Leave HipHop Alone

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    SP 1200 said:
    Got to laugh at the dismissal of the late 80's/early 90's UK scene from Harvey. As an uneducated Brit, can you make me aware of what came out of the Southern USA scene from that time please?

2 Live Crew.

And it ain't just me dismissing British rap. It's never really been on anyone's radar over here. Like I said, one instrumental from Derek B which was adopted by NOLA deejays/producers during the early 90's...and unless you are citing Soul II Soul as rap, really nothing else.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Controller_7 said:
    Macklemore from Texas = that real shit, y'all don't know.
    Macklemore from Seattle = parody rap

?

Just a guess.

One, I haven't mentioned Texas rap once in this thread. Two, I like all kinds of different rap music, from all over...always have. For instance, Macklemore mentions the Do the Math compilation in that Town video. That's my shit right there. Has been since it dropped. What you know about some Samson S and H-Bomb?

Samson is the homie. He posted here on Soulstrut for a short time a few years back. He is cool and still living here in Seattle. I have not seen H-Bomb in years.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    SP 1200 said:
    Got to laugh at the dismissal of the late 80's/early 90's UK scene from Harvey. As an uneducated Brit, can you make me aware of what came out of the Southern USA scene from that time please?

2 Live Crew.

And it ain't just me dismissing British rap. It's never really been on anyone's radar over here. Like I said, one instrumental from Derek B which was adopted by NOLA deejays/producers during the early 90's...and unless you are citing Soul II Soul as rap, really nothing else.

Sayin' though. We feel about British and Euro rap the way you folks feel about American cheese.

• DB_Cooper said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    SP 1200 said:

2 Live Crew.

Sayin' though. We feel about British and Euro rap the way you folks feel about American cheese.

beer and rap: no one is even seeing the US in either category.

• You're joking about the beer surely?

• SP 1200 said:
    You're joking about the beer surely?

I'm totally not.

In the last 20 yrs the US has totally lapped everyone.

We have the best local beers in the world, AND the greatest availability of good imports.

(Disclaimer: I live in a major US city.)

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    SP 1200 said:

I'm totally not.

In the last 20 yrs the US has totally lapped everyone.

We have the best local beers in the world, AND the greatest availability of good imports.

(Disclaimer: I live in a major US city.)

Take that sh*$t to www.U-S-A-U-S-A-U-S-A.com

• some sensitive beer drinkers in here!

for real tho I don't think anyone seriously debates this point anymore.

name the best beer in your country and it's a safe bet I can find it in my country, PLUS our own shit, which rules.

don't be mad; just come over here and enjoy. you guys can crash with me.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    SP 1200 said:

• I have to assume you guys are either Belgian or German. At least those two are in the conversation.

I'm not sure who else could make even a straight-faced argument against my statement.

Even way, I'm right.

Cheers!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

name the best beer in your country and it's a safe bet I can find it in my country, PLUS our own shit, which rules.

What's the point of saying that?
    I can find American rap in Germany/Belgium/Mexico/El Salvador....

• cove said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

you can drink beer through the internet? I gotta see that one.

my point is that I can walk into about 100 bars in my area and choose from 10-20 great local beers and 10-20 great imports. and that's bars/restaurants, not to mention liquor shops and supermarkets. and in terms of national trends, no one is touching the US for homegrown craft/microbrews in 2013 -- nobody -- for quality and selection. it's endless.

maybe it's a Bay Area thing, but no one is fucking with my local beer experience.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    It's funny how serious some folks take shit. Just cause music's not on the radar in the States doesn't make it irrelevant/bad. A while back I was listening to some german rap from the nineties. I don't know wtf it is, I can only understand maybe 1/3 of it (german wife), but it's really really really good. Not English: not exactly cross over material for ze states.
    And how in all honesty can you take that thrift store song seriously enough to contend it sucks as rap? It's funny, which was the intent. I was in a thrift yesterday and found myself laughing at the fact I was trying on some dead granpa's shirt. Shit's real hommie. Of course it's a parody: they flex on all the hallmarks of a genre and make it absurd by inverting all the paradigms, it's works. Can't say I'd watch it more than once though...

LoopDreams said:
    Just cause music's not on the radar in the States doesn't make it irrelevant/bad.

It does to Americans. Sorry.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Just today, somebody called me a music snob simply for expressing indifference towards Thrift Shop's merits as a "fantastic hip-hop party track". I wouldn't have minded if I'd been flat-out hating on it.

