edited January 2013 in Strut Central
maybe a :latte: but really 53 million views

thrift store anthem + hipster softness for the masses
parodyrap is the new snap music

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Parody Rap!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It's just this year's Asher Roth, though, isn't it?

I have to be completely honest here and say that, as far as rap records made by nerdy white rappers attempting to send up an aspect of hip-hop that's already been sent up a million-and-one times for an audience that hears records like this and immediately thinks, "Alright! This is the kind of rap music I like!", it raised a smile the first couple of times I heard it. Nowhere near as funny, however, as supposedly legit rap bloggeurs churning out 5000 words about the accompanying album in the same breathless manner that you'd expect them to reserve for, say, a genuinely great new Nas album.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    It's just this year's Asher Roth, though, isn't it?.

Wasn't Asher Roth "serious" though?
    Just Sayin....

I recall dude was on a Rap Magazine cover w/ other mcs as " dudes to look for in 2000-whatever....I think it was the Source.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Probably the most depressing Freshman cover yet - out of all the possible choices they managed to pick three genuinely decent artists and they're all pretty far from freshman. 2013's will no doubt beat it hands down though.

B/w I'm with Doc on this one. This track is far from the worst offender in this category.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i've seen much worse namely 3oh3
    my problem is parodyrap is too easy to execute...the fact it only takes a couple of jokes..a delivery that hugh jackman could pull off at the golden globes and a video budget to jumpstart a career is harrowing

there are some huge numbers in france for some joke songs and the crossover to marketing has been anoying (top chef rappin commercial recently)

this little project fit at best for HSchool talent show flashmob effort will generate more capital than all of starlito and cie's efforts

unfortunately the riffraff,kitty pride,kreashawns reverse bamboozle factor remains perniciously omnipresent
    black comedy rap would clearly have the same A&R appeal

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

• POST-HOP ERA

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Frat-rap is the new trap ya heard

i know hiphop has entered the mainstream cannon a while back
    saying bling on CNN and superman that ho on fox football but the execution of rhyming had not yet been coopted
    there was a battlerap fundraiser with reality tv stars organised by a leading political party here to get the youth to vote
    i just don't want to see a zoey deschannel grammy nominated parodyrap album produce by lorne micheals nawhmean

and where is da trueschool god Weird Al to rain in these yungns

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Many view the entire history of Euroman Rap as the same as this crud.

In fact, these clown dudes taking all that 4 elements of hip-hop business less seriously is a breath of fresh air in comparison.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

no but seriously harv i suggest you look at french group Iam to get a glimpse of euroman historic evolution
    they went from being the french righteous teachers to the french wutang and some of the dudes had serious pengame/flow and the beats can't be fronted on
    there is no comparison

i prefer das racist joke approach to some 4 elements revivalism...but the pop version is horrible and its too succesful
    I mean A$AP an'em have parents scratching there heads at least and pushing teens to push boundaries
    this is some corny shit and the comments section make me want to gag

Many [who?] view the entire history of Euroman Rap as the same as this crud. [citation needed]

American fans of rap.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    pcmr said:
    french righteous teachers

:killin_it:

b/w

Didn't we already establish that Money Boy is an intentional joke?

DJ_Enki said:
    pcmr said:
    french righteous teachers

:killin_it:

b/w

Didn't we already establish that Money Boy is an intentional joke?

Evidently not.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    obviously i was joking
    but the eurorap debate has no place here
    go check the old thread...would not mind a bump actually

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    "Thrift Shop" is not parody rap and these dudes are not parody rappers.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    also those muted horn samples are grueling since that jlo track
    herm you consider them artists and not gimmicky

• UK Rhymers are not necessarily to my taste but it'd be pure folly to write them off.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    is there one rap thread on this board in which Harvey and/or Batmon don't impose their narrow minded and limited view on us?
    They might be good contributors on other topics but in rap threads they put me off instantly. :dodododo:

pcmr said:
    also those muted horn samples are grueling since that jlo track
    herm you consider them artists and not gimmicky

I do. They are more Atmosphere than "Lemme Smeng It." I can see how this song on its' own can lead some people to consider it a joke, but I and plenty others can relate. (I've never stepped into a thrift store strictly for records.) These dudes have been around for a long time. One of the most successful indie rap acts out these days too.

There's so much good rap out there, and I hate to generalize, but it seems like the majority of Soulstrut are quick to dismiss anything that's not on the far ends of the respective boom bap and hood rap spectrums.

http://macklemore.bandcamp.com/track/north-by-northwest-jake-one-remix

(Not sure how to embed ^that^.)

• Herm said:

i can see how this song on its' own can lead some people to consider it a joke, but I and plenty others can relate. These dudes have been around for a long time.

classic euroman reply

Jaggerz said:

euroman

SP 1200 said:
    UK Rhymers are not necessarily to my taste but it'd be pure folly to write them off.

Like what you like. But to me, the rhyming on that example is horrid. It's like over-regurgitated boom-brap 101. Nothing for me to do but write that off.

finelikewine said:
    is there one rap thread on this board in which Harvey and/or Batmon don't impose their narrow minded and limited view on us?
    They might be good contributors on other topics but in rap threads they put me off instantly. :dodododo:

Yes, not liking knock-off bullshit is narrow-minded.

b/w

This Is Rapland. This Is How We Feel.

• thatsthejokeherm. you americans should stay away from hiphopreggae and streetsoul.

• HarveyCanal said:
    SP 1200 said:
    UK Rhymers are not necessarily to my taste but it'd be pure folly to write them off.

Like what you like. But to me, the rhyming on that example is horrid. It's like over-regurgitated boom-brap 101. Nothing for me to do but write that off.

Looks like it's a cultural thing, I can't bring myself to listen to much Southern USA output.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    finelikewine said:

What's the hell? Are you saying Batmon and Harvey get to go into people's homes, throw out all their garbage records and replace them with what they deem worthy?
    How do I get that gig??? I'm opinionated, too!
    Honest!
    Go on, ask me something!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    finelikewine said:

b/w

Euromen sold that "knock-off bulshit" quite often back to you very succesfuly.

finelikewine said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    finelikewine said:

b/w

Euromen sold that "knock-off bulshit" quite often back to you very succesfuly.

Name names. I can't think of anything except Twilight Zone by Moses P which was a club hit in Houston circa 1989. It was a clear knock-off of Paid in Full but we liked it nonetheless.