Wal Mart Bags at Thrift Stores

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    Frank said:
    white_tea said:
    Whoa whoa whoa, Palm oil? You down with deforestation?

Palm oil gets extracted from the fruit of the oil palm so nobody is chopping down a palm tree for the oil.

It's a different situation with palm wine which is the fermented sap from the same tree where the palm wine tapper chops out a triangular chunk right from the center of the top of the palm tree so the sap can be collected. Traditionally with a calebasse, nowadays usually with plastic containers. Insects introduce microbes to the liquid which instantly begins to ferment. The tree slowly begins to wilt and fully dies within a few months. In Ghana they fell the tree to eliminate the hazardous climbing and put a fire under the trunk which speeds up the sap extraction and also makes for a sweeter sap and a more potent brew.

In regards to the bags: You can easily stick it to the man by asking the clerk to turn the bag inside out.

frank, the issue isnt with the deforestation of palm trees, but have rainforest or other natural habitat that is razed to make way for more soy, corn, palm, grazing fields and other short term profitable ventures

Unless you live in the trunk of a tree that never wimpers, just stop.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Frank said:
    white_tea said:

Palm oil gets extracted from the fruit of the oil palm so nobody is chopping down a palm tree for the oil.

It's a different situation with palm wine which is the fermented sap from the same tree where the palm wine tapper chops out a triangular chunk right from the center of the top of the palm tree so the sap can be collected. Traditionally with a calebasse, nowadays usually with plastic containers. Insects introduce microbes to the liquid which instantly begins to ferment. The tree slowly begins to wilt and fully dies within a few months. In Ghana they fell the tree to eliminate the hazardous climbing and put a fire under the trunk which speeds up the sap extraction and also makes for a sweeter sap and a more potent brew.

In regards to the bags: You can easily stick it to the man by asking the clerk to turn the bag inside out.

Ah, I like fresh palm wine. I think he means they're chopping down primary forest for palm oil plantations. Hi Frank!

• rock, it doesnt always have to be such an all or nothing matter of inflexibility-or-youre-a-hypocrite/idiot.
    id rather not rock a wal mart bag if i can. but if i have to, will i go there and buy something? sure. rarely happens, but i could liev with my values if i did. i think in the end its important to think and be conscious of our purchases, who it supports, how it was made, what is its lifespan, etc. Where possible, decisions are made in line with our values. The hope is that the unseen practices involved in the product will slowly shift progressively

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    whats wrong with walmart?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:

These people clearly hate value shopping and low, low prices. I, however, am a man of the people, and may have to purchase a bag of bacon ranch popcorn from the local Walmart to demonstrate my bond with my working class brethren.

ENJOY YOUR TOFU STEAKS YOU FUCKING HIPPIES

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    oh man that popcorn looks good

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    oh man that popcorn looks good

It is. It's amazing. These ivory tower bughuggers don't know what they're missing.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    skel said:
    Rockalogic in full effect.

I won't find that dollar boscoe, I won't have stepped in that satanic mill in the first place.

This is not about righting the worlds wrongs, it's about how you retain your integrity in the face of a shifting moral corporate compass.

"Hey Skel, This is your mate 'Arold. I was in that Right Wing Satan Workshop Charity Shop today and they had this LP called Boscoe...still sealed for a buck...I know you are in to those vinyls so I thought I'd give you a heads up"

"Thanks, but I can't step foot into that shop...... my massive integrity just won't allow it".

• HarveyCanal said:

Unless you live in the trunk of a tree that never wimpers, just stop.

just stop what? pray tell, resident wise one

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Boscoe is meh.

Now if it was a minty Tubby Hayes 'Village', different story.

Anyways, I have no dog in this particular fight.
    Walmart is not overtly in my trench, although I believe they own a chain of supermarkets called Asda.
    I have never set foot in one, not for ideological reasons, just that they don't operate near my patch.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    Frank said:
    white_tea said:

Ah, I like fresh palm wine. I think he means they're chopping down primary forest for palm oil plantations. Hi Frank!

OK... I get it. I'm still mostly thinking about West Africa when I hear palm oil and farming there is all small scale for the local demand of palm oil for cooking and for palm wine. I noticed though that large scale oil palm plantations are a problem in South East Asia and Latin America from where the oil gets exported for industrial use.

How do you cope with IKEA fueling deforestation world wide for all those Expedits?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    rock, it doesnt always have to be such an all or nothing matter of inflexibility-or-youre-a-hypocrite/idiot.
    id rather not rock a wal mart bag if i can. but if i have to, will i go there and buy something? sure. rarely happens, but i could liev with my values if i did. i think in the end its important to think and be conscious of our purchases, who it supports, how it was made, what is its lifespan, etc. Where possible, decisions are made in line with our values. The hope is that the unseen practices involved in the product will slowly shift progressively
    What he said.

I'm a little surprised to see so many grown folks in here copping out with the if-you-can't-do-everything-then-why-do-anything? stance.

james said:
    tripledouble said:
    rock, it doesnt always have to be such an all or nothing matter of inflexibility-or-youre-a-hypocrite/idiot.
    What he said.

I'm a little surprised to see so many grown folks in here copping out with the if-you-can't-do-everything-then-why-do-anything? stance.

^^^LIVES IN A CARDBOARD BOX MADE OF FEELINGS.

DB_Cooper said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

These people clearly hate value shopping and low, low prices. I, however, am a man of the people...
    I just hate clean versions. And while I've never been a man of the people, I did used to be a man of the forty-nine-cent cassingle, and Wal Mart was thee spot for that where I lived. "Definition Of A Fool," "Natural One," the Lisa Loeb "Stay" jernt--in their time they all got got the Wal Mart Way. I wouldn't do that today, but I was hungrier back then.

