Leave HipHop Alone

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Herm said:
    8 pages?! Some of you give waaaay too much attention to stuff that you claim not to like. Let it go already!
    No offense, but it seems like an inordinate percentage of your posts involve either wondering why people aren't talking more about something or urging them to talk less about something.

You're a good dude, but, I mean, can we live?

• james said:
    Herm said:
    8 pages?! Some of you give waaaay too much attention to stuff that you claim not to like. Let it go already!
    No offense, but it seems like an inordinate percentage of your posts involve either wondering why people aren't talking more about something or urging them to talk less about something.

You're a good dude, but, I mean, can we live?

Just reread this thread and realized pretty much half of it is a beer discussion. I don't see what you're talking about as far as my posts go, but yeah...I guess I hope(d) that my complaining about your complaining would cause you guys to be like "Oh shit...I am complaining a lot, aren't I?" I should've known better. I mean, dudes are still entertaining trolls after all these years and wondering why they're here months down the road.

I'll bow out of this thread now though. You can live.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    heard on Hot 97 this morning.

:micro:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    PLAESE TO MAKE IT STOP.

HOW DID THIS EVEN BEGIN?

AREN'T THERE ANY REGULATORS IN SEATTLE ANYMORE?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    god it's just so one dimensional..just like his song about homophobia

i heard friends saying but it's better than talking about bitches my eyes rolled back to my spine

oh well the white kweli

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    pcmr said:
    god it's just so one dimensional..just like his song about homophobia

i heard friends saying but it's better than talking about bitches my eyes rolled back to my spine

oh well the white kweli

when he makes something on this level than he'll earn that moniker:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/assaulted-over-macklemore-song-576432

???He just annoyed me,??? Malson told police. She also reportedly confessed that, ???I grabbed him around the throat??? and ???I did it for intimidation.???

i haven't said anything about either sucking. i'm just saying that you cant expect anyone in any country of the world to believe that you have bootstrapped yourself as a country into becoming the worlds greatest producer of beer. it's just completely nonsensical. i think the united states has an incredible selection of beers; some very good, some completely undrinkable, others just there to take up space on the shelf. i take nothing away from you in that respect. wave a flag and spin a pinwheel for uncle sam. you're just not the first to get there and definitely not the best. plaese to accept that.

and i'm stoked for you that san fran is the best. i really am. as a matter of fact, i've been looking at your [pretty much equal to where i live] hilariously overpriced real estate listings for a potential move there. i'll meet you every thursday at a new bar in the ever-beating cultural heart of your city for a pint of your choice on my tab, but i'll always point out when you're being needlessly absurd. i only hope you would do that same.

I would.

Good luck with the real estate; shit is insane out here.

Holler if you make it out.

:beer:

My 2nd grade daughter has now picked up on Thrift Shop from her school friends. She was singing it in my truck this morning.

Jocking Macklemore to my dismay.

Among my many fears of having kids is that they'll get into lame trends/things/interests and I will have to resist clowning them as I would do an adult.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    My 2nd grade daughter has now picked up on Thrift Shop from her school friends. She was singing it in my truck this morning.

She gets a serious latte passe, but I always love it when stubborn parents are forcibly subjected to pop culture they hate via their much hipper, generally more positive, shoulder chipless children. High five her for me please.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Shake Shake Shake(Your Booty) was my shit in 2nd Grade.

batmon said:

Funny, my daughter knows that song and regularly sings that one too.

batmon said:

LEAVE DISCO ALONE.

Herm said:
    HarveyCanal said:

She gets a serious latte passe, but I always love it when stubborn parents are forcibly subjected to pop culture they hate via their much hipper, generally more positive, shoulder chipless children. High five her for me please.

I get what you're saying here, but there's also the notion of "not knowing better."

Kids are also susceptible to bullshit marketing of toys and junkfood (indeed, it's actually engineering to appeal to them); should I stop hating on that stuff, too?

Obviously shitty music is not as harmful as transfats, but my point is that kids lack perspective. I guess what I'm saying is that Harv's kid doesn't desrve a high five for not knowing that Macklemore sucks.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Herm said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I get what you're saying here, but there's also the notion of "not knowing better."

