Bicycles

Comments

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Our unusually mild winter, while bad news for the climate-change skeptics, netted a ton of unexpected days in the saddle.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    a few bike adventures, but our winter has been going A.P.E.
    :bizzo:

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    My nice older Trek got stolen out of my garage over Thanksgiving weekend. I've barely been riding since then. Daylight savings time has given me the incentive to stop pouting and build myself a new bike. I've never built one from the ground up before. All parts are used and were either from Craigslist or take-offs from local shops over the last week and a half. I hodge-podged it together quickly for pretty cheap.

2011 Raleigh Record Ace Steel frame.
    Mostly Sram Red except for the crankset, front derailleur, and bottom bracket because the Sram stuff is supposed to be weak there.
    It's almost done. I need to log some miles today and make sure the fit is right before I put the bar tape on. Also need to decide on a pedal system. I always had toe clips before.
    I'll be ditching the Sram Red brakes for some used Dura Aces. They work fantastic, but aren't the right color (elbows).
    I've got a Ritchey Classic stem and seat tube on order to enhance the retro-racer look.
    Very excited. I'm really liking the Sram shifting.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    built this up as my daily bruiser..

this is cool: these dudes always make fun of my 24", saying it looks stupid. A 22" bike could be more stable than a 20" without "looking so dumb."

the 24" is twitchy enough for me, but whatever. Thought I'd share with BikeStrutteurz.

CBear: looking good, but what's up with those bars? I don't know how my hands could get in that bend. (I guess it's more about your hands, but what's up?)

• The wife and I just picked up a pair of these folding bikes:
    Tern Link C7

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    CBear: looking good, but what's up with those bars? I don't know how my hands could get in that bend. (I guess it's more about your hands, but what's up?)

So far, they feel fine. Maybe the photo is a weird angle. I didn't want anything too deep because I'm not racing. Any parts that related to the fit of the ride I picked up cheap. I wanted to try a few things until I get the fit right. Once I get the fit right, I'll splurge for some nicer parts. That's also why I have an adjustable stem on there.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Big stack at lunchtime. Too muddy, too fast, too little skill... bike ended up 50 yards away down the forest track. No harm done to me, really, ankle a bit swolen but I can walk. Surprised to find the bike completely fine. And it's a crabon frame. Worst thing will be cleaning it.

Well done Decathlon, they are kind of like the French Wal-Mart of Sports Equipment, but they have shops over here (with real Frenchies) and sell their bikes under the RockRider label:

I've swapped the bars for green ano risers and a matching green ano seatpost, rest is still stock. Had to change the rear pads for Aztec organic ones, cured the seatstay judder just like that. Also those Hutchinson tyres lasted about 500 miles before surrendering to the puncture fairy, a record for me.

Took shoes off after ride, had been feeling something in the right shoe which I attributed to bark or somesuch forest detritus of the spill. Turns out it was tube patches and sandpaper from a puncture kit I'd stored in the shoe earlier. Guffaw.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

• leftrightleftright 101 Posts
    had this bike for a couple of years and i've been riding almost everyday since spring has sprung. still loving it.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts

Anybody else watch the Giro?? What an amazing race and historic result!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

Le Tour - who will ride?

Srs doe, never thought an Englishman would be there to soil the podium down at the Champs Illusives but Wiggo making a fist of it. I believe that's the hardest day over and he's still in yellow...

Hey!
    Olympics road race was great: Cancellara showing that he's really fast in a straight line, even in corners. Dude looking over his left shoulder to the short side of the road, and aged Vino just rides over the finish line first? I loved it. Smaller teams, less opportunity for SuperSquads to dominate...one-day races are rad.
    BMX racing was great. That track is insane.

I've been riding a lot of mountain bikes. Headed to Mountain Bike Oregon next weekend. Stoked.

Went on a great camping/bmx trip last month:

Bikes still rule!

dukeofdelridge said:
    Hey!
    Olympics road race was great: Cancellara showing that he's really fast in a straight line, even in corners. Dude looking over his left shoulder to the short side of the road, and aged Vino just rides over the finish line first? I loved it. Smaller teams, less opportunity for SuperSquads to dominate...one-day races are rad.
    BMX racing was great. That track is insane.

