Leave HipHop Alone

Comments

• *conspiracy
    thread was about ameriman sap rap and you cats made it about euroman & texas.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    bassie said:
    finelikewine said:
    is there one rap thread on this board in which Harvey and/or Batmon don't impose their narrow minded and limited view on us?
    They might be good contributors on other topics but in rap threads they put me off instantly. :dodododo:

What's the hell? Are you saying Batmon and Harvey get to go into people's homes, throw out all their garbage records and replace them with what they deem worthy?

This might explain how that Hot Boyz Record came in my possession. :wow:

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    finelikewine said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    finelikewine said:
    is there one rap thread on this board in which Harvey and/or Batmon don't impose their narrow minded and limited view on us?
    They might be good contributors on other topics but in rap threads they put me off instantly. :dodododo:

Yes, not liking knock-off bullshit is narrow-minded.

b/w

This Is Rapland. This Is How We Feel.

Euromen sold that "knock-off bulshit" quite often back to you very succesfuly.

Name names. I can't think of anything except Twilight Zone by Moses P which was a club hit in Houston circa 1989. It was a clear knock-off of Paid in Full but we liked it nonetheless.

I'm not talking about rap music.
    British Invasion, Electric Blues, Punk and recently the worst "EDM" imaginable.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    finelikewine said:

This is some bullshit.

PMCR started this thread and your talmbout me?

Fuck outta here. I dont like every thing...deal with it.

Sick off this soft ass like everything bullshit attitude.

Bad taste in music is Bad taste PERIOD.

Go remix Bongo Rock fuckin robots.

• ^drink taken.

• Someone tell me how to embed please.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Look, I'm not a fan of the song nor Macklemore, but when you watch that video and see/hear him rapping, doesn't he look/sound like he's being himself? I mean, yeah, he's stylistically adhering to certain long-established rhyming patterns and punchline techniques and such, but even as a whiteguy he still manages to come across as an original human being rather than a pre-programmed boom-brap robot with seemingly defective mouthpiece parts.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I will leave hip hop alone if you promise to leave anarcho punk alone.

Oh, you did.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Now ^THAT'S^ Parody Rap??.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    ?? new location

bw

skel said:

Oh, you did.

:comedy_gold:

I don't ride for any EU mc's specifically, but...

There was always the odd mc doing stuff in the EU in the 80's and 90's - like blade, silver bullet, derek b, hi-jack and them in the UK and mc solaar in France who crossed over with guru for example - and quite a few producers. Monie Love and Slick Rick were both from the UK originally. Nowadays every country in the world outside of Canada and the US have rappers in their native language that blow up locally and find mainstream appeal, from France through Sweden to, i don't know, Lithuania probably.- i even remember that clown Jovanotti used to be big in Italy in the 80's when i took vacations there bitd.

Local rap has become part of the mainstream all over the EU. The only EU heads checking for underground US rap are hardcore hip hop heads. I don't see any internationally successful rap stars from Europe though. Maybe a guy like Dizzee Rascal was able to tour and fill venues stateside as well as in the UK/EU - although hes more on the grime side, hes still an mc generally speaking - i think the streets did ok in the us as well? A lot of such artists arguably have found broader appeal than local southern rappers purely in terms of numbers and sales.

15:04

Still, there's no point to an EU vs Texas argument. And no rap fan in their right mind would claim Europe can see the US in terms of quality and output in any way.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    Herm said:
    "Thrift Shop" is not parody rap and these dudes are not parody rappers.

Yeah.
    All because this track is lighthearted why does that make it parody rap?
    I'm not into these guys but have heard a couple of tracks of theirs that I like, including this one.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i did not hear the rest and had a knejerk reaction
    however my points about the raps still hold weight since a lot of joke songs are major hits ....in...................France!)
    this thrift thing is not a parody but does sound corny as fuck

• Noz had it as one of his best songs for the year. Last place, but on the list. I can never tell if people on here like Noz or not though. So, there's that.

Controller_7 said:
    Noz had it as one of his best songs for the year. Last place, but on the list. I can never tell if people on here like Noz or not though. So, there's that.

It's a good song. Fun, relatable to lots of folks, dancefloor friendly (at least when I play it/heard it played in the clubs), fun video...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bassie said:

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Ben aka Macklemore is a good dude. His music might not be for everyone on this board, but you can't knock his hustle. The latest album debuted at #2 on Billboard the week it was released doing 78,000 + units INDEPENDENT. He and Ryan have put in a lot of time on the road. Dude really loves thrift stores and really wears stuff like that here in the town. He will often show up at gigs as a surprise guest and jump on stage to rock with lots of up and coming local rap artists here in Seattle. Dude reps the town to the fullest. Always been a nice guy and I have never heard anything bad about him. The song has already gone platinum.

