Leave HipHop Alone

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    doesn't matter. still not as good.

like euro hip hop, American beer lacks the pedigree and ownership of euro beer.

it can try, but will never surpass or 'lap' that of the creators and masters.

that is no trope. that is just reality, and a soulstrut approved line of argument. as evidenced by american loathe of euroman hip hop.

I agree as a redneck american european beer snob I am, europeans still do it better in beer, america is getting better, there are a schitt ton of micro breweries doing thur' thang though. American microbreweries have been losing focus lately, coming up with fucked up flavors and spices. I don't want that. Give me good 110% beer.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Beer snobs get the bozack.

• i get if a [del]euro dude[/del] american with [del]talent[/del] a brewery wants to show that he and his peeps were into [del]Hip Hop[/del] beer making and its peripheral concepts but i think the presentation seems like cats were aping styles [del]in 94[/del]now that were already well explored by then.

weve done this too many times.

you can present all the [del]Hip Hop[/del] american beer all u want but to expect [del]Rasheed[/del]Klaus and them to equate what your doing in [del]europe[/del]the US during a fruitful time in [del]America[/del] all of europe is daunting.

Now if u said yo check out how well we interpreted the artform , then we can talk, but to think it can hold up to the architects is on some delusional shit. Or for crittics to say oh wow they used the same fuckin [del]beats[/del] recipes as the [del]popular groups[/del] bavarian beer masters and they try their best is yawn shit.

niggas complain about [del]lenny krafitz[/del] Heineken but this shit here aint no different.

Bad comparison.

• vintageinfants said:
    doesn't matter. still not as good.

like euro hip hop, American beer lacks the pedigree and ownership of euro beer.

it can try, but will never surpass or 'lap' that of the creators and masters.

that is no trope. that is just reality, and a soulstrut approved line of argument. as evidenced by american loathe of euroman hip hop.

haha I like how you've flipped the undeniable fact that Euro hip-hop sucks into some sort of evidence that US beer sucks. truly an ingenious argument.

this thread is making me thirsty; thinking of hitting one of my local spots for lunch, serving a ton of US beers on tap (and a cellar full of bottled Euro varieties): http://www.toronado.com/draft.htm

• HarveyCanal said:

I'm not even snobbing either; US rules beer like US rules hip hop; just another thing we're great at. thought I'd point that out. Harv, what you drink? Just curious. I've been into IPAs lately.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Oh,why does America get a different recipe of Heineken than what is offered/served in Holland? Never knew the answer to that.

• i haven't said anything about either sucking. i'm just saying that you cant expect anyone in any country of the world to believe that you have bootstrapped yourself as a country into becoming the worlds greatest producer of beer. it's just completely nonsensical. i think the united states has an incredible selection of beers; some very good, some completely undrinkable, others just there to take up space on the shelf. i take nothing away from you in that respect. wave a flag and spin a pinwheel for uncle sam. you're just not the first to get there and definitely not the best. plaese to accept that.

and i'm stoked for you that san fran is the best. i really am. as a matter of fact, i've been looking at your [pretty much equal to where i live] hilariously overpriced real estate listings for a potential move there. i'll meet you every thursday at a new bar in the ever-beating cultural heart of your city for a pint of your choice on my tab, but i'll always point out when you're being needlessly absurd. i only hope you would do that same.

rootlesscosmo said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I'm not even snobbing either; US rules beer like US rules hip hop; just another thing we're great at. thought I'd point that out. Harv, what you drink? Just curious. I've been into IPAs lately.

I mainly drink Mexican beers.

But my favorite American microbrew of late has been: Thirsty Goat Amber.

• I need to try that.

Mexican-wise, I've noticed an explosion over the last yr in the availability of Victoria; it's popping up in a ton of bars out here, on tap and in bottles.

• i haven't said anything about either sucking. i'm just saying that you cant expect anyone in any country of the world to believe that you have bootstrapped yourself as a country into becoming the worlds greatest producer of beer. it's just completely nonsensical. i think the united states has an incredible selection of beers; some very good, some completely undrinkable, others just there to take up space on the shelf. i take nothing away from you in that respect. wave a flag and spin a pinwheel for uncle sam. you're just not the first to get there and definitely not the best. plaese to accept that.

and i'm stoked for you that san fran is the best. i really am. as a matter of fact, i've been looking at your [pretty much equal to where i live] hilariously overpriced real estate listings for a potential move there. i'll meet you every thursday at a new bar in the ever-beating cultural heart of your city for a pint of your choice on my tab, but i'll always point out when you're being needlessly absurd. i only hope you would do that same.

I would.

Good luck with the real estate; shit is insane out here.

