!!! (Daft Punk-related).

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central

b/w

How did I not know that PAUL freakin' Muppet Show / Smokey & The Bandit / "We've Only Just Begun" / "An Old Fashioned Love Song" / "RAINBOW CONNECTION" WILLIAMS wrote songs for this?! Man, I'm out of the loop but sooooooo damn excited for this.

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Ditto on the Paul Williams. Loved that guy!!!

So ready for this. I'm tired of the standard "EDM" bullshit out there that's sucking the soul out of good dance music.

I've probably watched this video 10 times since this morning. At first not into the Pharrell, but it's growing on me.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican monkey...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    nile man, nile. the only time i wish there was a different singer is during the bridge, pharrell just can't hit those notes. but, hearing nile rodgers do his thing with daft punk more than makes up for it.

• these goddamn french robots really know how to get me excited about new releases.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Justin Timberlake's ad campaign was some next level sh*t. Crazy how this one topped it merely weeks after that one.

Also crazy that only 4 Strutters seems to care about this. Weird.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That shit is all over FB and twitter (including many strutters feeds)

Sorry we haven't all rushed to post in your thread bro but it will be ok

And as I tweeted earlier; the amount of people basically ignoring Nile Rodgers is discouraging

Five!

And duh...I know it's everywhere. People were complaining that the Strut's "decline" was in part due to everybody moving their opinions and discussions over to other social networking platforms. I'm trying to bring it back here. Yeeeesh.

I'm just saying bro, like you don't have to guilt trip us

this guy KingMost (counts as a strutter!) just tweeted the "full version", but it's not the full version.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I'm just saying bro, like you don't have to guilt trip us

Ha! Sorry man. I'll be more sensitive to peoples' sensitivities next time.

As far as Daft Punk goes... Man, I hope they do a collaborator profile with Paul Williams. I've loved that dude ever since Smokey & The Bandit and I really enjoyed the recent documentary on him.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    this guy KingMost (counts as a strutter!) just tweeted the "full version", but it's not the full version.

Yes! It's fake. I was duped too. (Shared it off his FB page, I don't do the Tweeterz.) Still though, I've been listening to the fake version non-stop all afternoon.

(On a side note, King Moist also Tumblr'ed'ed Jai Paul's passport pic. Oh P*trick...)

• i posted about it on my geocities page and told all my ICQ friends about it.

#uhoh

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Nile's involvement is clearly the highlight of the whole project???is it just me thinking that?

the single that plays at the beginning of those interview videos has his touch ALL over it. in a good way.

Nile's right behind the 2 JBs in my personal pantheon

• willie_fugal said:
    Nile's involvement is clearly the highlight of the whole project???is it just me thinking that?

the single that plays at the beginning of those interview videos has his touch ALL over it. in a good way.

Nile's right behind the 2 JBs in my personal pantheon

between rodgers and moroder in a collaborative effort with daft punk, this has instant classic written all over it. the rest of the names are just gravy.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Not to mention the fact that there were already two other threads about this release:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75711/

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73037/

ost said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Not to mention the fact that there were already two other threads about this release:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75711/

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73037/

So you too started a new thread when there was an existing one? At least I'm not alone.

Even those got very little attention though. Oh well... Back to Facebook I go!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I don't have Facebook anymore and never did twitter, so I count on soulstrut as a news source of sorts

Controller_7 said:
    I count on soulstrut as a news source of sorts

I'm sayin' though! LL's race-relations song, Jay-Z sparking White House press conferences...these are just two of the things I thought I would either hear about first here or at least see 5-pagers on. Nope.

Stuff

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

pretty good for a faked re-edit.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Dam this is awesome. All this amazing hype has me prepared for the worst (like a mediocre album) but this song is great. Niles Rodgers featuring Daft Punk and Pharrell .

• Grandfather said:
    Dam this is awesome. All this amazing hype has me prepared for the worst (like a mediocre album) but this song is great. Niles Rodgers featuring Daft Punk and Pharrell .

sayin. I'm usually extremely turned off by this kind of internet hype, but this is sounding like it will be great for the whip and the dance floor this summer. Excited to hear the whole package.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    empanadamn said:
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican monkey
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican
    Woke up a Mexican monkey...

Haha. Just the fact that the actual lyric is not *something-something GET FUNKY" improves the outlook for this album tremendously in my book.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Stuff

I feel you. To be honest, I cut 'n paste some of my words to use both here and on FB when it makes sense to do so. I agree it's kinda silly to have multiple conversations going on but there are still some OGs 'round these parts that I'm not friends with on FB. (Of course, it doesn't help that I have an internet addiction.) As far as the newbies go, well...I've learned and/or been turned onto some stuff from them too so I don't mind hearing what they've got to say.

Anyways, back to the lesson at hand...

• Super excited for this. They are also doing a great job promoting it. In the past month several people have been talking to me about Chic and disco music, people that I would have never expected to be interested in that (I'm in medical school, so music and particularly older music rarely spike peoples interests). It makes me really happy.

BTW have you guys heard this mashup of their 1st commercia w/ JT's Suit and Tie?
    https://soundcloud.com/hoodinternet/the-hood-internet-suit-and

SoundOutLoud said:

BTW have you guys heard this mashup of their 1st commercia w/ JT's Suit and Tie?
    https://soundcloud.com/hoodinternet/the-hood-internet-suit-and

Yes, and to go with what I just posted above, here's exactly what I had to say about that on FB yesterday:

"You know what's crazy about this? Daft Punk released that short snippet on SNL. Before they even released the longer snippet with Pharrell, people had made their own remixes using the short snippet that was being played in clubs! (Well, speaking for myself, of course. I rocked the hell out of that Hood Internet "Suit & Tie" remix.)"

I wonder if that was anticipated at all? I mean, it could've potentially backfired on 'em, right? What if a remix was so good that it overshadowed the original before the original even had a chance to shine?? Or if a remix with that loop got so much play that people just tired of that main loop?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    so is it midnight tonight for this thing to drop or what?