Most overrated rap record ever?

Comments

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Gibbo said:

I'll throw Straight Outta' Compton into the ring.

B.U.G.G.I.N.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    batmon said:
    jlee said:

Livin Proof is Straight Outta Crapville - that shit was a great instrumental album that got accidentally rapped over.

its the questionable rapping that actually makes it work.

don't make me hit your mom in the head with a metal pipe

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    drbrownscelray said:
    Not really a rap record but I kinda never got the fuss over D'Angelo's "Voodoo". Other than Devil's Pie it all sounded identical and structure-less. I like some songs in my r&b. But a ton of people who I think have good taste ride for this shit.

Interestingly enough, Rick Rubin said in a recent interview regarding Voodoo: "I dont think a better album has been made since then. That???s as good as it gets.???

http://www.vmagazine.com/site/content/145/heroes-rick-rubin

In my very humble opinion, I think it's incredible and worth all the praise. Give it another shot!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    36 Chambers????

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    72 Chambers????
    2x poast

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I agree with the Group Home. "Like a rattle snake, but I don't rattle". "Should I jump off the roof?". :-S

jlee said:
    36 Chambers????

This one deserves the worship it gets (I could do without without the torture skit and a couple of others), but Bulletproof Wallets and a lot of Method Man stuff doesn't impress me. I don't know how well the streetz still regards them more than ten years later, though.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Doggystyle > Australia + Austria + Austin

Fixed ;)

jlee said:
    batmon said:
    jlee said:

Livin Proof is Straight Outta Crapville - that shit was a great instrumental album that got accidentally rapped over.

its the questionable rapping that actually makes it work.

don't make me hit your mom in the head with a metal pipe

:comedy_gold:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    eggplant xanadu

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

:holygrail:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    bassie said:
    The Roots
    all of it

Vraiment? 95% of it is meh, but "Proceed" is head-noddable.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Oui, mon ami.
    Any act has at least one song which is anywhere from listenable to interesting to incredibly good, but it's hard to rate it or care when the rest of their contributions are anywhere from overwhelmingly annoying to boring to like squirrels jumping up and down on my last nerve.
    All of it!

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    oh, god yes on Mos Def. and Talib Kweli. that whole Black Star (and Black on Both Sides) record was hailed as some second coming. the thing is absolute rubbish, and everything they've put out since those first 12"s. in the UK at the time you could hardly hear a word said against this pair of charlatans.

i don't think anyone said it yet: Ready to Die is extremely overrated.

• Have to agree with The Roots they seemed to have rode their luck a bit with the instrument playing niche that they have. Never got into them and thought their album from last year was pretty grim.

Eminem should go without saying but I've seen him mentioned in lists of rappers who are very flattering company for him. Again, having a niche (whiny white boy rap) has done him no harm at all.

Midnight Marauders should never have been mentioned here in my opinion, possibly alongside Illmatic although when it's regularly mentioned as THE greatest hip hop album it was always gonna make an appearance I guess.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rishan said:

Extremely?

I dont think its gets too over praised.

SP 1200 said:
    Midnight Marauders should never have been mentioned here in my opinion, possibly alongside Illmatic although when it's regularly mentioned as THE greatest hip hop album it was always gonna make an appearance I guess.

MM didnt make the SS Top 100 yet........And it lost the VS thread.

• batmon said:
    SP 1200 said:

MM didnt make the SS Top 100 yet........And it lost the VS thread.

Seems to be regarded on here as Tribe's second best album so I didn't think it was particularly overrated.

• Obviously the 12"s are all time classics but this is always the album entered in a best ever chart. It has inferior mixes, filler and doo doo DJ tracks on there.

I think Eric B And Rakim got better with each album and peaked with 'Don't Sweat The Technique'.

Rustledust said:

Obviously the 12"s are all time classics but this is always the album entered in a best ever chart..

In the 90's it was but I havent seen that placed on a G.O.A.T. list in a long long time.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    drbrownscelray said:
    Oh and we have not even discussed the peculiar sub-species of college dudes who think "Stakes Is High" is a masterpiece. That shit makes me want to tear my ears off. It should be called "Brilliant Poets Choose Complaining Over Poetry" and it should be illegal to like it more than the first 3 albums.

How dare you...I'll have you know that LP was the soundtrack to a glorious post-8th grade summer of mine...

Blasphemy, sir.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rishan said:

I'm not a Biggie dude at all, but....NO WAY.

Some of y'all really missed the boat on how crucial some of these albums were at the time that they dropped. Ready to Die, Straight Outta Compton, Doggystyle...they aren't just collections of songs on records/cd's/tapes to be quantified, but prime cultural moments that put everyone (that mattered) on the same page of wonder and awe. And time doesn't just wipe that shit away.

HarveyCanal said:
    Rishan said:

Some of y'all really missed the boat on how crucial some of these albums were at the time that they dropped. Ready to Die, Straight Outta Compton, Doggystyle...they aren't just collections of songs on records/cd's/tapes to be quantified, but prime cultural moments that put everyone (that mattered) on the same page of wonder and awe. And time doesn't just wipe that shit away.

"The Chronic isnt that good after Deez Nuts"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Grandfather said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Oh, here's one: That Slum Village album.

I thought that album was rated correctly: terrible rappers and some great beats

It was at first, but then Dilla died, and his stans rechristened that album The Greatest Thing Ever Produced By Mere Mortals.

Somewhere a cargo-short, New Balance, and Jay Dee Saved My Life t-shirt-wearing 30-year-old white guy just added DJ Enki to his people to kill list.

2Pac All Eyez On Me

Oh no I better run for shelter in the Opera House ;)

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    jlee said:

BTW, Livin Proof is Straight Outta Crapville - that shit was a great instrumental album that got accidentally rapped over.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Every album that has received a litany of high praise, but which I don't personally get enjoyment out of, is overrated.

There, that should cover it.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    facesd said:
    Gibbo said:

I'll throw Straight Outta' Compton into the ring.

B.U.G.G.I.N.

Like I said first three songs are classic but overall I think there's some filler on there. I guess the great stuff on there is classic enough to carry the whole thing though. I guess I brought it up just to ruffle some feathers

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Rishan said:

Doggystyle and Compton, I'm with you all the way. Ready to Die is like the slightly dirtier, but still too polished Reasonable Doubt. it tries way too hard and doesn't deliver

• DB_Cooper said:
    jlee said:

BTW, Livin Proof is Straight Outta Crapville - that shit was a great instrumental album that got accidentally rapped over.

No, it has been carved in stone that the Nutcracker is an accidental genius on this record. :walk_away_son: