Leave HipHop Alone

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    There are uncountable shitty beers in Europe. France has not a single one that can regarded as halfway decent, Swiss beer (forgive me my dear Swiss friends) are all unbelievably terrible, Italian beers are crap (yes, of course this includes Peroni), Spain doesn't have good beer. Hell, there even are some shitty beers in Germany. I wouldn't touch a Becks with a barge pole on the hottest day of the year.

On the other hand I've had really nice to amazing beers in the US. I don't buy into the IPA craze, to me that's all just terribly unbalanced stuff that will give you an ulcer if consumed in quantity and after all, that's what beer is made for.

A solid, mid level beer like this would give many overrated Euro brews a run for their money in a blind tasting and I had many other great local beers in upstate NY:

These are some personal favorites. Funny enough they're all from Louisiana, judged by my wife and I after zigzagging the US on 2 occasions covering a total of 20.000 miles and making an good effort to try as many local brews as possible:

The Andygator is not for any occasion but sometimes perfect: A hefty doppelbock, fullbodied and slightly sweet which makes it the perfect companion for spicy food like boiled crawfish... hmmmm...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• Herm said:
    "Thrift Shop" is not parody rap and these dudes are not parody rappers.

REFUSES TO CAPITULATE TO THE PRESSURES OF CONSUMERISM

• whatever anyone's view is of this song or this dude, mimicking Nate Dogg on the hook is just about the corniest thing I've heard in a while.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    Herm said:

I couldn't possibly hate this any more than I do. And I suspect that Herm loves it with a tear-soaked smile...lol.

• vintageinfants said:
    Herm said:

why does this guy hate shoes so much

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    pcmr said:

A few interesting points made there, some of which I agree with. Not sure the swipe at Azealia Banks was strictly necessary, although she really ought to think about dialing down the whole "beef-seeking missile" aspect of her persona.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    "She is, at a minimum, from Harlem, though that doesn???t mean what it used to, either."

what the hell does that mean?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    that thrift store song is such trash. i don't know how dude got over with it.

Evidently, dudes will be performing at every one of 1,000 SXSW showcases this year. Bummer.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    "beef-seeking missile"
    One of the best things I've read all week.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    "She is, at a minimum, from Harlem, though that doesn???t mean what it used to, either."

what the hell does that mean?
    I think the writer is saying that being "from Harlem" used to connote authenticity, because Harlem was--in the public imagination, at least--pretty exclusively black. Now that whiteys are moving in, there's perhaps a growing sense that Harlem is less authentic for it (see also "from Brooklyn"). Blame Bill Clinton.

But yeah, that "Thrift Store" shit is the worst, man.

• DJed a jam for the African American Studies department at the university tonight. Most requested songs were "The Wobble," "The Wop," "Run The World (Girls)" and "Thrift Shop."

I think you (okay, okay...US) old ass fools are the ones who need to leave Hip Hop alone.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    this is fucking awesome is not a hook though

• Herm said:
    DJed a jam for the African American Studies department at the university tonight. Most requested songs were "The Wobble," "The Wop," "Run The World (Girls)" and "Thrift Shop."

There's a joke somewhere in here about AZ, MLK Jr's birthday, and an African American studies department that loves them some Macklemore

• pcmr said:

what do you mean?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    pcmr said:

what do you mean?

if your hook is a how i met your mother type declaration
    your hiphop pass is revoked (in this case the song's)

Yes, DARE kid, do tell us about that real hip-hop.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    no backpackpreaching here
    basically categorization the song is pop and should be charted as such
    if he wants to channel slug for the rest of the album that's fine

• my point upthread was simply that the mimicking of Nate Dogg on the hook is beyond corny.

• parody rap?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    beyond corny.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    do they not even bother to throw token black dudes in these videos now

Again, this fool has already ruined SXSW and it's still weeks away.

Last night, upon hearing Mr. Brightside by the Killers at a bar, I blurted out to my friends that that fucking song marked the exact time when SXSW jumped the shark. I cited how it brought in a laaaaarge bunch of top40 doofuses who turned what was once a truly alternative thing into a Big Mac.

And with Thrift Shop, it's now going to be even thaaaaaat more sickening.

b/w

Plaese to not move here.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    wowo is el notorious H.E.R.M gonna defend this latest video
    that truly is parody rap
    gucci/prada sounds like a mc lyte single in comparison

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    beyond corny.

bbbbbbbbut he is just havin FUN

• wow that wasnt even funny.

• That last one is pretty old at this point. It sucks. It's more Parody Pop then Parody Rap though. Seems like they're making fun of that LMFAO shit. Regardless, I don't give it much attention and I've never heard it requested (unlike "Thrift Store.") Proud of the dudes for getting to where they are on their own (independent) terms though. I love how angry these dudes make some of you guys though. 8 pages?! Some of you give waaaay too much attention to stuff that you claim not to like. Let it go already!

Nobody's mad, just realistic.