as the praise it got, due to Meth and Wu worship at the time.
    Everybody played it and its was all over local radio. I also recall the Source giving it at least 3.5/4 mics.
    After Gravediggers & The Purple Tape came out, only the surefire hits lasted from Tical.
    Its a Classic still, being the first outta the Wu Camp, RZA early production, and Method showin his shit.
    Girls owned this album.

It was Overrated when it came out but over time its real position set into place.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Do You Want More is a straight up classic.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    (I more often hear ODB's solo debut championed as an album.)

Yeah, and I never understood that. I thought ODB was great on 36 Chambers, and "Brooklyn Zoo" was great,and really hyped me on getting the album, and so I bought the album when it dropped, and... :talib: It only had four things going for it:

1) "Brooklyn Zoo"

2) "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" (which I kind of became tired of)

3) "He wasn't from Panama/I asked him how he got so dark, the n***a said SUNTANAMA"

4) Shout out to Shorty Shit Stain in the liner notes

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    (I more often hear ODB's solo debut championed as an album.)

Yeah, and I never understood that. I thought ODB was great on 36 Chambers, and "Brooklyn Zoo" was great,and really hyped me on getting the album, and so I bought the album when it dropped, and... :talib: It only had four things going for it:

1) "Brooklyn Zoo"

2) "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" (which I kind of became tired of)

3) "He wasn't from Panama/I asked him how he got so dark, the n***a said SUNTANAMA"

4) Shout out to Shorty Shit Stain in the liner notes

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Best ODB solo track ever...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    First ODB solo LP is pretty much the best album ever. this dude is tripping balls.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Wow. This thread is so full of win.

I agree with 90% of stuff raised here. digable planets indeed. and hell yeah to jay z the roots and fugees albums sucking ass

Pauls Boutique, Illmatic, Bizarre Ride, Doggystyle, Livin' Proof, Ready 2 Die, FOABP, Mecca atsb and Sun Rises are all still *ETERNAL CLASSICS* imo impossible to call these overrated they all gave birth to more groups & rappers than the number of songs on em

Tical is a great album and in no way overrated. Method Man was the undisputed KONY when it dropped.

to the dude(s?) who brought up Straight Outta Compton. Leave Rap alone.
    to the dude talmbout just the first three tracks, I give you track number 4.

and then this...

with a baseball cap thats black that im wearing
    and a look that keeps you all staring
    and wondering
    why im invincible

:walk_away_son:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    in high school i would sneak out to go to all the Square Roots shows but i later realized i really don't like their music. i'm a terrible philadelphian for saying that. i know. sorry.
    but i will give them this classic, especially the Lesson Part 3

how the f does midnight marauders get put up for discussion? that is the electric ladyland to my 1993 i can't understand the lack of love front to back.

Long Live The Kane has 2 poopy tracks on it, to bring the discussion back to it's intended direction.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    batmon said:
    When Tical came out, Method Man was one the hottest MCs out there. Bring The Pain was huge.
    And I recall debating w/ cats who owned it, that it wasnt as good as the praise it got, due to Meth and Wu worship at the time.
    Everybody played it and its was all over local radio. I also recall the Source giving it at least 3.5/4 mics.
    After REDACTED & The Purple Tape came out, only the surefire hits lasted from Tical.
    Its a Classic still, being the first outta the Wu Camp, RZA early production, and Method showin his shit.
    Girls owned this album.

It was Overrated when it came out but over time its real position set into place.

AKallDay said:

Long Live The Kane has 2 poopy tracks on it, to bring the discussion back to it's intended direction.

nah this doesn't bring it back; no body overrates that album.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Agree that the Roots' entire discography is overrated, but they still put on a helluva live show.

If it hasn't been said before, anything Tupac/Too Short/E-40 related is overrated.

Illmatic and Midnight Marauders are holy grails of rap and unfuckwittable -- definitely not overrated.

Ready to Die is overrated when considered in light of Life After Death, which may be a better, cohesive album.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    AKallDay said:

nah this doesn't bring it back; no body overrates that album.

exactly, it's a masterpiece. it was a convoluted way of saying that this thread has a lot of fog in it.

• DISCUSS

phongone said:
    E-40 is overrated.

right. one of the most gifted rappers in history, who's more-often-than-not written off as a regional oddity and has never gotten the serious respect he deserves outside of certain limited circles, is somehow over-rated.

and the fact that you basically write off his entire body of work, rather than call out a specific album (which is, after all, the topic of the thread), raises the question as to whether you've ever even heard one of his tapes at all.

this thread has become doo-doo.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    You sir are a NorCal apologist.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Wow. This thread is so full of win.

I agree with 90% of stuff raised here. digable planets indeed. and hell yeah to jay z the roots and fugees albums sucking ass

Pauls Boutique, Illmatic, Bizarre Ride, Doggystyle, Livin' Proof, Ready 2 Die, FOABP, Mecca atsb and Sun Rises are all still *ETERNAL CLASSICS* imo impossible to call these overrated they all gave birth to more groups & rappers than the number of songs on em

Tical is a great album and in no way overrated. Method Man was the undisputed KONY when it dropped.

to the dude(s?) who brought up Straight Outta Compton. Leave Rap alone.
    to the dude talmbout just the first three tracks, I give you track number 4.

and then this...

with a baseball cap thats black that im wearing
    and a look that keeps you all staring
    and wondering
    why im invincible

:walk_away_son:

Ha, ha, I'll retract that statement so. I still feel that some of the tracks don't hit as hard as others. But yeah I'll concede it's a classic.

P.S. not to be pedantic but Gangsta, Gangsta is in fact track 3. It was one of the ones I was talking about.

phongone said:
    Illmatic and Midnight Marauders are holy grails of rap and unfuckwittable -- definitely not overrated..

Youve just proven the thread's point.

4YearGraduate said:
    DISCUSS

Lets Not.

Its not in this discussion.

And I ride.

Overrated

• batmon said:

Overrated

I love this album, and agree.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    phongone said:
    Agree that the Roots' entire discography is overrated, but they still put on a helluva live show.

haha holy shit no

two hours of some stupid ass noisy wanking on stage noise with even bigger earnest wankers on the floor rubbing their chins raw a la african studies 101 + deep library records knowing head nods and living out their mother's warning "your face is going to stay that way!" from pursing their lips and squeezing their eyes shut in jamrap fuck faces. oh hell nah.
    hey bassie, what's your personal hell?
    oh hi, thanks for asking. that would be watching the roots live where the bar has nothing to drink but coolers and coors and being squeezed in between sour ass sour faced big hoop earrings GFs who just tagged along for the weed and to say they did with midnight marauders playing over the system in-between sets.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    phongone said:
    anything Too Short related is overrated.

Too Short is one of the most underrated, low-profile, play-the-back rappers ever.........

.........................and "Life is...." is a stone cold classic.

• probably not most overrated, but they should be mentioned because they all blow.