Wal Mart Bags at Thrift Stores

TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
I first noticed this at Salvation Army. Apparently Wal-Mart donated bags so when people buy stuff and walk out the store Wal Mart gets free advertising. I thought maybe this was exclusive to Salvo but today I saw the same thing going down at a more indie/non-chain thrift. Anyone else irked by this shameless intrusion on the sanctity of beloved Thrift stores?

:talib:

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    I first noticed this at Salvation Army. Apparently Wal-Mart donated bags so when people buy stuff and walk out the store Wal Mart gets free advertising. I thought maybe this was exclusive to Salvo but today I saw the same thing going down at a more indie/non-chain thrift. Anyone else irked by this shameless intrusion on the sanctity of beloved Thrift stores?

:talib:

Not really. Thrift stores 'bout some Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I usually tell them "No bag" anyway and walk out with the records under my arm.

• white_tea said:

Not really. Thrift stores 'bout some Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I usually tell them "No bag" anyway and walk out with the records under my arm.

I usually opt out of the bag option as well. I guess it's the idea of a large chain store (Wal Mart in particular) usurping a smaller store's resources for ad space that bothers me.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    I usually opt out of the bag option as well. I guess it's the idea of a large chain store (Wal Mart in particular) usurping a smaller store's resources for ad space that bothers me.

Yup. I agree, especially so because I loathe Wal-Mart.

TheKindCromang said:
    white_tea said:

Fair point. I know for a while J.C. Penny's or some other mid-tier department store was giving out coupon's to Goodwill if you bought something at the department store -- a promotion I supported, even if I cringe every time they say, "Thank you for supporting our mission."

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    white_tea said:

Normally I try and get a double plastic with a paper bag in the middle. Save the whales but shoot the seals-R

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Really, does walmart need advertising?

This is about them being associated with good causes on the cheap.
    A million bags cost about ten bucks.

It's buying a bit of immunity from a public increasingly hostile to big business tax dodges and crappy practices that are now becoming visible thanks to the transparency afforded by the web.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If I can't do ALL of my shopping at Walmart, I like to use their bags to pretend that I have.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wal-Mart donates books, or money for books, to libraries and schools.
    In exchange inside children's books you will find a 'donated by wal-mart' sticker.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Thrifts around my way have been using big-box/large grocery chain donated bags for years. Doesnt really bother me.

Also,
    Goodwill is stocked pretty heavily from the "salvaged" returns from Target and other retailers.
    Im pretty sure both Goodwill and ARC (and others im sure) sell thier excess stock to "for profit thrifts" like Savers.

Thrifts have gained a much larger chunk of the retail landscape, especailly during the Great Recession.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    First World Problems.......OMG Wham broke up.

a first world problem that doesn't want to promote and enable "third world" problems

bassie said:
    a first world problem that doesn't want to promote and enable "third world" problems

How much does evil Wal- Mart having bags in thrift stores really impact our lives?

And do they drop them off and run away, or does the thrift store get money from this?

It has to only impact my life for it to matter?

I have no idea how it works.

• i think WALMART hasn't really needed to advertise in well over a decade now. as a matter of fact, if i were one of their media svengali's, i'd probably trying to come up with ways for people to not even notice that they're already AT walmart.

A rat done bit my sister Nell.
    (but Wal-mart has bags up in the thrift shop)
    Her face and arms began to swell.
    (and Wal-mart has bags up in the thrift shop)
    I can't pay no doctor bill.
    Ten years from now I'll be payin' still
    (while Wal-mart has bags up in the thrift shop)
    The man jus' upped my rent las' night.
    ('cause Wal-mart has bags up in the thrift shop)
    No hot water, no toilets, no lights.
    I wonder why he's uppi' me?
    ('cause Wal-mart has bags up in the thrift shop?)
    I wuz already payin' 'im fifty a week.
    (with Wal-mart has bags up in the thrift shop)
    Taxes takin' my whole damn check,
    Junkies makin' me a nervous wreck,
    The price of food is goin' up,
    An' as if all that shit wuzn't enough:
    A rat done bit my sister Nell.
    (and Wal-mart has bags up in the thrift shop)
    Her face an' arm began to swell.
    Was all that money I made las' year
    (for Wal-mart has bags up in the thrift shop?)
    How come there ain't no money here?
    (Hmm! Wal-mart has bags up in the thrift shop)
    Y'know I jus' 'bout had my fill
    (of Wal-mart has bags up in the thrift shop)
    I think I'll sen' these doctor bills,
    Airmail special
    (to Wal-mart has bags up in the thrift shop)

• It's a Wal Mart bag
    There's no need to be afraid
    At Salvation Army
    We let in light and we banish shade

And in our world of plenty
    We can spread a smile of joy
    Throw your arms around a Wal Mart bag

But say a prayer
    for the other ones
    without their Wal Mart bags it's hard
    But when you're having fun

There's a world outside your window
    And it's a world of dreaded fear
    Where the only water flowing
    Is a bitter sting of tears

And the Salvation Army bells that ring there
    Are the clanging chimes of doom
    Well tonight, thank God, it's them
    Instead of you

And there won't be Salvation Army bags at Wal Mart
    The greatest gift they'll get this year is life
    Where nothing ever grows, no rain or rivers flow
    Do they know they're Wal Mart's bags at all?

Here's to you
    Raise your glass for everyone
    Here's to them
    Underneath that burning sun
    Do they know they're Wal Mart's bags at all?

Feed the world
    Give them all free Wal Mart bags
    Feed the world
    Feed the world

vintageinfants said:
    i think WALMART hasn't really needed to advertise in well over a decade now. as a matter of fact, if i were one of their media svengali's, i'd probably trying to come up with ways for people to not even notice that they're already AT walmart.

#boom

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BAG AIN'T ONE

I GOT A BAG OF MY OWN!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Sayin'. Don't y'all just use your Mcneal and Niles - Thrust tote bags whilst record shopping anyway?

I'm going to pull a Rock here:

You are out and about and happen to do some shopping. You are usually a model green citizen who carries their own grocery bags, reusable coffee mug and compost-friendly underwear, but today you're walking light.
    You make a few purchases and the store-owner pulls out a bag emblazoned with

Coulter for President! or
    Yes to Prop 8! or
    the Taco Cid graphic

It's true, this shop giving out these bags is no skin off your organic, sustainable palm oil lotioned ass and there are definitely bigger worries in the world, but you don't agree with what any of this branding stands for - do you take the bag and KIM?

(no funny ironic bag-carrying either!)

Whoa whoa whoa, Palm oil? You down with deforestation?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    bassie said:

the Taco Cid graphic

^That^ sh*t pisses me off, but only 'cause I bet the owners are some goddamn Republican Mexicans whose grandma came over from Mexico "the right way" (i.e. married an American or some bullsh*t like that) and now wanna close the door on other folks trying to come over. I can't wait 'til they get busted for employing undocumented folks and paying 'em pennies under the table. Sellout ass Mexican hypocrites.

Now THIS on the other hand is HILARIOUS. F*cked up yes, but hilarious indeed:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/07/racist-playground-sign-delaware-anti-latino-sign_n_2427133.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

If I dont shop at Wal-Mart, would taking the free bag equate with supporting Wal-Mart?

• batmon said:
    If I dont shop at Wal-Mart, would taking the free bag equate with supporting Wal-Mart?

If you walk around carrying it, I'd say yes

• i've waited long enough...................

TURN
    IT
    INSIDE
    OUT