DOR said:
    Debate is in 50 mins.

Find it here I believe

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/debates/first-presidential-debate

Many thanks!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Rouuuuuuund 1....... FIGHT!

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    "and i know mr. trummp doesn't like to hink about himself as a small... anything" :lol:

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Worst zinger ever. Romney must have practiced that for weeks. too.

And Jim Lehr sucks. He should have let them go at the end.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'm not voting for him, but Romney looked strong and energized. Must have taken his vitamins this morning.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Amused at TV pundits claiming the President purposefully lost the debate.

• Romney surprised me tonight. He jumped up from lesser of two evils to slightly more (?) lesser of two evils.
    Both of them are some smug mf'ers that need to be put over somebody's knee, though.

• that was ugly. Obama got murked. Anyone saying different is lying to themselves.

• Here's my take. Obama in 2008 looked young, fresh, and ambitious. He had a gleam in his eye. His voice soared. Tonight he looked tired, older, sober, and defensive. There is less energy in his voice. Romney looked well prepared and at ease. I think Romney edged him in the debate tonight. Not that it matters, none of these debates ever really change people's minds or gives anything more than a temporary boost. Jim Lehrer needs to retire. I think this race is gonna split 51/49. It's gonna be real close.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Amused at TV pundits claiming the President purposefully lost the debate.

I did not hear those pundits.
    Looking forward to hearing their reasoning.

Pundits I listened to said Obama was rusty because he hadn't debated in so long.
    They said Romney, just by being on stage with Obama made himself seem more presidential and an acceptable alternative.

Good news for Obama is there are only 22 undecided voters in the whole country.

• Sayin tho.

Shit looked like a father scolding his son n shit. Damn

Soul Zilla said:
    Here's my take. Obama in 2008 looked young, fresh, and ambitious. He had a gleam in his eye. His voice soared. Tonight he looked tired, older, sober, and defensive. There is less energy in his voice. Romney looked well prepared and at ease. I think Romney edged him in the debate tonight. Not that it matters, none of these debates ever really change people's minds or gives anything more than a temporary boost. Jim Lehrer needs to retire. I think this race is gonna split 51/49. It's gonna be real close.

Cosign everything you said.
    I thought Lehrer had retired.

But, both candidates made some very interesting and informative policy points... Oh wait, no they didn't.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I thought Romney did well.

My only thought was the President let Romney jump in way too much. Many time Obama would state something and Romney would either do a lil interrupt or push to get the last word.

Way too many times the camera showed Obama sit back and try and be cool, calm and collected when Romney would do it.

Not that it was wrong of Romney. It just let viewers think Romney wanted it more.

I started this thread 5 months ago tomorrow and I am not back pedaling on my prediction at all.

I'm even thinking it won't be nearly as close as the polls have been showing.

Won't be long before you can tear into me or be humble.

• The vote rigging in Ohio and Florida will give Romney an edge for sure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/art-levine/mia-in-voting-machine-war_b_2054411.html

• guy_alcindor said:
    The vote rigging in Ohio and Florida will give Romney an edge for sure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/art-levine/mia-in-voting-machine-war_b_2054411.html

When you said voter rigging I thought you meant targeting the young people. I think I might go read a newspaper sometime soon.

guy_alcindor said:
    The vote rigging in Ohio and Florida will give Romney an edge for sure.

Rule #1 Always have a back-up plan.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Euro press can't imagine Obama losing...

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I just read a comment on instagram that said "I'm voting for Mitt to try something different."

I have very little faith in the intelligence of our country.

VOTE.

• Lamont said:
    Euro press can't imagine Obama losing...

They probably can't imagine that we vote like a third world country, that we have people that believe the earth is only thousands of years old on our congressional science Comittee, and that we have men who think we need to redefine rape and that rape is a gift from god as elected officials either. They probably think our country operates like a modern 21st century nation as well. Silly Europeans.

• Rockadelic said:
    I started this thread 5 months ago tomorrow and I am not back pedaling on my prediction at all.

I'm even thinking it won't be nearly as close as the polls have been showing.

Won't be long before you can tear into me or be humble.

I won't be tearing into you when your prediction doesn't pan out. The only way that Romney wins this election is if the polling (the vast majority of it) gets it wrong or there is massive voter shenanigans in critical swing states.

We just had an alleged case of voter fraud her in Oregon (a single temporary county clerk employee, so voter ID laws would have not stopped this) by a republican.
    Clackamas Co. elections employee investigated for ballot fraud
    The employee is accused of filling blank portions of ballots (when someone doesn't vote for any candidate) with Republican candidates after opening them for processing.
    This will probably have little effect here as it was one person and there is only so much damage they can do.

Voting machines make it possible for one person to massive effect the outcome of an election. Whether the reports are true or not about Ohio's machines (I really don't have a clue one way or another), it is worrisome to me. The strength and beauty of American democracy is how little fraud we actually have these days (yes, as someone with a degree in History I am well aware of how fraud and machine politics has influenced our elections in the past). Anything that lessens the confidence of voters in our political system is harmful no matter who is perpetrating it.

I will be very happy when this is all over. See you on the other side of Nov. 6th. I will be stocking up on some micro-brews to celebrate or commiserate when it is all done.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I 1500% don't want Romney to win...but those of you who either think it's bizarre that people are dissatisfied with Obama's reign to date or consider Obama to be an easy shoe-in must be living with extreme blinders on.

And to portray it as the smart versus the dumb is about as simpleton of an anlysis as it gets.

DON'T VOTE UNTIL YOU ARE ABLE TO DO BETTER!

• HarveyCanal said:

Waiting for your political savior to arrive is losers game. Vote, period.

If you don't vote then you get ignored because parties and candidates are going to look for "likely" voters.

Hold your nose and vote for the lesser two evils or vote 3rd party or write someone in (if your state allows for that).

Better yet, find like minded folks and start by taking over one party or the other's local apparatus so that your voice gets heard.

But sitting out makes your voice less likely to be heard.

Things will not change unless you make them change. Yelling from the sidelines may maintain your political "purity" but it does shit all in making a difference.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Does he mean "YOU" in the individual sense? I am not supposed to vote until I, personally, can do better? Better than what? Who?

Anybody know what this means?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Voting is next to saintliness at least. It cures cancer and stops all evil with just one push of a button. And if you don't do it, you will grow hair on the palms of your hands. But of course everyone already knows all of that.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Voting is next to saintliness at least. It cures cancer and stops all evil with just one push of a button. And if you don't do it, you will grow hair on the palms of your hands. But of course everyone already knows all of that.

Harvey, you are confusing voting with Windex. Windex is the cure all, not voting.

Voting is your franchise in this country. It is one of the greatest expression of collective action by a people. Individually our votes are one amongst many but each one is a important part of the process. Democracy is messy, it is slow, it is hard.

Yep, I am that guy, someone that still has his idealism about the power of people getting out and expressing themselves via the ballot.

• The whole election has been crazy, totally crazy but fun too. I have thoroughly enjoyed every bit. I am pumped for tomorrow, et al. It's gonna be crazy.

Word of the day is:

Crazy

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    so you let this thread go away for a month, wait until the day before the election when all forms of polling have obama at a huge favorite (the man is getting -375 on betting sites right now....) and NOW you double down??? good luck sir.

• thrope said:
    all forms of polling have obama at a huge favorite (the man is getting -375 on betting sites right now....)

I just spent 5 hours in a car listening to mostly NPR and a couple of other news stations - 'huge favorite' is definitely not the impression I got or the impression anyone on air had.

I guess I can't take betting sites seriously in these matters.