Bicycles

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    A local park has had chained outside of it for months and months now what appears to be a Dinosaur Jr.-branded mountain bike. Is this shit legit or what? It's locked up underneath a flyer advertising conversational Russian classes "for singles" (wink, wink) which makes for a pretty revolting one-two.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    that LOOK is pretty sick.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Up until about a month ago I was probably in the best shape evarr (for me), but then got some cryptic stomach bug and ended up blacking out a few times whist sat on the throne holding a bowl to be sick in. Both-end job. Banged my head, low blood pressure etc. and ended up going to hospital. Man said rest 10 days, but I am self-employed and that answer is unacceptable to the bank manager.

Gave riding a week off, still didn't feel 100%, then rode, hammer down, to local country spot at lunchtime and felt like blacking out when I got there. It was freezing out, but mega-warm in the tea room, just too much contrast in temp I think. Still had to ride back, dizzy, to work. I dunno what it is. That was a couple of weeks ago. Only took one ride since, walked a few miles to the bike shop and picked up the mtb and rode it back to work, all uphill. I still felt a bit shitty at the end of it. That was last week.

But damn St*ckswell, I can't be sat here looking at bikes and not want to get out today.

I work @ NG15 0DR, there's some great riding around here, have a look, I'll do Ravenshead today hopefully:
    Around here

SMASHED IT.

• Nice! I miss cycling on the Queen's roads and through her lovely forest. I forgot there's a town called Diss there too. Haha.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Giro starts this weekend. Should be an exciting race.

Hesjedal looks to be in pretty good shape to defend, but Wiggo and Nibali are surely worthy contenders. Cadel Evans as the dark horse?

b/w

been getting back on my 2-wheel commute the last couple weeks and have been feeling FANTASTIC. First group ride of the season on Sunday should be treat.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Hello fellow two wheelers, I'm new here.

Here's my road bike with new tyres on for spring. Haven't been able to spend enough time properly riding in the last few months which I hope will change soon.

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    I had it in my head the other week that I wanted a BMX..

But no one wants to see a 40 year old guy riding a BMX.. bummer..

frenzie said:

http://www.sebikes.com/bike.php?name=26-om-flyer5

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I only got a few MTB rides in before I dislocated my shoulder snowboarding last month. I'm taking it slow, but I'll be back on dirt next week, hopefully. Shit's LAME: do not get old and do not dislocate your shoulder, if you can help it. That's what I say.

I've spent the past month dialing in all my bikes. They're all clean and silent.

I want to get a dynamo hub and build up a wheel with it for my city roller.

Lots of new BMX trails getting attention lately, with the plowing of the mega zone.

That is all.

Bike.

dukeofdelridge said:
    do not get old and do not dislocate your shoulder, if you can help it.

NOW you tell me ::SMH::

Can't do much about being old but took some tumble and magnum hit on my shoulder a while back and took ages to get it checked out, because, y'know, I'm a man and these things will get better. Only it wasn't. Couldn't move my arm in certain positions (bass playing, picking up #2 son, washing hair etc.) without it being mad wheak and painful.

Left it 10 months before seeing a physio :eyeroll: , it's rotator cuff damage. Physio has been great, just about made full recovery. Doing some more when I am done posting this.

This Winter has been a long one, still not really done, even as we arrive at the arse end of May... But got plenty of riding in, back to 99% of best shape evarr. Cutting bike collection down to 2, both MTBs, selling my commuter. It's only getting used when the morning commute is above a couple of degrees, (so, like 2 months a year). The rest of the time, I am loving t3h 0ffroadzor. Road scenery is so boring, no?

Hope the shoulder clears up bud, keep pedalling.

SoulOnIce, when are you going to fit them Iron Cross pedals?

J i m s t e r said:

Oh, I've been riding the shit out of those for a year or however long it's been since you hooked me up! The real question is, when am I going to get you back for the generosity? I haven't forgotten but I'll be damned if there is a burrito spot around here worthy of getting you a t-shirt ;)

Haven't been riding them as much lately, tho, as they are on my Masi and I spent the entire fall/winter building this bad boy from scratch:

Such a sweet ride. Phil Woods bottom bracket and hubs make for the quietest smoothest ride I've ever had. I rode it 50+ miles a week ago to Providence, RI on a record related journey, and for a single speed with 48/16 gearing, it was a pretty fast and comfortable 2 1/2 hours.

sick build, SOI!

frenzie said:

I weep for you. You're going to be on your deathbed thinking, "man, I should've ridden those bikes when I wanted to, instead of worrying about what people were going to say." (They're actually all too busy worrying about how they look to pay any attention to you. Don't flatter yourself!)

J i m s t e r: I'm shoulder shrugging and pushing against the wall and waxing on/off like a motherfucker. It does get better every day, this shoulder, but it's been pretty surprising to discover how weak and painful a dislocation can be. I thought it was just on some Rambo stuff where as soon as it went back in you were back in action. Advancing age probably doesn't help. The goal is to never have surgery. I will strengthen all my surrounding muscles and go from there.

Getting injured sucks now. But I will return soon--I've been skipping rope like a fiend so I can sleep at night.

