$15/hr for fast food work

Comments

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    watch out bro, they're coming for your manor

Just release the hounds!

• handmade_tortillas said:
    I had a big mac, large coca cola and fries at the local mc-donald's down the street. I really enjoyed this trio and tipped the employee and extra buck. it's the least I can do expecially during these times when they want a pay raise.

Accepting a tip will get a McD's employee fired.

Oops!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Jean-ClaudeBanDamned said:
    handmade_tortillas said:
    I had a big mac, large coca cola and fries at the local mc-donald's down the street. I really enjoyed this trio and tipped the employee and extra buck. it's the least I can do expecially during these times when they want a pay raise.

Oops!

Is that what happened to you?

• sabadabada said:
    handmade_tortillas said:

Oops!

I never had the pleasure of working in one of those shitholes.

I hear you used to be in charge of jack sauce, though.

• shitholes

nice

• What's a reasonable wage for handmade tortillas?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    handmade_tortillas said:

Oops!

I never had the pleasure of working in one of those shitholes.

I hear you used to be in charge of jack sauce, though.

No, but I was in charge of your mom's tuna taco.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    shitholes

nice

The hyphen ruins it.

(Laughing that you edited the hyphen out. Well played.)

• sabadabada said:
    No, but I was in charge of your mom's tuna taco.

You just made some Strutters faint.

• Irony on the food chain:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-06/mcdonald-s-franchisees-go-rogue-with-meetings.html

"Store operators say the company, looking to improve its bottom line, is increasingly charging them too much to operate their restaurants -- including rent, remodeling and fees for training and software. The rising costs are making franchisees, who operate almost 90 percent of the chain???s more than 14,100 U.S. locations, less likely to open new restaurants and refurbish them, potentially constraining sales.

McDonald???s is ???doing everything they can to shift costs to operators,??? said Kathryn Slater-Carter, who in June joined other franchisees in Stockton, California, to brainstorm ways of getting the chain to lessen the cost burden. ???Putting too much focus on Wall Street is not a good thing in the long run."

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Ive eaten lots of fast food (very little in the last year) and they almost always seem to get my order 100% correct.
    Its rare when they mess it up. Those stores are set up to run fast as hell and they make it really hard for the employees to mess up.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Everything is relative.....Australia has the third highest cost of living on the planet only behind Norway and Switzerland.

Many everyday items like jeans and liquor are two to three times more expensive down under than here in the U.S.

No one is moving to Australia to make that fast food cash.

• Rockadelic said:
    Everything is relative.....Australia has the third highest cost of living on the planet only behind Norway and Switzerland.

Many everyday items like jeans and liquor are two to three times more expensive down under than here in the U.S.

No one?

"Mr Bowen said Australia was proud of its humanitarian commitment ??? resettling the third largest number of refugees of any country and more refugees, per capita, than any other nation in the world."

http://www.chrisbowen.net/media-centre/media-releases.do?newsId=6142

Maybe none of them end up making fries, but I'll bet they appreciate that minimum wages there are set at a humane level.

Rockadelic said:

No one?

"Mr Bowen said Australia was proud of its humanitarian commitment ??? resettling the third largest number of refugees of any country and more refugees, per capita, than any other nation in the world."

Maybe none of them end up making fries, but I'll bet they appreciate that minimum wages there are set at a humane level.

According to the U.N. 213 million people leave their countries every year.....and Australia takes in 13,000 refugees a year....and that is supposed significant in some way......an immigrant and a refugee are not he same thing....nice try though.

B/W

What good is a "humane" wage if you have an "inhumane" cost of living?

• Rockadelic said:
    Rockadelic said:

No one?

According to the U.N. 213 million people leave their countries every year.....and Australia takes in 13,000 refugees a year....and that is supposed significant in some way......an immigrant and a refugee are not he same thing....nice try though.

B/W

What good is a "humane" wage if you have an "inhumane" cost of living?

Which place do you suppose has a lower rate of poverty - Australia or the US?

That's one what good it is.

By the way, most places with high costs of living are like that because it's worth it. A high standard of living almost invariably accompanies that high cost. But then you know that.

As for the refugee/immigrant distinction, your initial post just said "move." I'm fairly sure refugees have to move. You might have other ideas.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

• Horseleech said:
    Mike_Bell said:
    $15 is fair, if the you're working 40 hrs per week. Should be enough to cover rent, utilities, groceries and transportation costs (depending on where you live).

Except that at this wage nobody would get anywhere near 40 hours.

There's a large box type store opening here on Cape Cod, they're advertising 120 jobs and not a single one of them full time.

wait you are from the cape?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    amphibious said:
    Horseleech said:
    Mike_Bell said:
    $15 is fair, if the you're working 40 hrs per week. Should be enough to cover rent, utilities, groceries and transportation costs (depending on where you live).

Except that at this wage nobody would get anywhere near 40 hours.

There's a large box type store opening here on Cape Cod, they're advertising 120 jobs and not a single one of them full time.

wait you are from the cape?

No, though I've spent a good portion of my life on the Cape and have family (t)here. Right now I split my time between NYC and Wellfleet. You?

Strike in effect

Mickey D's pullin' for amnesty.

Bunch of $8.00 an hour making folks about to be $0.00 an hour making folks.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    sabadabada said:

no bullshit - but this is the direction jobs like this will take if companies are "forced" to manage higher compensation costs. Technology is always the final frontier in looking to optimize a job function (i.e. not spend money on people)

people go to fast food joints primarily for cheap food, not for good food. If my McRobot can make 500 burgers an hour, then you best believe those who own stores will look into technology advancements to trim costs. Shit...they'd do it regardless if they increased the minimum wage, so you better believe it will only accelerate if the company is coerced into paying for higher salary costs.