Just my two cents.

• HarveyCanal said:
    finelikewine said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    finelikewine said:

Yes, not liking knock-off bullshit is narrow-minded.

b/w

This Is Rapland. This Is How We Feel.

Euromen sold that "knock-off bulshit" quite often back to you very succesfuly.

Name names. I can't think of anything except Twilight Zone by Moses P which was a club hit in Houston circa 1989. It was a clear knock-off of Paid in Full but we liked it nonetheless.
    Had to go throw that on haha

• staxwax said:
    ?? new location

bw

skel said:

Oh, you did.

:comedy_gold:

I don't ride for any EU mc's specifically, but...

There was always the odd mc doing stuff in the EU in the 80's and 90's - like blade, silver bullet, derek b, hi-jack and them in the UK and mc solaar in France who crossed over with guru for example - and quite a few producers. Monie Love and Slick Rick were both from the UK originally. Nowadays every country in the world outside of Canada and the US have rappers in their native language that blow up locally and find mainstream appeal, from France through Sweden to, i don't know, Lithuania probably.- i even remember that clown Jovanotti used to be big in Italy in the 80's when i took vacations there bitd.

Local rap has become part of the mainstream all over the EU. The only EU heads checking for underground US rap are hardcore hip hop heads. I don't see any internationally successful rap stars from Europe though. Maybe a guy like Dizzee Rascal was able to tour and fill venues stateside as well as in the UK/EU - although hes more on the grime side, hes still an mc generally speaking - i think the streets did ok in the us as well? A lot of such artists arguably have found broader appeal than local southern rappers purely in terms of numbers and sales.

15:04

Still, there's no point to an EU vs Texas argument. And no rap fan in their right mind would claim Europe can see the US in terms of quality and output in any way.

Blade/Hijack/London Posse etc. era was a good time for UK hip hop.

Britain's greatest contribution to hip-hop at large...

Bonus Beats from the Derek B's Rock the Beat 12".

NOLA bounce thanks you profusely for that one.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    Ben aka Macklemore is a good dude. His music might not be for everyone on this board, but you can't knock his hustle. The latest album debuted at #2 on Billboard the week it was released doing 78,000 + units INDEPENDENT. He and Ryan have put in a lot of time on the road. Dude really loves thrift stores and really wears stuff like that here in the town. He will often show up at gigs as a surprise guest and jump on stage to rock with lots of up and coming local rap artists here in Seattle. Dude reps the town to the fullest. Always been a nice guy and I have never heard anything bad about him. The song has already gone platinum.

Just my two cents.

+1

I can already hear the "but...he's such a nice guy!" comments a comin'...

For whatever it's worth, he's a great dude and has worked incredibly hard to get where he's at. I don't think anyone - Mack included - ever anticipated the level of success he's had. Ben's a very down to earth, humble dude. It might not be for everyone, but he's doing his thing and being true to himself.

Oakland = The Town.

• Macklemore from Texas = that real shit, y'all don't know.
    Macklemore from Seattle = parody rap

?

Just a guess.

Controller_7 said:
    Macklemore from Texas = that real shit, y'all don't know.

?

Just a guess.

One, I haven't mentioned Texas rap once in this thread. Two, I like all kinds of different rap music, from all over...always have. For instance, Macklemore mentions the Do the Math compilation in that Town video. That's my shit right there. Has been since it dropped. What you know about some Samson S and H-Bomb?

HarveyCanal said:
    Controller_7 said:
    Macklemore from Texas = that real shit, y'all don't know.

?

Just a guess.

One, I haven't mentioned Texas rap once in this thread. Two, I like all kinds of different rap music, from all over...always have. For instance, Macklemore mentions the Do the Math compilation in that Town video. That's my shit right there. Has been since it dropped. What you know about some Samson S and H-Bomb?

Love that album cassette.

That one and 14 Fathoms Deep. Can't remember which, but one of 'em has a song called "Relentlessly" and one time when I was visiting DV One he was rushing to his Mom's house (in the car) singing "relentless pee" 'cause he had to go real bad. Word to Lord Fauntleroy.

• I was just teasing. Your regional loyalties are strong.

• I know H-bomb used to live on my street & asked to borrow my lawnmore one time.
    What up Chan & Herm!
    Straight up, Ben is from the town, had a video shoot a couple years back were he invited the 206 Z's.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Oakland = The Town.

All day.

• Got to laugh at the dismissal of the late 80's/early 90's UK scene from Harvey. As an uneducated Brit, can you make me aware of what came out of the Southern USA scene from that time please?