egypt

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Frank said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:

...civilization spread from Egypt to Greece and from there to Rome. From there it spread to the barbarian hordes of Western Europe.

It was Pythagoras who first introduced music theory into Europe after having been initiated in the Egyptian Mystery cults.

You call it civilization, I call it the mid-eastern plague.

The mid-eastern plague? Not saying you're a racist but usually that's terminology used by islamophobes or anti-semites.

Unless you refer to the spread of Christianity, I could agree on that.

I commonly refer to both, Christianity and Islam as the mid-eastern plagues. If you look at the cultural and spiritual damage and genocides (ca. 100 million natives in the Caribbean and South & Central America alone) caused and committed by Christianity and what happens in the name of Islam today -and what can be expected from it in the future, this shouldn't be too hard to understand.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Frank

I have to say that is a stupid fucking argument.

You know the Mongols laid waste to most of Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe and had the largest empire in world history and they were either animists or Buddhists. When they sacked Baghdad in 1258 they might have killed half the population and then leveled almost the entire city.

And the "plague" of the Middle East also gave the world farming, cities, writing, the wheel, irrigation, and rule of law. My God that's freaking horrible that people learned to live together and organized themselves into civilizations!

P.S. - most identity politics in the modern world is not about religious doctrine, but rather control of the state and power. If you didn't have religion you would still have conflicts it would just be based upon another justification.

PPS - It's not like there weren't empires in the Americas before the Europeans showed up that had wars, conquered other people, killed them and enslaved them in the name of their own belief systems, i.e. Mayans, Aztecs, Incas, etc.

• dopeshitdopeshit 134 Posts
    Frank said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Frank said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:

...civilization spread from Egypt to Greece and from there to Rome. From there it spread to the barbarian hordes of Western Europe.

It was Pythagoras who first introduced music theory into Europe after having been initiated in the Egyptian Mystery cults.

You call it civilization, I call it the mid-eastern plague.

The mid-eastern plague? Not saying you're a racist but usually that's terminology used by islamophobes or anti-semites.

Unless you refer to the spread of Christianity, I could agree on that.

I commonly refer to both, Christianity and Islam as the mid-eastern plagues. If you look at the cultural and spiritual damage and genocides (ca. 100 million natives in the Caribbean and South & Central America alone) caused and committed by Christianity and what happens in the name of Islam today -and what can be expected from it in the future, this shouldn't be too hard to understand.

you just a brainwashed follower of the secular propaganda... someone who actually cares about your ignorance could easily prove your argument wrong with facts....i will not waste my time for you
    +what motown said

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
    motown67 said:
    P.S. - most identity politics in the modern world is not about religious doctrine, but rather control of the state and power. If you didn't have religion you would still have conflicts it would just be based upon another justification.

yes, thank you!

Thymebomb13 said:
    StoneHands said:
    motown67 said:

yes, thank you!

Apologists for religion can say what they will, but to pretend that religion - at this point in history - is not a vastly regressive force seems stupid to me. That's true in the Islamic world and it's certainly true in the Bible Belt.

I'll go with secular democracy for the win.

You're missing the point and stereotyping religion just as Frank does. Do the religious groups that support gay rights, help the poor with free food, help pay parts of their rents and donate clothing and furniture to them and those that help out immigrants in the US make up your repressive image? And again the religious right in America is not about religious doctrine otherwise the anti-abortion movement wouldn't have both Catholics and Protestants, but it's about control of the state and government policies. There are plenty of other groups in America that are trying to do the exact same thing that are not religious.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    motown67 said:

And the "plague" of the Middle East also gave the world farming, cities, writing, the wheel, irrigation, and rule of law. My God that's freaking horrible that people learned to live together and organized themselves into civilizations!

Can we deal? Lets swap out religion for, say, wheels.

I mean, who needs 'em?

Walking, people. It's the way forward.

Thymebomb13 said:
    motown67 said:
    And again the religious right in America is not about religious doctrine otherwise the anti-abortion movement wouldn't have both Catholics and Protestants, but it's about control of the state and government policies.