Kids are also susceptible to bullshit marketing of toys and junkfood (indeed, it's actually engineering to appeal to them); should I stop hating on that stuff, too?

Obviously shitty music is not as harmful as transfats, but my point is that kids lack perspective. I guess what I'm saying is that Harv's kid doesn't desrve a high five for not knowing that Macklemore sucks.

Thank you.

b/w

Agreed, Rootless.

She deserves a high five for being able to sing Billie Holiday's Solitude in its entirety...yes.

But for chanting "I want to pop some tags, I got 20 dollars in my pocket"...not at all actually.

I don't have kids, so I'm definitely talking out of my ass here (--feel free to quote me on that, you clever fools!), but I never understood what's so wrong about letting kids be kids and enjoying what they enjoy at that age. Let them live their young life, be able to relate to their friends and be able to formulate their opinion (with or without parents' input) when they're old enough to decipher it. I mean, Batty was singing KC & The Sunshine Band in 2nd grade and he seemed to come out alright. I also know a grip of feminist Chicana activists that know every word to the classic Disney movies they now "hate." Why force your negative opinions and "refined" taste on your kids?

For the record, I've let her like whatever she's picked up on her own without any interference from me.

And to my surprise, it's not always mainstream fluff. For instance, she's learned to love both Bob Marley and Black Sabbath without any prompting from me or her mom.

Herm said:
    I don't have kids, so I'm definitely talking out of my ass here (--feel free to quote me on that, you clever fools!), but I never understood what's so wrong about letting kids be kids and enjoying what they enjoy at that age. Let them live their young life, be able to relate to their friends and be able to formulate their opinion (with or without parents' input) when they're old enough to decipher it. I mean, Batty was singing KC & The Sunshine Band in 2nd grade and he seemed to come out alright. I also know a grip of feminist Chicana activists that know every word to the classic Disney movies they now "hate." Why force your negative opinions and "refined" taste on your kids?

My sister threw a fit when my father refused to buy the SOS Band - Take Your Time Do It Right 45, 'cause it was about fucking.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I have a much younger sister and at one point my older brother and I thought about making fun of her love of Justin Bieber, but we decided that coming to regret the musical choices you made as a kid is a necessary part of growing up. She gets a pass until she's in her late teens.

Herm said:
    Why force your negative opinions and "refined" taste on your kids?

Actually, because this is a more accurate reflection of reality to present to a child than trying to make it seem like everything anywhere no matter what is all positive...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I expose my kids to everything from hip hop, electronic ish, classics, to tame impala and jessie ware etc. They like what they like - mostly stuff on the radio/bruno mars etc., but they also have awareness of other music. They dig some of the things I show them and surprise me with their knowledge of less mainstream music they find out about on their own.

Let em like what they like and let em be who they are. I can't stand when parents try to force their ideals or opinions on their kids. The job is to give them a foundation to decide for themselves.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Letting them develop their own tastes, etc is as important as guiding them to not be mindless consumers. No one is saying make fun of their music til they cry, but it is good if they learn to think and articulate what it is they like about the things they do. Questioning their picks and telling them what you don't like about it and them being able to say what it is that drew them to it is a pretty cool conversation to have.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yeah stifflin them will probably lead to more pop anyways
    i will expose them to as much cool stuff as possible and let them have the final say

meanwhile in hiphop crossbranding news

• going back a couple of pages, i got sufficiently hammered on a myriad of SFs finest brews over the course of yesterday

tasted great and definitely got the job done.

+1 for rootless as a gracious host and all around righteous dude, but i don't know if ill be retracting any comments from up in this bith

hahaha hell nah dude.

holler if you wanna grab a bite tonight or tmrw.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    776,000 ALBUMS SOLD.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Another white pop singer looking down their nose at "urban" culture and the supposedly malign effect it has on our society. How refreshing.

Now, obviously you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, but - to extend the cooking metaphor further - this takes the notion of having your cake and eating it to fucking ridiculous lengths.