Sanpellegrino Blood Orange

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
i just discovered these shits and they are fucking amazing!! best soft drink out there. figured it deserves its own thread since we don't talk too much about music here these days . who else is down with the blood orange?

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I thought people were all about the chinotto

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    These are good, but the Chinotto is the shit:

Only seen the bottles in the US.

• i have never heard/seen chinotto....interest piqued!! what is it like?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i have never heard/seen chinotto....interest piqued!! what is it like?

Less sweet, slightly bitter. Super thirst-quenching.

Most soda is way too sweet for me, so this is more my style.

EDIT: This inspired me to go across the street and grab one - I forgot that there are herbs in here too. It's like an aperitif.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    chinotto is delicious, I love the aranciata, but yes, the chinotto is the bomb.
    think Brio, less gross and more delicious.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I was just drinking Blood Orange and Gin last night!! I also get my Limonata + spiced rum on. Both are a bit sweet, but great mixers in a pinch!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The limonata was a huge let down, it tastes like cleaner smells.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Made cocktails with this stuff on July 4th.

Delish!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    they got the botles in quebec

for me pompelmo (grapefruit) is the best..blood orange is a touch too sweet
    deifnelty the only 'soft drink' i fux wit

for a drink with bitterness

italian mist
    ungava gin+grapefruit slice+splash of fernet and pompelmo peligrino

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    bassie said:
    The limonata was a huge let down, it tastes like cleaner smells.

• Ive been drinking these like crazy lately. So refreshing! havent seen that chinotto one in montreal yet, PCMR have you?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Blood Orange Pelle is my shit...with Grapefruit second.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I cook at a little Italian restaurant, so I've been on the Blood Orange Pelle bandwagon for a minute. It's good with a scoop of vanilla gelato, as well.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    No doubt, of the three flavors i've tried, lime, lemon, and a different orange flavor, blood is the shit.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    No doubt, of the three flavors i've tried, lime, lemon, and a different orange flavor, blood is the shit.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    batmon said:
    Blood Orange Pelle is my shit...with Grapefruit second.

Blood Orange is wife's favorite.
    Grapefruit is mine.
    Both are regulars in our fridge.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive mixed it with vodka but it doesnt really work...

Ill add a spash of it to my vodka and whatever citrus , to add some sparkle/fizz.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Yes! San Pellegrino is my shit! Re-upped on the Blood Orange and Lemon yesterday. We can only get those two and normal Orange here I think. I've heard of the Chinotto before but didn't know they did all the other flavours.

The foil on the lid makes it a more classy juice compared to other soft drink cans but sometimes I don't know what to do with it once it's off.. two trips to the bin for one drink? Get out.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    These are good, but the Chinotto is the shit:

i often have one mid way through a long ride in summer

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    KidProcrass said:
    Ive been drinking these like crazy lately. So refreshing! havent seen that chinotto one in montreal yet, PCMR have you?

its not the most popular but its there

go to little italy you can probably buy a case

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    yeah I totally ride for these, we buy that shit in boxes from Costco....and it is pretty dope mixed with drinks!

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    the sodas are great, but regular san p mineral water in the green bottle is my true love. it's my cure for an upset stomach and the sulfur is good for your heart. also great to top off some rye

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Grapefruit is easily the best. Those who havent fusked with it....need to

Chinotto is not for me

• If you like that you should try the Q brand Gingerale.
    Super tasty. I recommend the whole line honestly.
    They have a grapefruit, lemon, kola, etc.. My favorite
    lately has been there Tonic. It kills.
    Attached files

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    cove said:

Chinotto is not for me
    I guess this is because Chinotto is a bit like Marmite - you either love it or hate it. As I always have it in my house and offer it to people, I'd say the nay-sayers are 10-20% but 80-90% love it and ask for it the next time they come around to my place.

I have been a Chinotto fan for 30-plus years, since my first trip to Italy. In Italy there are soooo many different Chinotto brands (including Coca-Cola's "Fanta Chinotto") with some available only in specific regions and with a lot of different qualities. San Pellegrino is just about the only one you can get without much hassle in the UK, but (unless you buy online) you still have to go to Italian deli shops, which is odd considering that their water and all the other flavours are on the shelves at Tesco and other super markets. I have repeatedly asked the soft drink buyers in the super markets to stock it but they claim they can't get it.
    I usually get it in cans in the UK and after the design change from brown to black-red last year I am certain that S. Pellegrino changed the recipe earlier this year. Unfortunately this was NOT an improvement.

The blood orange San Pellegrino has been a huge disappointment. Much to sweet for me. I like my drinks zesty and this is anything but. I don't think I need a soda made from it anyway. I love blood oranges and blood orange juice. The juice is hard to get in the UK (unlike in Germany for example) but the fruit seems to be virtually unknown here. I don't think that in almost 20 years in the UK I have ever found a fruit grocer who had it.

BTW: Did you know Chinotto has it's own song?
    Pop version:

Samba Reggae version:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    I was just drinking Blood Orange and Gin last night!! I also get my Limonata + spiced rum on. Both are a bit sweet, but great mixers in a pinch!!

was drinking Limonata and Gin every day two weeks ago, such a great thirst quencher in hot weather...

• usernameusername 71 Posts
    i enjoy some vin ever now and then when I need to concentrate and get some work done.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I like fanta lemon and pineapple a lot, lemon I see overseas, and pineapple is only rarely seen in Toronto.

also a big fan of boylan's black cherry.

also been drinking a lot of TAS coconut water (100% coconut water) of late, cop it in Chinatown. Fuck $3 whitey brand coconut waters.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    i just discovered these shits and they are fucking amazing!! best soft drink out there. figured it deserves its own thread since we don't talk too much about music here these days . who else is down with the blood orange?

I imagine it's great with vodka!

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    pomplemousse & chinotto. that is all.