I had to spotlight this separately because it makes no sense. Do you actually think all Protestants are alike? I don't see your point here at all.

The point I was trying to make is that the struggle over abortion is not about religion per se otherwise you would not have all these different Christian sects working together that don't agree about religious doctrine. Rather it is another example of a struggle over control of the government rather than a struggle over faith. Religion is being used as an identity by the Right to organize around to oppose abortion.

Thymebomb13 said:
    motown67 said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    StoneHands said:
    motown67 said:

yes, thank you!

Apologists for religion can say what they will, but to pretend that religion - at this point in history - is not a vastly regressive force seems stupid to me. That's true in the Islamic world and it's certainly true in the Bible Belt.

You're missing the point and stereotyping religion just as Frank does. Do the religious groups that support gay rights, help the poor with free food, help pay parts of their rents and donate clothing and furniture to them and those that help out immigrants in the US make up your repressive image? And again the religious right in America is not about religious doctrine otherwise the anti-abortion movement wouldn't have both Catholics and Protestants, but it's about control of the state and government policies. There are plenty of other groups in America that are trying to do the exact same thing that are not religious.

I'm really tired of people using the term "stereotyping" as though it reveals some great truth. I'm not "stereotyping" anything. I'm observing the role of religion in the world as it exists today and concluding that, on balance, it is a net negative. Helping out with rent and donating old clothes is very nice but it hardly makes up for sawing off clitorises, covering up a worldwide child rape conspiracy, endless sectarian slaughters and violence, or the widespread encouragement of ignorance and bigotry.

Just a guess but I suspect you live in a secular democracy and wouldn't trade it for a more theologically-controlled system.

Religion is just one of many different identities that can bring people together or divide them. You like Frank want to point to religion as the boogey boo of history ignoring plenty of other violence and injustices that have happened that did not involve religion. The Mongols didn't lay waste to the ancient world because of religion. In more modern time, the Holocaust wasn't because Hitler was a Christian. The slaughter of Chinese, Korean pleasure woman, etc. committed by the Japanese during World War II wasn't because they were Shintoists. When Saddam Hussein went after the Kurds in the Anfal campaign and used chemical weapons on them had nothing to do with religion as both Saddam and most of the Kurds that got killed were Sunni Muslims. The slaughter in Rwanda was non-religious as well. I could go on and on, but I forgot religion is the reason why bad things happen in the world.

PS secular America committed genocide against the Indians had slavery relegated women had a civil war and built an empire.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    motown67 said:

Religion is just one of many different identities that can bring people together or divide them. You like Frank want to point to religion as the boogey boo of history ignoring plenty of other violence and injustices that have happened that did not involve religion. The Mongols didn't lay waste to the ancient world because of religion. In more modern time, the Holocaust wasn't because Hitler was a Christian. The slaughter of Chinese, Korean pleasure woman, etc. committed by the Japanese during World War II wasn't because they were Shintoists. When Saddam Hussein went after the Kurds in the Anfal campaign and used chemical weapons on them had nothing to do with religion as both Saddam and most of the Kurds that got killed were Sunni Muslims. The slaughter in Rwanda was non-religious as well. I could go on and on, but I forgot religion is the reason why bad things happen in the world.

It's a historical truth that Christianity takes the prices when it comes to genocide. The Spaniards depopulated pretty much the entire Caribbeans and wiped out entire cultures/ethnicities in South and Central America killing over 100 Million people, the Mongols with their estimated 40-60 Million don't even come close. Hitler's holocaust was fueled by Antisemitism which by its very nature is a Christian invention.

Also, I never meant to blame all evils of the history of the world on Christianity or Islam, people in general have plenty of evil in them but this evil has a tendency to surface and show its ugliest face when religious (or political) forces "bring people together" like you put it.