SoulOnIce said:
    J i m s t e r said:

Oh, I've been riding the shit out of those for a year or however long it's been since you hooked me up! The real question is, when am I going to get you back for the generosity? I haven't forgotten but I'll be damned if there is a burrito spot around here worthy of getting you a t-shirt ;)

Haven't been riding them as much lately, tho, as they are on my Masi and I spent the entire fall/winter building this bad boy from scratch:

Such a sweet ride. Phil Woods bottom bracket and hubs make for the quietest smoothest ride I've ever had. I rode it 50+ miles a week ago to Providence, RI on a record related journey, and for a single speed with 48/16 gearing, it was a pretty fast and comfortable 2 1/2 hours.

I like this. I wouldn't ride it, but I like it!

[quote author="SoulOnIce" date=1368669036

comfortable
    COUCH-LIKE RIDE?

dude you put that bike on a sofa!

also has this been discussed here?

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    frenzie said:

I weep for you. You're going to be on your deathbed thinking, "man, I should've ridden those bikes when I wanted to, instead of worrying about what people were going to say." (They're actually all too busy worrying about how they look to pay any attention to you. Don't flatter yourself!)

thanks.. You've enlightened me with your great wisdom..

anyway.. I'm happy riding my house mates mountain bike for the moment, as she never uses it. It's seen better days and is making some funny clicking sounds. The gear's are shot and the handle bars keep dropping forward, and I even took a massive tumble in peak hour traffic - But it gets me to the shops and back.
    Bonus beat: with the theft rate in our suburb on the increase, no one looks twice..

bike thieves must die!

YO:
    these black car services (uber) are blowing up. Copycats and other sorta carsharing things are too (there's this one where they're getting around the insurance and licensing of our taxi and limousine laws by just having "suggested donation" rates and users can drive their own cars in the fleet--some dollar cab type shit). The latest one in Seattle is these guys car2go, where they have these little buggies with the app and the whole thing. People are digging it.

Anyone doing this with bikes? I remember Portland having those free-for-all community yellow bikes twenty years ago. Seems like oh I dunno...

JUST THINKING

We have bikeshare in Boston: http://www.thehubway.com/

They cover the whole city and while as a concept it's great, the bikes and most of the people riding them are a menace. As a seasoned rider using my bike to get everywhere around Boston, people on Hubways are so sketchy and to be avoided at all cost.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts

soundtrack is :shreddin_it:

vintageinfants said:

soundtrack is :shreddin_it:

I've become wary in recent years of too-heavy-on-the-dorktricks-ism, but some of that stuff is so sick. I squealed a few times. The best thing about this vid has been the comments on WorldStarHipHop.

Rode mountain bikes this morning. First time in 6 weeks! Pedaling smooth trails on the hardtail: arm still attached. STOKED. Weather's looking good for the next week, and I'm gonna pedal my face off.

Meh. This is what is up, hit and run Thu.

I found the car since.

Police can do the rest.

6-8 weeks to heal.

Drinking arm, too.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Ouch. Glad you got em man. Heal up quick.

J i m s t e r said:

Meh. This is what is up, hit and run Thu.

I found the car since.

Police can do the rest.

6-8 weeks to heal.

Drinking arm, too.

BOOOOOOOO!

I won't bring up the possibility of a universe in which one BikeStrutteur must be hurt at all times, and as soon as this happened to you I returned to riding mountain bikes in the dirt. (Taking it very mellow on some XC trails, a little soreness after but none during and my arm didn't try to fall off.)

Also, I applaud the idea of letting the police do the rest. Doubt I could even claim I'd be able to do that. Not sure how much attention a non-fatality hit'n'run car/bike collision would get. I would probably spend the next ten years trying to destroy that person: car, life, mind. You are a good man (except for not censoring the other patients' names OMG OMG OMG!)

fuck a hit'n'runner though. Please report back with updates.

Danny MacAskill back with some more. Clever. Worth watching for the music: what the hell is this? I'm imagining it's period-correct, possibly regional...I've never heard it, and I never want to hear it again. Amazing!

I rode up to Sunrise on Mt Rainier yesterday. The road has been cleared of snow, but it's not yet ready for the summer hordes. Work crews are done pushing rocks and trees around by 2pm, and it's a little inside info move to show up and climb the final 10 miles on a bike. So cool. Not super steep, but definitely hard to stay on the road with the views. Worth it for someone like me who's kind of abandoned any kinship with my fellow car driver (I'm 95% dirt, 5% bike path now).
    Highest paved road in Washington:

The descent was MENTAL!

/bikes

These, necked like a workaholic Pac-Man, ...

... FTW!

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    dukeofdelridge that looks beautiful! Proper jealous. Would love to ride somewhere like that one day.

Great looking ride, Duke. I did a similar route in my neck of the woods the other week.

the compulsion to pose in front of the elevation sign is strong! Probably unbeatable. Maybe if you're doing it all the time, but I was setting up all sorts of configurations: bike/beer/mountain, beer/chug/mountain, bike/sign/mountain/clouds...so silly. I think there are a few mountain bike trails down there I've been at higher elevations, but they don't put numbers on em.

BIKES!