Frank Ocean.

1234568»

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    This album's been in rotation for months at this point. Still kinda growing on me. "Thinking About You" was crazy on SNL last night too.

Friday at Pier 36 in NY should be crazy. I'm geeked.

• I thought the SNL appearance was pretty cool.

The 'tasty licks' solo by John Mayer didn't really work for me. though.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    This is EXACTLY how strip clubs make me feel, which is why I haven't visited one since my early 20's.

frank ocean [pyramids] from christopher francis ocean on Vimeo.

like you did four shots of absinthe?

• Is this out on vinyl yet?

• My guy at Def Jam seemed unsure if there was going to be any vinyl on it at all, but that was back when the album first dropped.

just checked Amazon and it seems there's no release date, though they're accepting pre-orders.

I'm really disappointed with the Pyramids video. My favorite part of that song is the first part, that groove is unstoppable and the imagery is sick, dude traded it out for a two-minute John Mayer guitar solo? smdh

Still love the record tho. Play it all the time

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I play his stuff in the clurb. Contestant for the top 5 albums of 2012. And I am glad to see how many different people with different musical backgrounds are turned on to this.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    My guy at Def Jam seemed unsure if there was going to be any vinyl on it at all, but that was back when the album first dropped.

just checked Amazon and it seems there's no release date, though they're accepting pre-orders.

I'm really disappointed with the Pyramids video. My favorite part of that song is the first part, that groove is unstoppable and the imagery is sick, dude traded it out for a two-minute John Mayer guitar solo? smdh

I agree with all of this. His performance on SNL was a bummer, too, for the same reasons. His performance of "Thinkin' 'Bout You" on the VMAs was turr'ble; not enough instrumentation. I liked the version he performed on SNL, though.

Question about "Pyramids": When he says "Whip ain't got no gas tank, but it still got wood grain," is he talmbout pushin' a Tesla?

• chasechase 767 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

couldn't agree with this more

I wonder if this was Def Jam's marketing strategy all along, or if we are seeing them try to quickly capitalize on his recent "gay" buzz.

It seems like his whole vibe is being watered down to be more palatable, which you would expect from someone on a major, but there was really no precursor. If they were planning this all along it seems like they would have done more to steer his image way before the release of his album. It seems odd he is now signing singles, when he was signing Bad Religion on Kimmel just a few months ago.

eh, whatever, I am a fan of dude and think he deserves his comeuppance. Hopefully Def Jam doesn't completely exploit him and destroy his music trying to make him a cross over hit.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

yeah, but in 10 years time, Ocean is going to be much more relevant than Fun or the Aussie couple with the weird hand movements. what other artist (at least in the 'urban' spectrum) has the potential to evolve the way FO has?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That Grammy performance was underwhelming.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    The Grammy performance was poorly conceived I think, that track is not a good option for "visuals plus vocalist" performance. Too conceptual or something. He did nail the whistling though.

• I'm a huge fan, but I've been thinking all day about how sorry that "Forrest Gump" performance was.

• Options
    hogginthefogg said:
    I'm a huge fan, but I've been thinking all day about how sorry that "Forrest Gump" performance was.

I had never heard that song before I saw the performance last night, and a few times today I was stuck trying to think of "what the hell was the character's name that Frank Ocean was singing about?". All I could come up with was Frank Drebin.

• i like about 4 songs off channel orange.

i still love all of nostalgia, ultra.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Didn't see it, but keep hearing how horrible Ocean's Grammy performance was.

For me, as long as this exists, I'll always be a fan...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'm happy that Ocean won but, on pure music terms, Miguel was robbed. I don't really follow the Grammys so may be missing something but surely there were more albums to fit in here than Miguel and Brown's? How can Miguel be nominated in this and then win R&B single of the year? So many questions.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I pre-ordered teh Channel Orange vinyl from Amazon before the album was released. Amazon gave a good effort, they really did, but threw in the towel yesterday:

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're unable to fulfill your order for the items listed below because they aren't available from the supplier any longer. As a result, we cancelled them from your order and your credit card wasn't charged.

channel ORANGE

We're sorry for any inconvenience or disappointment this may have caused.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    white_tea said:
    I pre-ordered teh Channel Orange vinyl from Amazon before the album was released. Amazon gave a good effort, they really did, but threw in the towel yesterday:

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're unable to fulfill your order for the items listed below because they aren't available from the supplier any longer. As a result, we cancelled them from your order and your credit card wasn't charged.

channel ORANGE

We're sorry for any inconvenience or disappointment this may have caused.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

I got the same response from them regarding the Atoms for Peace Limited Deluxe.

Did Channel Orange ever get an official vinyl release or just the German boot?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    What did y'all think of Blond(e)?  Classic, right?