Dear Soulstrut, Help me open my mind.

Comments

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Talking to different people.

A friend of mine is moving to the Philippines where hes building a house, helping the local people, taking care of his sick mother and moving in with his girlfriend and her baby from a previous relationship.

We have longer talks about how life is over there and where the margin between paradise and poverty lies.
    People who are out of their mind after loosing their jobs and then ambushing people from competitive businesses seeking justice by putting the blame on them.

What I'm trying to say dude has like 5 years on me and he's got this entire big family that lives together dream and loads of great ideas what to do over there with little help.

So while I kind of admire his plans and philosophy it also gives me a different perspective on my own life.
    I clearly see why his choices are not for me and where the western consumer orientated world pitfalls lie compared to a life set up around strong pillars of family bonds.

I couldnt see myself building a place for my mother or siblings to live in and feel comfortable because I want them to be happy there for example. This sort of humbles me when I think about my freelance work in the advertising industry and the evanescence of everything.

These kind of thoughts make me want to talk and discuss whats important in life with people coming from a completely different angle.

Not sure if this fits into what youre after with this thread. But this is what makes me feel expansion in my mindset. Also makes me feel more stupid worrying about my superficial sister-sister dilemmas.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    daydream

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

• Okem said:

i'm pretty sure all three of these are burtynsky's....... went and saw this whole exhibit was at the ROM in toronto this summer. so ill.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This book changed my life.

• :face_melt: X 1,000,000,000

• bassie said:
    Can I come at it from another angle?
    If possible, go somewhere totally different - a somewhat cheap(er) way to travel across the world is through volunteer work. Ideally a place where they don't speak English or have computers. Nothing will open your mind like stepping the fck out your comfort zone for more than a day and living like how other people live.

"Did you know that these so called "volunteers" don't even get paid?"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    bassie said:
    If possible, go somewhere totally different - a somewhat cheap(er) way to travel across the world is through volunteer work. Ideally a place where they don't speak English or have computers. Nothing will open your mind like stepping the fck out your comfort zone for more than a day and living like how other people live.

I forgot about this thread. I took Bassie's advice and went to South America. Great advice.

- spidey

• SPlDEY said:
    bassie said:

I forgot about this thread. I took Bassie's advice and went to South America. Great advice.

- spidey

i actually gave this thread the paddles after it popped up while i was trying to find [in vain] the popeyes side order thraed.

an overdue bump if you ask me. should be stickied and made to be the bar.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Adam Curtis movies

Watch in HD.

"There is no guru. You have to believe in yourself. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate." - Lennon

- d

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    Adam Curtis movies

• Thanks for posting those, Spidey.

• It may be a tad hard to see what is going on here, but look closely. Artist/scientist Jonty Hurwitz creates what appear to be ordinary abstract sculptures, but when viewed in a cylinder, reflective surface, the sculpture takes on the appearence of a figurative shape. Hurwtiz won the 2009 Noble Sculpture Prize.

• SPlDEY said:
    "There is no guru. You have to believe in yourself. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate." - Lennon

- d

Thank You Spidey for this.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    saw Adam Curtis documentaries where mentioned. They are incredible and really in a league of their own.

PEEP them here

http://thoughtmaybe.com/by/adam-curtis/

I'm glad to see this thread popped back up.

If you haven't seen Samsara w/ a mind altering substance. I'd reccomend it friend.

- spidey

• Lewis said:
    saw Adam Curtis documentaries where mentioned. They are incredible and really in a league of their own.

PEEP them here

http://thoughtmaybe.com/by/adam-curtis/

Checked out "All Watch Over By Machines Of Loving Grace". Awesome, thought-provoking stuff. Will definitely bookmark.

Jacque Fresco aka Mr. This Shit's Got To Go:

• you think you can, but no you cant

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I was a HUGE Peanuts fan as a child and have always wanted to do recreate this - booth, $0.05 charge, hair, dress and all on a street corner. I guess I would have to have disclaimers for people to sign saying they understand I am just a regular ass citizen and can't be held accountable when it all goes haywire off my gems of advice.

• Good luck getting your nose that far away from your mouth.