Holler if you make it out.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Burns said:
    Oh,why does America get a different recipe of Heineken than what is offered/served in Holland? Never knew the answer to that.

As I understand it, it's brewed according to the tastes of the market in each territory - there's a distinct difference between UK/BE Stella, UK/CZ Staropramen, UK/SE Carlsberg, etc. When it comes to lager, the words "brewed under license in the UK" generally mean you're in for a pretty anonymous pint.

After I came back from my first visit to the US, the most immediate difference I noticed between British and American brews was how syrupy the British suds were - way too much sugar and chemicals. The big difference here in Germany is the whole purity laws thing - shit just tastes better, and even the hangovers aren't as bad. When I go back to England now, I only drink the kind of stuff I can't really get in Germany - Youngs, London Pride, Timothy Taylor, Meantime, Sam Smiths, Joe Holt, etc. I dunno if I've turned into a beer snob, but I've definitely changed my drinking habits.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Bad comparison.
    Actually, it is a perfect comparison.

Pretty much every pro-US-beer sentiment in this thread has a pro-Euro-rap sentiment that parallels it exactly. And I mean exactly. If anyone thinks it's a bad comaprison, or thinks American beer deserves to be exempt from the same kind of eye-rolling as Euro rap, I'd love to hear why.

Let me guess:

"BECAUSE WE LIVE HERE!"

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    james said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Bad comparison.
    Actually, it is a perfect comparison.

Haha, I was just about to say something similar, and maybe warn VintageInfants to stop making valid comparisons as they always get jumped on.

Much easier to make a decent beer across cultures.

Much more difficult to make decent rap music across cultures.

For instance, there are non-Euro beers out there that earn respect worldwide.

Yet there are zero Euro rappers that do the same.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Much easier to make a decent beer across cultures.

Much more difficult to make decent rap music across cultures.

For instance, there are non-Euro beers out there that earn respect worldwide.

Yet there are zero Euro rappers that do the same.

Just out of curiosity, what us beer is respected worldwide? Over here we soak up so much from the usa, but beer definitely not.

• and so far as the beers that are the most consumed worldwide? neither euroman or american can lay claim to that......

CHINA

INDIA

this is not a per capita statement..... this is sheer numbers.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    *yawn*
    I live in munich, wich means i??m beyond being snobbish abou beer.
    and we soaked up hiphop and rap from the start, we were friends with he G,I??s. that was all real, and everybody had mad respect for each other.

but

if it wasn??t for euroman or asiaman HipHop would be dead now, and only crappy rap would exist.
    Didn??t the Thread title say "Leave Hip Hop Alone"? and the US Guys talk about Rap. Hell yeah, I need a Helles.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    To answer Harv's Q, and it seems strange to me, but euro rap is quite popular around the world, just not in teh USA.

cadeaux said:

if it wasn??t for euroman or asiaman HipHop would be dead now, and only crappy rap would exist.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Duderonomy said:
    To answer Harv's Q, and it seems strange to me, but euro rap is quite popular around the world, just not in teh USA.

No, it's not.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    cadeaux said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

cadeaux, you touched harvey's sore spot. From now on the discussion might get entertaining.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I dunno about that thrift store "rap"...

I love me some beer. I love me some American Beer and I love me some Euro beer.

This might be the best all around beer ever, imo...no one fucks with it:

A back burner goal of mine is to be healthy and mobile in the year 2040 when these dudes have their Millennial Anniversary and fly out there.

finelikewine said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    cadeaux said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

cadeaux, you touched harvey's sore spot. From now on the discussion might get entertaining.

because I can!

@jetwon if you come over for the celebration, give me a shout, the brewery is next to our airport.
    Then we go to rap shows.

Everyday I thank the Lord that the Germans, Italians, and Japanese could once again join forces as the Axis Powers of buying up all the Gang Starr and Beatnuts samples from US soil...because that's what really keeps hip-hop alive.

b/w

Take that, Kendrick Lamar.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    cadeaux said:

@jetwon if you come over for the celebration, give me a shout, the brewery is next to our airport.
    Then we go to rap shows.

Does google calendar go out to 2040? I will make an appointment right fucking now.

• I will entertain arguments against US beer supremacy (though said arguments would be utterly wrong).

But the Eurohiphopsucks:USbeerisawesome = Eurohiphopisgood:USbeersucks formulation is really wtf.

JectWon said:
    cadeaux said:

Then we go to rap shows.

Does google calendar go out to 2040? I will make an appointment right fucking now.

27 years from now? I??ll be there.

I don??t say eurohiphop is awesome, there are many good bits. But US Beer? I need to get to SF to prove.