Wal Mart Bags at Thrift Stores

Comments

• from the cradle to the grave

• Fuck plastic bags.

Matter of fact fuck plastic period.

Def one of my New Years resolutions has been to reduce the plastic in my life.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    batmon said:
    If I dont shop at Wal-Mart, would taking the free bag equate with supporting Wal-Mart?

If you walk around carrying it, I'd say yes

I put my record in it and toss it when i get home.

Who suffered?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    batmon said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    batmon said:
    If I dont shop at Wal-Mart, would taking the free bag equate with supporting Wal-Mart?

Who suffered?

Mother Earth.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If I ride the Bus with a Wal-Mart ad on the side am I supporting Wal-Mart?

If I watch a TV Show that has Wal-Mart ads am I supporting Wal-Mart?

If I buy a record at the Goodwill that has a Wal-Mart price tag on the shrink am I supporting Wal-Mart?

If I get my photo taken by a Red Light camera and there's a Wal-Mart in the background am I supporting Wal-Mart?

WTF

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Herm said:

hahaha, that shit's awesome.

Herm said:
    batmon said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    batmon said:

Who suffered?

Mother Earth.

Why u talmbout my mama?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

If I buy a record at the Goodwill that has a Wal-Mart price tag on the shrink am I supporting Wal-Mart?

If I get my photo taken by a Red Light camera and there's a Wal-Mart in the background am I supporting Wal-Mart?

WTF
    Perhaps you're just funning, but none of those things is analogous to walking around carrying a bag advertising Wal Mart..

I don't get what some of you guys aren't getting: Walking around with a bag from a retail establishment connotes economic support of said establishment (I Buy Things Here!), and economic support connotes ideological support, or at the very least an absence of disapproval.

Whether or not you consciously or actively granted any of that support doesn't matter; you're still representing as a Person Who Thinks Wal Mart Is Okay, and your visible presence in the world is adding in some miniscule way to the idea of Wal Mart's popularity, and by extension its acceptability.

I'm not saying that any of that should keep you up at night or should even matter to you at all (between you and me, though, fuck Wal Mart, straight up), but to act like there's no connection is kinda dopey.

DB_Cooper said:
    Sayin'. Don't y'all just use your Mcneal and Niles - Thrust tote bags whilst record shopping anyway?
    Any time I see a record dude buying records and loading them into his record-specific tote, it makes me wonder if he's wearing his lucky record-buying shirt, and whether he also has somewhere a record-buying hat. Perhaps some sort of pith helmet that says "RECORDS" on it.

Full disclosure: I do have a Wax Poetics Diaper Genie.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    james said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Sayin'. Don't y'all just use your Mcneal and Niles - Thrust tote bags whilst record shopping anyway?
    Any time I see a record dude buying records and loading them into his record-specific tote, it makes me wonder if he's wearing his lucky record-buying shirt, and whether he also has somewhere a record-buying hat. Perhaps some sort of pith helmet that says "RECORDS" on it.

Yeah, much cooler to use yet another plastic bag.

Horseleech said:
    james said:
    DB_Cooper said:

^^^"TOO CLOSE TO THE MATERIAL" b/w STILL SMARTING FROM CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS THAT BLACK TOTE BAGS MAKE THEIR FINDS LOOK SLIM^^^

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    james said:
    Horseleech said:
    james said:
    DB_Cooper said:

^^^"TOO CLOSE TO THE MATERIAL" b/w STILL SMARTING FROM CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS THAT BLACK TOTE BAGS MAKE THEIR FINDS LOOK SLIM^^^

All caps makes it extra hilarious.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    are you guys the same people that complain about thrifts raising prices
    cos not having to spend money on bags for every 25 cent SIKK DIGG might help them save money

james said:
    Rockadelic said:

WTF
    Perhaps you're just funning, but none of those things is analogous to walking around carrying a bag advertising Wal Mart..

I don't get what some of you guys aren't getting: Walking around with a bag from a retail establishment connotes economic support of said establishment (I Buy Things Here!), and economic support connotes ideological support, or at the very least an absence of disapproval.

Whether or not you consciously or actively granted any of that support doesn't matter; you're still representing as a Person Who Thinks Wal Mart Is Okay, and your visible presence in the world is adding in some miniscule way to the idea of Wal Mart's popularity, and by extension its acceptability.

I'm not saying that any of that should keep you up at night or should even matter to you at all (between you and me, though, fuck Wal Mart, straight up), but to act like there's no connection is kinda dopey.