My initial statement about Egypt being towards the top of a long list of shitty places I'd never even want to get close to was inspired by the current news that there has been a truly disturbing culmination of sexual mob attacks on women perpetrated by all three main groups, the police and other authorities, Morsi supporters as well as opposition demonstrators. Such behavior is a indicator that there is something fundamentally wrong in this society. Look at how members of society that are considered as weak are being treated in pretty much the entire Arab world, not only their own women but foreign workers like maids or construction workers or refugees from Sub-Saharan countries then even the stable countries look pretty nightmarish to me and this whole "beautiful people" and "birthplace of civilization" talk just seems like a bad joke.

What the Western media is calling the Arab Spring in reality is a gigantic shit storm that will result in long lasting civil wars and that will have an absolute devastating effect on sub Saharan Africa. What happened in Mali was only the beginning.

• Thymebomb13 said:
    motown67 said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    StoneHands said:
    motown67 said:

yes, thank you!

I'm really tired of people using the term "stereotyping" as though it reveals some great truth. I'm not "stereotyping" anything. I'm observing the role of religion in the world as it exists today and concluding that, on balance, it is a net negative. Helping out with rent and donating old clothes is very nice but it hardly makes up for sawing off clitorises, covering up a worldwide child rape conspiracy, endless sectarian slaughters and violence, or the widespread encouragement of ignorance and bigotry.

Just a guess but I suspect you live in a secular democracy and wouldn't trade it for a more theologically-controlled system.

Violence is indeed commited by both secular and religious people, for example most wars in the 20th century were caused by atheists such as Hitler, Stalin etc.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Thousands of the most imporant schools, universities, hospitals and charities all have names that start with the same word. Can you guess what that word is?

Thymebomb13 said:
    sabadabada said:
    Thousands of the most imporant schools, universities, hospitals and charities all have names that start with the same word. Can you guess what that word is?

Whatever word you have in mind, I'm looking forward to your huge list of names of "imporant" universities that start with it.

Besides, didn't you go to good old BJU?

I went where I went.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    sabadabada said:

I'll bite. Is it "balls"?

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    sabadabada said:

I'll bite. Is it "balls"?

I'm going with "The".

The word is "Saint".

Yes religion is by the far the worst thing EVER. Without it we'd only have race, class, ethnicity, gender, nationality, ideology, and how about good old greed to fight and kill over. But lets forget that. Fuck religion!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    The word is "Saint".

isn't this also true of heavy metal bands?

Frank something like 80-90% of the Native Americans in the Americas got wiped out by European disease not actual fighting or enslavement by the Spaniards. It wasn't Christianity that was responsible but germs.

motown67 said:
    Frank something like 80-90% of the Native Americans in the Americas got wiped out by European disease not actual fighting or enslavement by the Spaniards. It wasn't Christianity that was responsible but germs.

And Lord Jeffrey Amherst.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    The word is "Saint".

Oh yeah!

That was my next guess.

DB_Cooper said:
    motown67 said:

Does this letter say they should "hunt them down with dogs"?

http://www.nativeweb.org/pages/legal/amherst/34_41_114_fn.jpeg

That's why i didn't go to Amherst, that and the tuition and bad grades.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    motown67 said:

germs brought over by teh christians, sometimes spread on purpose. There's no way to deny that the Catholic Church played a pretty big role in the rape and plunder of two entire continents during the course of a few of centuries.

sabadabada said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    motown67 said:

Does this letter say they should "hunt them down with dogs"?

http://www.nativeweb.org/pages/legal/amherst/34_41_114_fn.jpeg

That's why i didn't go to Amherst, that and the tuition and bad grades.

I do believe so. I went to UMass Amherst, so I am familiar with the town's namesake and all of his...*ahem*...accomplishments.

motown67 said:

germs brought over by teh christians, sometimes spread on purpose. There's no way to deny that the Catholic Church played a pretty big role in the rape and plunder of two entire continents during the course of a few of centuries.[/quote

And was the conquering of the Americas driven by religion or greed and the desire for empire?

And in most of the Spanish colonies it was the colonial governors that ran things not the church but they were all Catholics so obviously religion is to blame.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Yes religion is by the far the worst thing EVER. Fuck religion!

Amen to that.