I don't pretend to suggest that the income gap between the have and have-nots isn't of grave concern, and that "working" wages leave much do be desired in our country, but forcing private companies to abide by populist rules typically back fires in the end. Not sure what the answer is, but I guarantee you that no one is going to McDonalds for a $10 burger and a $5 shake - regardless of how well the employee is paid. It's not the companies model, and the consumers don't want it to be.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Posted earlier, but it seems this needs to be reiterated.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/07/price-of-big-mac-could-rise-by-68-cents-if-minimum-wage-doubles/

"Morelix created financial models based on McDonald???s annual reports and investor data. He estimated that paying workers $15 an hour could raise the price of a Big Mac to $4.67 from $3.99, as first reported by Forbes. A Big Mac meal would jump to $6.66 from $5.69, and McDonald???s Dollar Menu would go to $1.17, Forbes reported."

No one would be paying $10 for a burger at the Mick.

#2 w/ cheese.

Rockadelic said:
    Strike in effect

Which would be a blunder of epic proportions on the part of the Clown.

• Bon Vivant said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Strike in effect

Which would be a blunder of epic proportions on the part of the Clown.

Doesn't matter, the Clown is management, and Rock always supports the Boss.

Right-wingers have been predicting the Death Of All Low Wage Jobs since the minute after the minimum wage was conceived. That it hasn't happened yet is just more evidence for them that somehow, someday, it will happen. Because despite all of the many long years of accrued evidence to the contrary, they know it's an immutable economic law that it is impossible to get a raise and still keep your job.

• Bon Vivant said:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/07/price-of-big-mac-could-rise-by-68-cents-if-minimum-wage-doubles/

"Morelix created financial models based on McDonald???s annual reports and investor data. He estimated that paying workers $15 an hour could raise the price of a Big Mac to $4.67 from $3.99, as first reported by Forbes. A Big Mac meal would jump to $6.66 from $5.69, and McDonald???s Dollar Menu would go to $1.17, Forbes reported."

It should also be pointed out that all of these low-wage paying businesses are perhaps the biggest moochers in the entire country. They count on their workers getting SNAP benefits and state health care and so forth in order to subsidize the crappy wages they pay. Your Big Mac already costs more than you think it does - you're just paying for it in other ways.

Bon Vivant said:

Do you think if you post this bullshit enough times it will become fact?

1) This "study" was an "estimate" by a student who could not be reached for comment(per your link)

2) It was retracted within 24 hours as "faulty"

Update: We originally published a post based a story published by The Huffington Post, which has since been redacted.

As McDonald's workers strike for higher pay, HuffPo published a study purportedly from a University of Kansas researcher who estimated that if McDonald's doubled employee pay, the cost of Big Macs would go up just 68 cents.

The study was based on faulty information, and didn't account for McDonald's franchises, which make up 80% of locations. The author of the study was actually an undergraduate student, not a researcher. Taking franchises into account, the cost of a Big Mac would exceed $5. For more information, check out HuffPo.

It should also be pointed out that all of these low-wage paying businesses are perhaps the biggest moochers in the entire country. They count on their workers getting SNAP benefits and state health care and so forth in order to subsidize the crappy wages they pay. Your Big Mac already costs more than you think it does - you're just paying for it in other ways.

Exactly.

Do you think if you post this bullshit enough times it will become fact?]

I've posted it once.

Have you looked up the word "if", yet? I see you're still asshurt from yesterday.

Also, still waiting for you to name the crime from that massive IRS scandal.

Thanks!

p.s., thanks for pointing out that the story was incorrect. I was unaware of that.

Here's a more recent evaluation....

http://peoplesworld.org/if-mcdonald-s-workers-get-a-raise-would-a-big-mac-cost-more/

The study by Morelix has brought additional negative attention to the fast-food behemoth.

The study concludes that McDonald's could "double the salaries" of its employees to $15 an hour by increasing the price of its Big Mac by 68 cents and the Dollar Menu by 17 cents.

One detractor, Ryan Chittum, of the Columbia Journalism Review, believes there are "serious problems" with Morelix's study.

Chittum says the study uses bad math, and does not distinguish between company-operated McDonald's restaurants and franchises. Chittum writes, "More than 80 percent of McDonald's restaurants are franchises, and the company makes scads of money from them in no small part because it has no direct labor expense at those stores."

In company-operated stores, Chittum argues, "a Big Mac would, in fact, have to go up by a full dollar, not 68 cents, in order to double wages at McDonald's. And the Dollar Menu would have to become the Dollar Twenty-Five Menu."

Morelix says he's "surprised by the controversy," as the model he used "is pretty basic and straightforward."

While he acknowledges that his study has certain limitations, Morelix said the main point "is very clear, that prices would NOT double if cost [from raising wages] doubled." He said his "whole goal" was to "clarify this one specific issue, which isn't being discussed."

The controversy is surprising, as even Chittum admits the Dollar Menu would only become the Dollar Twenty-Five Menu - Morelix was off by a mere 8 cents. His main point still holds. Prices would NOT double if wages were doubled, which is what McDonald's and other forces opposed to raising the minimum wage claim.

In fact, Morelix created three different models, something Chittum ignores. The first model looks at all McDonald's restaurants. The second looks at corporate-owned stores only. And the third is a franchise only model.

"I made a judgment call," he said. "Given a certain set of circumstances, the model assumes profits and quantity sold would stay constant, and if so, then price would increase by 17 cents. It's an interpretation, a hypothetical simulation under very specific circumstances, a snapshot."

Still no $10 burger.

Sorry, Rock.

p.s, it's seems the retractions you posted are inaccurate, Rock. Do you think posting the same bullshit enough times make it fact?