Is supporting the thrift shop the same miniscule connection, whether u bring your own bag or not?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Minuscule is irrelevant.
    Personal integrity is what's important.

Whatever you are anti, you must disassociate from it entirely. There are no grey areas, no 'minuscule', no compromise.

No sell out!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    skel said:
    Minuscule is irrelevant.
    Personal integrity is what's important.

Whatever you are anti, you must disassociate from it entirely. There are no grey areas, no 'minuscule', no compromise.

No sell out!

All money is tainted doe. Everyone is working for the Roffschiles innit. They are working for the greys.

Who are working for Wal Mart.

b/w

Everytime I bite a clownburger, a kitten dies.

Hey, can't make an omlette without breaking some eggs.

When Marathon changed to Snickers, when salt n vinegar crisp bags changed colour, when Starbucks n Boots were revealed as tax dodgers, when Cadbury canned workers after promising not to, I stopped purchasing.

Think globally, act locally. I sleep well.

F*ck S*e*e, it's going to be hard to buy you that artisan coffee I owe you without it being thrown rabidly in my face, symbolising the spilt blood of innocents. WMIC.

What is your stance on the Opal Fruits > Starburst metamorphosis?

Never touched since.

Only ever liked the red and orange ones anyway. Who the fuck liked the green n yellows?
    No fucker, that's who.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If you are socially conscious enough to not want to promote Wal-Mart yet you still accept plastic bags with your purchase you are a friggin' idiot. (But, but, but what if it's raining out?....well then you won't be doing much advertising by "carrying around that bag" will you)

@ skel...If you refuse to buy that copy of Boscoe for a buck because it's in the Right Wing Satan's Workshop Charity Shop based on principle you are a friggin idiot. (But, but, but I don't want to support their evil ways!....Buy the LP, sell it for a grand and donate half the money to the Anti-Right Wing Satan's Workshop Charity Shop)

Rockalogic in full effect.

I won't find that dollar boscoe, I won't have stepped in that satanic mill in the first place.

This is not about righting the worlds wrongs, it's about how you retain your integrity in the face of a shifting moral corporate compass.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Whoa whoa whoa, Palm oil? You down with deforestation?

Palm oil gets extracted from the fruit of the oil palm so nobody is chopping down a palm tree for the oil.

It's a different situation with palm wine which is the fermented sap from the same tree where the palm wine tapper chops out a triangular chunk right from the center of the top of the palm tree so the sap can be collected. Traditionally with a calebasse, nowadays usually with plastic containers. Insects introduce microbes to the liquid which instantly begins to ferment. The tree slowly begins to wilt and fully dies within a few months. In Ghana they fell the tree to eliminate the hazardous climbing and put a fire under the trunk which speeds up the sap extraction and also makes for a sweeter sap and a more potent brew.

In regards to the bags: You can easily stick it to the man by asking the clerk to turn the bag inside out.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    james said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Yes! Like me...I carry a cut-out photo of a rabbit's foot in my wallet while diggin'.

skel said:
    Rockalogic in full effect.

I won't find that dollar boscoe, I won't have stepped in that satanic mill in the first place.

This is not about righting the worlds wrongs, it's about how you retain your integrity in the face of a shifting moral corporate compass.

How did Johnny P resolve the "Very Undesirable Skrewdriver Rekkids Issue?" (flip 'em or destroy them).

It's kind of the same problem, but it's the records themselves that are to be loathed.

You would think there were 45's in this bag, but it's strictly My Little Pony combs, hundreds of them...

Joke's on you.

I've got this tatted on one cheek...

And this on the other...

Feel me.

• Frank said:
    white_tea said:
    Whoa whoa whoa, Palm oil? You down with deforestation?

Palm oil gets extracted from the fruit of the oil palm so nobody is chopping down a palm tree for the oil.

It's a different situation with palm wine which is the fermented sap from the same tree where the palm wine tapper chops out a triangular chunk right from the center of the top of the palm tree so the sap can be collected. Traditionally with a calebasse, nowadays usually with plastic containers. Insects introduce microbes to the liquid which instantly begins to ferment. The tree slowly begins to wilt and fully dies within a few months. In Ghana they fell the tree to eliminate the hazardous climbing and put a fire under the trunk which speeds up the sap extraction and also makes for a sweeter sap and a more potent brew.

In regards to the bags: You can easily stick it to the man by asking the clerk to turn the bag inside out.

frank, the issue isnt with the deforestation of palm trees, but have rainforest or other natural habitat that is razed to make way for more soy, corn, palm, grazing fields and other short term profitable ventures