The exchange did have the side benefit of reminding me of this, which is still able to make me laugh over two years after the event.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    "I Got It At Ross" IS MY LIFE.

No joke. At least 3 different locations twice a week. Sometimes for the grip 'n flip, but mostly for myself.

• MOTHERFUCKING GODDAMN ORANGE PEEL BEEF

• cove said:
    SP 1200 said:

you are outside of your mind.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    cove said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

my point is that I can walk into about 100 bars in my area and choose from 10-20 great local beers and 10-20 great imports. and that's bars/restaurants, not to mention liquor shops and supermarkets. and in terms of national trends, no one is touching the US for homegrown craft/microbrews in 2013 -- nobody -- for quality and selection. it's endless.

maybe it's a Bay Area thing, but no one is fucking with my local beer experience.

this sounds like yuichi talking about the lakers/kobe

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    cove said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

toothlesscosmo may be onto something,sorta, we being the US of A may have plenty of local beers but most are crap to any belgian or german recipe. Most belgian beers being made in America are using yeast from Belgium. Yes we may have plenty of choices, but its a quantity over quality in my view of our beer selection in America. I would still give Europe the upper hand in fine beer making. Fuck many of our bars in America can't even pour a damn Guiness right.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Burns said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    cove said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

toothlesscosmo may be onto something,sorta, we being the US of A may have plenty of local beers but most are crap to any belgian or german recipe. Most belgian beers being made in America are using yeast from Belgium. Yes we may have plenty of choices, but its a quantity over quality in my view of our beer selection in America. I would still give Europe the upper hand in fine beer making. Fuck many of our bars in America can't even pour a damn Guiness right.

according to this my neck of the woods (upper franconia) here in Germany has the highest concentration of breweries worldwide. Per 5511 inhabitants there is one brewery. More than 1000 different beers are made here.
    http://www.bierland-oberfranken.de/english/beer_in_upper_franconia/beer_world_champion_180.html

• vintageinfants said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    cove said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

this sounds like yuichi talking about the lakers/kobe

I resent the Yuichi comparison.

Srsly I'm not sure where you're from but it's very, very unlikely to be fucking with my local beer experience.

The whole "the US has shitty beer" thing is not only wrong, it's actually backwards.

You people are living in the past, clutching onto some very outdated tropes about the US. In the last 15-20 yrs the US has left most of the world in the dust beerwise.

Dont' take my word for it; come through to SF; first round's on me.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

The whole "the US has shitty beer" thing is not only wrong, it's actually backwards.

Yeah, people need to get off that bullshit.

• DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Yeah, people need to get off that bullshit.

Agreed. Especially the trying to sell Stella, Kroenenberg and the like to the USA as some premium beers. Pretty sure there are a few thousand homeless folks in Paris and Brussells that just shit their pants while drinking those beers...real classy euro brews.

• dbl

• based on the ability to completely omit facts and trudge blindly forward with whatever stance desired, it would not surprise me to one day see a thread on here where it is argued that america is better at being european than any other country in the world.

• vintageinfants said:
    based on the ability to completely omit facts and trudge blindly forward with whatever stance desired, it would not surprise me to one day see a thread on here where it is argue that america is better at being european than any other country in the world.

Yeah, it is completely unimaginable to think in the last 2 decades, the USA improved its beer industry in both quality and quantity and that it is growing faster than any other country's.

The_Hook_Up said:
    vintageinfants said:
    based on the ability to completely omit facts and trudge blindly forward with whatever stance desired, it would not surprise me to one day see a thread on here where it is argue that america is better at being european than any other country in the world.

Yeah, it is completely unimaginable to think in the last 2 decades, the USA improved its beer industry in both quality and quantity and that it is growing faster than any other country's.

Doggie is just mad 'cause nobody has yet claimed that Canada belongs in the "world's best" argument for beer.

They don't. Sorry, J***.

• doesn't matter. still not as good.

like euro hip hop, American beer lacks the pedigree and ownership of euro beer.

it can try, but will never surpass or 'lap' that of the creators and masters.

that is no trope. that is just reality, and a soulstrut approved line of argument. as evidenced by american loathe of euroman hip hop.

Please to peep the beer menu at the spot around the corner from my last place in Boston. 112 taps, 380 bottled beers.

Peep game, Europe.