HarveyCanal said:
    james said:
    tripledouble said:
    What he said.

^^^LIVES IN A TINY LOG CABIN MADE OF FRENCH FRIES

• HarveyCanal said:
    james said:
    tripledouble said:
    What he said.

^^THINKS HE'S HARD CAUSE HE WEARS K-RHINO PAJAMAS
    (and gets hard every time he puts them on)

• PatrickCrazy said:

^^^ LIVES IN A WAL MART BAG TURNED INSIDE OUT BY A SALVATION ARMY EMPLOYEE

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    tripledouble said:

This.

Draw your own line, and act in accordance with your conscience. Try gentle persuasion where possible/appropriate, and avoid finger-wagging. I doubt that anyone ever truly changed their mind about anything because someone else yelled at them over it.

I've been a vegetarian for well over half my life. Even at my most militant and strident, I have never so much as raised an eyebrow at anyone else concerning their eating habits, ever. But I can tell you now, I'd be able to buy a lot of veggieburgers if I had a fiver for every time someone's demanded to know why I wear leather shoes or a leather belt if I'm a vegetarian, or has got up in my face with a mouthful of beef and said, "MMMMM! Meat!", like I'm going to be outraged at the thought of someone enjoying a bacon sandwich. GTFOOHWTBS. My conscience is my business. Like the man says, do you.

tripledouble said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    james said:
    tripledouble said:
    What he said.

^^THINKS HE'S HARD CAUSE HE WEARS K-RHINO PAJAMAS
    (and gets hard every time he puts them on)

K-Rino, homie...

james said:
    tripledouble said:
    What he said.

If you met me IRL you would realize the average person on the street who might see me with a Wal-Mart bag would say "That's why I don't shop at Wal-Mart, to avoid THAT kind of person" I sleep well at night and own few mirrors.

b/w

What would you actually do...stop shopping at the salvo and supporting their cause because they give out free Wal-Mart bags that you can refuse??

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Rockadelic said:

What would you actually do...stop shopping at the salvo and supporting their cause because they give out free Wal-Mart bags that you can refuse??

many options:
    skip the bag if you can live without it.
    joke with the thrift clerk and ask if you can have a free record for advertising wal mart against your will
    turn bag inside out.
    deal with it, fully realizing wal mart's insiduous reach into american life and culture and move on to bigger battles.

[f you met me IRL you would realize the average person on the street who might see me with a Wal-Mart bag would say That's why I don't shop at Wal-Mart, to avoid THAT kind of person
    I have to say that as far as rationalizations go, "No, see, I'm so bad-looking that when I help advertise for Wal Mart I'm actually hurting Wal Mart" is the best one I've heard in a minute. I'm a pretty ugly guy myself, and probably could have used that one back when I used to fuck with Maurice's BBQ. Oh well.

Tell me why Walmart hurts me.
    I want extra reason to avoid Asda, over and above location and pyjama clad clientele

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The epic New York Times investigation on how they bribed Mexican politicians to build a grocery store on an ancient burial ground may be cause for concern. It's an interesting tale showing a corporation so powerful that all it needs to do is build and they will come -- even some of the people that were protesting the construction were seen shopping at the store.

Cool.
    Add Walmart to snickers, Kraft, starbucks, Boots, Starburst et al.
    And salt/vinegar crisps in a green bag.
    Green! Smfh

Fuck them corporate cunnies.

I'll tell you a first hand story about Wal-Mart but have to do so carefully as to not compromise myself..... so some explicit details will be left out or slightly changed.

Wal-Mart approached what we will call CompanyX and asked them to develop a product that would be used by Wal-Mart employees in every Wal-Mart store on a daily basis. They gave them performance and price parameters as well as a commitment on minimum quantities. CompanyX spent 3% of their potential earnings on Research & Development, Wal-Mart approved the product and signed a three year contract.The product was not patentable. The first year CompanyX made $7 million dollars in net profit with a 58% GP. The second year the price of the raw materials went up and their profit went down to $5 million with a GP of about 42%. The third year CompanyX decided that they could increase their profit and GP in the long run by investing $3 million in new manufacturing equipment and did so. At the end of 3 years the owners of CompanyX had split $13 million and had supported 15 employees with a very nice annual income.

After the three year contract was up Wal-Mart put out the product for bid and CompanyX built the price of their new equipment into their quote. Another company came in with a lower price, CompanyX lost the Wal-Mart business and could not afford to continue to pay for the equipment. They went out of business, 15 people lost their jobs and they all blamed the evil Wal-Mart corporation.

Wal-Mart is a shrewd company that rarely makes a decision that hurts their bottom line. They are in a continuous state of cutting cost and increasing profit. This is the same exact tact that CompanyX tried and failed at. The above scenario happens within the halls of Wal-Mart literally 100's of times a year. If an item they carry sells above a certain monetary level they have a division who has it "knocked off" to increase their profit margin and the original supplier is shown the door. As a result they are also able to provide their merchandise at the lowest price possible to their shoppers.

You can judge this as sleazy, immoral or just a shrewd way to do business....their success speaks for itself.

Yeah, I've heard many variations of that same tale: "Wal Mart destroyed my business, which existed almost wholly because of Wal Mart." Shit is not not complicated.

(In a side note: This may not be the place, but doesn't Ross Hogg have a somewhat white-knuckle story involving a Wal Mart parking lot and a truck tire?)

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    CompanyX decided that they could increase their profit and GP in the long run by investing $3 million in new manufacturing equipment and did so.

FAIL. They looked at the long-term, but in the final year of a contract, with no promise of more from the client? I am a gambling man, but even Han Solo would baulk at them odds.