I've been riding a lot of mountain bikes. Headed to Mountain Bike Oregon next weekend. Stoked.

Went on a great camping/bmx trip last month:

Bikes still rule!

Wiggo been phenomenal this year. And dude kept it so down-to-earth the whole time. Props. I got me some French newspapers with Wiggo on the front as keepsakes.

Olympic road race was a real lottery, not surprised that Cav got nothing as TdF-esque tactics were all out of the window. I ain't mad, Vinko took the bull by horns and it paid. Womens race also great. Lizzie Armitstead rode a really mature race; just missing a sip of Red Bull to claw in the Cloggie at the end. Bravo.

Mountain Bike course was too narrow, even if it was punishing enough to string out the riders by the end of the race. Passing opportunities were denied, which took the edge off it. The rock sections were a lot more brutal that I would expect... I mean, some real GAME OVER biz if the wrong line taken. Maybe I am getting old

That BMX track was also brutal! The tunnel exit was a real headhunter. The crashes were all painful. The kind where you can't just instantly will yourself back on your bike to finish. The ones where the only valid response is.. "!!!!NNNNGGGGummmmffff.............. uuuhh... ffffFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKHHHHhhhhhhh........" Shanaze Reade plain blew that one. Worst start ever. She might have another 4 years in her if her wrists can hold out.

GBR bossing it in the Velodromes. I gotta try that one day. My BMX-bandit dude had a go in Manchester, rented a track bike, and totalled it. Nasty. Although, despite his claims to have been cautious, I bet he was trying to wheelie it. He did say insane speeds are easily attained if you have the bottle and legs.

BMX racing is so gnarly. I love how my friends who jump all these ridiculous trails all say it's the racers who are the toughest.

There's a velodrome across the bridge from Seattle. I grew up in the area and definitely almost died a few times in that concrete death track. Usually it was a pedal strike on the banked corners. Going too slow. I don't f with it anymore. But I will watch some of the Friday night racing every once in awhile. Terrifying.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Ignore the shitty music and gratuitous lycra shots.

• i could use helmet recommends if you've got them

$40-$70 range for urban biking no mountains

Ashton pretending to be a roadie He did another one like this, but not as good, last year.

Dude is skillz ledge since time. Met him a few times, he was demoing for Cannondale/Volvo in the infield at BTTC races last time. Makes it look so easy. Also surprised at how much punishment the road wheel can take - unless they got through about 8 of them during the course of the shoot.

• J i m s t e r said:
    Also surprised at how much punishment the road wheel can take - unless they got through about 8 of them during the course of the shoot.

I was thinking the same thing. And is the frame carbon? Looks like it. Can't imagine that would last long either. Cool stuff all the same.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    Also surprised at how much punishment the road wheel can take - unless they got through about 8 of them during the course of the shoot.

I was thinking the same thing. And is the frame carbon? Looks like it. Can't imagine that would last long either. Cool stuff all the same.

Bike is a Pinarello Dogma 2; tires seem to be some Hope Hoops carbons but not any set I could find on their current website.

http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/frames_road/frames_pinarello/FR_DOGMA2_CDE.html?currency=USD&gclid=CJr1m5Ot-LICFQ7hQgodACAAmw

brentabousko said:
    i could use helmet recommends if you've got them

$40-$70 range for urban biking no mountains

I like the Bern helmets but gave up finding one in XXL...

Bernunlimited.com

Couldn't find this scene in English:

This really was an underrated cameo.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    prophetic last words

Lamont said:
    prophetic last words

The slight pursing of the lips. Golden.

Good year for British cycling; Tour de France, Olympic domination, and a Brit won this crazy downhill race in Mexico:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ^^^ So stoked to see another one of those vids for this year. Sickest shit evarrrrr ^^^

also:

THE BUILD IS ON. hitting the streets of Boston April 2013.

• My new winteur build..

D.I.S.S. bro.

• sick machine, gaffles. I want

• Thanks Holla! Here are some more.

Hop off the G4

Hop in the G5