Most overrated rap record ever?

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Oh, here's one: That Slum Village album.

I thought that album was rated correctly: terrible rappers and some great beats

It was at first, but then Dilla died, and his stans rechristened that album The Greatest Thing Ever Produced By Mere Mortals.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Gibbo said:

I'll throw Straight Outta' Compton into the ring. The first three songs are certified classics but there's a bunch of filler on there imo. Do three songs make a classic album?

C'mon now. No filler on there whatsoever, including Something 2 Dance 2.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Yes to the Roots. Technically proficient, but their albums leave me cold.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Blowout Comb > Austria.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Grandfather said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Oh, here's one: That Slum Village album.

I thought that album was rated correctly: terrible rappers and some great beats

It was at first, but then Dilla died, and his stans rechristened that album The Greatest Thing Ever Produced By Mere Mortals.

The whole religion should be called into question.

• Not really a rap record but I kinda never got the fuss over D'Angelo's "Voodoo". Other than Devil's Pie it all sounded identical and structure-less. I like some songs in my r&b. But a ton of people who I think have good taste ride for this shit.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    does anyone still rate 93 til?

Yeah I rate that shit.

I fell out of love with it for a number of years, came back to it, and loved it so much it made me love their subsequent two records more.

This came up a little while back when HC made that (really good) thread about how Domino was an underrated producer. I had shelved '93 Til Infinity for years because the title track had become such a horrible DJing cliche, but that thread got me to go back and listen to the whole album again, and it really is fantastic.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    An obvious choice but for me it's illmatic.
    We have debated this record many times on here over the years, many rate it right up there, a few (like myself) think its a good album but far from one of our favourites, what i find intersting is you never hear anyone say they dislike it.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Gibbo said:

I'll throw Straight Outta' Compton into the ring. The first three songs are certified classics but there's a bunch of filler on there imo. Do three songs make a classic album?

C'mon now. No filler on there whatsoever, including Something 2 Dance 2.

It sort of lags in the middle for me. Something Like That, Compton's In The House, I Ain't The One...

But I did admit to liking Blowout Combs in the other thread so that probably nullifies any opinions I may have ;)

DJ_Enki said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    does anyone still rate 93 til?

Yeah I rate that shit.

I fell out of love with it for a number of years, came back to it, and loved it so much it made me love their subsequent two records more.

This came up a little while back when HC made that (really good) thread about how Domino was an underrated producer. I had shelved '93 Til Infinity for years because the title track had become such a horrible DJing cliche, but that thread got me to go back and listen to the whole album again, and it really is fantastic.

I don't need to hear the title track ever again; production is obv. great but so are the verses, concepts, etc.; Domino is sick; Fear Itself and No Need for Alarm have crazy heat.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    as a casual listener I can attest that Illmatic is the most overrated rap record ever. I don't think anything else could even come close given the kind of hype it regularly gets.

right I mean if:

Overratedness = Hype / Actual Worth

then Illmatic takes it (no matter how great its Actual Worth) because the Hype approaches infinity.

• Sun Rises In The East

?

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Sun Rises In The East

?

Let's throw in Livin' Proof while we're at it...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

"Blowout Comb"

Trash

• Gibbo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Sun Rises In The East

?

no. that record is amazing

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Sun Rises In The East

?

raise your hand if you've played THAT shit in the last 10 yrs...

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Sun Rises In The East

?

[Sheepishly raises hand] Honestly, the beats are still fucking incredible but I dunno how anyone ever gave Jeru a pass as being even an okay rapper.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Gibbo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Sun Rises In The East

?

no. that record is amazing

I was only fucking around, I actually cherish them both dearly :-)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Sun Rises In The East

?

Nah....its a Classic, Not a Masterpiece, and not thrown out as some Barometer.

Str8 Outta Compton is NOT overrated.

The old school back and forth between Ren and Dre was on some Throwback shit before it was a staple. Even if it doesnt have the same "anger" as the hits. I Aint the One is the shit and is far from filler. Sheeit the album has "Dance" trax.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Sun Rises In The East

?

all the time

Mental Stamina > Sydney

ayo ayo ayo Australia, Austria, Australopithecus / I'm sick with this / you'd need a Blowout Comb to even pick this

#lyricstogo

Afu-Ra > Austria

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Sun Rises In The East

?

The old school back and forth between Ren and Dre was on some Throwback shit before it was a staple. Even if it doesnt have the same "anger" as the hits. I Aint the One is the shit and is far from filler. Sheeit the album has "Dance" trax.

IMO the first three tracks hit so hard that the rest can't possibly match them so they just end up sounding a little lacklustre in comparison. I think it'd be hard to match that intensity over a whole album though. The production on Something Like That and Compton's In The House also feels a little rudimentary in comparison to some of the others.

Gibbo said:
    batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Sun Rises In The East

?

IMO the first three tracks hit so hard that the rest can't possibly match them so they just end up sounding a little lacklustre in comparison. I think it'd be hard to match that intensity over a whole album though. The production on Something Like That and Compton's In The House also feels a little rudimentary in comparison to some of the others.

^^^Parental Discretion is Advised...Advised.....advised.....advised......advised.......advised......advised.....advised......advised.......adadvised.....advised......advised.......adadvised.....advised......advised.......adadvised.....advised......advised.......adadvised.....advised......advised.......adadvised.....advised......advised.......adadvised.....advised......advised.......adadvised.....advised......advised.......adadvised.....advised......advised.......adadvised.....advised......advised.......ad..........................^^^^^

drbrownscelray said:
    Not really a rap record but I kinda never got the fuss over D'Angelo's "Voodoo". Other than Devil's Pie it all sounded identical and structure-less. I like some songs in my r&b. But a ton of people who I think have good taste ride for this shit.

Buggin'

• Soooo...is this thread about overrated rap albums or overrated rap albums from 1988-1994? :p

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Fear Of A Black Planet isn't overrated

THIS is overrated

This is the correct answer.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    And the answer(s) are:
    Stankonia
    The Black Album
    any Roots album ever (does anyone really rate them anyway?)

Good calls:
    Fear of a Black Planet
    Bizarre Ride
    Stakes is High
    anything ever from slum village

Y'all Buggin:
    illmatic
    ATLiens
    Ridin Dirty
    Str8 outta Compton

BTW, Livin Proof is Straight Outta Crapville - that shit was a great instrumental album that got accidentally rapped over.

jlee said:

Livin Proof is Straight Outta Crapville - that shit was a great instrumental album that got accidentally rapped over.

its the questionable rapping that actually makes it work.